NRS Speaks and Confirms MK11 is Officially Done

What is your opinion on this news?

• Good news to me

• Bad news to me

• I'm indifferent / doesn't affect me either way

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member 66057

If you win in MK11 you’ve earned it. If you lose in MK11 you’ve earned that too. Game is as fair as any other.
Lol I say this in the nicest way possible. What a load of shit. Let’s be intellectually honest. There’s nothing fair about fatal blows, break away, flawless block on hit, wake up forward roll or any of the other aforementioned nonsense used to circumvent the mechanics of fighting games. Have you played other nrs titles, killer instinct, street fighter? Seriously?

happy to play sometime

Last edited by a moderator:

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
So, one day they change their mind and decide to allow kustoms in kompetitive. That's awesome, but the game wasn't designed to support that switch, so to make the switch with no serious adjustments seems like they kind of half-assed it.
I actually think it's a bit worse and goes one level deeper. To me (and to many other leading up to the game's release), it seemed as though the game was designed specifically for custom variations, but due to time/crunch, they were unable to fully implement that system and had to instead attempt to balance the game around preset variations. As a result, the custom moves were never properly balanced and the preset variations never felt fully realized either. Then they opened up customs without balancing them, and we got incomplete custom moves slapped onto a base that was haphazardly rushed and forced to fit preset variations.

The fact that they just dipped out and moved on is pretty hilarious though. I don't think one last patch would fix the game, but it would have been the decent thing to do.

D

Deleted member 66057

Doesn't come across that nice at all.

There's a difference between not liking how a mechanic works, and whether that mechanic is fair/unfair.
… I don’t like it because it is unfair.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Unfair implies you are and a disadvantage via a difference of power. That you have a taller mountain to climb than the other guy.

Nobody took away your fatal blows, your forward rolls or any of that other stuff. Nobody is telling you what character to play or what moves to pick. Nobody is even telling you or anyone else they need to play the game.

If you are on a level playing field, then unfair is the wrong word. You just don't like the view.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
The core mechanics of the game though are those of someone seemingly upset at the idea of losing fair and square. So we have things like universal wakeup smoke towards (sorry wake up forward roll), fatal blow pushback, and break away punishes. It's like when Sakurai gets upset when Smash is called anything other than a party game... it's almost like they consulted him. I do agree with you that I think the roster is fairly balanced compared to other fighters... the fundamental mechanics of the game are just such a slap in the face to anyone who takes fighting games seriously it's a tough pill to swallow. I've been playing it again the last 2 days and it's really hard to go from MKX to this. It's more of an exercise in patience than the fast paced chess experience of other fighters.
I've got to disagree here. There are plenty of ways to read, bait, and punish wake-up rolls. There are very few things more satisfying than making that read and punishing accordingly. If your opponent reads that you're going to press buttons and they roll and punish, that's not an issue with the game, that's just you getting punished for getting too aggressive, impatient, or greedy. I have no issue with wakeup rolls.

Fatal Blows are one of my least favorite aspects of the game, but not because of pushback, since most can still be easily punished if you just lab the blockstun and what strings will reach. My issue with them is how they come back once wasted and how some of them just utterly shut down the match. Once Kabal, Erron, Frost, Cetrion, and a few others gain access to their Fatal Blow, you really can't press a button. And there are a few, like Erron's, that are almost impossible to punish, even on whiff. I go into these fights just assuming I'm already missing 35% of my health, because at some point during the match you are going to get hit.

Fatal Blows also create a greater disparity between the high-damage and low-damage characters. Kabal, Sub, Lao, and others can easily kill you before you ever gain access to your Fatal Blow, since they can regularly dish out 45%+ and some have excellent armor breakers. Meanwhile, the lower-damage characters are almost always going to deal with their opponents' Fatals since it's difficult for them to break 30%. When people talk about game balance, I feel like this is a concrete example of a universal mechanic that unbalances the game due to how much it helps the already-strong characters and hurts the weaker characters.

I am in full agreement on the breakaway system. We didn't need them to add armor-breaking moves to deal with breakaway, we just needed them to add a bit more recovery after breaking to reset the neutral and prevent the aggressor from being punished for hitting their opponent. I almost exclusively play RoboCop, so I'm not sure about other characters, but I literally can't go for kombos if my opponent has meter, and they almost always have meter because they have no reason to break. Out of all the issues with the game, I feel like this is the most indefensible.

Despite all that, I've been playing it more lately and I've been having an absolute blast. It sounds like a lot of people are trying to play it like they play MKX or Street Fighter or Guilty Gear or Killer Instict, but that's not how you play MK11; you have to play MK11 as its own game on its own terms. You have to understand the pros and cons, its flaws and quirks, and play around them. Does Robo/Kabal feel borderline unwinnable? Sure. Does a lot of the stuff in the game seem unfair? Sure. But fair is boring, fair gets stagnant, and it's overcoming these issues and obstacles that leads to the greatest satisfaction. I get bored beating up on Baraka, Sheeva, Sonya, and others. But man does it get my heart pumping when I'm up against a solid Air-Gas Kabal and I'm landing my flawless blocks and playing out of my mind and taking games.

Phew, it's 7:53am and I just woke up, so sorry for the rambly post. I suppose all this is to say that support is done and this is the game we are left with, so there is no longer a point in complaining about these issues. If you don't like the game, it's not going to change, so best to stick with MKX or another game you enjoy. But, I think if you can change your outlook ("you" as in the reader of this post, not specifically AgentKurtz), you can find immense enjoyment. Just stay away from Kombot League lol.

Wigy

There it is...
You can say balancing a FG is hard and you're right but there is blatant nonsense thats been lingering forever that isnt some nuanced difficult choice. There are abilities that are straight up useless and have been since day 1. Hitboxes are a shitshow. Antiairs are a shitshow. Oki is a shitshow. Customs left in pre-alpha. Fatal blows a complete shitshow.

The game is more balanced yes. Its easier to balance a game when you absolutely neuter and homogenonise everything.

If you enjoy the game im happy for you but I feel a lot of players share my feelings. It seems the vocal casual gamerbase hates this game and a large section of the competitive doesnt care for it either.

I think this will spell doom for NRS if they continue this watered down- no communication and barely any support for the game unless they can monetise it.

My 2 cents

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
To me unfair would be something like Player 1 being granted more health, or meter, or always winning all trades, or something like that.

Fatal Blows have their pro's and con's when it comes to how it affects gameplay, but I consider it a fair mechanic. Most are punishable if just used raw, both players have them, and at most it only affects 1 round.

Same thing with Breakaway. At most it can only be used 2-3 times per round, and most characters have ways to counter it. Use an armor breaker, bait the breakaway and go for a D2, or find a combo that deals unbreakable damage. And both players have access to it. If you choose to go for a combo that the opponent can breakaway and punish then you can also breakaway from their combo. Also, just to make things specific, You play TW Raiden, right? He can easily deal with breakaway no problem.

MK11 has a lot more defensive options, which means when you're on offense you have a lot more choices to make, and fewer guaranteed situations. It's different than games like MKX or MK9, but I don't think that makes MK11 bad. Personally I really like MK11, but it's not for everyone.

D

Deleted member 66057

Game was apparently the 15th highest selling game in the US last month. Highest selling MK game to date. Doesn't happen if casuals hate the game
I’m getting my mba now and literally reading brand awareness as we speak. I could be wrong but I think brand awareness is at all time high for mk compared to where it was in 2015 with mkx. We’ve had two animated releases, a live action release, tons of pop culture references, the game is easier and more accessible than mkx. It certainly makes sense that it’s selling like cold water in hell.

I don’t know what the casual opinion is of the game but if I’d have to guess I’d say it’s favorable. I’d consider very few people on this site casuals to be honest. I think the major concerns and frustrations come from experienced players.

D

Deleted member 66057

To me unfair would be something like Player 1 being granted more health, or meter, or always winning all trades, or something like that.

Fatal Blows have their pro's and con's when it comes to how it affects gameplay, but I consider it a fair mechanic. Most are punishable if just used raw, both players have them, and at most it only affects 1 round.

Same thing with Breakaway. At most it can only be used 2-3 times per round, and most characters have ways to counter it. Use an armor breaker, bait the breakaway and go for a D2, or find a combo that deals unbreakable damage. And both players have access to it. If you choose to go for a combo that the opponent can breakaway and punish then you can also breakaway from their combo. Also, just to make things specific, You play TW Raiden, right? He can easily deal with breakaway no problem.

MK11 has a lot more defensive options, which means when you're on offense you have a lot more choices to make, and fewer guaranteed situations. It's different than games like MKX or MK9, but I don't think that makes MK11 bad. Personally I really like MK11, but it's not for everyone.
Bro... Noob Saibot and Erron Black can stand full screen and mash the triggers, go completely unpunished against the bulk of the cast, wait 10 seconds and do the same thing again.

I'm really sorry you feel so emotionally attached to a game that is absolute objective excrement. Some people may find this to be subjectively fun. That doesn't take away from the fun you're having. Some people enjoy the feeling of nausea as well. I just will not entertain the notion of this being a good or well designed game. We can have differing opinions about how enjoyable it is, and I'm even happy to run a set with you to show you no hard feelings, but hardly any thought or effort was put into this mess short of making it look appealing.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
I think this will spell doom for NRS if they continue this watered down- no communication and barely any support for the game unless they can monetise it.
This is my #1 concern moving forward. NRS literally set the standard for communication, hype, and showing stuff off cool stuff in the modern fighting game era via Injustice 1, MKX, and Injustice 2. Then MK11 comes along with the hypest of hype shit via the announcement trailer, invite-only event with a tournament, character trailers, etc.; but it then proceeded to IMMEDIATELY fizzle out into nothing. COVID concerns and the cracking down on crunch culture obviously caused a fuckton of issues (especially combined with the behind the scenes dealings of WB Games' upcoming death and NRS sell off), but hot damn did NRS just sorta.. vanish entirely. Then give some DLC. Then vanish. Then give some DLC. Then get a random little patch to gut Sheeva. Then vanish. Then confirm the game is done via a tweet.

I really do hope the chaos has settled down for the NRS team and they can more comfortably work on future endeavors, but I also am holding them to a much higher expectation on hype and communication moving forward because of what was delivered throughout MK11's lifespan. Arc Sys and fucking CAPCOM OF ALL DEVELOPERS have become the top notch communicators since MK11 started.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm really sorry you feel so emotionally attached to a game that is absolute objective excrement. Some people may find this to be subjectively fun. That doesn't take away from the fun you're having. Some people enjoy the feeling of nausea as well. I just will not entertain the notion of this being a good or well designed game. We can have differing opinions about how enjoyable it is, and I'm even happy to run a set with you to show you no hard feelings, but hardly any thought or effort was put into this mess short of making it look appealing.
This kind of negative talk is not welcome on TYM. You can hate the game all you want, but you may not shit on other users' enjoyment of the game. Since joining TYM, all you have done is complain. Literally, I'm curious if you can show me a comment you have made that hasn't directly or indirectly been a complaint about the game.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but support for the game is done. Your complaints will only have one effect, and that's to annoy the members of this community who do enjoy the game. No amount of complaining is going to achieve anything whatsoever. So, you have three choices: Either you can change your attitude and try to find some enjoyment in the game or you can move on to a game you do enjoy. The third choice is to continue this nonstop shitting on our users who do enjoy the game, but that choice will lead to a permanent ban from our community. I genuinely hope you choose one of the first two.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
@AgentKurtz @RoboCop

No hard feelings given, no hard feelings taken. We’re cool.

At this point MK11 is what it is. If people enjoy it, great. If not there’s a lot of fun to be had going back and enjoying past games.

D

Deleted member 66057

This kind of negative talk is not welcome on TYM. You can hate the game all you want, but you may not shit on other users' enjoyment of the game. Since joining TYM, all you have done is complain. Literally, I'm curious if you can show me a comment you have made that hasn't directly or indirectly been a complaint about the game.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but support for the game is done. Your complaints will only have one effect, and that's to annoy the members of this community who do enjoy the game. No amount of complaining is going to achieve anything whatsoever. So, you have three choices: Either you can change your attitude and try to find some enjoyment in the game or you can move on to a game you do enjoy. The third choice is to continue this nonstop shitting on our users who do enjoy the game, but that choice will lead to a permanent ban from our community. I genuinely hope you choose one of the first two.

I've actually received nothing but support for my comments with the exception of Marlow if you take a look. I was very careful with my choice of words not to insult or offend him. I don't participate in name calling. But if you're going to enforce an environment taken out of the REO play book, then this is not the site for me. I actually thought I was farely respectful and have said only positive things about MKX.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I've actually received nothing but support for my comments with the exception of Marlow if take a look. I was very careful with my choice of words not to insult or offend him. I don't participate in name calling. But if you're going to enforce an environment taken out of the REO play book, then this is not the site for me. I actually thought I was farely respectful and have said only positive things about MKX.
Your tone has not been respectful. You are free to dislike the game all you want, but you may not insult our users who do like the game. But this is not an argument I'm going to have. If you can't tell the difference between respectful and disrespectful criticism of the game, then you are probably correct that this is not the community for you.

D

Deleted member 66057

Your tone has not been respectful. You are free to dislike the game all you want, but you may not insult our users who do like the game. But this is not an argument I'm going to have. If you can't tell the difference between respectful and disrespectful criticism of the game, then you are probably correct that this is not the community for you.
Where did I insult him? That's not the case here sir. I do think MK 11 is bad, but I did not insult him.

D

Deleted member 66057

Where did I insult him? That's not the case here sir. I do think MK 11 is bad, but I did not insult him. It's well known how PC this site is and I'm willing to play by the rules. But I didn't insult anyone.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Where did I insult him? That's not the case here sir. I do think MK 11 is bad, but I did not insult him.
In this instance, you are insulting their taste in the game, rather than expressing your own discontent with the game.

"I'm really sorry you feel so emotionally attached to a game that is absolute objective excrement. Some people may find this to be subjectively fun. That doesn't take away from the fun you're having. Some people enjoy the feeling of nausea as well."

If you read what you're about to post, and it's only negative, with no merit to any of our users, it's probably a good idea to just keep it to yourself because, honestly, nobody cares at this point. We've heard every complaint one could possibly make about this game. It ain't changing, so either suck it up and try to find enjoyment, or move on to something else.

I'm now off to enjoy my Friday night. I hope you can see where I'm coming from and we can move on, no harm no foul. But, like I said, I'll have to take action on any comments like I've described. All I ask is that you not be a dick to the other users. Enjoy your night.

@Marlow I do think your general thought process on the game's mechanics, i.e. Krushing Blows, Breakways, wake ups, etc. is really spot on. That they're very strategic, and well thought out design concepts that make both players' decision making more meaningful, but that all these concepts were, sadly, not executed well in the actual game.

I really think that's spot on for reasons I've mentioned before.

Some people enjoy the feeling of nausea as well. I just will not entertain the notion of this being a good or well designed game.
In all fairness, telling someone that others enjoy the feeling of nausea is, absolutely, an insult. You're belittling the poster and his opinion, and then go on to state that your opinion, which is subjective, is superior.

That's different than just disagreeing.

D

Deleted member 66057

In all fairness, telling someone that others enjoy the feeling of nausea is, absolutely, an insult. You're belittling the poster and his opinion, and then go on to state that your opinion, which is subjective, is superior.

That's different than just disagreeing.
It's a tongue and check joke, dude. I've outline all the various nauseating problems this game has in particular. I'll be more careful in the future. I've no problem with anyone on the site. I'm sure Marlow is a super chill dude. I'm a new member. Not trying to ruffle any feathers or belittle anyone. The default position is if you enjoy the game that's great.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
My issue with Fatal Blows is how half baked the idea seems to be. Why do some characters have extra utility and not others. I love that Joker and Johnny can cancel theirs, and how Jax gets max Heat when his lands. We needed more ideas like that. Erron being able to put his FB on cooldown to instantly reload his rifle, Kabal puts out a larger healing cloud etc. Just add some actual decision making to this mechanic. Make you actually think before you yolo it out.

Another thing I've always said about MK Supers is they need to have Super Flashes like every other fighting game, even Injustice. That would drastically reduce their viability as a "fuck it" tool