What's new

Opinion on the what the current tiers look like

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
I don't think variations are necessary for tier lists (for the vast majority of characters) because we should all know what variation is best when referring to a character.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Only cassie can punish b321 ex hat spin. Others can armor in between only to get their move blocked and punished anyway. 112124ex hat spin b32 ex hat spin and b321ex hat spin are the only blockstrings that should be used. People are letting lao get away with a lot of shit now though.
Maybe the Laos im playing arent trying to block after it. Good info.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
I don't think Shinnok is that bad with the tools that he has in the impostor variation for example, any reason why you'd put him there?
Bad damage except in Impostor. Meterless midscreen damage is like what? 17% or something?
No launching string.
Almost everything is unsafe unless you use a bar of your precious meter... and Shinnok needs his meter to get any substantial damage.
His zoning isn't that great. Just stay grounded and approach until you block one of his hell sparks and then blow him up for it.
His pressure isn't that great either. What does Shinnok excel at? I'd like to know.
His strings aren't anything to jump up and down about. Ok so he has his F4,1 string in Bone Shaper. Big whoop. What else does he have? F2? F22? F223? 22? lol 1123? lol 312? LMAO
Necromancer is laughable at the moment. Flick isn't anything to worry about and neither is his slow as fuck skeletal hand from above. So what you can choose where you want it to land? It's still horrible. And his skeletal grab from below doesn't track worth a shit either.
Bone Shaper has an unblockable, but is easily reactable. It's EX version is decent tho, but still, everything worth a damn for Shinnok cost meter. EX shoulder? oh noes, i'm so scurrrreed.

I'm could go on, but I'd like to wait to hear from others what's so special about Shinnok and how he is tournament viable compared to the rest of the cast. I'd go as far as saying that no player could win a stacked major with Shinnok, not even get top 8 with him. I don't believe this character is viable at all in his current state. That's my opinion.

Last edited:

Orangutan

WutanOrangutan
Maybe considering the best variation of each is a better idea, as many of the cast only have 1 truly viable variation
Haven’t listed all the best variations from every character but heres some of the obvious ones
IMO:

(not in order)

S+
erron - outlaw
kung jin - bojitsu
raiden - thunder god

S
d’vorrah - swarm queen
kung lao - buzzsaw
tanya - (watching CDjr play, could maybe be S+)
scorpion - hellfire
jax - heavy weapons
lui kang - dragons fire
ermac - master of souls
quan chi - summoner

A
cassie - spec ops
sub zero - grandmaster
kotal kahn - war god
jacqui - full auto
kenshi ?
sonya ?
ferra-torr ?
mileena - piercing
shinnok - imposter
takeda - shirai ryu

B
kitana - royal storm
goro - kuatan warrior
reptile ?
kano ?
johnny cage ?

C
jason (lol)

Its obviously matchup dependent also; for instance quan chi gets shut down by cassie cage and johnny cage (a-list) on knockdown because of chi's lack of a good wakeup, and because of cassie and johnnys strong wakeup/corner pressure (even though quan is higher tier)

M2Dave

Zoning Master
D'Vorah - everybody recognizes that she is one of the best characters in the game, but is she the best? I am not convinced yet. Aside from Quan Chi, the top tier characters have launching EX armor special moves. The lack of such a move is a conspicuous weaknesses in this highly rush down oriented game. D'Vorah has the ovipositor rush which neither launches nor is it safe on block.

Tanya - I agree. She is most likely an S tier character. She has excellent defense and a superb run away game.

Kung Lao - is this the character GGA is going to downplay in this game? He has no 50/50 mix ups but has everything else. He has ridiculous pressure and strings, the best punishing and anti-aerial move in the game, and a great anti-zoning tool. Plus apparently he has no combos that do below 35% of damage.

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
Maybe considering the best variation of each is a better idea, as many of the cast only have 1 truly viable variation
Haven’t listed all the best variations from every character but heres some of the obvious ones
IMO:

(not in order)

S+
erron - outlaw
kung jin - bojitsu
raiden - thunder god

S
d’vorrah - swarm queen
kung lao - buzzsaw
tanya - (watching CDjr play, could maybe be S+)
scorpion - hellfire
jax - heavy weapons
lui kang - dragons fire
ermac - master of souls
quan chi - summoner

A
cassie - spec ops
sub zero - grandmaster
kotal kahn - war god
jacqui - full auto
kenshi ?
sonya ?
ferra-torr ?
mileena - piercing
shinnok - imposter
takeda - shirai ryu

B
kitana - royal storm
goro - kuatan warrior
reptile ?
kano ?
johnny cage ?

C
jason (lol)

Its obviously matchup dependent also; for instance quan chi gets shut down by cassie cage and johnny cage (a-list) on knockdown because of chi's lack of a good wakeup, and because of cassie and johnnys strong wakeup/corner pressure (even though quan is higher tier)
Kung Lao is Tempest.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
D'Vorah - everybody recognizes that she is one of the best characters in the game, but is she the best? I am not convinced yet. Aside from Quan Chi, the top tier characters have launching EX armor special moves. The lack of such a move is a conspicuous weaknesses in this highly rush down oriented game. D'Vorah has the ovipositor rush which neither launches nor is it safe on block.
Her biggest issue is player execution. B1 WGC and 112 WGC are 1 frame links, her 50/50 requires players to be frame perfect after f112 WGC, etc.

HOWEVER when played at the highest level, she is ridiculous. Any F11 EX Wasp leads them to the corner with a 42% combo(without using stamina mind you). She still gets around 42% with one bar midscreen, 35% meterless with HKD. F112 WGC is +16 which either leads to a free 50/50 or blockstring pressure that leads to about 10% in chip damage. Her pressure options are all really insane and her fireball cancels are easily the best in the game with all the options she has from them. Her biggest weakness is she lacks wakeups, but thats about it.

I dont know if she is the number one character in practice, but in theory she should be. Its just a matter of having perfect execution which most players do not.

But if NRS wants to make EX Ovi a launcher that would be tight :DOGE