What's new

Official TYM UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) Discussion

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
^^ Would really love for Wanderlei to win, but that's one risky bet. His chin is shot, he doesn't recover nearly as well as he used to, and he's lost a lot of his speed and explosiveness. Hope I'm wrong.
I picked him to win purely because he was the fighter to get me into MMA. If I was choosing from a logical standpoint I would pick Stann... but fuck it Wanderlei is a legend and I can never pick him to lose.

Also Mizugaki is awesome. Finally won 2 ina row under ZUFFA lol.

coolwhip

Noob
I picked him to win purely because he was the fighter to get me into MMA. If I was choosing from a logical standpoint I would pick Stann... but fuck it Wanderlei is a legend and I can never pick him to lose.

Wanderlei's second fight with Quinton Jackson is for my money the greatest fight in MMA history. I never thought the ring was suitable for MMA and always preferred the cage, but if there's one good thing to come out of the usage of the ring in PRIDE, it's the image of Rampage gushing blood while lying motionless through the ropes.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young

I almost cried when he won that was amazing.

Also you guys in tym chat at all? I'm out getting food right now before the main card but ill go in if there's people

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
lolz

I am sooooo happy for Silva. I really hope he retires so he can retire off a victory. Too many people stretch their careers out and wait for like a 3-fight losing streak before they realize they're ready to give up.

Anyway, I'm pumped that the last TUF winners are fighting each other at 160 (Robert Whittaker vs Colton Smith). Whittaker actually really impresses me and I think he has a lot going for him in the UFC. I can't wait to see Colton's grapplefucking exposed.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Ok, I caught up again, so I can rejoin this thread lol. So that means it's time to say...

ARE... YOU..... READY????

Bunch of tough fighters on this card tonight. Should be a good show.

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
Goddamn Ellenberger's a beast, i've never been a believer in Marquart but i've never doubted his chin.

As usual, a GSP hugfest. I've gone from respecting his style of hugging and all of that, to just scorn his presence in the ring. I know this is mma and all but at what point does it stop being a fight when a guy just takes you down and holds you down? I mean im fine with the wrestling and grappling part of it, but at least put up some good GnP or try submissions and shit, winning fights by just scoring takes downs is getting so fucking old and retarded. His stand up and his stand up defense is suspect and borderline bad, the Silva fight would be very interesting.

With all that said, that's how he wins and makes his money, so yeah he'll probably keep doing it.

Yeah the rant's over lol.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Honestly lets be fair:

1) GSP stayed active on the ground in this fight and went for a bunch of elbows that looked like they hurt. Diaz is no slouch on the ground, has an active guard, and attempted a number of subs, which GSP had to constantly fend off. So this was no Dan Hardy situation.

2) GSP actually stood in the pocket and went toe to toe with Diaz on the feet. A lot of people won't do this, but GSP actually ate a number of shots and was snapping Diaz' head back with regularity. I'm not mad at GSP for mixing it up; and he showed that he's no slouch as a boxer. I was impressed.

He may not be a Mark Munoz, but I didn't see anything wrong with the way he fought last night.

CitizenSnips

Idk what people expected from GSP. He's been fighting like this for years. Literally for YEARS.

Diaz is not the better striker compared to GSP. Diaz might have better body punches and dirty boxing but that's it. GSP has far superior footwork, jabs, and kicks. The only way Diaz was going to win was a miracle submission or KO out of nowhere.

CRUM

Noob
I think GSP did what he wanted to do. And I don't see why people think Hendricks will destroy him. Hendricks didn't look all that great last night IMO. And I don't foresee him taking down GSP with any degree of consistency. I thought Condit could've even won that fight given the inactivity of Hendricks top game. I was honestly glad to see Diaz lose, there's something about him I don't like. And he clearly needs to surround himself with levelheaded people.

CitizenSnips

I think GSP did what he wanted to do. And I don't see why people think Hendricks will destroy him. Hendricks didn't look all that great last night IMO. And I don't foresee him taking down GSP with any degree of consistency. I thought Condit could've even won that fight given the inactivity of Hendricks top game. I was honestly glad to see Diaz lose, there's something about him I don't like. And he clearly needs to surround himself with levelheaded people.
Because Hendricks is very good at landing that left punch on people. He is relentless with it and the way he throws it is very odd and comes at different angles. Unlike Koscheck, Hendricks has actually KTFO top 10 fighters with his punch. And he is very good at closing the gap which is how he is hitting all of these top 10 guys wiht it despite everyone knowing that's his favorite attack. I think Hendricks can beat GSP but he has to do it in the first or second round. GSP is far more technical so once Hendricks slows down he is in for a tough fight. GSP is the favorite, but if anyone is KOing him it's Hendricks and maybe Ellenberger, but I think Hendricks has a better chance since he spams left hands all day.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I just know that in the past, everyone looks mighty until they run into GSP.. And it's always "the biggest threat GSP has ever faced".. And then they're taken to school, haha.

Hendricks is powerful but GSP is well-rounded.. It'll be an interesting fight.

Gixxerkid66

ChadtheDad412
GSP > ALL
that being said, until there is a fighter good enough to stuff his takedowns and force him into another game y would he stop banking on a surefire gameplan? The stat lines are just laughable:
http://blog.fightmetric.com/2013/03/st-pierre-vs-diaz-official-ufc.html
I would love to see him finish a fight the way he did agaist hughes, penn, serra or any of the fights he actually did finish. But he wont b losing to any welterweights anytime soon regardless.
Bring on silva already damnit.

CitizenSnips

I just know that in the past, everyone looks mighty until they run into GSP.. And it's always "the biggest threat GSP has ever faced".. And then they're taken to school, haha.

Hendricks is powerful but GSP is well-rounded.. It'll be an interesting fight.
A lot of people get hyped but Hendricks is more than that. The guy is the most legit title contender in years. Who else had to beat 4 top 10 guys in a row (including 2 KOs) to get a title shot? The only other fighter I can think of that had to go on that type of streak to get a title shot was JDS (2 top 10 wins, 7-0 before title shot).

I'm picking GSP to win by UD but I really do believe Hendricks actually has a decent chance to win.

coolwhip

Noob
Diaz was probably the worst guy in the division for GSP to look good against. Actually, while he was a good choice from a promotional perspective in terms of drawing hype, antagonizing GSP, and be an "interesting" personality, he was a terrible stylistic choice for the following reasons (ignore the fact that he was coming off a loss and a drug suspension):

1) He's got a god-like chin and is extremely durable.
2) He's got insane cardio
3) He's really good at defending himself on the ground
4) He's a fantastic grappler
5) Despite the above, his takedown defense was always pretty below-par
6) His main offense consists of cutting off the cage, pressuring, and volume punching
7) He lacks real one shot KO power and instead has to rely on overwhelming his opponent with combinations and body shots.
8) He's defensively iffy on the feet, and pretty hittable.

What the above meant was that St-Pierre, given his lack of serious KO power was never going to hurt Diaz on the feet, and wouldn't be able to get much going on the ground either. Meaning that not only did St-Pierre not have a real chance of finishing Diaz, he wouldn't be able to produce any damaging offense besides his jab.

Conversely, Diaz, despite being all but guaranteed to go the distance, had almost zero chance of actually winning the fight, or even produce any sort of offense whatsover. Playing an active guard game against St-Pierre is always a losing battle as his top game just stifles scrambles and submission attempts. Moreover, GSP is just way too technical/smart for him on the feet to just stand there, get closed down and eat combinations. He was always going to jab/circle, or switch levels and shoot for a double whenever Diaz committed.

In the end, you had a super tough guy who was never going to get finished or endure a serious beatdown, but with no real chance to win the fight either. Not a good combination.

With that said, I thought St-Pierre got more tired than usual. His takedowns in the final rounds of the fight lacked spring and explosiveness, and at times, they were a bit sloppy. Not sure if it was simply a flat performance, him having an off night, or his knee surgery slowing him down (it was hard to really judge after the Condit fight), but if I'm GSP, I'd alter my training methods a bit to regain his speed/explosiveness, which are huge aspects of his game. He looked a tad thicker around the shoulders, so maybe coming in a bit lighter against Hendricks would be wiser. I feel that as St-Pierre gets older and loses some of his athleticism, he needs to add some new tricks to his game to compensate.

coolwhip

Noob
I agree that Hendricks is probably the most legit contender for St-Pierre since Thiago Alves (who had a fantastic run up until that point and seemed to combine the kind of striking/takedown defense to potentially trouble GSP). In fairness, I thought Condit was really interesting as well, but his sub-par takedown defense always made it an uphill battle.

For starters, Hendricks can flat out end St-Pierre's night and get him out of the cage at any moment (particularly in the early going). Unlike Dan Hardy, this guy REALLY possesses serious knockout power. And unlike Dan Hardy, he's got the wrestling to keep the fight standing long enough to actually give himself the chance to land that punch. And this is where Hendricks differs from your usual "puncher's chance" fighters: he's actually good at other aspects of MMA to where he'll increase his puncher's chance. He's good in the clinch, has good offensive wrestling, solid defensive wrestling, and won't get stuck on his back for ages if he gets taken down. He won't be clueless on his back, and at some point will get underhooks and scramble.

I still favor St-Pierre as he's faster, has better cardio (unless there is more to the fact that he tired against Diaz), is a more technical/diverse striker, and just a more explosive wrestler. He's not going to get takedown down by Hendricks (and even if he is, he's amazing at getting back up), and while he won't be taking him down at will, he will put Hendricks on his back at some point, especially later in the fight. Hendricks just can't bullrush him the way he did to Condit, as St-Pierre will either circle or shoot. I actually think that if he can avoid Hendricks' left (and him getting caught is definitely a possibility, and no won't be able to survive), St-Pierre will look good against Hendricks, and will actually get a lot of offense later in the fight as Hendricks tires.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
CitizenSnips coolwhip i am a big Gustafsson fan and even though i knew Latifi had no real chance I had to go with the teammate.

I also originally had Akira and Brandao since I liked them on TUF but switched them. I thought Peralta was the only sure-fire win and somehow that didn't happen.