What's new

Match-up Discussion Oooooh Numbers

bipolar_shango

" Bros before Hoes"
Why would lao ever throw a spin on block? He interrupts all of rains pressure with 21 or 24 which are both safe. Lao can basically stand there and mash 21/24. If rain has no meter he cant do anything but try to use his shitty pokes which dont grant enough advantage. Then once rain has meter just bait the armor once and you're in again. Its a really simple minded MU for lao. Rains hitbox doesnt do him any favors either.
Back dash lightening and D4 would like to have a word with you.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Back dash lightening and D4 would like to have a word with you.
D4 is about the only thing that is even thinkable. backdash lightning? Are you mad? trying to dash back first of all when lao is using 7 frame normals is most likely impossible. Secondly youre going to dash back and throw lightning? If anything i would b2 or 4 but like i said this probly isnt even possible to just backdash away from lao or any character for that matter while they are pressuring.

astronout

see you at the top.
Shang has better zoning & footsie tools.
A blocked lightning or waterbubble can be pushished heavily by Shang anywhere on the screen.
Although Rain's armor could prove probelmatic as F4~GS is interruptible, it can easily be substituted with F4~Soul Steal.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
no problem, 21 on a read can be ducked for d4 and punished depending on the duration

just like KL i assume must spin that on a read
Its not like rain can mount an entire game off of d4. He isnt sonya. Its also pretty risky to just throw out a 12 frame poke against a character like lao.

bipolar_shango

" Bros before Hoes"
D4 is about the only thing that is even thinkable. backdash lightning? Are you mad? trying to dash back first of all when lao is using 7 frame normals is most likely impossible. Secondly youre going to dash back and throw lightning? If anything i would b2 or 4 but like i said this probly isnt even possible to just backdash away from lao or any character for that matter while they are pressuring.
"Reads" brother, "reads"... thats all there is to it. And that goes both ways.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
No. Every character with an 8 frame normal beats 8-2.:rolleyes:
Lao 21 isnt just 7 frames. It hits mid on rain when hes crouch blocking. A 7 FRAME MID. Then because of rains hitbox he has to worry about all of laos tele shenanigans which are still not easy to deal with for most of the cast unless you have a fast uppercut (rain does not). Then you have to factor in laos mobility, the fact that he can outzone and counter rain in a ton of ways. You have no chance of staying away from or laming lao out with rain. Im done discussing this MU cause kenshi is the only thing that comes close to how retarded it is to fight against lao with rain.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Shang does not lose to rain. He has the footsie tools to compete with him.
Rain has so much more range/damage than Shang.
Shang has to be careful with skulls because a lightning attempt is free after a blocked ground skull. (Not pointblank obviously)
Shangs rushdown isnt enough to worry about.
Shang has no threatening armour, that means the he's basically free to the 5050 of the RH cancel.

About the Lao matchup.

1. Laos tele bullshit doesnt work against any character the way you guys think it does, I've been saying it since the beginning of time, backdash. Rain punishes the teleport rediculously.

2. Both characters rushdown works on the other, and both characters defence works on eachother. KL has no armour to break RH cancels and so is stuck in the 5050. Rain has slower normals but massive armour, so if a KL player even tried to 21 at 0f and you do armour, thats half their life.You can also make sure you dont get crossed over by dashing forward with armour and 4 RH, it should maintain the armour and autocorrect the 4.

Smarrgasm, I've been going even with FKs KL using Rain for a long time.

That means that both characters have chances to build meter as they normally would.

The big hitbox arguement doesnt apply to Rain so much. Gotta remember, his armour isnt just armour, its a 50% life taking option that can be hitconfirmed for a combo, or block confirmed for the RH cancels.

About Kitana:

iAFs seem to ruin Rain, at least mine, combine this with longer reach on her 21, d1 and f21 she's pretty much untouchable. Armour is meh because Kitanas offense in general isnt continuous, so theres alot less opportunities to interupt.

Add the fact that Rains 4 makes him airbourne, if you're trying to catch her with this and she's catching you with a fan, thats alot of damage to take.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
I just wont ever see that MU being close to even. In my eyes rain just has to work way harder than lao does. Im just not gonna discuss it anymore. I have my personal chart posted and ill change any numbers there if i feel like they should be changed. Personal charts>everyone trying to prove a full MU chart. I wish i could play Lao like it was a 5-5. Good for you cause that MU for me is like autoloss.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I just wont ever see that MU being close to even. In my eyes rain just has to work way harder than lao does. Im just not gonna discuss it anymore. I have my personal chart posted and ill change any numbers there if i feel like they should be changed. Personal charts>everyone trying to prove a full MU chart. I wish i could play Lao like it was a 5-5. Good for you cause that MU for me is like autoloss.
I guess its different, but I've had all the KL experience anybody could ask for. Playing him, and against PL, FK, UFG. The characters weaknesses are there, you just gotta know how to capitalize.

Also, Rain has the ability to turn alot of characters strengths, into liabilities.

Since some of you wanted to know (and you all love numbers and lists and such), heres what I think for Rain at the moment:
I put question marks next to those I havent had enough experience against using Rain.

Baraka 6-4
Cybersub 5-5
Cyrax 5-5
Ermac 5-5
Freddy ???
Jade ???
Jax 6-4
Cage 5-5
Kabal 4-6
Kano 7-3
Kenshi 3-7
Kitana 3-7
Kung lao 5-5
Liu kang 6-4
Mileena 5-5
Nightwolf 7-3
Noob 6-4
Quan chi 6-4
Raiden 5-5
Reptile 5-5
Scorpion 7-3
Sektor 5-5
Shang 6-4
Sheeva 7-3
Sindel 4-6
Skarlet 4-6
Smoke 5-5
Sonya 5-5
Stryker ???
Sub zero 5-5

In general Rain beats those with worse footsie tools, goes even on those that rely heavily on good footsie tools, (Sonya, Mileena, Raiden, Sektor etc.) and loses to those with good projectiles that move them backwards (except for Kabals iAGB).

He does well against rushdown characters. Struggles more so against turtles, other than SZ.

I rate him pretty highly because:

- 2 connected 4RH kicks is a round won
- RH cancels are effectively a safe 50/50 that takes no meter and can only be stopped by meter or the opponent interupting.
- 4RH has redonkulous reach.
- He can drain meter, which is great against characters like Cyrax/Smoke who will generally do alot less damage meterless.
- No respect armour is a great psychological advantage in a close game.
- 9 and 10f starters that naturally link into RH
- Good anti airs
- Good options against opponents wakeups.
- Lightning can be used to whiff punish alot of things anywhere on the screen.
- Probably most likely character in the game to get you toasty boosts :p

kung lao 5-5?
reptile 5-5?
liu kang 6-4?
jax 6-4?
sonya and cage even(ill buy the cage)?
raiden even??? hmmm

i dunno man i dunno............... i think ur overestimating a smidgeon

Why would lao ever throw a spin on block? He interrupts all of rains pressure with 21 or 24 which are both safe. Lao can basically stand there and mash 21/24. If rain has no meter he cant do anything but try to use his shitty pokes which dont grant enough advantage. Then once rain has meter just bait the armor once and you're in again. Its a really simple minded MU for lao. Rains hitbox doesnt do him any favors either.
2 doesnt hit mid its not that simple. I do think 21/24 works great but rain can safely armor out for full combo and the lao player needs to be aware of pokes and space correctly with that string

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
2 doesnt hit mid its not that simple. I do think 21/24 works great but rain can safely armor out for full combo and the lao player needs to be aware of pokes and space correctly with that string
21 hits mid on rain crouch blocking. all of 1121 except the first 1 also hits mid.

Flagg

Noob
If only Rains B2 was a low, he'd be RIDICULOUS!

In terms of absolute raw damage, im not sure there is anyone in the game that can match him for no meter. I know CSZ, Sindel and Ermac can get up there, but really, 4 rh is such a devastating punisher....other characters need set ups or jump in.

Thank you based Qwark. 10-0 rain.
if all the lao player is doing is 21/24 pressure you on point blank and not spacing it at all and he doesnt spin on read. all you need to do is after 21 d4 him and follow up with 4/3 since both hit mid and fast enough, you will always be able to follow up your d4 on hit. kung lao cannot, even if he hits you with d4 you will always be able to hit kung lao with a d4 to stop his pressure.

why dont you list your specific problems with rain and I assure you I can tell you things that will change your opinion on the matchup. I think it is 6-4 lao, but rain is definitely not helpless.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
It's not that easy... foxy's is 3 levels ahead of any other rain i've ever played
Ya I am sure it is really great, but I think just based on the tools the MU favors Smoke. It don't mean to make the impression that Smoke completely dominates, 4-6 is still winnable.

Flagg

Noob
Guy's, check this out if you want to know what Foxy's Rain is like:
(he uses Cage for the first 2 fights so forward to after 3:30 mins if you want to see his Rain)

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Rain has so much more range/damage than Shang.
Shang has to be careful with skulls because a lightning attempt is free after a blocked ground skull. (Not pointblank obviously)
Shangs rushdown isnt enough to worry about.
Shang has no threatening armour, that means the he's basically free to the 5050 of the RH cancel.
- Rain does not have more range- the SS covers more distance than any of Rain's normals. He does do more damage, as you mentioned.
- Likewise, Rain has to be careful with lightning. A blocked lightning gives Shang a free SS or GS attempt when it is blocked. This aspect seems fairly even to me, since both characters can not recklessly throw out specials.
- Shang's rushdown can still be effective, although he has to mix it up with SS setups and good spacing. Rain can EX RH during Shang's up close pressure, but Shang can back away if he needs to. Rain can't afford to waste his meter.
- Actually Shang does not have to worry as much about RH pressure. He can get out of it without meter by using his D+3, which causes the RH to whiff.