6. Tanya
7. Mil-ex roll-ena
8. Sub zero
9. Kitana
10. Sonya

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
Aggressive characters with a risky 50/50 benefit immeasurably online

I'd say top Ermac & Quan Chi are online gods I think, closely followed by DVorah and Raiden, although Flame Fist LK gets a mention for being really hard to deal with, overtaking DF under virtue of lag.
d'vorah an online god? she suffers more from lag than benefits. cancels won't connect, frame trap suddenly can be interrupted because your timing is too slow even you can pull it off offline 10/10 and as if b1 wgc isn't hard enough offline don't even bother trying this with a 3 bar connection or less. I agree with ermac, quan and raiden but there's a reason why d'vorah is one of the most underplayed characters online by far. the people who wreck you with her don't win because of lag.

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
Look at saltfaces twith its SaltyQuinn its a hill mostly semi decent mileenas but theres one SUPER online mileenaa he goes on like a 10 winstreak and then when you realise youre wrong apologise its a broadcast from 12 days ago its like 5 hours 40 mins long the online mileenas gt is II bryan II i think
Apologize? For what? Just watched a stream with a C88_Swift vs the Bryan guy - Bryan rolled maybe 4 times, with one being from distance and ended up being short. One of his rolls was blocked and the user didn't punish - he poked it and jumped out of the corner. The rolls he got through were enhanced and he got through on a poke attempt.

Here's the stream I found it, 20 minute mark or so: http://www.twitch.tv/saltyquinn/v/11161052

Is there a spot here you'd like me to watch specifically? That match was just better Mileena play than Shinnok. I watched his match vs Saltface as well and I didn't see anything done there that wouldn't work offline. Maybe a more experienced user can tell me what wouldn't work in those game plays. The Bryan guy to my "untrained" eyes looks like he played Mileena pretty well - nothing too risky and almost textbook.

Maybe this is why I don't get the argument of her being dominant online - maybe I'm not seeing what the rest of y'all are seeing.

So let me get this straight
The Cassie variation WITHOUT a +62 restand and missile setups is top tier online? Kotal and Takeda, with gaps EVERYWHERE, top tier online? The only way Kotal and Takeda are hitting you if the lag is equal is...if you're jumping randomly I guess? The EB variation reliant on run cancels, which are difficult if not impossible to pull off in the netcode quagmire? Ermac at number 7 and no Inferno Scorpion, and "Shinnok is punishable online" as a defense to put low and low-mid chars like Takeda and Jacqui up there?

You on that dank kush
You act like you know what type of Cassie or any variation of a character I always fight against online. This is my online list for the people I've fought against and I can tell you in my PERSONAL assumption, this is the few that can get away with murder online. Calm that idiotic "kush" stuff down, I'm not here saying your list is lacking am I?

Yeah...I'm just gonna call you out for saying that war god kotal is more annoying then shinnok online. Seems like a lot of people just wanna defend their main's lag tactics. The fact that you have ermac, erron, takeda and kung jin below him it actually mind boggling.
What the hell can my "main", Necromancer Shinnok get away with online? Half of his special moves are EASY AS FUCK to avoid and are negative on block! Erron has a freaking safe command grab that can get you anytime after that 11212 string and if it's lagging, it's a done deal. Ermac with that overhead online and low-high mixups are more annoying than anything Shinnok can do online. Kung Jin with that NJP range outhits and converts much easier than shinnok online.

Defending my main? How can I defend my main when he's easy as hell to react to and counter online? Holy crap, have you never played a Shinnok online, with lag? I've done those mirrors and can tell you it's horrendously horrible.

C88 Zombieekiler

Up and coming sub zero
Apologize? For what? Just watched a stream with a C88_Swift vs the Bryan guy - Bryan rolled maybe 4 times, with one being from distance and ended up being short. One of his rolls was blocked and the user didn't punish - he poked it and jumped out of the corner. The rolls he got through were enhanced and he got through on a poke attempt.

Here's the stream I found it, 20 minute mark or so: http://www.twitch.tv/saltyquinn/v/11161052

Is there a spot here you'd like me to watch specifically? That match was just better Mileena play than Shinnok. I watched his match vs Saltface as well and I didn't see anything done there that wouldn't work offline. Maybe a more experienced user can tell me what wouldn't work in those game plays. The Bryan guy to my "untrained" eyes looks like he played Mileena pretty well - nothing too risky and almost textbook.

Maybe this is why I don't get the argument of her being dominant online - maybe I'm not seeing what the rest of y'all are seeing.
@YOMI RM SaltFace btw it was my 1st game with shinnok and if you cant see anything wrong with his gameplay you must be an actual idiot when the best mileena says youre shit and only win because online is shit id like to think youd realise lol this fool was poking after d3 on block which is - yolo jk into teleporting in fact id go on a whim and say my shinnok play is better than his mileenas and the fact youre writing paragraphs to back up your bullshit excuses and downplaying is funny

D

Deleted member 9158

Scrub kang is super hard to punish online. Also ermacs that mash D3 infuriate me to no end.

JerzeyReign

@YOMI RM SaltFace btw it was my 1st game with shinnok and if you cant see anything wrong with his gameplay you must be an actual idiot when the best mileena says youre shit and only win because online is shit id like to think youd realise lol this fool was poking after d3 on block which is - yolo jk into teleporting in fact id go on a whim and say my shinnok play is better than his mileenas and the fact youre writing paragraphs to back up your bullshit excuses and downplaying is funny
First and foremost, I'm a grown ass man - don't ever call me an idiot. I'm really not being disrespectful in any type of way. I don't play these little "I'm in a clan so I'm tough online" games. I'm really a relaxed dude in person but I can get on that dumb shxt. I'm showing/giving you respect and I expect that in return boss.

Along those lines, I respect Saltface's game and I learn a lot from watching his videos but I'm a grown man who stands on my own two feet - his word isn't the gospel to me. I listen to what he says/posts and then go verify for myself. No disrespect to him but its just my mentality: trust but verify.

But if paragraphs make you angry, please stop quoting my posts. My responses will be done in this format if I feel its necessary.

just realised you said this you obviously should have went to specsavers if you think thats textbook mileena play.
He applied pressure needed. Used his low sai appropriately. Rolled when he saw a whiff. Saved meter and used it to use his enhanced roll. He did a lot more good than bad in these matches.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
First and foremost, I'm a grown ass man - don't ever call me an idiot. I'm really not being disrespectful in any type of way. I don't play these little "I'm in a clan so I'm tough online" games. I'm really a relaxed dude in person but I can get on that dumb shxt. I'm showing/giving you respect and I expect that in return boss.

Along those lines, I respect Saltface's game and I learn a lot from watching his videos but I'm a grown man who stands on my own two feet - his word isn't the gospel to me. I listen to what he says/posts and then go verify for myself. No disrespect to him but its just my mentality: trust but verify.

But if paragraphs make you angry, please stop quoting my posts. My responses will be done in this format if I feel its necessary.

He applied pressure needed. Used his low sai appropriately. Rolled when he saw a whiff. Saved meter and used it to use his enhanced roll. He did a lot more good than bad in these matches.
Do you ever play offline?

Just asking, because I never really realized how broken online was until I began playing good players offline.

JerzeyReign

Do you ever play offline?

Just asking, because I never really realized how broken online was until I began playing good players offline.
Yes. I play in Killeen, TX (when they play), Austin, TX (one of the more consistent group that plays) and I've played in San Antonio, TX (when I go visit the in laws).

I agree, offline is a different world and I'm pretty much exclusively offline now so I can compete better in Austin and San Antonio. Those guys are pretty damn good haha.

C88 Zombieekiler

Up and coming sub zero

i dont chat shit because im in a clan trust i always chat shit clan or not and it may seem like he "applied the pressure needed" when in all actuality he was playing in an easy to recognise pattern and pressing buttons when hes at disadvantage, also he didnt "roll when he saw a whiff" he rolled 80% on wakeup and 20% out of nowhere. The guy had a shit connection and abused the frame delay end of story and if you cant see that im sorry but i dont think you know the game well.

Is no secret that in MKX, online is ass... Combos are harder to execute, spacing and footsi is difficult to utilize with lag, Anti air's are harder to utilize, and punishing becomes very difficult with some characters.

With that said, what are the characters that can capitalize and reign in the online Jell-o the most?

My picks would be:

1. Quan Chi Summoner (Unblockable Vortex in Lag)

2. Brain Dead Bone Scraper Shinnok (Sparks with his other zoning is stupid, as well as his vortex. Overhead is near unpunishable online)

3. Kung Lao Tempest (Stagger String Pressure.... Stagger String Pressure for dayzzzzzzz, and jumpers)

4. Mindless Sonya Blade All Variations (50/50 on everything, hard to armor through, lag is so bad that after a 50/50 she gets ANOTHER 50/50 with her military stance)

5. Kitana Royal Storm/ Mournful (Zoning is extraordinarily difficult to maneuver around in online, especially against Kitana who capitalizes on mistakes from people trying to evade her zoning.

6. Un-punishable Mileena (She is definitely punishable, but in online suddenly blocked ballroll into exball roll is a thing)

7. Liu Kang All Variations (Pseudo block strings and descent zoning in lag. I say no more)

8 Tanya Pyromancer (Jump back and zone for days. So hard to catch in lag)

9. Raiden Master of the Strom (Huge active frames with his 21 stagger string I think it is, and just a good character)

10. Takeda Ronin YOLO instant Air Chain Grab (Any negative string into njp)

What are your picks?
I wanna see what the blocked roll yo ex roll looks like, I've never seen anybody do that unless your punish game is just terrible

Matix218

Get over here!
Yesterday I was playing online against an inferno scorpion (big surprise) and he would constantly teleport and I would block it and input my punish but HIS d1 would beat my fast punishing normal. This was a 3 bar ping (supposedly) and somehow his hella negative teleport couldn't be punished by my 8frame normal before his 6frame d1 came out.

The biggest issue with online is that it does not even remotely emulate how the game is actually played. You cant walk back and forward because special moves that can be blocked and punished on reaction cannot be blocked on reaction online. So you are constantly blocking to prevent getting hit by these moves.

Also counterpoking is an absolute joke online. I was playing an ermac with my ninjutsu scorp the other day and I would block his d3 and attempt a d1 (6frames mind you) so I could try to get some advantage and apply pressure but NOPE, his mashing follow-up d3 beat my d1.

The absolute worst part of online though is that it is purely read based. Half of the time you just have to throw stuff out that you wouldn't dream of throwing out offline just to keep your opponent from going ham with his best lag strat move. I just wish there was a way to get even a similar experience online to the offline experience. I don't even feel like I am playing the game honestly. The fact that inferno scorpion is not only good online but actually being mentioned as a top 10 character when he is in reality the worst variation of a mid tier (at best) character is a testament to just how terrible online is and just how much it completely changes everything about the game

C88 Zombieekiler

Up and coming sub zero
Yesterday I was playing online against an inferno scorpion (big surprise) and he would constantly teleport and I would block it and input my punish but HIS d1 would beat my fast punishing normal. This was a 3 bar ping (supposedly) and somehow his hella negative teleport couldn't be punished by my 8frame normal before his 6frame d1 came out.

The biggest issue with online is that it does not even remotely emulate how the game is actually played. You cant walk back and forward because special moves that can be blocked and punished on reaction cannot be blocked on reaction online. So you are constantly blocking to prevent getting hit by these moves.

Also counterpoking is an absolute joke online. I was playing an ermac with my ninjutsu scorp the other day and I would block his d3 and attempt a d1 (6frames mind you) so I could try to get some advantage and apply pressure but NOPE, his mashing follow-up d3 beat my d1.

The absolute worst part of online though is that it is purely read based. Half of the time you just have to throw stuff out that you wouldn't dream of throwing out offline just to keep your opponent from going ham with his best lag strat move. I just wish there was a way to get even a similar experience online to the offline experience. I don't even feel like I am playing the game honestly. The fact that inferno scorpion is not only good online but actually being mentioned as a top 10 character when he is in reality the worst variation of a mid tier (at best) character is a testament to just how terrible online is and just how much it completely changes everything about the game
man you just literally put my thoughts into words.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
A lot of these discrepancies with regards to what is and is not easily punishable online could be due to the different rates of frame delay/input lag experienced by different users, even within the same game.

For example, I regularly drop the f4 after jik xx teleport portion of my Ermac BnB online. The window for the f4 after the teleport is absolutely massive offline, and I never drop this portion of the combo offline, but online I swear to god it becomes a 3 frame link for me. Other people I play with regularly are shocked that it is possible for me to drop this portion of the combo, but that is MKX online for me in a "good" connection.

In an "average" connection match, Raiden's B2,B2 will drop for me in the corner. Impossibru.

Additionally, an individual I play with every once in a while, someone who I consider a good player whose opinion I respect, told me that I needed to work on my poking game today (i.e. I wasn't poking after he performed punishable strings, as far as he knew). Fact of the matter is, I was poking, but my 7 frame pokes and 6 frame starters are regularly beat out by moves with more startup frames, even after I am plus.

Even with all of these problems, I can punish Mileena's ball roll, although I get hit by her EX OH version if I so much as tap down a second before she does the move, I am full comboed by it. Also, telekikck is extremely difficult to punish, online.

Just stating my own experience and observations, as I believe it to be pertinent to the thread.