What's new

Nightwolf General Discussion Thread

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
Yea it's like netherrealm and wb almost doesn't care.
Dude, it's 11pm there now. Don't you think they want this shit to work?

I understand you want the character. So do I! The thing is that they want you to have it too, and trust me, the delay is stressing them out way more than it's stressing us.

Chill out. Have a beer. Watch a movie or something. It'll be resolved soon, and all the complaining or twitter harassment in the world won't make it go any faster.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
It is what it is at this point but you know this really isn't the same typical "this hitbox sucks" or "I can't unlock this skin" complaints, this is NRS not living up the promise of the sale of having the character on the 13th. It seems like they changed something about it and it's caused a delay, when before it had very little issue on this platform.

I'm not about to piss and moan about it and demand a refund but if there's ever a time when that sort of stuff is appropriate, it's when the product people paid for isn't being delivered. If they want that money from early access advertising, they should deliver it on time, simple as that.

My hearts go out to the people busting their ass to fix the problem for sure, but that's not the consumer's problem.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Day 1 obviously but right now I absolutely love NW. He's a bit lower damage, but his neutral is amazing, his strings are good, his pressure and presence are great. B13 is also fantastic, its a bit slower (17f) but its built in will he/wont he string is amazing. The beginning of B132 and the ending of B13 is basically indistinguishable, so you can just let it rock, or stop and just go for 11/throw immediately. B132 is also only -3 on block.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Day 1 obviously but right now I absolutely love NW. He's a bit lower damage, but his neutral is amazing, his strings are good, his pressure and presence are great. B13 is also fantastic, its a bit slower (17f) but its built in will he/wont he string is amazing. The beginning of B132 and the ending of B13 is basically indistinguishable, so you can just let it rock, or stop and just go for 11/throw immediately. B132 is also only -3 on block.
Haven't touched him much yet, I'm in the process of creating a spreadsheet of all of the characters, their combo strings and their animations, but the little that I played felt pretty good. He could be a good compliment to Johnny and Cassie.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
So I haven't read through the thread so forgive me if it has been mentioned but I noticed f1 2 ex axe whiffs in the corner, the second hit of the ex axe that bounces them usually misses but I noticed that for whatever reason if you don't ex it until the very last second it will actually connect and you can get your full combo in the corner off of it.

His other starters into ex axe work fine but for that one string you seem to have to delay you ex or the launching hit of the move misses :confused:

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
At least I got to play him in the tower, that was cool. Unlocked a bunch of skins for him and others. I’m okay with waiting and learning the tech from others playing him for now. I don’t think I’m going to play him much after the first week or so like Shang.

I downloaded Nightwolf before dinner yesterday but had al long day at work so I watched a (terrible) movie with my girlfriend. This morning I tried the NW tower and had some fun with him before my five year old woke up. “Hello what that’s that?”.. “Eh nothing shuts down ps4..

I’ll play some more tonight, liked what I experienced so far. Think i’ll check out the 2nd tournament variation because of the grapples. It’s time for a change of character after playing Scorpion and Kitana for 100+ hours :)

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Has anyone noticed how bad his AI is? So is Shang's. I can't get AI to do more than a 18% combo and he whiffs almost everything. Is NRS just saying fuck the AI system since it's not popular?
I actually came to this thread to ask the same exact thing. I have his combo bar maxed to 30 and he hasn’t even used tomahawk once, let alone ex tomahawk (and yes I’m sure the variation has it). Totally asinine AI.

First impressions ("I'm terrible and just dicked around in Practice mode" caveats apply):
  • Once again, NRS is making me choose between a variation I like stylistically and a variation that has combos. The forced dichotomy is becoming tiresome
  • Even more interestingly, it looks like NRS has purposefully made entering the land of Nightwolf combos require an investment by design: building a Kustom variation, it looks like you basically need to spend 2 slots to get a launcher, either the tomahawk swing or roll + amp roll (I think the axe you toss on the ground can setup some stuff but not quite a true launcher)
  • The above observation + what seems to be relatively low damage makes me think there might have been some concessions made so the Kiba buff was not totally busted

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Played a bit with him. I really don't like the command grab variation. It's the same to me as Baraka's one. You have to just chip away at the opponent with 18,19% chunks until he dies and it is boring for me.

On his combo variation, he feels pretty neat.

b2 is a weird anti air that somehow negates jumpin kicks. The startup is slow but I literally anti-aired with it when the jump kick was going through my head, so there's definitively some weird hitbox stuff going on under the hood there.

f12 combos from everything at insane range, you don't even have to dash into it after a b2 on almost all ranges.

His b13 staggers feel reaaaaallyyy smooooooooooooooooooooth, they are great, even better than baraka's b31 ones. They flow so nice and I just can't stop doing them, I love it.

His reflect is actually godsend, since 90% of ranked is just walkback projectile spammers. This way we can finally play some mortal kombat instead of frogger through cetrion boulders.

His combos are nice, you can get an easy 2 bar combo into fb for arround 50%, it's there just in case.

His KB string seems atrociously useless to me as before the overhead there are two HIGHS. Literally everyone spams d2 or mashes any poke. Maybe there are setups for it, but now having 2 highs is really killing it.

Will definitively continue playing him, I love the char.

Marinjuana

Character is sick but why for all the love of Motaka are the default variations not the tournament variations?

Played a bit with him. I really don't like the command grab variation. It's the same to me as Baraka's one. You have to just chip away at the opponent with 18,19% chunks until he dies and it is boring for me.

On his combo variation, he feels pretty neat.

b2 is a weird anti air that somehow negates jumpin kicks. The startup is slow but I literally anti-aired with it when the jump kick was going through my head, so there's definitively some weird hitbox stuff going on under the hood there.

f12 combos from everything at insane range, you don't even have to dash into it after a b2 on almost all ranges.

His b13 staggers feel reaaaaallyyy smooooooooooooooooooooth, they are great, even better than baraka's b31 ones. They flow so nice and I just can't stop doing them, I love it.

His reflect is actually godsend, since 90% of ranked is just walkback projectile spammers. This way we can finally play some mortal kombat instead of frogger through cetrion
His reflect is actually godsend, since 90% of ranked is just walkback projectile spammers. This way we can finally play some mortal kombat instead of frogger through cetrion boulders.
At what rank are you playing? I’m on Grand Master and this almost never happens to me. Hell, in 400 matches (give or take) I encountered only one Cetrion :)

Marinjuana

So in Ancestral Gift, I think F2121/F212~Rhino Charge vs F212~Command grab is a true mixup. I was thinking that you could maybe option select by letting go of block it but I don't think you can. Every option is unsafe so if you see that F212 come out get ready to guess and punish. Flawless blocking the overhead makes the string not come out and leave Nightwolf unsafe, maybe with a 24 frame overhead some of these flawless block gods can actually show it off outside of practice mode

:DOGE

Also, my week 1 punish for Rhino Charge is D3, I'll take that pressure.

Marinjuana

Since Ancestral Gift doesn't have a combo starter to spend meter on for grounded combos, he'll have to choose between amplifying Rhino Charge or Spirit Arrow. They do almost identical damage. Rhino Charge knocks down but Spirit Arrow Amp will leave Nightwolf at good advantage which he can capitalize on in the corner, but also in the midscreen. His dash speed and F1 are so good that he can do something like B13~BF1 Amp and then dash up F1 and legitimately pressure the opponent. And in the corner BF1 Amp will leave you at +7 with the opponent in your face, and that speaks for itself.

I also want to note that the +70 knockdown from command grab amp is mega beastly, you can do a full jump and then do a meaty F2, you can walk forward and do a crossover jump and then still have hit advantage. He knocks you out of the corner with his grab but you can basically keep it anyway.