What's new

NORTHEAST CHAMPIONSHIP (NECXI) Dec 4th & 5th - PHILADELPHIA, PA - UMK3 & MKII

AC1984

Kaballin!
Hey dude, I'm glad that you two stayed and got the rest you needed. i would take only 10% of the credit for that...the other 90 goes to Dark Rob...it was his room :)....so thank you Rob!!!! David, Dookie it was awesome to hang out with you and play MK2...looking forward for more!!!

summoning

Noncompliance to ASTM F 899-12 Standard
btbb99 said:
thanks everyone!!! @ mike, nah i picked mileena very little last night, all the guys i played in the tourney have awesome raiden's and raiden can be the kryptonite for my mileena lol, so i had to watch out for that, summoning likes to counterpick whoever he plays, he won't pick until you pick first so i was extra glad i beat him. since me dook and gem are friends we worked it as fare as possible with me and dook rotating mil vs raiden fights, and me and gem picking whoever we wanted then switching characters the next fight, the whole thing was recorded so i'm sure they will be posted on the site soon, i'll have to ask schiess about that!
Finally got to post after a busy few weeks , the setup of MKII took hours and I had to beg that you guys could get some casuals in , i was burnt out with all the setup time completely utterly a waste of time

Gratz to you Btbb, and all you mkII guys , remember this we only got a few warmups in and there is NO LOVE WHATSOEVER for mkII in these tourneys we barely played for 2 hours ( remember i also play umk3 and KI if i had as much practice as you guys id do better) even them mk3 guys dont play mk2 , REO never even playing the game before came in 3rd , yes i Quote "he never played the game before" and gave everyone a run for the money...

and as for counterpicking .... for someone who played mileena every single match vs me in the first tourney ,and kang vs me in the 2nd obviously im going to counterpick

i think id rather play a counter picker vs a kang/mil player only vs me . if you are that good you should be able to beat me with anyone and not worry about who im going to pick :)
ill try to bring a better setup next time so we can play longer ,

summoning

dciguy01 said:
Yeah that counterpicking pisses me off. Unfortunately, it's all legal in these types of tourneys. Best thing to do is just go with your main and tear into the other player.
counterpicking? shouldnt be legal what ?? btbb played kang and mil vs me exclusively , you guys are funny, if your so good id be really easy to beat

i play lao vs your kang and clearly beat you , your not as good as btbb, nor am i , but revenge coming for you at wb i know you want to beat me , close last time but you played jax at the end :)

OJuggernaut0

Apprentice
dookie, I didn't know until later but you were in the same hotel room as I was with Dark_Rob, lol. I was the one with blonde hair and a hat on backwards. Someone mentioned to me you were there but never really specified which person you were.

btbb99

Apprentice
summoning said:
Finally got to post after a busy few weeks , the setup of MKII took hours and I had to beg that you guys could get some casuals in , i was burnt out with all the setup time completely utterly a waste of time

Gratz to you Btbb, and all you mkII guys , remember this we only got a few warmups in and there is NO LOVE WHATSOEVER for mkII in these tourneys we barely played for 2 hours ( remember i also play umk3 and KI if i had as much practice as you guys id do better) even them mk3 guys dont play mk2 , REO never even playing the game before came in 3rd , yes i Quote "he never played the game before" and gave everyone a run for the money...

and as for counterpicking .... for someone who played mileena every single match vs me in the first tourney ,and kang vs me in the 2nd obviously im going to counterpick

i think id rather play a counter picker vs a kang/mil player only vs me . if you are that good you should be able to beat me with anyone and not worry about who im going to pick :)
ill try to bring a better setup next time so we can play longer ,

summoning how is it possible that this kid reo "never played the game before" when i saw him pulling off 3 hit combos when he got the chance, he knew exact positioning to be in to do certain things, for instance he knew exactly where to stand so when somebody jumped he could do a standing hk, i was watching him closely because i didnt get the chance to play him, he played mileena very well, to well for somebody that "never played the game before" lol. but please understand that he is NOT NOWHERE NEAR THE PLAYER DAVID GEM AND DCIGUY ARE. the only reason he did as well as he did is because its only a best of 3 set until it gets to the finals. i will say again he played mileena very well but if you believe that he is anywhere near as good as those guys you are out of your mind, if reo played david gem random select on psn 50 matches (with a clean connection) i dont care how many times reo landed on mileena he would be lucky to win 6 or 7 fights. TRUST ME.......................

and as far as the counterpicking goes, yeah like u said at first, you should pick your best character and roll with him/her, but thats not what you were doing, u would always wait until i picked first, ALWAYS... and it was gettin quite annoying. i no who am picking at the next tournament against certain guys so i'm not even going to let this counterpicking stuff get to me anymore.

Dark_Rob

Champion
btbb99 said:
summoning how is it possible that this kid reo "never played the game before" when i saw him pulling off 3 hit combos when he got the chance, he knew exact positioning to be in to do certain things, for instance he knew exactly where to stand so when somebody jumped he could do a standing hk, i was watching him closely because i didnt get the chance to play him, he played mileena very well, to well for somebody that "never played the game before" lol. but please understand that he is NOT NOWHERE NEAR THE PLAYER DAVID GEM AND DCIGUY ARE. the only reason he did as well as he did is because its only a best of 3 set until it gets to the finals. i will say again he played mileena very well but if you believe that he is anywhere near as good as those guys you are out of your mind, if reo played david gem random select on psn 50 matches (with a clean connection) i dont care how many times reo landed on mileena he would be lucky to win 6 or 7 fights. TRUST ME.......................

and as far as the counterpicking goes, yeah like u said at first, you should pick your best character and roll with him/her, but thats not what you were doing, u would always wait until i picked first, ALWAYS... and it was gettin quite annoying. i no who am picking at the next tournament against certain guys so i'm not even going to let this counterpicking stuff get to me anymore.
I dont think Summoning meant that REO had NEVER played MK2 in his life, Im sure he has. But he doesnt play it regularly or competitively. However, I wouldnt say it was a fluke or luck that REO placed as high as he did either. REO is not your ordinary MK player. Dude is a monster at any MK game he chooses to be. In fact he adapts and improves faster than any other player Ive known. If he chose to become a monster at MK2, I have no doubt he could.
I dont think thats gonna happen though. UMK3 is his real love.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
summoning said:
counterpicking? shouldnt be legal what ?? btbb played kang and mil vs me exclusively , you guys are funny, if your so good id be really easy to beat

i play lao vs your kang and clearly beat you , your not as good as btbb, nor am i , but revenge coming for you at wb i know you want to beat me , close last time but you played jax at the end :)
Clearly beat me? You must not remember those casual matches afterward very well. We split those games right down the middle. Trust me, I've got a different strategy in mind for next time we meet up. That is, of course, assuming you make it past btbb.

Irrelevant point, but I never once stated I was a better player than btbb. In any event, I win my fair share of games against him when we play (though he wins more.)

OJuggernaut0

Apprentice
btbb99 said:

There's a lot of things similar in MK2 that there is in UMK3. Getting anti-air HK's is one of those things and is easy to do. The combo's are also similar for some characters. MK2 is like a dumbed down slow version of UMK3. So even though REO never played MK2 before, he already knew how to do some stuff based on his experience in UMK3.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Lead Moderator
REO is a freak of nature. Like Rob said, he just adapts and improves at not just fighting games, but anything he plays or does. I guarantee you if he liked SF4 enough to compete at it, he'd be placing at major tourneys within in a year, if that. You just cant hold him in regard as "some player" or a "learner, beginner" or anything like that. He is just............better than almost everyone....at everything. lol

summoning

dci: split down the middle you are funny, steve and simon were sitting right next to me was prolly 7-3 me out of 10 but whatever, and were clearly rooting against me with your classicmk posse btb in the videos that you filmed

btb. counterpicking ? are you seriously kidding me ? This is coming from a guy who played EVERY single match vs me with millena in the first tourney.....counterpicking is way better than playing MIL AND KANG all day.. its mk2 you play the TOP TIER CHARS, what else can i do but counterpick its better than your first showing of spamming sia's every single match , and then coming to play kang cause you know that first win you had was cheap as hell

you are scared to play me and lose to me even though you are better

and i quote i have asked REO after he did so well he said he never played the game before and all the mill shit he does is because he plays the same EXACT way in umk, which mill, is one of his mains....

you guys are all hilarious

you guys play one game and ONLINE only ... even if i come in 2nd -3rd-or 4th its pretty good for me who plays the game 1 or 2 times per month OFFLINE

btbb99

Apprentice
i wasn't trying to take anything away from reo, he played very good like i said. i just didn't like the way summoning was trying make it sound like he was on the same level in mk2 as david gem and dciguy and he "never played the game before" i didn't lose 1 series in the tournament, i beat david gem 4-0 in the finals. but david gem is still a better player then me. i no this because we play all the time on psn. i don't think the umk3 guys would like it if i praticed hard with kabal for short period of time, went to the tournament, got a couple wins, then came on here and said "look at how great i did against you guys and i never played the game before"... once again, reo played mileena very very well,he can compete with her in tournament play because he's a very smart player and mileena is top tier, but let's not lose sight of the fact that as of right now he has a long way to go to be on the level of david gem and dciguy in mk2.

btbb99

Apprentice
summoing i just read your post, you must be on serious drugs my friend, scared to play you? lmao, i guess you forgot all the times i dominated you, i'll remind you, lets start with online, i thought i was playing your buddy "mirrorthrone" but i was playing you, and i completely dominated you my friend, you only got 1 win from me in like 20 fights, and the only reason you won was because it was getting boring and i let up, ok now did forget the 2 tourneys i beat you in? i guess you did, you are nowhere near me level, THATS A FACT. the real mk2 competition on on psn and im glad to show you a little piece of what the guys on ther do to players like yourself. if you were to compete in a tournament on raw.com you would finish dead last, thats also a fact.

now the counterpicking, its not my fault i pick top tier by picking mileena, be a man and pick 1 character and stick to him/her, i was noticing you wanted to pick scorp against my mil, even tho i would have still been very confident in winning i no you were going to run away the whole time and i wasnt in the mood to chase, its just a real annoying matchup, thats why i was trying to avoid that but im not gonna let it get to me anymore, i will pick mil and do what i gotta do, i dont care who you pick,

Dark_Rob

Champion
btbb, Summoning, settle down fellas. You guys are welcome to discuss this further, but right now your both steering this in the direction of a flame war. You guys are both great players, and none of what your both getting so heated about matters, spamming, runaway,counterpicking, top tier picking, its all legal in a tournament. Both of you were playing to win and thats the right thing to do.
btbb, you won fair and square in a major tournament, that means your the best until someone can prove otherwise.
Summoning youve been running MK2 tournaments for a long time and winning them, now there is someone better than you. I would think after all the tourny wins under your belt you would welcome the challenge.

Dreamcatcher, they are right. Please stay out of the thread if you have nothing useful to add to it, thank you.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Final post for me in this thread.

Summoning, regarding me rooting against you in the video I posted. Btbb is my friend and of course I am going to root for him. I don't have anything against you personally, so don't try to make something out of nothing. I will see you at Winter Brawl. Good luck.

OJuggernaut0

Apprentice
I can't believe counterpicking is even an issue. You never hear people complaining about that in ANY game at tournaments, lol. Counterpicking is apart of fighters, get used to it fellas!

btbb99

Apprentice
my final post in this thread also, @summoning i really didn't want things to blow up the way they did, even though i didn't like that you waited for me to pick my character first everytime, i now understand anything goes in tourney's and i'm fine with it now, i hope we can put this behind us and move on. i hope to see you and everyone else at winterbrawl! also can you get back to me sometime and let me no if we are going to be playing mk2 on a projector because if not i will bring my 32 inch flat screen that we can play on, i am going to bring my surround sound too so mk2 will be looking and sounding sweet as can be!

@dark rob, your a cool dude and i appreciate you telling dreamcatcher to mind his own business, i thought everybody was going to jump on me and summoning after that post, hope to see you at winterbrawl!

summoning

its all good guys the people who know me know i dont flame or start any wars, i simply came in here when i saw posts about beating me and counterpicking its obviously something people who play never play offline would say....

ONLINE means zero i dont care how i would finish online last or dead last , online to at least me means zero thats why i dont even login onlne

I never said at all that i was better than BTB but i have to come on and comment when i read something as stupid as getting mad for counterpicking

ill be at WB of course

OJuggernaut0

Apprentice
To prevent counterpicking, SSF4 tournaments go by the rules if you win you have to use the same character, loser can pick who ever he wants. I think MK2 and UMK3 should use this rule as well.

Dark_Rob

Champion
OJuggernaut0 said:
To prevent counterpicking, SSF4 tournaments go by the rules if you win you have to use the same character, loser can pick who ever he wants. I think MK2 and UMK3 should use this rule as well.
Its been talked about but weve never reached a consensus about it. Counterpicking is part of the game and somehow it seems a little wrong to create a rule to limit/prevent it. Though I agree the way they do it in SSF4 seems the most fair way to do it if we were going to do it.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Dark_Rob said:
Dreamcatcher, they are right. Please stay out of the thread if you have nothing useful to add to it, thank you.
No problem. Thanks for asking nicely.

I don't like counterpicking. That's pretty much all I have to say about it I guess.

Shock

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
O.G.
I agree on some level that winner should stay with their character in tournaments until they lose, but that's never been a rule of arcade MK games, and we play the games by arcade rules. I have repicked before in tournaments myself but never as a counter because almost always the other person never changes their character against me, no matter which character I use. For me, it's about variety, as I understand it probably is for some of you. However, when you're playing in a tournament for money, and you pick your character first, under the rules where you can change your character, expect to get counter picked. The issue of repicks has come up more and more, and I talked to Phil about it at great length. We have yet to come up with a solid solution, other than if the winner wants to change characters, they must select first to allow the losing player the chance to counter pick, which they fully have the right to do if they lose, in any game. If they only play one character, it doesn't matter, except it can be argued that they should have the chance to play against a winning character until they lose the set, or can adapt. The only thing repicking does is possibly expose who has more or less range in the game in general, or the limitations of someone who can only use one character.

For now, I suggest if you want to avoid being counter picked, don't pick first, and honor the unwritten rule of no repicks until you lose anyway. No one should be complaining about being counter picked in a tournament, that's basically saying "I want to use this character just to use them, and it's not fair if you pick a character I will have difficulty with." That's why there are tiers, players have mains, and there are rock paper scissors factors for characters. If the first match of a UMK3 tournament I'm in, the person runs to Kabal, I know what characters I should use against him, even if they aren't my personal best, and I will pick those characters. Beyond that, if I won the first match, and picked another character to keep the Kabal player guessing, that might be considered unfair, since they wouldn't have the chance to beat my first character with him if they wanted to try again, but that's the rules we've used for 9 years now, and only in 2010, when the competition has stabilized at a legitimate level, has this issue come up, so maybe it's time for it to come up. Banning things has only come up this year as well for UMK3, and the game's 15 years old.

Otherwise, all I have to say is, don't make me resurrect my MKII skills for Winter Brawl.

OJuggernaut0

Apprentice
Personally, I think ALL MK tournaments should use the rule "Winner stays with same character, Loser can switch". It just prevents a lot of things beforehand. That's just my opinion though.