What's new

Overview of the most played characters.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
But how much hate you have for everyone from X onward is just goofy.
But... I stated that I like D'Vorah, Kotal Kahn and Erron Black? I don't mind seeing them back in Mortal Kombat 11. Would I have prefered to have Smoke or Rain instead of those two? Yes. But I'm not being negatively vocal about their inclusion either.
I think that Geras is an interesting character with potential. I have issues with Cetrion and Kollector. These two were not executed very well at all IMO.

So me hating everyone isn't really the case. I just dislike badly designed and executed characters. And modern Mortal Kombat certainly has some of those.

As for your Rain statement. Prior to 11 you may have had a case about him and Smoke having better stories. I know it's all subjective but I will have to point out that now other than Liu, Raiden, Shinnok, Mileena, Scorpion, Sub Zero and Quan Chi no characters have had bigger or more engaging arcs than Cassie and Jacqui have now.
1. Smoke is not a factor, since he was always too minor of a character in not only the games, but in the Mortal Kombat lore universe as a whole.

2. Rain is more or less a bad guy and bad guys never get to shine in NRS games. So he is hindered in that regard. And regardless of that, Rain is still one of the few Mortal Kombat side-characters, who don't depend on others to exist. Rain by himself and on his own plays a major role in the lore of the universe thanks to his backstory as a demi-god and a bastard child of a godking.

3. I mean... other characters haven't been given the chance to play an important role in the core story of the franchise..? That doesn't automatically make them worse than Cassie and Jacqui. You are missing my point. Again. My point is, that with Cassie and Jacqui we got more of the same. We got soldier girls, who are fighting to protect Earthrealm for... reasons.
What are those reasons? We don't know. The characters are garbage. We don't know about their motivation. Is Cassie in the army, because she desperately hopes for approval from her military workaholic mother? Is Jacqui in the army, because she wants to end war for good so that no one would ever have to suffer as much as her father did? I don't know. They're bad characters in terms of backstory. They're bad characters in terms of design, since there is nothing new and unique about them.

And all of that is me being extreeemely generous and trying to find redeeming qualities for Cassie and Jacqui. If we go past their lore, personalities and visual appearance and focus on the fighting game aspects... Can an argument be made, that they come even close to the variety and coolness you get from... for example male ninjas?
Scorpion teleports + throws spears + spits fire. Sub-Zero slides + freezes + creates ice weapons and clones. Smoke turns invisible + turns into smoke + turns you into smoke and teleports you around. Rain turns into water and rematerializes somewhere else + summons lightning + traps you in water bubbles + kicks you across the globe. Noob Saibot jumps through dimensions + summons sentient shadows + shoots ghost balls.
What does Cassie do? Oh, she kicks you in the nuts like her dad? Oh, and she green-kicks you like her dad? Oh, and she shoots guns in a less stylish way than Erron Black? Okay, but what about Jacqui Briggs? Oh, she punches and kicks and grabs you like her dad? Yeah, okay. No.

Character gameplay complexity has a very big role in terms of usage. Remember in MKX jason was one of the most popular characters, because you can learn it in 5 minutes.
Nobody plays Jacqui because she isn't beginners friendly. She relies on cancel pressure, has no projectiles, her d2 is pure crap and has a hard time getting in against zoners.
I'm not even gonna mention her second variation because it probably wasn't even tested, it's hot basura.

But I definitely prefer a character that has a traditional fighting style in my game, it's not always about having crazy magical powers.

I agree that having a lot of similar characters in one roster is a pretty bad decession, but that doesn't take away from the characters themselves.
Good points there. You actually hit the root for this never ending debate.

Many MK fans want their MK being all about magic. They find a charm that can't be found in Tekken or SF.

Unfortunately, similarities undermine some characters and the general rosters diversity, also influencing gameplay and gameplans and adchetypes to some extent.

Amneoss

Knowledge is Power
@Krankk
Generic soldier girls? Really my dude?

Cassie:
A LA valley girl turned soldier. Caught between two clashing worlds.
Honor, Respect, and Duty vs Fun, Fame, and Cockiness.
It's a duality split between Johnny (who raised her) and Sonya (abandoned them).
Techy, smug, and smiley she uses a modern & future tech with ancient Mediterranean magic and mysticism. There is more character in Cassie than at least half the Ninja cast combined. Only conteders being Sub Zero, Scorpion, Noob, and Ermac. If you really think bubble boy and the like 5th teleport ninja dude have more varied gameplay then I question you to prove it.

Jacqui:
A sweetheart that had to watch her father suffer with PTSD and Alcoholism. She wanted to live up to her fathers legacy. Trained by Sub Zero and Johnny Cage she's pretty neat there. In 11 she gets to meet young Jax who is so much more happy and witty than the father she knows. She loves her father and wants him to not suffer. But if he doesn't suffer then he never marries his therapist, Vera. No Vera, No Jacqui. She is faced with knowing that the only way she can exist is if the person she loves most lives in agony.

You weren't generous at all man.
You are clearly basing your views on nostalgia and lying to yourself about not doing so.

Last edited: