What's new

Overwatch Discussion Thread

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Anyone else feel that this game is going to struggle slightly on console because of how difficult it is to communicate with people. My friend plays on PC and typing with a keyboard is just fine for him but on console getting on mic and asking someone we need a healer or another tank and you'll be lucky if you aren't flamed. I've lost so many games because communication is ass without a party.

Noob
Anyone else feel that this game is going to struggle slightly on console because of how difficult it is to communicate with people. My friend plays on PC and typing with a keyboard is just fine for him but on console getting on mic and asking someone we need a healer or another tank and you'll be lucky if you aren't flamed. I've lost so many games because communication is ass without a party.
never tried Console Overwatch, but honestly if your looking for something a bit more serious i would seriously consider PC simply because the more high lvl tech on some characters requires very precise and fast movements something that on controllers could prove to be very hard... Do console Settings have builtin Aim assist?

As for communication, on PC we have built in Voice chat with a press of \ dont consoles have a button for that?

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Telling people they can't have an opinion because they're not at a pro level. Seriously, do you only earn the right to have an opinion on balance when you are considered a top player?
Pretty much.

I mean seriously, who's opinion should anyone believe? The pro or the rookie?

If someone from envyus or LG played mkx for a week and said post patch Tanya needed more nerfing, you'd tell him to STFU right?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Pretty much.

I mean seriously, who's opinion should anyone believe? The pro or the rookie?

If someone from envyus or LG played mkx for a week and said post patch Tanya needed more nerfing, you'd tell him to STFU right?
If only the "top players" got to have opinions, then this site and the games would all quickly die.

I'm not a "top player", but I've made tech that has changed MUs. Should that not matter because I'm just a tech guy?

I know the ins and outs of Bane better than even some of the best do, to the point where my own lack of skill and practice is the only thing that keeps me from being a "top player". Does none of that count because I'm not there yet?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Ok, well rather than arguing over OP/not OP (Blizzard is going to do what they're going to do), how about tactics, hero strategy, map strategy? Any interesting finds?

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I'm not familiar with Blizzard, do you guys think that this 20 tick issue is ever going to change?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Ok, well rather than arguing over OP/not OP (Blizzard is going to do what they're going to do), how about tactics, hero strategy, map strategy? Any interesting finds?
That's a lot to cover lol.

As far as the last tournaments go the single hero limit really made for some interesting offenses/defenses. Symmetra is used much more on defense in place of a Lucio, and on Offense Pharah/Junkrat are seeing much more play. (I think now that people realize how fast Mercy's rez charges that she has taken the place of Lucio as the #1 support)

On Gibraltar a lot of teams are starting to use a defense that is primarily focused on holding the room right after the first archway/checkpoint. They usually have a bunch of DPS and a Roadhog to hook anyone he can into the room. I know Cloud 9 has done this before and worked pretty well.

Junkrat double jump

/discuss
You should've seen it in arcade mode. I could jump off the map and go around the entire outside just by using bombs over and over. So hilarious.

The double bomb is good to get certain places you couldn't get otherwise but you can't do it so much that you are only waiting for the bomb to CD and not helping your team any other way. I personally find myself just using one bomb more often to get around, its not as fun and can't get you to the same crazy places but I contribute more that way.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
That's a lot to cover lol.

As far as the last tournaments go the single hero limit really made for some interesting offenses/defenses. Symmetra is used much more on defense in place of a Lucio, and on Offense Pharah/Junkrat are seeing much more play. (I think now that people realize how fast Mercy's rez charges that she has taken the place of Lucio as the #1 support)
Imo this depends greatly on the map and situation. Whenever a team needed speed they ran Lucio, and Lucio/Mercy is still by far the most common combination of supports overall.

There are just certain specific points (Hanamura, Hollywood first KotH point) where Symmetra shines and she maximizes her effectiveness. But anything payload-based is likely going to involve a Lucio.

Zoidberg747

Imo this depends greatly on the map and situation. Whenever a team needed speed they ran Lucio, and Lucio/Mercy is still by far the most common combination of supports overall.

There are just certain specific points (Hanamura, Hollywood first KotH point) where Symmetra shines and she maximizes her effectiveness. But anything payload-based is likely going to involve a Lucio.
You still see her run on payload maps because at a higher level teams usually set up their defense behind a chokepoint after the first turn of the payload(Archway of Gibraltar, Archway on Dorado, and the first turn on Route 66). You're still correct though because once that first chokepoint/control point falls they almost always switch back to Lucio. It was still really crazy just how many teams ran Symmetra on defense.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Feel free to add my battle.net tag for OW games -- Wemfs#1540

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Genji can keep the momentum from his swift strike with a well timed wall climb immediately afterwards.

That's pretty dope lol

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Symmetra is bae. On defense, especially on those long travel maps, she is great. That first cave on Route 66 is great for her because her turrets on the wall facing the spawn can't really be hit until you get to the other side and it will fire on people pushing the cart. Also makes for a nasty surprise, and if you set up the teleported behind the gas station sign at point 1 it overlooks it.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
never tried Console Overwatch, but honestly if your looking for something a bit more serious i would seriously consider PC simply because the more high lvl tech on some characters requires very precise and fast movements something that on controllers could prove to be very hard... Do console Settings have builtin Aim assist?

As for communication, on PC we have built in Voice chat with a press of \ dont consoles have a button for that?
I run console because I lack a computer good enough to play it. You can tweak both vertical and horizontal sensitivity quite a bit so that isn't really a problem at least from my experience.

As for communication there is built in voice chat but not everyone has a mic and console has a stigma associated with using mics so most people would rather go without voice communication than to risk the negatives.

Zoidberg747

I run console because I lack a computer good enough to play it. You can tweak both vertical and horizontal sensitivity quite a bit so that isn't really a problem at least from my experience.

As for communication there is built in voice chat but not everyone has a mic and console has a stigma associated with using mics so most people would rather go without voice communication than to risk the negatives.
What stigma are you talking about? The majority of people I play with use mics, its actually incredibly frustrating to play on a team with no mics...

Also to answer @14K other question, yes console has aim assist, as do pretty much all other console shooters.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
What stigma are you talking about? The majority of people I play with use mics, its actually incredibly frustrating to play on a team with no mics...

Also to answer @14K other question, yes console has aim assist, as do pretty much all other console shooters.
The assumption that most people on mic are complainers, flamers, 12 yos etc. It's assumed but rarely the case however because of the assumption people rarely get on mic. At least in my case I rarely see anyone on mic or trying to communicate. Maybe it'll get better with my matchmaking improves but as it stands right now playing quick match solo is a no communication zone with randoms.

Noob

Yeah, i can see that being bothersome, honestly in quick play i dont think its that big of a deal, but in ranked you surely will want a full team on party... i mean ranked with pugs will kill your mental sanity anyway =S

@Zoidberg747 Ahhh yeah i had that feeling, mostly because if it didnt, i could see some characters being ridiculously hard to play, mainly widow

FuzzyDunlop

AC/DC Bag > Ghost
Sorry guys I keep searching everywhere for the answer, what is a DPS character? Damage per second? I'm losing my mind trying to find the answer.