What's new

NRS development cycles and MK11 potential lifespan?

Predict the MK11 lifespan;

• 1 year

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 2 years

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • 3 years

Votes: 34 33.0%
  • 4 years

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • 5+ years

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters

kcd117

Noob
I think it can last 4+ years. I really don’t believe we’re getting another NRS game in the current gen. I think they’ll keep the game alive until the next gen comes out in 3 years or so and then release an Ultimate Edition with new content, support it for a last year and move on with the next project, which I think will be a FG, but a totally new IP.

portent

Noob
I think it can last 4+ years. I really don’t believe we’re getting another NRS game in the current gen. I think they’ll keep the game alive until the next gen comes out in 3 years or so and then release an Ultimate Edition with new content, support it for a last year and move on with the next project, which I think will be a FG, but a totally new IP.
"Can" and "Will" are entirely different entities.

3rd Strike lasted a decade. SF4 lasted nearly a decade. SF5 is already 3 years old and still getting (somewhat) supported.

1st, don't think for a SECOND that NRS isn't being held to a release schedule by WB. WB purchased MK and what would become NRS for a reason, and that is NOT to sit idly by and watch gameplay mature and grow. They purchased it to pump out popular games that would last 2 or so years and make millions of dollars in the process.

MK9 needed a single patch that would have helped the game break the 2yr mark. Out of all the games NRS has released, this is the game that could have seen major play for nearly 8-10 years in tournament had NRS not had a release schedule they need to adhere to.

Injustice 2 is probably their best game to date. It will never be MK, which is why I think it runs its course in 2 years, but Injustice 2 definitely could have made the 5yr mark with further support. Again, with WB likely imposing a release schedule, the game was destined to last only as long as MK11 wasn't out.

MK11 will last only as long as it takes for Injustice 3 to be released. The only way that MK11 lasts longer is if, like Capcom of old, they have to Fighting Game IP's out that they regularly support for a longer period of time. If they follow the SF/Marvel mold, then we can expect to see Injustice 3 in 2 years but MK11 continuing to get support for additional years after its INJ3 releases.

I respect NRS a ton. I'm glad they have WB backing them financially, I just wish they weren't bound by any rules that WB imposes on them.

Admiral_Agony

Weapon Design Engineer LMMFC
I genuinely hope and pray this game gets supported for at least 3 years with new content, patches, etc.

Had a blast with the beta, eagerly awaiting to try out what a few of my old mains are capable of in this one. I wish Ferra/Torr came back but I knew there was no way.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I want MK11 to be good enough for people to support at least 3 years. I mean, look at bum ass SFV. We all know that game sucks, but it gets constant support for its lifespan to continue. They're on their what.....4th year now?

I know NRS writes the roadmap to the 2 year cycle, but lets try our best with this one :)

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Damn, harsh lol. He can't even defend himself now.
I know! I'm feeling unexpectedly sympathetic.

Aside from the obsession with the whole SJW thing though, the one thing he said that really irked me was:

"If we get a 3rd world war we will have soldiers battling with dildos and womens with hairless armpit throwing laptops with wall of text to explain why fat girls are beautiful (oh wait, girls don't go to war...)".
Was.

Was feeling unexpectedly sympathetic. smh

Xelz

Go over there!
IMHO MK11 has the lifespan potential of SF4 or until MK12 releases so long as:
  • DLC and continuous NRS updates refresh the meta at least once a year
  • Injustice 3 game play differentiates very dramatically from MK11, like to the extent that MvC differentiates from SF
  • NRS continues to support MK11 pro tournaments after Injustice 3 launches
Otherwise, MK11's lifespan will end prematurely when Injustice 3 launches.

whats wrong with the 2 year lifecycle? i don't want to sound like an asshole but are nrs games even deep enough to live longer?

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
whats wrong with the 2 year lifecycle? i don't want to sound like an asshole but are nrs games even deep enough to live longer?
Absolutely. I will use Street Fighter as an example again, because its unfortunately the top fighting game now, when other games like Tekken 7 should take that spot. My point is, NRS always try to implement a good amount of depth in their games to last, however, I understand why they only last two years because of business. NRS makes their money quick and move on to the next project.

Thats why we as a community need to break that cycle ourselves and support the games we love. Uncle JBeezY has a feeling most of us here will love MK11. We should do our part to keep it alive and thriving because this scene deserves it.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Speaking just for MK11, absolutely.

Even without the variations the game's poke system, shimmies, and footsies has so much left to be discovered. That, Flawless Block ceiling, and all the oki and setups yet to be discovered for matchup specifics make this the deepest game that NRS has ever put on on paper at the very least.

Add in the fact that NRS plans to add new variations, special moves, and characters for years and, yeah, this game has the potential to last years.

MK11 could be making NRS money for way longer than 2 years. It'd only make sense for them to see that and not invest millions into another fighting game so quickly if this one has even close to the kind of sales-potential like MKX did.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Speaking just for MK11, absolutely.

Even without the variations the game's poke system, shimmies, and footsies has so much left to be discovered. That, Flawless Block ceiling, and all the oki and setups yet to be discovered for matchup specifics make this the deepest game that NRS has ever put on on paper at the very least.

Add in the fact that NRS plans to add new variations, special moves, and characters for years and, yeah, this game has the potential to last years.

MK11 could be making NRS money for way longer than 2 years. It'd only make sense for them to see that and not invest millions into another fighting game so quickly if this one has even close to the kind of sales-potential like MKX did.
Unfortunately, corporate greed is rarely so sensible. Often, it's not enough that something is making money. The question is: is it making as much money as anything else those devs could possibly be doing with their time right now, e.g. making a different game?

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
What I WANT? 5+ years. What I think will happen? 2-3 years, and hopefully by then you'll have changed that avatar cause it's creepy AF bro.
5 years is way too long to play the same fighting game. 2 years is perfect. Takes about 20 months of playing the game to start to get bored, and then boom then next one comes along just in time.

"Can" and "Will" are entirely different entities.

3rd Strike lasted a decade. SF4 lasted nearly a decade. SF5 is already 3 years old and still getting (somewhat) supported.

1st, don't think for a SECOND that NRS isn't being held to a release schedule by WB. WB purchased MK and what would become NRS for a reason, and that is NOT to sit idly by and watch gameplay mature and grow. They purchased it to pump out popular games that would last 2 or so years and make millions of dollars in the process.

MK9 needed a single patch that would have helped the game break the 2yr mark. Out of all the games NRS has released, this is the game that could have seen major play for nearly 8-10 years in tournament had NRS not had a release schedule they need to adhere to.

Injustice 2 is probably their best game to date. It will never be MK, which is why I think it runs its course in 2 years, but Injustice 2 definitely could have made the 5yr mark with further support. Again, with WB likely imposing a release schedule, the game was destined to last only as long as MK11 wasn't out.

MK11 will last only as long as it takes for Injustice 3 to be released. The only way that MK11 lasts longer is if, like Capcom of old, they have to Fighting Game IP's out that they regularly support for a longer period of time. If they follow the SF/Marvel mold, then we can expect to see Injustice 3 in 2 years but MK11 continuing to get support for additional years after its INJ3 releases.

I respect NRS a ton. I'm glad they have WB backing them financially, I just wish they weren't bound by any rules that WB imposes on them.
For me I'm going to be playing mk11 until mk12 comes out- I'm not a fan of injustice so I just skip them

I know I can't be the only one, but I just hope mk11 stays in tournaments after the next nrs game comes out

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
5 years is way too long to play the same fighting game. 2 years is perfect. Takes about 20 months of playing the game to start to get bored, and then boom then next one comes along just in time.
Tekken 7 is right up there with this being its 4th year I believe. NRS is the only Top Dev that does not keep their games alive longer. That needs to change.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Unfortunately, corporate greed is rarely so sensible. Often, it's not enough that something is making money. The question is: is it making as much money as anything else those devs could possibly be doing with their time right now, e.g. making a different game?
You're right, this is why I think that it makes sense that NRS's next title 2-3 years from now won't be a fighting game.

If it isn't a fighting game, it means that the new game won't conflict with wanting to continue to support MK11.
That means that MK11 could still be making money off DLC and more sales AND the new game will still be making it's own sales too. This is different from how it's been because once the new fighting game comes out 2 years later, continuing support for the older game creates a conflict.

As long as they keep a team on the fighting game side of things, boom, more $$$ for NRS and WB.

I'm really digging the Idea of having the game have that SFV formula with constant updates and support for a maximum of 3 years.

Perhaps this could end up with 40 something character roster.

Not forgetting that NRS would probably keep on pumping out skins and gear to keep existing characters fresh, so it's all good.