What's new

Match-up Discussion Oooooh Numbers

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
lol just like we had no KL's at a good level either right? You busted out Rain at Evo and got your back blown out by Krayzie. Appreciate the input and maybe some of it is valid but that whole argument of us not knowing the match up doesn't hold weight from you anymore.

We had dedicated Rain players. They all dropped him because he's just not that good. Kizzle, Scar and CDjr himself all quit Rain for better characters. Good enough for me.
Thanks for letting me know that the entirity of your understanding of my Rain knowledge is from 1 set with Krayzie...

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
If we are so ignorant about it we should've been enlightened. After all, its a 5-5 matchup according to you anyway.
The only reason I lost to Krayzie, was because I dropped 2 round winning AA combos with Rain. My fault, not the characters.

Anyway, I'm not trying to get into stupid arguments over shit. I'm trying to discuss an underused character.

Why couldnt you just chime in with your opinion on the character rather than going straight for my throat?

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
The only reason I lost to Krayzie, was because I dropped 2 round winning AA combos with Rain. My fault, not the characters.

Anyway, I'm not trying to get into stupid arguments over shit. I'm trying to discuss an underused character.

Why couldnt you just chime in with your opinion on the character rather than going straight for my throat?
I didn't mind you chiming in with your opinion on the character until you start trashing our Rain players and our experience against Rain. Thats all I wanted to address. Everything else is fine. Debate away.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I think Rain is good and nobody is playing him to his full potential.

That being said, he is definitely not top 10 material and is A tier at best

SLy

Noob
Sigh..no if I stagger a string and you think I'm not going to stagger and you use your armor, you waste a bar of meter, which creates a mix up of its own. If I'm at -3 or neutral your blocked armor isn't going to do anything, but push me away. It's all guessing and reads, which shouldn't be factored into match up charts anyway.

Not to mention Jade has things like 3, staff grab, which is not armorable and creates a great deal of distance between her and the opponent, but I think LETHAL was right and I'll bow out.

Not arguing it's even, just not 7-3 (could be 5-5 or 4-6).
Making good reads is pretty much the majority of jades game..which is why I really dont take her MU numbers serious at all.I agree though. I never said it was 7-3. I just said in time its possible it can change.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
All of them are massive risk to Stryker more so than Rain. The uppercut is a guess, its not gauranteed, if you guess right you get 12%, if Rain guess right he gets 39% minimum + wake up pressure. So thats 3x the reward because the Stryker player gets impatient.
The safest way for Stryker to escape is Ex-roll, but if thats read Rain can jump it and lightning the whiff.

Strykers strings all end negative, so that means that Rain can start offense the moment he finishes blocking. Gun shots wont keep him out, just like they dont keep anybody else out.

Rain can pace the gunshots by returning lighting after a blocked gunshot.
I hope I didn't mean to make it look like Stryker advantage. I meant Rain advantage...

Espio

Kokomo
A F0xy Grampa Can you give your insight on the Kitana, Lao, Jax and Shang MUs? I'm very curious to hear your opinions on those MUs.

As far as the matchups you have question marks next to I personally think they are Freddy 4-6, Jade 6-4, and Stryker 5-5
Agreed, my thoughts too. I can't believe I missed this post earlier lol. We gotta play again soon :).

foxy being a good/bad rain player doesnt matter, this is a matchup discussion and it should only be based on the tools of the character vs the tools of the other characters. there are a lot of players who ahve a better understanding of a character than top players but they just don't have the ability to read opponents as well, not good enough footsies, not clutch enough.

we all know characters can be unexplored and half of the communtiy didnt have kung lao in their top 5 a year ago when he got nerfed. it was foxy who hyped up KL and guess what? foxy knocked reo out 2-0 at evo with kung lao and pl won evo with him.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
6-4 rain vs jax, that's a no, play a real jax and tell me you beat him 6-4 in a ft10 :]

Flagg

Noob
Oh for christ sakes, some of you are like hyenas.

"please explain please explain please explain please explain because I refuse to believe my character loses to rain and I find that a personal insult, etc".

I'm beginning to think these match up charts are a bad idea, because rather than generate some healthy debate, people use them as a means of attacking players they dont like.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Oh for christ sakes, some of you are like hyenas.

"please explain please explain please explain please explain because I refuse to believe my character loses to rain and I find that a personal insult, etc".

I'm beginning to think these match up charts are a bad idea, because rather than generate some healthy debate, people use it as a means of attacking players they dont like.
Yup. Tier lists and MU numbers are merely theories and I truly believe that the players who are obssessed with these charts fall victim to what licensed therapists would call "group think". Also, this type of thinking and obssession over numbers allows players a free excuse as to the reasoning behind their defeat. "Oh well I lost because that MU is 4-6...blah blah blah". Have a discussion on character tools vs tools...not numbers that are constantly changing.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
6-4 rain vs jax, that's a no, play a real jax and tell me you beat him 6-4 in a ft10 :]
I've played a fuck tonne of games since MK9 was released, and of about half of them, have been against Jax.
When I talk about a character beating Jax, its based on everything 1 character has that shuts Jax down.

The 1 thing that keeps it a 6-4 is that Rain has a hitbox and cant interupt F413, he can punish GPs anywhere on the screen, has a massively better midscreen game, superior armour, superior damage.

Rains corner game is almost as brutal as Jaxs with meter. Half life and possible meter drain each time, even with his back to the wall.

I've played a fuck tonne of games since MK9 was released, and of about half of them, have been against Jax.
When I talk about a character beating Jax, its based on everything 1 character has that shuts Jax down.

The 1 thing that keeps it a 6-4 is that Rain has a hitbox and cant interupt F413, he can punish GPs anywhere on the screen, has a massively better midscreen game, superior armour, superior damage.

Rains corner game is almost as brutal as Jaxs with meter. Half life and possible meter drain each time, even with his back to the wall.
Interrupt with what, Lightning?
You go ahead and do that then get punished when he cancels it.