What's new

Opinion on the what the current tiers look like

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
Uh F0xy didn't go to combo breaker...

He was at TCW, where he placed top 16 and demolished REO, one of the best players in the world. If that's exposed to you then I don't even know what to say...

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
S TIER
Quan Chi: The best defense is a good offense. Fortunately for Quan Chi, he's got some of the cheapest offense in the game. Great NJP and good uppercut. Poke speed is decent. Summoner is unbearable. Sorcerer has the potential to be unbearable. Warlock gains the anti-footsie troll boot and good armored options. EX Sword Stab is practically SAFE. Getting up in non-Warlock is pretty hard, and overall he is pretty unsafe and has no safe meterless blockstring specials not counting Puggles.
Summoner = Sorcerer = Warlock

Cassie Cage: Superman's f+2,3 has been reincarnated into b+1,2,4. Imagine if it didn't have a gap. Cartwheel is insane. Theoretically it should be impossible to cross her up because of Cartwheel. Good pokes and great d+4. B+2,1,2,d+1+2 is great. Hollywood gains raw damage and some nice setplay. Dr. Doom approves of Spec Ops and Sektor wishes his missiles launched and homing missile did chip damage. Brawler I feel is her weakest variant but its not too far behind the other two at all.
Hollywood = Spec Ops > Brawler

Kung Jin: Jack of all trades and thankfully master of none. Above average to great in all areas. Insane jump attacks that are super hard to anti-air. Best NJP in the game. Bojutsu is his easiest variant to learn and is very strong no matter what some players may think of it now. Bo swing moves are hard to punish for most. Green Arrow is envious of Ancestral. Flame + Stun Arrow zoning is good, as well as the setplay gained from Stun Arrow. Shaolin is my personal favorite, gaining a practically safe chip blockstring in Upkick+Drop. EX Chakrams are 0 on block. Annoying Setplay. Gains b+1,2,3 which the second hit doesn't whiff max range unlike b+1,4.
Bojutsu = Ancestral = Shaolin

Scorpion: The original vortex character. Good ol' Hanzo hasn't been this good since the 3d era. Hellfire has ridiculous pressure and damage. Inferno is the easiest to use in my opinion and also has great damage, but loses Hellfire's pressure. Ninjutsu gains better footsie range and gains f+4,2 which is decent, but overall the variant outclassed by the other two. Medium risk/high reward character. Hellfire/Inferno f+2 is punishable by yung Cass which kinda sucks.
Hellfire > Inferno > Ninjutsu

Sonya Blade: Cheap bitch needs to sit out an MK game already. 50/50's into more 50/50's in Covert Ops is not fun at all. b+1,4 has a gap which is exploitable but somewhat hard because she can run in and b+3,3 you. Best X-Ray in the game imo. Good Uppercut. Divekick has like no whiff recovery. F+2 is a decent footsie. Special Forces is nifty and Demolition is underexplored but Covert Ops reigns supreme.
Covert Ops > Special Forces = Demolition

Jax: Do you think you're bad? This man will hit you for 1 bar 48-50% in the corner off his 50/50 and you'll think so no longer. F+2,1,2 aka Electric Wind Godfists aka Twin Pistons is great. Alot of his strings are 0 to +2 on block which is nice. 6f cheap jab. d+3 0 on block which could be the best d3 in the game. CRY UNCLE!!! B+2 overhead is not special cancelable on block which is a blessing cause you can mash special without risking a punish. Heavy Weapons gains the LAW ROCKET which is one of my favorite moves in the game. Wrestler is one of the better grapplers in the game. Pumped Up has the air ground pound and the cheap Gotcha Grab restand. I think Heavy Weapons is the best but not by much.
Heavy Weapons > Pumped Up = Wrestler

Tanya: You can't pressure her on wakeup. All her variants seem solid
??? > ??? > ???

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
S+ TIER

Raiden: f1 nerf..... wasn't enough for Thunder God. Safe option select corner carry vortexes..... okie dokie. Access to like 4 or 5 armored wakeups which makes pressuring him on wakeup difficult. Displacer is usable but sorta outclassed. Master of Storms is underexplored. F+2,2+4 in Displacer/Master of Storms is actually better than the Thunder God version.
Thunder God > Master Of Storms > Displacer
In the game we have characters with Disjointed Hitboxes, which are the ones that negates hit trading to an extent, and then we have run canceling characters

I think Thunder God Raiden is probably the first character to have almost all in one tools for what mosts other have split in variations.

He has disjointed hitboxes, can break armor low and overhead starter corner carry, butt load of armored moves and wakeups, restands and on top of all he can still run cancel

I Think Raiden is the top tier character.

Also i would add Lao and Jax higher on that list, Jax 2 places above Scorpion.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Someone more knowledgable than me should take a crack at a variations tier list, I mean am I wrong in thinking that while D'Vorah is quite strong her brood mother variation is not as good as the other two? I'm sure a list that comprehensive would need multiple top players working on it together but it would be neat, a well thought out list could help new players select a character that gives them the best chance to win early on, if that's the route they choose.event hubs tier list sucks IMO
Being worked on

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
Since everyone runs that winner is variation locked, tiers may as well be done by variation. But there are a lot of variations that are either straight-up bad or bad compared to the other variations so no one cares.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
S+ TIER

D'vorah: Has everything and much more. Swarm Queen f112 bugcancel is a guaranteed 50/50. Insane damage and footsies. Insane uppercut. Only real "weaknesses" are no true safe blockstrings in Venomous/Brood Mother, and her EX Ass is a pretty piss poor armored move/reversal/wakeup.
Swarm Queen > Brood Mother > Venomous

Raiden: f1 nerf..... wasn't enough for Thunder God. Safe option select corner carry vortexes..... okie dokie. Access to like 4 or 5 armored wakeups which makes pressuring him on wakeup difficult. Displacer is usable but sorta outclassed. Master of Storms is underexplored. F+2,2+4 in Displacer/Master of Storms is actually better than the Thunder God version.
Thunder God > Master Of Storms > Displacer

Erron Black: Best grappler in the game. 50/50's, +frames, and tick throws galore. Don't get cornered by him. Great post knockdown game in Outlaw. Great pressure, decent zoning, and pseudo-safe blockstrings into rifle swing in Marksman (gaps in alot if not all?). Gunslinger... has the hat, but base Erron Black is a great character so adding the Standoff Stance + Coins wouldn't hurt at all. F+4 is awesome.
Outlaw = Marksman > Gunslinger
I respect your opinion a lot but how in the hell is Venomous worse than Brood Mother. I just dont see it.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Since everyone runs that winner is variation locked, tiers may as well be done by variation. But there are a lot of variations that are either straight-up bad or bad compared to the other variations so no one cares.
Yea at first it's best and easier to do a sum or all parts then break it down which some of us are doing individually per variant

Some variations without any changes will never get shown