What's new

Official UMK3:TE Changelog and Discussion Thread

Some low tier characters have been over-buffed, some upper tier characters over nerfed, and some changes have really made me scratch my head...

It really just feels like "muh elitilism", "my secret closed club", "muh special experiance and only I can do it right" attitude.
I get what you're saying, it absolutely does feel this way at times. It's become more of a "we want to change the game to play the way WE think it should play", and feels much less like approaching the community as a whole and asking how to make the game better.

The sub zero brothers are nearing God-tier in this game. so much containment to keep you away, and high damage combos when they strike. Kitana had a 5 hit kick combo added, while scorpion's 4 hit mini-popup that was added was taken away, and is back to 3 hits. The reason for BOTH?? "timing". Kabal had his 3 hit kick combo taken away, because "timing".

As long as you have a close-knit, cards to their vest group of people modding a game, you'll NEVER see it turn out like something such as Project-M (smash melee project), because that's at least somewhat of a community effort, and characters are kept balanced so they all have decent MU's and can compete. When the subs can get 50% off of a freeze, but human smoke is struggling to get 35% off an anti-air, that's crazy. Last I checked swine-liu (or Louis C. Kang if you prefer) can get 68% in the corner off a pop up.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of TE. I'd love it more if it wasn't so closely guarded when it comes to the changes being made. I see it as if 100 different MK source codes got out there, there'd be maybe 2-3 polished up like TE, and the rest would be abandoned after a "programmer" couldn't figure out that bug that cancels DP and disables the hit count after human smoke does a certain combo string. that make sense?

NSR

Also known as Futuretime23
Some low tier characters have been over-buffed, some upper tier characters over nerfed, and some changes have really made me scratch my head...

I get what you're saying, it absolutely does feel this way at times. It's become more of a "we want to change the game to play the way WE think it should play", and feels much less like approaching the community as a whole and asking how to make the game better.

The sub zero brothers are nearing God-tier in this game. so much containment to keep you away, and high damage combos when they strike. Kitana had a 5 hit kick combo added, while scorpion's 4 hit mini-popup that was added was taken away, and is back to 3 hits. The reason for BOTH?? "timing". Kabal had his 3 hit kick combo taken away, because "timing".

As long as you have a close-knit, cards to their vest group of people modding a game, you'll NEVER see it turn out like something such as Project-M (smash melee project), because that's at least somewhat of a community effort, and characters are kept balanced so they all have decent MU's and can compete. When the subs can get 50% off of a freeze, but human smoke is struggling to get 35% off an anti-air, that's crazy. Last I checked swine-liu (or Louis C. Kang if you prefer) can get 68% in the corner off a pop up.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of TE. I'd love it more if it wasn't so closely guarded when it comes to the changes being made. I see it as if 100 different MK source codes got out there, there'd be maybe 2-3 polished up like TE, and the rest would be abandoned after a "programmer" couldn't figure out that bug that cancels DP and disables the hit count after human smoke does a certain combo string. that make sense?
what about Kabal and Human Smoke as a whole? It's easy to assume they are no longer Number 1 and 2 on the tier list, where are they now?
Mileena and Sheeva are two other ones I'm curious about.

They're still up there. In his existing form, Human Smoke now has invisibility so that doesn't HURT him - at least it doesn't hurt him as bad as not having an air throw.

Kabal doesn't even have an IAF anymore, he's still good but he's beyond nerfed - more like neutered. Mil and Sheeva are much improved, I'd say Mil is definitely in the top 10. More combo damage really helps her.

NSR

I know I've asked this already, but has there been absolutely no estimate? outside of a few specific characters that have been mentioned (thanks @tehdrewsus ) I don't mean exact with matchups and all.

I know I've asked this already, but has there been absolutely no estimate? outside of a few specific characters that have been mentioned (thanks @tehdrewsus ) I don't mean exact with matchups and all.
The game is still beta, and honestly not many people are playing outside the testers. Only people I know that play with any regularity are @Dank_Sinatra @Mikemetroid (if he plays anymore) @Konqrr and @Shock . I'm sure there are others but those are the only ones I've seen real footage of.

@YOMI REO @Juggs did quite a bit of demoing when the first beta hit, but not really anything since then.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Too many changes to keep up with. Tried to play at TCW but I had forgotten everything. TE would be better off, imo, with just a few top tiers nerfed slightly, and the corner jab infinite gone and a few other infinities.

Just hard to go between real UMK3 and TE since TE is waay different.

Dank_Sinatra

Comfortably Numb
Too many changes to keep up with. Tried to play at TCW but I had forgotten everything. TE would be better off, imo, with just a few top tiers nerfed slightly, and the corner jab infinite gone and a few other infinities.

Just hard to go between real UMK3 and TE since TE is waay different.
I notice no real difference, with the only exception being that TE is faster-paced. I think it shows that the people that have a difficult time transitioning place too much emphasis on one style of play.

I notice no real difference, with the only exception being that TE is faster-paced. I think it shows that the people that have a difficult time transitioning place too much emphasis on one style of play.
what, on glitch jabs? I don't feel like TE is faster. it's different, but not faster.

Dank_Sinatra

Comfortably Numb
what, on glitch jabs? I don't feel like TE is faster. it's different, but not faster.
I'm not saying glitch jabs specifically but yeah, any tactic that is specific to vanilla. The reduction in startup/recovery on most moves gives it a spark that vanilla doesn't possess.

Stryker is a perfect example.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Just about every character is different and the general high level game play is way different.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I haven't updated anything in a long time, sorry guys. I recently started a new job and work 60 hours a week. I'll get the change log up to date eventually and inform of changes, etc.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Honestly, when you go character by character, TE changes are not hard to follow, when you think of it like OMG 24 characters worth of changes, really it's not many per character. Many of you are use to playing the same game for the last 10 years, even just 5, I'm use to playing it for 20. I have only really played TE against people for minutes at a time at a bunch of tournaments over the last year or so, and it's fun. I really have no desire to play vanilla UMK3, I will and do of course, still play it, but really, I don't care if people think they are being purist or that UMK3 is free from flaws, this big noggin knows what's up and when it's ready, we'll push it.

As for how different the game is, I will go as far as to say UMKII, with possibly less overall individual changes is no MORE different from MKII than TE is over UMK3. UMKII still feels like MKII with better control, control as it should have been intended. TE still plays just like UMK3. The changes in jabs, especially after subsequent modifcations in store, the corner game will be better. This ONE thing, IMO, is what turns players off, otherwise, I don't buy at all that the gameplay feels any different, on any level outside of individual character changes which is as simple as comparing it to a SF4 balance update such as Super, AE or Ultra. UMKII has more global changes to gameplay.

Last edited:

NSR

That's funny, I thought it was the other way around, at least as far as I could tell, UMK2 got more positive reception than UMK3 TE did, at least from certain people.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
TE is a different game at high levels, this is unavoidable with all the general gameplay changes and the individual character changes. The regular level of play is definitely very close to the same, which is why some don't see much of a difference. But going from vanilla to TE without being practiced in TE is a big difference and there's a lot of stuff to memorize, it's like a completely new/different game.

Ticroo

Noob
what about Kabal and Human Smoke as a whole? It's easy to assume they are no longer Number 1 and 2 on the tier list, where are they now?
Mileena and Sheeva are two other ones I'm curious about.
Major upgrade to Sheeva is her Earthquake Stomp which at close range now leaves opponent open for juggle. Her moveset still pretty much sucks, but her combos make up for it. Make one mistake against a good Sheeva player and you're in for a big punishment.

Kabal remains a tough one. Not sure if he's still the best pick, but definitely among the top five.

Human Smoke is, on the other hand, noticeably nerfed, but IMO it's for the best. The exclusion of his Air Throw highly affects his overall damage output, but I welcome that change. One can no longer pull off an easy 50% damage combo, but I'm pretty certain HS remains the top tier regardless. Besides, he is not just a faster version of Scorpion with few of Ermac's combos anymore. I'm still not being able to make use of his invisibility, though.

Haven't really played Mileena so I can't help you there. :/

Also, I disagree with what someone said about Sub-Zeros being OP. Ninja Sub has received buffs, but can hardly be called a god tier. Hell, I don't even consider him a top tier! Strong mid-tier at best (which is still a major improvement over the vanilla version where he was next to useless). Now, unmasked Sub is definitely a top tier, but it remains to be seen whether he's really No. 1. So far, I haven't had too much problems playing against him, but only the time will tell...

NSR

@tehdrewsus
true, but there's no harm in discussing how the characters are now.
Now as for Cyrax still not being good. that's a shame.
btw, is Kano really that bad now? He was awesome in MK3/UMK3 (never played him that much in MKT)

Ticroo

Noob
Kitana?!

Cyrax is STILL not very viable.

In reality… The game is still in beta… No reason to talk tier lists
Right. Could be I'm wrong about Kitana... Not one of my mains. Cyrax? Dunno, bro. He has some mean corner pressure with his new bomb combo.