• Alright - nothing mind blowing

• Disappointing - was hoping for more

• Just terrible - don’t plan on buying at this point in time

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kal

<3
Disappointed.

Things I don't like:
1) The bar system. The split between offensive and defensive bars sucks. The fact that bars replenish automatically without needing to actually put work into them sucks. I actually can't get over how much I hate the auto replenish.

2) Free x-rays/supers for everyone without having to manage your bar and use that for a come back.

3) The gameplay looks slower.

4) The krushing blows can be rebalanced, but I saw so many of them do so much damage it's absurd.

5) Way too many cinematics and slow downs mid round, like I get it it all looks cool RIGHT NOW but we need to have a way to take it down a notch.

6) Gear system is back, don't even that was trash in IJ2 and I don't see it being any better here.

7) No breakers.

8) A lot of the characters look terrible, especially the women. Sonya, Cassie, and Skarlet look awful.

9) I don't play him, but not a fan of what they did to Subbie. His ice klone is gone, his face looks weird, that default helm looks like ass.

10) I know this is minuscule, but the fact that you can make characters like Scorpion or Subzero dress in different colors annoys the fuck out of me. Their colors are so staple to their characters but now it's all gonna be gone.

11) Based on what we know about the characters, who's been confirmed and who's coming back and the total number, the roster might look extremely disappointing.

Edit: forgot one more:
12) Meter burning attacks need to go back to the way they were, having extra random inputs for attacks per move, per variation, per character doesn't make the game any better whatsoever. It didn't need "fixing" because it wasn't broke. Turn that back.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Probably things I didn't list.. but just off the top of my head.
  • How variations work in the Tournament Scene.
    • Also with gear moves or w/e it is called.. I am still not sure I understand how the variations are supposed to be used in a tournament setting. I get that you can save your builds and all that but how do 1000 or how many ever entrants are going to get those builds onto the systems at the stations. I tried pausing the start screens in the demo and there did not seem to be ability selects at the vs screen, only a cycle list to pic pre-saved. So is this like injustice.. there are skill ability variations, but the competitive scene is basically just using either a single variation or maybe there is a set of 3 or w/e default ones to choose from. What I wanted was a simple 3 options list or something you could pick your custom moves as you select your character. For me this is a huge question mark and I am worried that like IJ2... the variation system is just not for the competitive scene at all.
Ed seemed to be saying that you can make you own variations to play online, but that the tournament mode will be locked to predefined variations that everyone can get to know and use equally.

Reactions: JDE

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
you can drop the act bro. inj is offically dead no need to pretend. im sure nrs already transferred the shill bucks in you account by now bro save your energy for the next party game
You gotta drop the Capcom Legend act before you meme about dropping acts :p

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Ed seemed to be saying that you can make you own variations to play online, but that the tournament mode will be locked to predefined variations that everyone can get to know and use equally.
Which effectively means for people like us, there is no custom variation system. Which leaves me very disappointed. I was very much hoping for like "Here's 6-9 cool things, you have a base moveset and you can pick 3 from the list" or something.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Which effectively means for people like us, there is no custom variation system. Which leaves me very disappointed. I was very much hoping for like "Here's 6-9 cool things, you have a base moveset and you can pick 3 from the list" or something.
I can definitely feel that.

I think it'd be incredibly hard to balance though. We saw how hard it was to balance a game with just the standard variations.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I will just be quick and say overall my mood is disappointed.

Zoning looks too strong, and movement looks too weak to do anything about it. Hope and want to be wrong but I can only call it as I have seen it with what is shown.

*edit*

More to the point, if the zoning at least did a lot of damage or something to make the rounds end quick it would be something else, but they all do pitiful damage and all it does is make things drag.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I saw it all first on my phone with a shitty quality connection and was very underwhelmed but after seeing it in hd in a big screen I think it looks fucking amazing

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
- 17 arenas
- Colors in game
- Crazy Story Mode start..
- 25 character spots looks just okay, i expected more to be honest.
- Folks bothers themselves with the default character designs and it is totally unnecassary to me because we will have a lot of options to create character cosmetics and for now we don't know how extra skins looks like yet. Please show some patience. Also i love all those character designs which are revealed, including Sub-Zero.
- Two bars for defense and offanse options are the big deal about the gameplay which makes me excited. There gonna be a lot of strategies to play.
- Combos system looks fine to me, it is not limited and i guess it is extended. we will see, Ketchup and Mustard performed some cool combos.
- Don't be worried about zoning game, didn't you see Raiden's teleport? how fast it is, there gonna be escape options be sure.

These are the things that i love for now. I just thought some cosmetic options are unnecessary contents for the game like Green/Gray or Blue/Yellow or White Scorpion. Probably i will never use..

When did he say this? Man this would fuckinnn SUUUUUCK. This was exactly what I DONT want. Keep the augmented gear away from competitive, fine, but the variation customization? Why cant that be in?

Dr. Cheesesteak

pygophile and podophile
Disappointed.

Things I don't like:
2) Free x-rays/supers for everyone without having to manage your bar and use that for a come back.

5) Way too many cinematics and slow downs mid round, like I get it it all looks cool RIGHT NOW but we need to have a way to take it down a notch.

7) No breakers.

10) I know this is minuscule, but the fact that you can make characters like Scorpion or Subzero dress in different colors annoys the fuck out of me. Their colors are so staple to their characters but now it's all gonna be gone.

11) Based on what we know about the characters, who's been confirmed and who's coming back and the total number, the roster might look extremely disappointing.
While the last couple may not be gameplay-related, I agree w/ these 100%.

Re: #11, I wanted 5-6 more characters from the 3D games who aren't already playable in the reboot and another 4-5 new characters. But that's not looking likely at the moment w/ Boon saying roster choices are determined by the voices of the players and that first character select screen looking fairly slim in slots.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
I’m very very optimistic and think it looks amazing.

I was initially struck just by how “injustice like” the game looked, but I’ve rewatched the reveal now and I’m not as bothered by that.

The game looks beautiful. Love the look.

The gameplay looks pretty damn great. Until I play I’ll reserve judgment about the fatal blow and Krushing blow mechanics. I love that they pulled xrays out of a meter dependent tool because they’ve been mostly irrelevant, but now we will see them and they’ll add to the meta. I just hope that fatal blows and Krushing blows are not overly powerful as comeback mechanics. I just don’t want to see a player get dominated for 75% of a round and then be able to get back in the fight with a single touch. I don’t know that that will be the case, Justin hoping that it’s not.

I love the universal wake up options, it again feels like getting a hard knockdown or knockdown is rewarding and will permit oki to flourish instead of the person on the ground sometimes on some matchups almost being at an advantage with access to powerful wake ups.

I don’t get why they made new and unique inputs for “augmented” or enhanced specials, I don’t like that in theory.

Love that it seems like walking and jumping with occasional dashing are the movement tools. It’ll make teleport and movement characters more unique and viable as in MKX it was almost useless because running in or fast advancing safe armored moves paired with not overly prominent zoning made teleports mostly meh.

And I like that it seems that the game is very neutral based and will reward fundamentals and patient play.

I love that meterbuild is not tied to projectiles and or block pressure. It remains to be seen how this new system pans out, but one of the biggest issues on both Inj2 and MKX imo was the meter build disparity. So many matchups were won or lost by who was able to build meter and who wasn’t. This should level the playing field. Won’t know til I play, but it is a great sign that NRS looked at these fundamental mechanics and revised them sensibly.

From the man himself, Ed Boon breaks down the philosophy behind MK11 gameplay:

https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2019/01/17/ed-boon-talks-mortal-kombat-11s-variations-changes-and-roster said:
The overall fighting is, we’re moving in, it’s a little tighter. It’s focused more on what they call “footsies,” jockeying, space control. Our arenas are smaller, and it’s a lot more about strategy than all-out aggression. In Mortal Kombat X, it was way more of like a rushdown, get in the guy’s face, run up to them, make them guess high or low. So we’re really holding back on that, and making it more strategic. It’s more intense, and, I don’t want to use to word intimate, but...
Less rushdown oriented, less mixups, stronger neutral game, more emphasis on footsies. Based on the footage, I think their philosophy has been pretty well realized and I'm happy about that.

Honestly I feel like this can go two completely different ways with no middle ground. The first way is that this ends up feeling too slow and too zoning based, too far in the opposite direction of mortal kombat in general. The game ends up being boring to watch because of this, the in match cinematics drag on, lack of customized variation in tournament mode means virtually no variation, lack of long combos means less swaggy in general, and overall they went so opposite of mkx they went too far. The second scenario is that this slowed gameplay is going to reward footies in the best way possible, make for a more strategic and entertaining match because their isnt as much cheese as mkx/9, the new mechanics create more in depth strategies and create a high skill ceiling, being able to get hands on experience and lab with characters we still get some "longer" cool combos, and ultimately this comes out as the mortal kombat that balances what it is good at with being a good esport fighting game

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
At this very moment the game is looking pretty ass. Almost every negative reason other people have mentioned I agree with. Still gonna get it but damn all hype is gone. The more I look at it the more I dislike it. Im just happy I got other games to look forward too like KH3 or DMC5 while MK11 gets polished cause its not looking fun at all.

BSJeebus

Future Karate Expert
I will just be quick and say overall my mood is disappointed.

Zoning looks too strong, and movement looks too weak to do anything about it. Hope and want to be wrong but I can only call it as I have seen it with what is shown.

*edit*

More to the point, if the zoning at least did a lot of damage or something to make the rounds end quick it would be something else, but they all do pitiful damage and all it does is make things drag.
These are my exact feelings. Although, I am more cautiously optimistic instead of disappointed. And, to be clear, I am not against zoning or more footsie oriented gameplay (Guile, Ryu, & Balrog have been my SF mains for years) I just enjoy MK's chaotic rushdown aspects more than it's zoning aspects.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
To those who are concerned with kreate a variation, boon said on a interview the game still has 3 base variations, and one you can Kustomize but its not tournament legal, however you can play it online.