What's new

Noob Sailboat needs help

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
As @M2Dave Said the character is lower mid. I strictly play Noob and have over 1000 matches played with him so far, mostly great long sets against good players, not online random scrubs.

You have to really have your spacing on point. Just tonight I played long sets against Kano, Johnny, and Liu and had to be critical of when to throw out B1, B3, and B2. If I fucked up, I'm eating combos. Not to mention Noobs zoning is straight up dumpster fire filled with diapers TRASH

Yeah he has great damage, but he needs it. Whe. I played good with him and hit my B2 and B3/B1 I felt like a God. But when I was cornered like a rat, I felt there wasnt anythibg I could do.

Dante

Noob
As @M2Dave Said the character is lower mid. I strictly play Noob and have over 1000 matches played with him so far, mostly great long sets against good players, not online random scrubs.

You have to really have your spacing on point. Just tonight I played long sets against Kano, Johnny, and Liu and had to be critical of when to throw out B1, B3, and B2. If I fucked up, I'm eating combos. Not to mention Noobs zoning is straight up dumpster fire filled with diapers TRASH

Yeah he has great damage, but he needs it. Whe. I played good with him and hit my B2 and B3/B1 I felt like a God. But when I was cornered like a rat, I felt there wasnt anythibg I could do.
Would you agree with my pov?
Making b11+3 cancellable on block and either db4 being mid or bf2 being safer (more pushback maybe) could be enough to not feelsbadman :p

llabslb

R1D1_998
Don’t act all high and mighty like you wanna have a constructive discussion when you’re ignoring people like @gam224 , @EMPRESS_SunFire and @Elias6999 who all actually tried to answer your concerns.
In fairness they all practically said the same thing. I just want to make it clear, there are a lot of things I think are cheap, 50/50d etc are definitely one of those things. Why I mention them is because many characters have them. Don't you think it will be a huge inconvenience to adjust all those characters even though it is the right thing to do balance wise? I wholeheartedly agree with M2dave too.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
I don't think he needs any 50/50s. That would push him even further away from what he was intended to be but I do think he could use some help with his zoning game, if he is indeed meant to be a "zoner" as the NRS streams indicated. I suppose it would be nice to have a built in overhead that isn't a hop attack but I think we can live without one, as someone else pointed out... you can kinda open people up who are blocking too much with his excellent throw game.

If there's one thing I know will get changed in the future, it's his Krushing Blow requirements. The tech throw ones are fine and I think those will remain untouched but the 10 Clones requirement definitely needs some sort of rework. If the hit-box on Upknee wasn't ass, I think it would be much better but as is, I just don't think anyone is getting that Krushing Blow "naturally" as they initially claimed.

Then again, I'm not going to pretend like I'm some genius that fully understands what would balance this character and the game correctly. I honestly don't know.

Kanalratte

aka FROSTIE
no 50/50's plz Sub Zero is already enough online, he's still in MKX. as many mentioned noob's KB need to be fixed. he is imo a good character. if they nerf the high tiers he will be in a good spot.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Alright I think it's clear at this point that our boi Nob Saibot isn't very good, it would be a very serious overstatement to even call him viable.

Character has no 50/50s, below average zoning and below average space control. Practically nothing. He doesn't even have any BF1 set ups for the seeing ass variation. NRS please help this joke of a character!
What's wrong with noob exactly?

He's not a zoner, so ignore his Seeing Double variation. He a punishment character that also capitalizes off of good neutral play. B1 is good midrange, b3 is also good, f4 people have a hard time seeing it coming, d3 and d4 give great advantage on hit that can lead into some good throw set ups or continuing pressure, d1 provides enough advantage on hit where if the opponent where to mash afterwards we can land a 1,1,3 combo starter, he has great damage midscreen, amazing damage in the corner, and he can end combos with b1, 1+3 xx spirit ball which restands the opponent and doesn't allow them to have access to their wake up tools.

Seriously, I'm having a hard time seeing a problem. If you mean he isn't Erron Black, Sonya Blade, Geras good, then I'd agree, but he doesn't need any help. Lab with him more and play more sets. Noob is a great character and NRS has done a bang up job with him in this game.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
Yeah, I played a lot today and I'm not sure really anything needs to be touched on Noob in the second patch. He's fine, especially considering there are a ton of characters that need a lot of help right now.

Maybe his requirements for the Krushing Blows could be re-worked but even that would probably screw something up.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Yeah, I played a lot today and I'm not sure really anything needs to be touched on Noob in the second patch. He's fine, especially considering there are a ton of characters that need a lot of help right now.

Maybe his requirements for the Krushing Blows could be re-worked but even that would probably screw something up.
The only thing that I can see that needs to be done is to make tackle usuable outside of combos by not having the clone dissapear when Noob gets hit, and to make shadow tackle a little faster. By doing this his krushing blow requirements on shadow tackle becomes more consistent.

I feel like Noob is lacking in the krushing blow department, but does he really need it? The man pushed 40% with 1 meter.

TheGlow

Retired Noob
Im not sure. More overheads would be nice. As is it I have insane difficulty comboing teleport after a b3. And on that note even b3, spirit ball is damn inconsistent. 112, F2212, 212, all start high and I'm eating a d1 half the time.
b1, 1+3 is nice but it seems I cant hit confirm the 1+3 so I have to enter these together and now some people are learning they can counter after that like Jacqui's dash punch.
However, yes, IF I land one of these and they dont breakaway, thats 35-40. I used to think no big deal but its so rare I get to land stuff on a good player by the time I get to land a 2nd combo they have both defensive bars back to breakaway again.
I like to use him but really thinking of switching to another character.
Even seeing some of the tournaments lately, Summit, etc. Theres some people using him, tend to do good first match or 2 until opponent gets a feel for them and they never open up.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
With how important whiff punishing is in this game, the amount of damage Noob can do with relatively long ranged starters makes more mixups absolutely unnecessary on him. You don't need mixups to succeed with this character. This ain't MKX anymore.
Anyone struggles against the top tiers, but if they get nerfed and Noob doesn't, he'll be among the most solid characters.

TheGlow

Retired Noob
With how important whiff punishing is in this game, the amount of damage Noob can do with relatively long ranged starters makes more mixups absolutely unnecessary on him. You don't need mixups to succeed with this character. This ain't MKX anymore.
Anyone struggles against the top tiers, but if they get nerfed and Noob doesn't, he'll be among the most solid characters.
I guess I just have horrible luck with people who spam d1 and throws. They spam combos, I hold block, get thrown. Dont hold block so throw will whiff, surprise, d1, d1, d1, d1. Go to block, throw.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I guess I just have horrible luck with people who spam d1 and throws. They spam combos, I hold block, get thrown. Dont hold block so throw will whiff, surprise, d1, d1, d1, d1. Go to block, throw.
When you block a d1 you have a small window to input your own d1 and fastest button. You have to learn this in practice mode.

Dante

Noob
All chars have a string like scorpion b143. That shit is mandatory. That's what we should be asking for imo. So it's either f2 a mid or b11+3 cancellable plus a safe special.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
So...

Honey Bee is either such a bad player that he could not win a series with a top 10 character at the Summit on day 2.

Or perhaps the character is not as good as some people think.
I don't believe a character with easy 400+ damage, normals that barely leave any hurtboxes, a ~10f mid that goes backwards, probably the best D3/D4 in the game, a great fatal blow etc is any lower than high mid.

I've been playing Nikolas's/Metzos's Noobs since day 1, and while Kotal personally gets absolutely destroyed in the MU, the char has a lot going for him in the footsie game.

edit: Also, GL having reasonable discussion that doesn't downplay the player's own char and upplay others on TYM, there's a post on the same page about having to be "careful" and "spacing being on point" with Noob's footsie tools against Kano and Johnny....

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I don't believe a character with easy 400+ damage, normals that barely leave any hurtboxes, a ~10f mid that goes backwards, probably the best D3/D4 in the game, a great fatal blow etc is any lower than high mid.
There are characters in this game who have everything you mentioned and more.

My point is if the character is top 10, nobody at the Summit made a believer out of me, not even Honey Bee, who everybody knows is a phenomenal player. Perhaps Combo Breaker will be a different story.

edit: Also, GL having reasonable discussion that doesn't downplay the player's own char and upplay others on TYM, there's a post on the same page about having to be "careful" and "spacing being on point" with Noob's footsie tools against Kano and Johnny....
My main characters are Scorpion and Erron Black. Downplaying either one of them would be foolish.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room

My point is if the character is top 10, nobody at the Summit made a believer out of me, not even Honey Bee, who everybody knows is a phenomenal player. Perhaps Combo Breaker will be a different story.

My main characters are Scorpion and Erron Black. Downplaying either one of them would be foolish.
I'm not saying you're downplaying, I'm saying that character forums are an echo chamber of "my character is bad" thoughts.

Noob is not a top 10 character but he isn't anywhere below high mid tier. The game is in its infancy still.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!

Noob is really strong Dave. You just need to be on point with your spacing and footsies. His down pokes are excellent. He has the best punishes in the game imo, his hurtbox is non existant and his control spacing is really good if you play him as a whiff punisher. His only issue imo is that his b3 and clone KB's conditions need a small rework.

Is he on the current top5's lvl? No. Is he outside of the top 5? For sure. Punishing something with 40% dmg off a S1 is not something everyone in the roster has. AAring with f3 to over 30% dmg into a restand is godlike.

P.S: I see no one is talking about his b2. Probably one of the best whiff punisher normals in the game, plus it can be used as an AA as well if you re not comfortable using f3 or up knee. Also lol at the people saying that his b3 1+3 needs to be canceled safely. Just do b3xxghostball and gg you are safe.

Besides the couple of issues with his KB's,Noob is fine atm.

Dante

Noob
Noob is really strong Dave. You just need to be on point with your spacing and footsies. His down pokes are excellent. He has the best punishes in the game imo, his hurtbox is non existant and his control spacing is really good if you play him as a whiff punisher. His only issue imo is that his b3 and clone KB's conditions need a small rework.

Is he on the current top5's lvl? No. Is he outside of the top 5? For sure. Punishing something with 40% dmg off a S1 is not something everyone in the roster has. AAring with f3 to over 30% dmg into a restand is godlike.

P.S: I see no one is talking about his b2. Probably one of the best whiff punisher normals in the game, plus it can be used as an AA as well if you re not comfortable using f3 or up knee. Also lol at the people saying that his b3 1+3 needs to be canceled safely. Just do b3xxghostball and gg you are safe.

b3 ghostball isnt safe bro
b3 into shit is commital as it should be. Talking about b11+3

M2Dave

Zoning Master

I agree with your point about the lack of hurtboxes. b+1,1+3 leads to lots of damage and a reset. However, a top tier character like Geras punishes b+1,1+3 for 31% the first time and 14% every other time. If Noob is afraid to do b+1,1+3, as Honey Bee and Waz were at the Summit, you remove one of the character's best tools out of the equation. b+2 and f+4 are very good normal attacks, but Noob is not killing you with them. They cannot be special canceled. They lead to nothing but full screen knockdowns, where you except Noob to have an advantage, yet he does not, which brings me to your comment about space control.

If by "really good space control" you are strictly referring to the mid range, I agree with you again. If you are referring to any other range, I disagree. Yesterday and today we saw Noob getting out-zoned by Geras and Sonya. I assure you Noob also gets out-zoned by Erron Black, Scorpion, Sub Zero, and possibly other characters. For an advertised "premier zoning character", Noob's zoning is severely lacking. So if I am playing Scorpion against Noob, for example, and I get hit by b+2 or f+4, I could not care less. I can block and easily react and punish everything Noob does. The teleport controls the pace of the match at this range. The same is true for Geras and the sand trap.

Before you decide to post "Those characters are top tier, though!", well, they are the most common characters in a competitive environment.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
b3 ghostball isnt safe bro
b3 into shit is commital as it should be. Talking about b11+3
B3 into ghostball when done at sweep range is safe against pretty much everyone. Up close ofc is not safe. I was referring to the distance b3 should be used not up close.