What's new

NKZero's Sektor Match-Up Chart

IKizzLE

BloodHound
Fair enough, I can still poke out after I block the up missile. They can only neutral duck the spin if they expect it, so I dont see why you could use it sparingly to get out of the up missile. If they neutral duck you can just stand up and f2 into slices or charge to get out of the corner as well. If you end with an F4 reset you can usually at least get one 2,2 1+2 string off, which can be canceled into slices for 75% of one bar of meter. That still leaves you on neutral frames but you can d3 afterward so that Sektor can at worst poke you before the d3 comes out. EX blade charge may take damage but it also pushes him towards the corner, which is in Baraka's favor. Plus Sektor has to respect you when you have meter because any missile can be EX blade charged on reaction.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one I believe. I personally believe it comes down to the better player and who makes more mistakes.

IKizzLE it is not a copout it is a percentage.
4-6=40% chance of winning
4.5-5.5=45% chance of winning
I dont know why this is so hard for people to understand
I feel like .5's should be in games that every character is close to one another and since we see nothing but counter picks now a days, these .5's need to turn into 6-4s and 7-3s. And why is MK the only fighting game that uses .5s for official matchup charts?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I feel like .5's should be in games that every character is close to one another and since we see nothing but counter picks now a days, these .5's need to turn into 6-4s and 7-3s. And why is MK the only fighting game that uses .5s for official matchup charts?
This is true only for 6.5-3.5's and 7.5-2.5's. There is a MAJOR difference between a 5.5-4.5 and a 6-4 matchup, at least the way I look at it.

To me 4-6=a disadvantage and a 4.5-5.5= a slight disadvantage. There is certainly a difference between the two. And Mk does pretty much everything differently because we are WAY different than other fighting games.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Fair enough, I can still poke out after I block the up missile. They can only neutral duck the spin if they expect it, so I dont see why you could use it sparingly to get out of the up missile. If they neutral duck you can just stand up and f2 into slices or charge to get out of the corner as well. If you end with an F4 reset you can usually at least get one 2,2 1+2 string off, which can be canceled into slices for 75% of one bar of meter. That still leaves you on neutral frames but you can d3 afterward so that Sektor can at worst poke you before the d3 comes out. EX blade charge may take damage but it also pushes him towards the corner, which is in Baraka's favor. Plus Sektor has to respect you when you have meter because any missile can be EX blade charged on reaction.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one I believe. I personally believe it comes down to the better player and who makes more mistakes.

IKizzLE it is not a copout it is a percentage.
4-6=40% chance of winning
4.5-5.5=45% chance of winning
I dont know why this is so hard for people to understand
well any match comes down to who makes most mistakes really

i dont see how standing up then doing a 19 frame move is going to help much against sektor
u really shouldnt be getting 22 after f4 resets,there only +16 after two b31s midscreen.thats more your opp respecting you than a given
yes while ex charge can knock people into corner,thats only at certain parts the screen,if not them places then right back in the situation you were in less one meter

you very well could be right with it being 5-5 but with the amount of tools sektor has,id had to give me a slight adv

also agree with your musings on .5s

IKizzLE

BloodHound
Well, when i look at matchup charts, I look at what does each other character limit and what other available options does each character have.

First, kitana cannot zone.
Secondly, throwing out d1 against sektor is very risky because he is one of the few characters that can whiff punish it and put him in the range where he plays his game best.
Thirdly, a lot of kitana's most used moves get blown up the hardest by sektor. Cutter and the 21 overhead can both be full combo punished.

What kitana is left with are low pokes and f21. Which are still both good but for some reason its much easier to make the second hit to whiff on sektor than most characters. Idk if its because flamethrower and b1 puts me in that perfect range or his hitbox is wacky.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
m2dave, pretty much the same reasons why he loses to smoke. Limits Sektors zoning and antizoning. Glove toss and ground claw startup animation is too hard to discern so if you try to iTU on a read, you can eat the ground claw. If you try to iTU on reaction, you have time to block.

Zoning. Freddy obviously wins this.

So sektor pretty much has to play the same obstacle course game all the other characters who dont have a non hitting teleport has to play. But when he gets in, his pressure is no where like cage's or sonyas. And your teleport away is really good at laming out sektor. You will always have the life lead as well just based on the amount of chip damage.

Your nightmare stance is also a good way to continue to lame out sektor and make him whiff.
Sektor, who has great footsies, cant use them against freddy which hurts him a lot. Within jump range(right outside of sweep distance) is sektors comfort zone. I can throw out flamethrower, f2, b1, etc. NMS evades all of them except flame thrower, which is miniscule cuz you will be pushed right outside the range sektor needs you to be and right in the range where you can start doing ground claw and toss shenanigans.
I have to admit that those are some very good arguments. But I still think iTU is a big threat when used sparingly. Freddy players have to respect the move , even when the Sektor player is not using it.

I did tell you a while ago that trying to react to glove toss and spikes with iTU is very difficult. Nonetheless, Sektor has more freedom to dash and jump around than other characters do because iTU leads to an easy 44% juggle with one bar of super meter while spikes barely deal 15%. Sektor has the advantage in the damage department if the player is able to make a few correct reads. That is why Sektor's iTU has to be respected despite the difficulty involved in reacting to Freddy's projectiles.

I agree that Sektor's offense is lacking, but at least standing jab always hits a crouching Freddy and you never have to worry about b+3,4 whiffing.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
so nobody thinks sektor loses to cage even in the very slightest?

Death

Noob
Here is my revised chart.

Scorpion: 6-4
Sub-Zero: 6-4
Reptile: 5-5
Ermac: 5-5
Noob: 5-5
Smoke: 4-6
Rain: 5-5
Mileena:4-6
Kitana:6-4
Jade: 5-5
Skarlett: 5-5
Cyrax: 5-5
Cyber: 5-5
Kenshi: 4-6
Freddy: 4-6
Sindel: 5-5
Sonya:4-6
Jax: 6-4
Cage:5-5
Stryker:5-5
Liu Kang: 5-5
KL:5-5
Kano:6-4
NW:5-5
Kabal:4-6
Baraka:5-5
Shang:5-5
Quan:5-5
Raiden:5-5
Sheeva:7-3

Sektor is the most balanced character in the game. Great tools and footsies. No armor and has whiffing problems.
Nothing cheap, and nothing that can completely expose him. Same number of good matches that he has bad matchups.

He is no higher than 10th and no lower than 15th in the overall tier list.

AND PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP THE .5 SHIT. ITS A COP OUT!!!!

And my baraka experience has come from Permodius AKA RM_LikeMike.
I think Mileena/Sektor is even. Its tough to fight Sektor when he rushes you down and blows up everything Mileena does. Mileena also doesn't have an answer for flame thrower. But a zoning Sektor will get blown up by Mileena and Mileena cant zone sektor either cuz of ITU. Sektor can punish Mileena hard for her telekick/ball roll.

Also, Sub-Sektor has to be even. Sub has real good options vs Sektor.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Baraka: 5-5
Cyber Sub Zero: 5-5
Cyrax: 5-5
Freddy: 5-5
Jade: 5-5
Jax: 5-5
Johnny Cage: 5-5
Kabal: 4-6
Kano: 6-4
Kenshi: 4-6
Kitana: 5-5
Kung Lao: 6-4
Liu Kang: 5-5
Mileena: 4-6
Nightwolf: 5-5
Noob Saibot: 5-5
Quan Chi: 6-4
Raiden: 5-5
Rain: 5-5
Reptile: 5-5
Scorpion: 6-4
Shang Tsung: 5-5
Sheeva: 7-3
Skarlet:5-5
Sindel: 5-5
Smoke: 3-7
Sonya: 4-6
Stryker: 5-5
Sub Zero: 5-5

here's my list. all of us have pretty similar results....

4 match ups that are 4/6 and 4 that are 6/4

1 that is 3/7 and 1 that is 7/3

the rest are 5/5

fair

and

balanced

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
Sektor definitely beats Jax.
You know why I think it's a 5/5?

You b34 whiffs on Jax unless buffered by a blocked d3. Why wouldn't you poke back after a d3... thus you can never make b34 not whiff. When it does whiff, Jax gets a full combo punish.

Same thing goes for jax's string as well... so I think they even out.

NKZero

Noob
Well this is the first time I've seen valuable debate regarding a match up chart lol. That's nice to see :). Anyways IKizzLE and SwiftTomHanks good lists! You both have Sheeva at 7-3 though...how come?

Also m2dave what's your take on Freddy? I maintain it's a 5-5 but kizzle says 4-6.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Also m2dave what's your take on Freddy? I maintain it's a 5-5 but kizzle says 4-6.
IKizzle makes some excellent points, but I'm not sure because there are hardly any serious Sektor players to test the match up in great detail. I'm thinking 5/5 at the moment. Trying to use iTU on reaction against gloves and spikes is very difficult. On the other hand, Sektor gets an easy 44% combo with one bar of meter. Freddy players have to respect that damage. However, if I were a Sektor player, I wouldn't base my gameplay on iTU. iTU should primarily be used as a "mental threat" to approach Freddy. If you get too greedy with iTU, you will lose.

There's also this occasional hitbox issue that happens with spike and iTU that favors Freddy. iTU can magically whiff when Freddy is in a complete crouching state while doing a spike.

NKZero

Noob
IKizzle makes some excellent points, but I'm not sure because there are hardly any serious Sektor players to test the match up in great detail. I'm thinking 5/5 at the moment. Trying to use iTU on reaction against gloves and spikes is very difficult. On the other hand, Sektor gets an easy 44% combo with one bar of meter. Freddy players have to respect that damage. However, if I were a Sektor player, I wouldn't base my gameplay on iTU. iTU should primarily be used as a "mental threat" to approach Freddy. If you get too greedy with iTU, you will lose.

There's also this occasional hitbox issue that happens with spike and iTU that favors Freddy. iTU can magically whiff when Freddy is in a complete crouching state while doing a spike.
what's the status with Freddy's hit-box vs Sektor's strings? That could mean something as well if Sektor has more pressure options at his disposal...

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
I think Freddy is at advantage in that match-up, to be completely honest.

At a range, Sektor is greatly neutralized because Freddy can abuse Ground Claw and stuff not only his projectile game, but any attempts at Teleport Uppercut. So Sektor obviously won't play the full screen game, but his life isn't all that much easier up close. The closer he gets, the harder it is to react to his projectile mixups. Sektor shines in footsies but people who are good at footsies win because the other person is trying to footsie. Freddy is hardly ever trying to do that. He's continuously trying to move backwards and Sektor doesn't want to keep throwing out advancing normals because they get whiff punished extremely hard, especially with a meter, and send him all the way back to full screen.

Additionally, the closer he gets the more likely a Teleport Uppercut attempt will get stuffed by a Glove Toss or Freddy Fingers. Once Sektor is in, yes, he does have a 6 frame jab that will hit Freddy but the problem is, Freddy has a few normals that will lower his hitbox and completely stuff Sektor's pressure. Freddy's uppercut is a good example of this. When Sektor dashes in for his jab, you can uppercut him and it'll stuff his jabs. If the Freddy player is good with anti airs, it'll make things really hard for an aggressive Sektor because he'll have to dash in.

Even if you commit to blocking his stuff, he's not some relentless pressure machine like Kabal. Freddy has a good 6f d+1 and escaping Sektor isn't like getting Cage or Kabal out of your face.

Sektor will always have the opportunity to make big comebacks based on the right read or a lucky TU, but that's Sektor. That's just how he is. I don't think the match up is super far in Freddy's favor, maybe like a 5.5/4.5 or 6/4, but I do feel he's got an advantage.

As for Mileena, I'll have to keep playing the match-up but I think Mileena might have a slight advantage. It's hard to say though. Everyone raves about Sektor's footsies, but Mileena stuffs most of his approach options. Sektor can't jump, because once he leaves the ground he's getting rolled. Even if he attempts a TU after jumping, roll will catch him on the way down or it'll dodge the uppercut completely. There's not really risk for Mileena here.

Advancing normals often get stuffed by d+4 (because she's so low and has great range), and if you're impatient and whiff one she can roll you on reaction. Once you establish that jumping is a no-go, she should do pretty well in that match. Neither are likely to commit to the long-range game because if the other is looking for a projectile they can telekick/uppercut the other on reaction. This is going to bring a stalemate to the long range game and drag them into a distance where Mileena is really comfortable.

The thing is, ultimately, if Mileena doesn't commit to anything, Sektor doesn't really have all that much to work with. As Swift says, if you just lame it out to "the 11th degree," what is Sektor supposed to do to open her up? He can't jump. She has a low hitbox so she'll always poke out of certain strings and his advancing normals are a) a huge risk because of their likelihood of whiffing and thus getting rolled and b) commonly stuffed by d+4 anyway. Flame is far more reliable on advancing characters then spacing/retreating characters, so it's not like you can just say "well he'll punish her with the flames." Plus, if he whiffs it or even on block Mileena can establish pressure. Also, Sektor doesn't have armor so if Mileena does get a roll or a combo starter, she's pretty good at riding that momentum with subsequent setups.

I think it's just that a lot of Mileena players are a) random, b) impatient and/or c) far too aggressive in this matchup. I'm not sure what I'd say, maybe 5.5/4.5, maybe 6/4, I'm not 100% sure. I have to run more matches with Swift in the near future. All I know is that, at the moment, it sort of feels like Mileena absolutely has the tools to shut down some of Sektor's best tools.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
what's the status with Freddy's hit-box vs Sektor's strings? That could mean something as well if Sektor has more pressure options at his disposal...
The standing 6F jab hits a crouch-blocking Sektor but can obviously be whiff punished by low pokes and uppercut. The second hit of b+3,4 never whiffs as far as I know. Those are all the advantages that Sektor acquires from Freddy's hitbox. As others have said, these advantages pale in comparison to Kung Lao and Kitana whose every single poke connects on a crouch-blocking Freddy.

On another note, last week I fought Master D.'s Freddy with my Sektor. Granted we're above average at best with those characters, I find Phase's description of the match up very accurate as far as Freddy "moving backwards" goes. It was just hard to get in and establish any offense without eating an uppercut which only resets the situation.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
I think Mileena/Sektor is even. Its tough to fight Sektor when he rushes you down and blows up everything Mileena does. Mileena also doesn't have an answer for flame thrower. But a zoning Sektor will get blown up by Mileena and Mileena cant zone sektor either cuz of ITU. Sektor can punish Mileena hard for her telekick/ball roll.

Also, Sub-Sektor has to be even. Sub has real good options vs Sektor.
Whiffed flame thrower equals telekick.
Max damage off of ex tele punish is an uppercut or d1 flamethrower, which does less than an uppercut.
Everyone can punich her ball roll, and her ball roll blows up f2,b1, b34.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
Well this is the first time I've seen valuable debate regarding a match up chart lol. That's nice to see :). Anyways IKizzLE and SwiftTomHanks good lists! You both have Sheeva at 7-3 though...how come?

Sheeva gets all her options completely destroyed by sektor.
You never want to be in sheeva's face so just lame it out. What can she do?
Everytime you see her telestomp, just mash out a regular TU and you get a free combo 100% of the time.
Her projectile is slow as hell, so a regular TU will be fine.

So she has to dash block to get in and even if she does get into jump range, Sektor completely outfootsies her. I mean, you can do literally everything. Mash out whatever block string you want. Mash the hell out of b34 over and over.

GGA Jeremiah thinks its 8-2

IKizzLE

BloodHound
I'd give it a month, 2 tops before Sektor players start saying Cage beats Sektor. I think Cage blows sektor up but its 5-5 for now.
Yea, im starting to think sektor also loses to cage as well even though I beat Dizzy in tourny and maxter in casuals.
I really need to play Curbo offline.