What's new

Overview of the most played characters.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I just find it interesting that people constantly trashed the Kombat Kids in the previous game due to them being “bland” or “uninteresting” when people now are complaining that Takeda isn’t even playable. It just seems like the hate was directed specifically at Cassie and Jacqui. I will admit I find Cassie to reach Mary Sue territory when it comes to her character but Jacqui honestly has a better developed character than the majority of 3D Era characters who were either uninspired, unnecessary, blown up caricatures of what they represent, or a mesh of all 3. Jacqui at least has stronger motivations and she makes us want to see her succeed as a soldier to prove to her father that she can be independent and not need his overbearing protection. I will admit that Takeda and Kung Jin arguably have much stronger arcs when we look into their backstories, but Jacqui doesn’t get as much credit as she deserves.
It's not just Cassie and Jaqui, Kung Jin wasn't liked that much either. As far as I could tell Takeda was the only kombat kid with positive response by the community, and I agree MKX wise.

Talking MK11 I think both Cassie and Jaqui have improved a lot, but I'm still not a fan of the latter. She's very fun to play though.

Amneoss

Knowledge is Power
It's not just Cassie and Jaqui, Kung Jin wasn't liked that much either. As far as I could tell Takeda was the only kombat kid with positive response by the community, and I agree MKX wise.

Talking MK11 I think both Cassie and Jaqui have improved a lot, but I'm still not a fan of the latter. She's very fun to play though.
Not going to get political but I think we know why Takeda was accepted while the rest got blasted.

I loved all the newcomers in X. I love the Kombat Kids and Kotal's Posse. Kotal legit replacing Quan Chi as my main.

Reactions: cfw

BackAtYouBro

Your name means dung heap in my tongue!
I’m just curious why people don’t like Kung Jin. I find him to be a great example of how to write a gay character. He walked down a different path in life and became a theif because he believed the White Lotus wouldn’t accept him for his sexuality and would kick him out. Not until he steals from the Sky Temple and Raiden seems to understand Kung Jin’s personal struggle. Kung Jin also never flat out stated he was gay but he heavily implied it in the Story Mode and in a couple intros (most notably the one he has with Tanya). I found NRS’s portrayal of a gay character that strayed from the explicit, flamboyant stereotype to be really well executed. Maybe that’s just me though.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I knew Scorpion would be #1, he is just so easy to pickup and get at a decent level for anyone. (no offense to high level players that use him obviously) It's probably more like 40-50% for me encountering a Scorp player online...

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Here is my problem with the Kombat Kids:

I think it's safe to say that Mortal Kombat 9 had by far the best roster of all the NRS MK games. It's not even close.
MKX introduced many new characters. And when you introduce new characters, which take spots of old fan-favorites... your new characters need to be beyond amazing and blow you away. You need to make up for not having a Smoke in the game or a Rain. The majority of the new MKX characters didn't do that.

The Kombat Kids in particular were the literal love children of their parents. Cassie did what her dad and her mom do. Jacqui did what her dad does. Now in MK11 Cassie has the same nut-punch-gimmick her dad does and it's even the same input. Like, come on! In my opinion, what makes a great FG roster is a ton of visual variety. That was lacking in MKX and it's lacking in MK11. That's also something, which bothered me in UMVC3. You had Hulk and She-Hulk. You had Wolverine and X-23. And while all the characters in those two examples played differently, it still doesn't change the fact that the devs were working with the same power set.
I don't understand people, who don't care about visual variety and actually believe that someone like Cassie or Jacqui bring more to the table than a Smoke or Ermac, who have their own gimmick and identity.

Here is my problem with Jacqui Briggs:

Jacqui Briggs is probably my most hated NRS character. And I don't dislike her as a character, but the mind-boggingly low effort, that was put into her as a character. She was treated so badly, that she absolutely does not need to exist. Especially in MKX. In MKX Jacquis place in the story and the overall universe was to be Cassies best friend, Takedas love interest and the reason why Jax returned to the action. She was a side-character enabling other, more important characters. And she looked the part as well. Jacqui looked (and still in MK11 looks) like a disposable cookie-cutter canon-fodder character. Absolutely horrible character design through and through. It's like Ed Boon took the actually decent concept art for Jacqui, wipes his butt off with the paper and then proceeded to approve an uninspired, boring and forgettable design for her.
Again, if you think that Jacqui has the same potential as a Smoke or a Rain or that she looks as cool as these two, then I can't help you either.

Here is my problem with the direction Mortal Kombat X and Mortal Kombat 11 took:

In my opinion there are way too many Special Forces characters on the base roster and it's ruining the Mortal Kombat universe for me. There is one thing I liked about Mortal Kombat from the old days: In the movies you had Liu Kang, Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade enter a strange world with ninjas, wizards and monsters they did not understand. They were the audience and everything had to be explained to them. In Mortal Kombat 9 the same happened again: Johnny Cage, Sonya Blade and Jax Briggs were outsiders in this grand tournament, which was deciding the fate of the entire world.

I always liked that there weren't many regular, clueless people in Mortal Kombat. I liked the more fantastical aspects of the franchise. I like(d) the ninjas and the wizards and the monsters and the gods. I don't like more of Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade and Jax. And that's what I got in the Kombat Kids. Not only that, but while I got forcefed with the Kombat Kids, they took away my ninjas and my wizards and my monsters and my gods. And that sucks.

So yeah, I feel like I have every single right to dislike Cassie Cage and Jacqui Briggs. It doesn't make me a hater or anything. I'm just stating my opinion. If you like those characters, then that's great for you. I'm happy you get to play characters you love. I hope I'll be able to do the same down the line with more DLC. Right now I only have Noob Saibot. All my other favorites are not in the game and are being laughed at by overly defensive Cassie and Jacqui fans.

Last edited:

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
I’m just curious why people don’t like Kung Jin. I find him to be a great example of how to write a gay character. He walked down a different path in life and became a theif because he believed the White Lotus wouldn’t accept him for his sexuality and would kick him out. Not until he steals from the Sky Temple and Raiden seems to understand Kung Jin’s personal struggle. Kung Jin also never flat out stated he was gay but he heavily implied it in the Story Mode and in a couple intros (most notably the one he has with Tanya). I found NRS’s portrayal of a gay character that strayed from the explicit, flamboyant stereotype to be really well executed. Maybe that’s just me though.
I personally think it's more along the lines of people caring more about other characters than Kung Jin. If I was to make a "my-favorites-rank-list" Kung Jin would probably not be in the top 20, but that doesn't mean that I don't like him. He is just not as interesting as other characters, no matter how well his sexual orientation was executed. Visually and power set-wise I just didn't find him that interesting.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder

I think it's safe to say that Mortal Kombat 9 had by far the best roster of all the NRS MK games. It's not even close.
MKX introduced many new characters. And when you introduce new characters, which take spots of old fan-favorites... your new characters need to be beyond amazing and blow you away. You need to make up for not having a Smoke in the game or a Rain. The majority of the new MKX characters didn't do that.

The Kombat Kids in particular were the literal love children of their parents. Cassie died what her dad and her mom do. Jacqui did what her dad does. Now in MK11 Cassie has the same nut-punch-gimmick her dad does and it's even the same input. Like, come on! In my opinion, what makes a great FG roster is a ton of visual variety. That was lacking in MKX and it's lacking in MK11. That's also something, which bothered me in UMVC3. You had Hulk and She-Hulk. You had Wolverine and X-23. And while all the characters in those two examples played differently, it still doesn't change the fact that the devs were working with the same power set.
I don't understand people, who don't care about visual variety and actually believe that someone like Cassie or Jacqui bring more to the table than a Smoke or Ermac, who have their own gimmick and identity.

Jacqui Briggs is probably my most hated NRS character. And I don't dislike her as a character, but the mind-boggingly low effort, that was put into her as a character. She was treated so badly, that she absolutely does not need to exist. Especially in MKX. In MKX Jacquis place in the story and the overall universe was to be Cassies best friend, Takedas love interest and the reason why Jax returned to the action. She was a side-character enabling other, more important characters. And she looked the part as well. Jacqui looked (and still in MK11 looks) like a disposable cookie-cutter canon-fodder character. Absolutely horrible character design through and through. It's like Ed Boon took the actually decent concept art for Jacqui, wipes his butt off with the paper and then proceeded to approve an uninspired, boring and forgettable design for her.
Again, if you think that Jacqui has the same potential as a Smoke or a Rain or that she looks as cool as these two, then I can't help you either.

Here is my problem with the direction Mortal Kombat X and Mortal Kombat 11 took:

In my opinion there are way too many Special Forces characters on the base roster and it's ruining the Mortal Kombat universe for me. There is one thing I liked about Mortal Kombat from the old days: In the movie you had Liu Kang, Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade enter a strange world with ninjas, wizards and monsters they did not understand. They were the audience and everything had to be explained to them. The same was the case in the second movie, but to a lesser extent. In Mortal Kombat 9 the same happened again: Johnny Cage, Sonya Blade and Jax Briggs were outsiders in this grand tournament, which was deciding the fate of the entire world.

I always liked that there weren't many regular, clueless people in Mortal Kombat. I liked to more fantastical aspects of the franchise. I like(d) the ninjas and the wizards and the monsters and the gods. I don't like more of Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade and Jax. And that's what I got in the Kombat Kids. Not only that, but while I got forcefed with the Kombat Kids, they took away my ninjas and my wizards and my monsters and my gods. And that sucks.

So yeah, I feel like I have every single right to dislike Cassie Cage and Jacqui Briggs. It doesn't make me a hater or anything. I'm just stating my opinion. If you like those characters, then that's great for you. I'm happy you get to play characters you love. I hope I'll be able to do the same down the line with more DLC. Right now I only have Noob Saibot. All my other favorites are not in the game and are being laughed at by overly defensive Cassie and Jacqui fans.
This is a great post. MK11 feels more like a wannabe shoot 'em up action flick that got caught up in the trends with time travel storylines. I wasn't too happy with the changes and character swaps in MKX, which is actually a big reason why I took a few years off of MK. I'm not a big fan of Cassie or Jacqui either, as they instead could have developed brand new characters with more thought or at least brought back fan favorites.

My other thing is this: Kill D'Vorah, I absolutely loathe her. I would rather have any of the b-level characters like Kai, Jarek, or Lei Mei than D'Vorah. She is completely unlikeable in my book and at the bottom of my tier list for this game, even below Shao Kahn.

Bliss

Noob
Kung Jin had no personality. I can see why people disliked him. I liked him only because of Shaolin variation. Shit was easy as hell to use, lethal as hell, and fun as hell!

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Jacqui would be played more if she was as easy to play for casuals as Full Auto was. She's harder to play then most.

There was hate but honestly I think they were all well received. People mad about them taking spots are outnumbered by the people who played those characters.

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
Anyone else sees MK11 Jaquie design even more boring than her MKX one? In this game they were so unispired about what to do with her they didn't even bother to give her a real 3rd equipment slot lol.

Honestly, she would've felt much better with Cassie's bot, given how she is the tech nerd and Cassie didn't need the extra charisma of the bot with her personality and powerset.

In this game she isn't even a good projectile character, just a girl that punches...

Amneoss

Knowledge is Power
Imagine a character needing a complete overhaul and having out of place costumes to become interesting.
Complete overhaul is valid but out of place costumes?
Her alts are from Jax's ending.

A lot of the characters have alts from their tower endings.
Kollector has his Kollector Khan armor from his for example.

Amneoss

Knowledge is Power
Anyone else sees MK11 Jaquie design even more boring than her MKX one? In this game they were so unispired about what to do with her they didn't even bother to give her a real 3rd equipment slot lol.

Honestly, she would've felt much better with Cassie's bot, given how she is the tech nerd and Cassie didn't need the extra charisma of the bot with her personality and powerset.

In this game she isn't even a good projectile character, just a girl that punches...
Jacqui has inarguably the best rushdown in my opinion, they gave her a real personality this time.

She has one of the saddest arcs in all of MK.
She gets to meet young Jax who's charming, witty, happy, and full of life. When she's only ever knew her father post PTSD where he's a depressed alcoholic haunted by his time as a revenant. She sees just how much he lost and how broken he is in real time now. She loves her father so she wants him to not suffer. But, she realizes that would mean he never meets and marries his therapist Vera. If he never marries Vera then Jacqui isn't born. It's pretty emotional shit for a video game series revels in silliness and over the top cartoon gore.
Her look was better in X in my opinion. But her character and gameplay are way WAY better.
She's my third most played after Kotal and Jade.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
no surprise here related to Scorpion .... since MK9, he is the more easy going scrub friendly MK character regarding gameplay wise, hehe .... it's irritianting already playing online with that bunch of millions scorpions abusing teleport spamming fest in all matches ! :p

Amneoss

Knowledge is Power
no surprise here related to Scorpion .... since MK9, he is the more easy going scrub friendly MK character regarding gameplay wise, hehe .... it's irritianting already playing online with that bunch of millions scorpions abusing teleport spamming fest in all matches ! :p
At least he's super punishable. Imagine if he had more safe options. He'd be S tier.

cfw

Toys can't save you!
This list isn't even an appropriate list to go off of. Like... This isn't character usage stats.

You posted all this just to say you hate one character... Jacqueline's power.

The Kombat Kids in particular were the literal love children of their parents. Cassie did what her dad and her mom do. Jacqui did what her dad does. Now in MK11 Cassie has the same nut-punch-gimmick her dad does and it's even the same input. Like, come on! In my opinion, what makes a great FG roster is a ton of visual variety. That was lacking in MKX and it's lacking in MK11. That's also something, which bothered me in UMVC3. You had Hulk and She-Hulk. You had Wolverine and X-23. And while all the characters in those two examples played differently, it still doesn't change the fact that the devs were working with the same power set.

In my opinion there are way too many Special Forces characters on the base roster and it's ruining the Mortal Kombat universe for me. There is one thing I liked about Mortal Kombat from the old days: In the movie you had Liu Kang, Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade enter a strange world with ninjas, wizards and monsters they did not understand. They were the audience and everything had to be explained to them. The same was the case in the second movie, but to a lesser extent. In Mortal Kombat 9 the same happened again: Johnny Cage, Sonya Blade and Jax Briggs were outsiders in this grand tournament, which was deciding the fate of the entire world.

I always liked that there weren't many regular, clueless people in Mortal Kombat. I liked to more fantastical aspects of the franchise. I like(d) the ninjas and the wizards and the monsters and the gods. I don't like more of Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade and Jax. And that's what I got in the Kombat Kids. Not only that, but while I got forcefed with the Kombat Kids, they took away my ninjas and my wizards and my monsters and my gods. And that sucks.

100% to the point.
MK9 has amazing, diverse and irreplaceable roster. But NRS chose to repeat the 3d era trend of characters inheriting traits and movesets by the OG's.

Why do not improve on characters the fanbase loves? Go creative and give more green power stuff to Johnny and more drone gimmicks to Sonya instead of creating a character that could be easily an NPC.

Seeing Subzero's rising ice, I can't help but to think this move belongs to Frost. (Having another ice character instead of improving Grandmaster badass, is beyond me anyway)

Eating dash punches from Jacquie while she says "Gotcha" is not original. I have Jax for that.

Kung Jin at least had the Shaolin backround , which is of course much more interesting than boring soldiers with guns.

I would like to add that the "the color swap army" praised Kotal Kahn and D'Vorah. Why? They are original, interesting and fitting in MK. Unlike the bunch of young Strykers and Cetrion.

Afumba

Noob

The Kombat Kids in particular were the literal love children of their parents. Cassie died what her dad and her mom do. Jacqui did what her dad does. Now in MK11 Cassie has the same nut-punch-gimmick her dad does and it's even the same input. Like, come on! In my opinion, what makes a great FG roster is a ton of visual variety. That was lacking in MKX and it's lacking in MK11. That's also something, which bothered me in UMVC3. You had Hulk and She-Hulk. You had Wolverine and X-23. And while all the characters in those two examples played differently, it still doesn't change the fact that the devs were working with the same power set.

Just to make things clear... i am neither laughing at you nor am i a huge Jacqui fan. And while i agree with some of what you said, and can symphatize with the rest, you also have to be reasonable.

MK9 is in my opinion the best roster as well. I would take that roster for every future MK. But you have to undertand that the need for new characters. Beside that, us nostalgic people are probably the minority playerbase. At the very least they are as many that didnt play the old games back then than people who did.

My favorite chars are all not in the game as well (Ermac, Mileena, Sindel) and they are several other characters i would swap for others. I also would have liked a bigger roster. Reality is i cant change that.
So i suck it up, hope DLC brings them and enjoy the game.

And no, these new characters are not better than Ermac, Reptile or Smoke. But at the end of the day its just our oppinion and not everybody can be in every game.

Im MKX, while they left a lot of favorits out, the newcomers were mostly great or great ideas. Dvorah, Kotal and Erron should be staple in my opinion, thats how good i think they are. The KK have all great potential, lack of story and variation system held them back in my opinion. Being overshadowed by parents/mentors didnt help either.

MK11 newcomers are worse though, Kollector looks cool but is whatever, Cetrion looks like an Inj character (even though she is fun), Geras is just sad and Frost is worse than before.

And while i was really surprised that Jacqui got a spot, i am more surpurised how fun she is. Like this i wouldnt mind her in the future... gameplay-wise.

Anyways thanks for your thoughts and i hope you can still enjoy the game, even if your favs are not in and the characters get more more blunt in term of story/personality. Its a great game.

I agree but he had Terrible primary outfit, looked ugly in the face, came off like a dickhead (though I liked that) and his gameplay wasnt amazing.

I'd still take him (or FerraTorr or Takeda or Triborg or Reptile) over Jacqui though, you'd think there would be more drama between him and Revenant Kung Lao but nah.

Just to make things clear... i am neither laughing at you nor am i a huge Jacqui fan. And while i agree with some of what you said, and can symphatize with the rest, you also have to be reasonable.

MK9 is in my opinion the best roster as well. I would take that roster for every future MK. But you have to undertand that the need for new characters. Beside that, us nostalgic people are probably the minority playerbase. At the very least they are as many that didnt play the old games back then than people who did.

My favorite chars are all not in the game as well (Ermac, Mileena, Sindel) and they are several other characters i would swap for others. I also would have liked a bigger roster. Reality is i cant change that.
So i suck it up, hope DLC brings them and enjoy the game.

And no, these new characters are not better than Ermac, Reptile or Smoke. But at the end of the day its just our oppinion and not everybody can be in every game.

Im MKX, while they left a lot of favorits out, the newcomers were mostly great or great ideas. Dvorah, Kotal and Erron should be staple in my opinion, thats how good i think they are. The KK have all great potential, lack of story and variation system held them back in my opinion. Being overshadowed by parents/mentors didnt help either.

MK11 newcomers are worse though, Kollector looks cool but is whatever, Cetrion looks like an Inj character (even though she is fun), Geras is just sad and Frost is worse than before.

And while i was really surprised that Jacqui got a spot, i am more surpurised how fun she is. Like this i wouldnt mind her in the future... gameplay-wise.

Anyways thanks for your thoughts and i hope you can still enjoy the game, even if your favs are not in and the characters get more more blunt in term of story/personality. Its a great game.
The thing is, MK9's roster is not only about nostalgia. They are interesting, original and staple characters. All of them.

The whole meme hate is just for fun of course.