• Amazing! Better than expected!

• Great - about what I was expecting

• Alright - nothing mind blowing

• Disappointing - was hoping for more

• Just terrible - don’t plan on buying at this point in time

Results are only viewable after voting.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
lots of threads about specific gameplay mechanics and trailers. But what were your overall thoughts?

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
It looks like it's a real contender for a 'serious' fighter and might finally get people to stop being so snobby about NRS games. Less emphasis on dial-a-combo, less armor, 50/50s are much more unsafe, stronger footsies -- I'm excited to see how it develops at a high level.

It looks like it's a real contender for a 'serious' fighter and might finally get people to stop being so snobby about NRS games. Less emphasis on dial-a-combo, less armor, 50/50s are much more unsafe, stronger footsies -- I'm excited to see how it develops at a high level.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Looks like they removed a lot of the grime mkx had

colby4898

I wasn’t blown away. I’m hype though. I haven’t seen loads on the customize and how it works in terms of special moves. Did they go into detail about that? If all moves aren’t unlocked from the get go then meh.

Not a fan of the final blow thing tbh. I like the animation more than xrays and like the xrays mid game. But the below 30% thing seems a bit scubby to me? Especially as it recharges if you whiff or miss. I think it should go after that, but come back the next round if it whiffed or missed. Obviously could be perfectly balanced as is though, just my initial thoughts.

I like the two bars for defensive and offensive. But not sure how I feel about it just being a cool down. And also no breaker?

It was great and hype, but I’m not amazed.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
very good ! the game seems to have a bit more slow pace if compared with MKx, but, without that 50/50 party time annoying mechanic ... so, more strategic aproaching will be needed to open up your adversary defense stance .... more space for footsies and well placed combos

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
LOVED IT!

Annoyed as hell by all of the complaints because people got literally everything they asked for. People begged and bitched for running to be removed, but now complain it's too slow.

You got what you wanted. So they can cry a little harder. I think everything looks great. Love the fatal blows and the fatalities that I've seen are so dope.

I think the only gripe I have is that the hits don't have a lot of weight behind them to me. It feels floaty when they punch, like there's no real sound.

But I'm sure that's something they can work on leading up to release!

I'm very happy with the gameplay and animations. Looks a lot like mk9 and I may finally be able to do combos again. I liked that style and everything of the game has completely changed. I thought my guy sub zero looked terrible. I wasnt necessarily blown away but I also wasnt disappointed like to the point I wouldn't get the game.My 4 favs are already in but one huge disappointment will be no fujin. Oh well I'm just going to get of his train from now on.

colby4898

I'm very happy with the gameplay and animations. Looks a lot like mk9 and I may finally be able to do combos again. I liked that style and everything of the game has completely changed. I thought my guy sub zero looked terrible. I wasnt necessarily blown away but I also wasnt disappointed like to the point I wouldn't get the game.My 4 favs are already in but one huge disappointment will be no fujin. Oh well I'm just going to get of his train from now on.
I thought sub looked terrible as well. Very disappointed by his gameplay I must say. The new character just feels like tremor to me, but still cool.

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020
Not a fan of the final blow thing tbh. I like the animation more than xrays and like the xrays mid game. But the below 30% thing seems a bit scubby to me? Especially as it recharges if you whiff or miss. I think it should go after that, but come back the next round if it whiffed or missed. Obviously could be perfectly balanced as is though, just my initial thoughts.
Honestly I like the mechanic, it actually incentivizes using the move instead of being a hinderance. The fact that it's another tool you can only use once per match is another thing that makes me like it. And the fact that it doesn't have armor (at first???) is also interesting, cause it's not a guaranteed option.

colby4898

Honestly I like the mechanic, it actually incentivizes using the move instead of being a hinderance. The fact that it's another tool you can only use once per match is another thing that makes me like it. And the fact that it doesn't have armor (at first???) is also interesting, cause it's not a guaranteed option.
I wonder if it would be better if that had a separate meter, just one bar, that built up the traditional way. i.e. special moves, getting hit, dealing chip damage. But the bar can only spent on that. Idk, just a thought, not a fan of it atm

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020
I wonder if it would be better if that had a separate meter, just one bar, that built up the traditional way. i.e. special moves, getting hit, dealing chip damage. But the bar can only spent on that. Idk, just a thought, not a fan of it atm
That could be interesting, I'm kinda blown away they decided to iterate on it at all, and for the sake of subtlety too.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Probably things I didn't list.. but just off the top of my head.

Things I LOVED
  • The removal of the run completely and the de emphasis of dash is a super improvement IMO.
    • This will bring back the idea of footsies. Once the players get experience this game is going to be all about positioning, punishing and opportunities. I feel this one change is probably the most impressive thing I saw in the reveal at a gameplay level. It is going to fundamentally change how MK is played and for the better and at the same time bring back some of the defencive style gameplay and footsies that we have seen 100s of threads claim is integral to eSports play. Skill reward, vs my turn your turn damage strings. Also remember dash exists, it is just unsafe.. so I expect it will still be a major part of combos.
  • The slowing down of the game
    • This is almost the same point as above.. but I think it needs to be its own thing. Slowing down the game (a big part of that is the removal of the run and dash) is part of the very best thing about this game.. (see the point above)
  • GFX look amazing... I mean seriously.. wow.
  • The size of the characters and the position of the camera is just perfect
  • The idea of reducing long term damage that strings into more damage vs what they said they did in focusing on short burst damage is awesome. Again, to fuel the footsie and defence buffs this game has got.
  • The reduction of popups and things on mix ups... so they do hard knockdowns or knock downs instead. Both give the attacker an advantage, but also can not be stringed. This could really bring us away from the 50/50 hell of MKx. (Baraka did look mixy though!)
Things I liked
  • The split resource bars.
    • I think this is a cool move, but one we need to see more of. Splitting the bars is very interesting as it pushes defence and footsies so much. If you all out attacking, it is slowed as you only have 2 bars and you can defend without sacrificing your counter attack and if they do defend, you simply can not spend your defence resources while attacking, so again you are not at a loss. This all sounds great to me. It remains to be seen if this "automatic resource management" is fun or to autopilot like.
  • The "flawless block" thing.
    • This is going to be a leet level defence thing hat will not show its face for ages. Once the strings are like second nature and you have been playing a lot this will really be a thing. I am not sure how it is going to affect everything. Have to wait like a long time till after release to see whats up.
Things I am Confused about.
  • The Gear / Skin system
    • We all knew this was going to be in it, and it is glorious. The idea of making your own fighter that plays to your strengths is what we all thought IJ2 was going to be. It looks fantastic, even being able to customise the intros and finishers. Just amazing. The problem is I am still unsure of how this works.. Are all the move options open at the start of the game. I do not care if loot is drop based or w/e, that is fine.. but all moves need to be accessible the moment you turn the game on, or some super easy unlock like a single arcade run with that character.
  • The Fatal Blow
    • I do not really understand this one. It does so much damage, it is almost like it negates a single round. This is going to really make from behind combacks a thing. It is like facing Bain or FerorTor... you are never truly ahead as a single move can equal it back up. I get that you can only do it once a match... but it feels strange to me. I need to get in and play it to see how it works.. the true is it didn't seem to affect much in the show matches. I'm just not sure about it is all. With the "once a match".. maybe the NRS scene might consider BO5 rounds in a FT2 match like Tekken, instead of BO3 rounds in a FT3 match.
  • Brutalities : These have to be in the game right?
The Biggest Concerns I have
  • How variations work in the Tournament Scene.
    • Also with gear moves or w/e it is called.. I am still not sure I understand how the variations are supposed to be used in a tournament setting. I get that you can save your builds and all that but how do 1000 or how many ever entrants are going to get those builds onto the systems at the stations. I tried pausing the start screens in the demo and there did not seem to be ability selects at the vs screen, only a cycle list to pic pre-saved. So is this like injustice.. there are skill ability variations, but the competitive scene is basically just using either a single variation or maybe there is a set of 3 or w/e default ones to choose from. What I wanted was a simple 3 options list or something you could pick your custom moves as you select your character. For me this is a huge question mark and I am worried that like IJ2... the variation system is just not for the competitive scene at all.

Last edited:

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Concerning gameplay:

Pros
- No 50/50s (apparentely)
- No MKX rushdown to the corner
- Better walk speed than previous games (apparentely)

Cons
- Zoning looks boring ala Injustice
- No Breakers
- Slower pace than MK9 (imo)
- Dashes look irrelevant
- 10 Krushing blows per match are too much.

Overall I would give it 6.5/10. Obviously my opinion could change once I get my hands on it.