What's new

Official Patch Notes & Hotfix Released!

Dark_Rob

Noob
How in the heck is Sub better than Reptile? He's been a far less successful character throughout this game and got nerfed harder in this patch. I usually really like what m2dave has to say but am very curious about this one.
Armored EX slide makes it much more risky to try and zone SubZero. Subzero's offense is ridiculous. Throwing a projectile at him when he has meter now will net him a knockdown. This gives Sub the chance he needs to come inside where you dont want him to be. And if you respect his meter options now that means your not trying to zone him, and hes coming in anyway.
Also ice blast keeps the opponent frozen longer now, making it even riskier to try and trade projectiles with him. SubZero is gonna be insane now.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Armored EX slide makes it much more risky to try and zone SubZero. Subzero's offense is ridiculous. Throwing a projectile at him when he has meter now will net him a knockdown. This gives Sub the chance he needs to come inside where you dont want him to be. And if you respect his meter options now that means your not trying to zone him, and hes coming in anyway.
Also ice blast keeps the opponent frozen longer now, making it even riskier to try and trade projectiles with him. SubZero is gonna be insane now.
im switch my main from noob to cinder from killer instinct to counter you and brady.

by the way earlier it was mention by m2dave tht reo said noobs d+1 is 6 frames and b+1 is faster. why wasnt it on the list? did they hotfix those out?

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Well, it's about to increase. I hope you don't get mad. BTw, people started to find ways around ex dash punch and gp cancel. So they were good tools, but people weren't falling for them like they used to. So that's why I felt he was still lacking for example. If you take a look at CDJr switch to Jax against Cd at Summer Jam. CD was breaking any attempts at reset a or successful ex dash punches. It took a little luck and a shit ton of skill to win that set. It wasn't easy.
I'm not about to argue with you, but yes I originally thought his EX dash punch should hit crouching opponents. After all these buffs he's getting he definitely doesn't need it. The gp cancel is still a viable tool. Its a zoning/ guessing game with that. I mean if the person jumps you can anti air(jump in) or rush in on them(jump out). You could always just let him punch the ground if they guess you're going for a cancel anyway.After everyone gets used to his new buffs will he need anything else? My final note is that in high level play it usually(and should) take a shit ton of skill to win, regardless of character choice. Jax has been a monster for a while now, he's the only character I know of that can kill you in the corner from one hit confirm. (breakers pending)

I almost forgot. On another note, I'm guessing this extra freeze buff for sub doesn't transfer to csub? I mean how many times can we say "he has a dive kick" as an excuse for him not getting anything?

Truth

Noob
How in the heck is Sub better than Reptile? He's been a far less successful character throughout this game and got nerfed harder in this patch. I usually really like what m2dave has to say but am very curious about this one.
I wouldn't really consider taking away his ex-ground freeze reset a "hard nerf" because some Sub-Zero players never relied on it for example: Tom Brady. The major disadvantage that most SZ players had was getting in against zoners. With the faster speed and super-armor on ex-slide that all but nullfies that problem. Not only that but SZ can jump the projectile and clone, which prematurely sets up a ex-slide combo if the opponent throws another projectile. If the opponent doesn't do anything well then it allows SZ to advance. This is one of the many mind games that SZ has now, hopefully top SZ players like Brady can bring the best out of him.

sLeeK

Noob
In my opinion,

1. Kabal
2. Sub Zero
3. Cyrax, Reptile, Raiden

Kabal and Sub Zero seem particularly strong to me.
I need to say this, Dave thank you. You're posts are always informative and I always learn something from them. Once again, thank you.

Note - I learned three things from you today <3

Poto2222

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015.
• Sonya's 1,1,4 (Fierce Assault) no longer true combos into 2in1’d special moves from it.
After reading this for the first time, I wanted to do this:

Then I ALMOST did this:

But I just ended up doing this:

Seriously, this is stupid. My rushdown character not being able to rushdown my opponent with a consistent blockstring = WTF???

• Sonya's 3,1,4 (Beat Up) no longer true combos into 2in1’d special moves from it.
What? They've made 314 COMPLETELY uncancellable just to prevent a brainless infinite while all they needed to do was to reduce the hitstun frames of the last hit, destroying the only viable WallCombo she had???

LAME.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
I don't think you see why this is so great for Raiden, the 2 frames added to his recovery do almost nothing and the Ex tele is now the best tool for mind games i can think of because i now have people so scared of that tele they stay blocking considering more often then not i will get a full combo off of an Ex tele.
Oh well i heard that these 2 frames will make a drastic change to his tele. Regarding the Ex tele i believe that Raiden will flash and we will be able to spot the dropping bar before taking any action. I still have Raiden easier MU then SZ and now with increased freeze time its going to be really tough.

in case you didn't know:
1) people pick smoke
2) run away
3) hold parry so you can't use projectiles, not even low or ex ones
4) if you dash towards them they let go and either run more or use one of his special attacks because the parry has almost no recovery
if he holds the ex parry all you get is a measly sweep unless your character has a special that doesn't touch him.

i'm not impressed with smoke being as cheap character. his parry is supposed to be a smart counter, not "handcuffing" the opponent.
it's nice they took out that other thing but i'm sure it was only possible with reptile and well reptile deserves that anyways lol
In case you didn't know,

If he does this, just walk at him until he's in the corner. Enjoy your free pressure.

Yes, you have to come to him. But doing that is pretty trivial since he has nothing to put in your way, and bomb doesn't even do chip.

Also, parry does have recovery, and the plain one is punishable by most of the cast.

A turtling smoke is not only not at all a balance problem, but it's not even effective.

If anything, I think high-level Raiden got better this patch while low-level Raiden got nerfed. His teleport is still going to be just as powerful in the hands of a smart player (2 frames? You realize that's 1/30 of a second?), and his ex teleport is going to become a super-awesome mind fuck. Props to NRS for taking Raiden's game up a notch while weeding out the scrubs.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
After reading this for the first time, I wanted to do this:

Then I ALMOST did this:

But I just ended up doing this:

Seriously, this is stupid. My rushdown character not being able to rushdown my opponent with a consistent blockstring = WTF???

What? They've made 314 COMPLETELY uncancellable just to prevent a brainless infinite while all they needed to do was to reduce the hitstun frames of the last hit, destroying the only viable WallCombo she had???

LAME.
Those changes, like JC losing his :r + :fk :fp xx Nut Punch or Ermac losing :bp :bp xx Lift, were done because they were glitches.

No complete strings should be able to true combo into a special move even when they make the opponent stagger a bit, only half strings can. On the other hand, complete strings that knockdown work because the special move juggles.

Test it for yourself with any character; some examples, Scorpion's :fp :fp :fp, Sektor's :fp :bp :bp, Kung Lao's :fp :fp :bp :fp. Now I reckon there are probably more of these buggy strings left untouched that should be fixed for consistency across the whole roster.

Poto2222

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015.
Those changes, like JC losing his :r + :fk :fp xx Nut Punch or Ermac losing :bp :bp xx Lift, were done because they were glitches.

No complete strings should be able to true combo into a special move even when they make the opponent stagger a bit, only half strings can. On the other hand, complete strings that knockdown work because the special move juggles.

Test it for yourself with any character; some examples, Scorpion's :fp :fp :fp, Sektor's :fp :bp :bp, Kung Lao's :fp :fp :bp :fp. Now I reckon there are probably more of these buggy strings left untouched that should be fixed for consistency across the whole roster.
You got me wrong, man.

I don't want a TRUE combo from those strings, I just want to be able to cancel the last hit into one of my Special Moves. You can cancel the last punch in Scorpion's :fp:fp:fp string into a spear, but since it's not a true combo your opponent is able to block the incoming spear without any problems.

This is the property NRS is removing from Sonya's :fp:fp:bk and :fk:fp:bk strings, making them just a pile of stinky useless crap.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
If anything, I think high-level Raiden got better this patch while low-level Raiden got nerfed. His teleport is still going to be just as powerful in the hands of a smart player (2 frames? You realize that's 1/30 of a second?), and his ex teleport is going to become a super-awesome mind fuck. Props to NRS for taking Raiden's game up a notch while weeding out the scrubs.
Sweet, more Raiden action on the way. You know what...if they would've really hit him with a nerff people will complain. I mean regardless of the change there always will be group of folks who wont like it. So NRS i guess did what they thought was right. If they fix the technical issues that covers the glitches and everything related then this patch may be considered the best so far imo. Though i order to really make such a statement we need to test everything at least for a week or two, and then it will be somewhat accurate.

Raiman

Noob
Oh well i heard that these 2 frames will make a drastic change to his tele. Regarding the Ex tele i believe that Raiden will flash and we will be able to spot the dropping bar before taking any action. I still have Raiden easier MU then SZ and now with increased freeze time its going to be really tough.
most of the time teleport gets punished by reads not reaction. if you try to read and punish then you'll eat combos, if you wait for the flash then by that time you'll know theres nothing you can do but block, witch allows raiden to continue pressure because it cant be interupted. now ex teleport has a purpose. i agree the top tier characters are staying top tier but they will require more thought than before like raiden lao and cyrax. now the only easy mode top tier is reptile

Husteen

Noob.
So? This is not a game changer for two reasons
1. So does most of the cast
2. She already has glow s

No

Enlighten me. Because as far as I know, none of her strings are safe unless canceled from a special attack. "invincibilty" on her staff attacks? Do you even play the character?
Sure lets "spam" a slow moving projectile with slow start up and long recovery. I can already feel Raiden mainers getting scared :bs:

U3 is a guaranteed hit on the beginning of the match? Lol. Making it duckable, cripples her mid range game. I have a good reason to be upset right now.
oh, i forgot to mention, her enhanced boomerangs return even if they're blocked! that equals enhanced boomerang>dash>dash>pressure because the opponent will remain blocking.
sorry, i didn't know you like complaining about jade without knowing anything about her. you're obviously right, i dreamt up all those jade facts i posted XD

lmao, oh this is funny. i recognize your gamertag, you're a spammer!

bazzinga.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
You got me wrong, man.

I don't want a TRUE combo from those strings, I just want to be able to cancel the last hit into one of my Special Moves. You can cancel the last punch in Scorpion's :fp:fp:fp string into a spear, but since it's not a true combo your opponent is able to block the incoming spear without any problems.

This is the property NRS is removing from Sonya's :fp:fp:bk and :fk:fp:bk strings, making them just a pile of stinky useless crap.
You still can cancel into special moves from those strings. That's what they mean by "no longer true combos into 2in1’d special moves from it". Those Sonya strings should work just like Scorpion's :fp :fp :fp

Husteen

Noob.
In case you didn't know,

If he does this, just walk at him until he's in the corner. Enjoy your free pressure.

Yes, you have to come to him. But doing that is pretty trivial since he has nothing to put in your way, and bomb doesn't even do chip.

Also, parry does have recovery, and the plain one is punishable by most of the cast.

A turtling smoke is not only not at all a balance problem, but it's not even effective.
his double teleport and smoke towards/away prevent him from being cornered. you know smoke is one of the hardest characters to keep cornered, right?

thank god smoke bomb doesn't cause chip, but it builds his meter, especially when i'm blocking it.

only a moron smoke would stand there and hold parry while i walk up to him. anyone smart would let go of the hold and do something else. nightwolf's reflect has recovery, smoke's parry has very very little.

i'm a sindel main so people often run to smoke once i pick my character and do this the whole match. just saying, even when i do win it's a long and boring fight. i thought that's what was being patched when they mentioned smoke's parry "handcuffing" the opponent.
i've been saying this for a long time but no one gets it: smoke's parry is meant to be a smart counter for people who are paying attention. it's not something to constantly activate. same with jade's glow but people will use them how they want, i suppose.

thank you for being hospitable, unlike others.

Past

Noob
oh, i forgot to mention, her enhanced boomerangs return even if they're blocked! that equals enhanced boomerang>dash>dash>pressure because the opponent will remain blocking.
sorry, i didn't know you like complaining about jade without knowing anything about her. you're obviously right, i dreamt up all those jade facts i posted XD

lmao, oh this is funny. i recognize your gamertag, you're a spammer!

bazzinga.
REO stated that the opponent can jump before the return hit. Which also means that the opponent can also uppercut or use armor moves and win the potential trade. The return hit on en straight and EN high also causes massive pushback so the potential for pressure is limited. EN low has too much recovery. You would know this if you actually played the character. I'm still waiting for proof on these "facts" you stated. She does not have invincibility during her staff moves period. U3 is not free at the beginning of the match or at any point of the round. U3 whiffs often when an opponent is jumping forward leaving her open for free jip combos. Not only that but the move can punished easily on block with fast specials like electric fly.

Spammer? I don't remember you at all.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
MoonSpell said:
Kabal could be #1 if he had block inf. At this moment average player know how to poke out of NDC (even uppercut) so its not as it use to be 2 months ago where people were blocking and Kabal could drain 20-30% on block. People got pretty good fuzzy guard as well, so his 50/50 is almost useless - unless you play a scrub.
Kabal's 50/50 mix ups are irrelevant to his tier rank. You have to understand that very, very few characters in this game have "pure" 50/50 mix ups as almost all are fuzzy guardable. This game revolves more around safe, hit-confirmable strings that lead to combos, and Kabal has many of such strings. All of Kabal's strings are basically used as bait to get you to jump or attack at the wrong time, so that you get juggled. Kabal also has one of the most spammable projectiles in the game. He is really a character who has everything. He is just somewhat limited by execution unlike a character like Raiden, for example.

On paper, this game looks really balanced now. I would also include Liu Kang, Nightwolf, Mileena, and a couple of other characters in the top 10.

input bug still in
It's bugs like these that keep the competitive community from further adopting this game. How does NRS expect this game to be accepted as a "tournament worthy game" when they don't fix bugs like the Input Glitch? Problems like these violates the basic expectation of having full control of your character at all times. With the importance of low pokes in this game, I'm sick of getting standing moves when I clearly imputed the motion for a low poke. Personally, I would have had a party if they had just fixed that for the patch.

Shoutouts to NRS for trying, though. I still love this game over Marvel and SF4.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I don't think anybody who was born ater 1990 knows who Jack Burton is. Even though they fucking should