What's new

Overview of the most played characters.

Complete overhaul is valid but out of place costumes?
Her alts are from Jax's ending.

A lot of the characters have alts from their tower endings.
Kollector has his Kollector Khan armor from his for example.
You have a point here. The "try hard" is obvious though. No?

As a new fan of the franchise, I can say that there is an apparent bias for OG characters that blinds people's judgement.

Not saying that Jacqui is better than all OG characters, but I definitely prefer a character that has a traditional fighting style in my game, it's not always about having crazy magical powers.

I agree that having a lot of similar characters in one roster is a pretty bad decession, but that doesn't take away from the characters themselves.

There's no denying Jacqui's improvement, NRS had put out an effort into making her better and they were successful in my eyes.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
MK9 is in my opinion the best roster as well. I would take that roster for every future MK. But you have to undertand that the need for new characters.
I understand the need for new characters completely. I even welcome new characters.

My favorite MK character is Smoke. Smoke is actually easily in the top 5 of my favorite gaming characters in general. And Smoke too was a new character at one point. But Smoke was a character, who brought something amazing to the table: from being a ninja, to a secret, to having a cool power set and amazing visuals. He isn't all too well established as a character and doesn't have that much personality, but he has plenty of other things going on for him.

And no, these new characters are not better than Ermac, Reptile or Smoke. But at the end of the day its just our oppinion and not everybody can be in every game.
That's my main problem with the new characters. They don't even come close to the old characters. And that's not because the old characters are amazing (which they are), but because the new characters aren't unique and interesting enough to compete with the old fan favorites. And this isn't even a matter of nostalgia and bias. I think it's just a fact, that a character like Jacqui Briggs isn't as visually appealing or interesting as a Smoke or a Rain.

Im MKX, while they left a lot of favorits out, the newcomers were mostly great or great ideas. Dvorah, Kotal and Erron should be staple in my opinion, thats how good i think they are. The KK have all great potential, lack of story and variation system held them back in my opinion. Being overshadowed by parents/mentors didnt help either.
I too like D'vorah, Kotal Kahn and Erron Black. These characters have their own style and identity.
Cassie Cage, Jacqui Briggs and even Takeda to a lesser extent are the inferior versions of better characters. And I find that to be a pity.

Cassie Cage should have been the Anakin Skywalker of the Johnny Cages Green Force. She should have utilized that far more than her dad with constructs and what-not, like a Green Lantern. Gimme something, which clearly sets her apart from Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade.
Jacqui Briggs should have been a female cyber ninja of close combat destruction. Basically like a female Raiden from Metal Gear Rising. She should have been in your face 24/7, like a killing machine - while being super hot and cool looking.
Neither one of the two are either one of those things. Instead they're soldier girls, who punch, kick and shoot guns. And that's boring. That's what Erron Black does in a much, much, much, much more boring way.

Amneoss

Knowledge is Power
@Krankk
Really?
Kotal, D'Vorah, Erron, Ferra/Torr are all less interesting the grey ninja and purple ninja? Really?
I thought you said it wasn't just nostalgia.

I'd argue that Cassie, Jacqui, Takeda, and Kung Jin are cooler than Smoke or Rain design wise too. But, at least you can make a case to the contrary but no way are Kotal and his crew less interesting or unique.

Last edited:
You're typing this as if this isn't just your perception.
Well it isn't. These characters exist and have proven their worth way before "story modes" were even a thing.
Dozens of fighters, from Ryu and Scorpion to Yoshimitsu and Morrigan and Fulgore, became Iconic for their charisma.. . When their only character development was just a small text.

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
I understand the need for new characters completely. I even welcome new characters.

My favorite MK character is Smoke. Smoke is actually easily in the top 5 of my favorite gaming characters in general. And Smoke too was a new character at one point. But Smoke was a character, who brought something amazing to the table: from being a ninja, to a secret, to having a cool power set and amazing visuals. He isn't all too well established as a character and doesn't have that much personality, but he has plenty of other things going on for him.

That's my main problem with the new characters. They don't even come close to the old characters. And that's not because the old characters are amazing (which they are), but because the new characters aren't unique and interesting enough to compete with the old fan favorites. And this isn't even a matter of nostalgia and bias. I think it's just a fact, that a character like Jacqui Briggs isn't as visually appealing or interesting as a Smoke or a Rain.

I too like D'vorah, Kotal Kahn and Erron Black. These characters have their own style and identity.
Cassie Cage, Jacqui Briggs and even Takeda to a lesser extent are the inferior versions of better characters. And I find that to be a pity.

Cassie Cage should have been the Anakin Skywalker of the Johnny Cages Green Force. She should have utilized that far more than her dad with constructs and what-not, like a Green Lantern. Gimme something, which clearly sets her apart from Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade.
Jacqui Briggs should have been a female cyber ninja of close combat destruction. Basically like a female Raiden from Metal Gear Rising. She should have been in your face 24/7, like a killing machine - while being super hot and cool looking.
Neither one of the two are either one of those things. Instead they're soldier girls, who punch, kick and shoot guns. And that's boring. That's what Erron Black does in a much, much, much, much more boring way.
Boy if you don't....

With this bullshit lmfao

This isn't nostalgia or bias but you know, total nostalgia and bias.

You REFUSE to accept the Kombat kids for who they are. You ONLY see them as copies of their parentage. You ARE the problem going forward and why Ed Boon wants this shit to stop and die lol. Jesus christ this is hard to read you rationalizing this absolutely asinine hate. You have NO GOOD ARGUMENT against the new Jacqui and Cassie. Only vague general distaste for them. Give me a single, SINGLE, valid reason to hate Jacqui or Cassie in MK11 that doesn't involve Sonya, Johnny, or Jax since you're not blinded by nostalgia. In MKX you had ammunition. Jacqui was a cardboard ass bag of hot awkward garbage and Cassie was shoe horned into being the main protag. That isn't the case now, they both have very real arcs and they're fleshed out characters.

MalevolentFix

Generic girl soldiers, young Solid Snake, medieval rpg protagonist.

On the other hand, Rain and Smoke are 100% MK glory.
This has to be a troll lol Rain and Smoke have about as much character development as a loaf of rye but you're going to call Cassie and Jacqui in MK11 "General girl soldiers" and Takeda... Young Solid Snake?.... Have you even played Metal Gear Solid? Or Mortal Kombat X?... Takeda is hot ass shit.

Kung Jin I'll give you that's fucking hilarious lmfao

This has to be a troll lol Rain and Smoke have about as much character development as a loaf of rye but you're going to call Cassie and Jacqui in MK11 "General girl soldiers" and Takeda... Young Solid Snake?.... Have you even played Metal Gear Solid? Or Mortal Kombat X?... Takeda is hot ass shit.

Kung Jin I'll give you that's fucking hilarious lmfao
I replied to an argument which was about design only!

Of course I'm not defending Rain and Smoke in terms of development. They are indeed super shallow.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
This list isn't even an appropriate list to go off of. Like... This isn't character usage stats.

You posted all this just to say you hate one character... Jacqueline's power.
Well I guess that's what I get for not reading the full first post. This thread is bullshit propaganda! Be ashamed of yourselves!

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
I replied to an argument which was about design only!

Of course I'm not defending Rain and Smoke in terms of development. They are indeed super shallow.
As I said earlier, Smoke is in my top 5 gaming characters in general, but I'll admit that his character development / personality haven't been handled very well at all. Doesn't change the fact, that he is an awesome fan favorite.

Rain on the other hand? He is one of the most underrated and underappreciated characters in the Mortal Kombat universe. His backstory and personality blow the combined efforts of Cassie Cage and Jacqui Briggs out of the park.

MalevolentFix

He's actively ignoring me at this point lol

That's fair. I agree with @cfw you literally just made a thread to echo chamber your hate for Cassie and Jacqui and refuse to see that they have grown into their own characters...

Players like you make me sad. :(

As I said earlier, Smoke is in my top 5 gaming characters in general, but I'll admit that his character development / personality haven't been handled very well at all. Doesn't change the fact, that he is an awesome fan favorite.

Rain on the other hand? He is one of the most underrated and underappreciated characters in the Mortal Kombat universe. His backstory and personality blow the combined efforts of Cassie Cage and Jacqui Briggs out of the park.
I believe FG characters don't need huge character development and backstory to be interesting. I love Smoke even if his character is just being a friend of Grandmaster Badass
This is enough for me.

Amneoss

Knowledge is Power

Bruh. Look I like Smoke and Rain too.
But how much hate you have for everyone from X onward is just goofy.
Until they put Kobra or Mokap back in an MK I ain't gonna throw a fit.

As for your Rain statement. Prior to 11 you may have had a case about him and Smoke having better stories. I know it's all subjective but I will have to point out that now other than Liu, Raiden, Shinnok, Mileena, Scorpion, Sub Zero and Quan Chi no characters have had bigger or more engaging arcs than Cassie and Jacqui have now.
Notice how I didn't fanboy and put Kotal or Stryker in there because I'm not judging it based on my faves. My only fave with a huge important arc is Quan Chi.

Just saying (not being hostile btw, just not seeing your reasoning here)

Bliss

Noob
Well it isn't. These characters exist and have proven their worth way before "story modes" were even a thing.
Dozens of fighters, from Ryu and Scorpion to Yoshimitsu and Morrigan and Fulgore, became Iconic for their charisma.. . When their only character development was just a small text.
That's subjective. I never thought anyone was iconic out of this list except Scorpion.

BackAtYouBro

Your name means dung heap in my tongue!
The main argument against Cassie and Jacqui just sounds like an appeal to tradition. Video games have evolved from just a box of text telling you everything about the character and their motivations. Video games today include just as much character development as a cinematic movie would. Mortal Kombat evolved to this standard. NRS changed with today’s times and develop their characters even in intros. Rain does have a ton of lore surrounding him but we barely know much about Smoke and can only really sympathize over him due to admittedly a badass character design. Besides that, he’s Kuai Liang’s friend, he was killed by Sindel, he makes an MKX cameo in the beginning, that’s it. While I have no issues with Smoke, I feel like I can enjoy characters like Takeda and D’Vorah more because we see them develop and learn of their reasonings behind their actions (people mad af over D’Vorah killing their fan-favorites though).