What's new

Nightwolf First Look (Courtesy of WB and Mr. Aquaman)

Mr. Aquaman, resident hype man of the NRS scene, was given an opportunity for an early look at Nightwolf, releasing on 8/13 for season pass holders. He put out a 30 minute video showing off his competitive variations, what he can do with them, his gear, and everything else you'd want to know about Nightwolf.

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

Not to be a party pooper, but how come he gets to feel so complete meanwhile so many of the original roster members feel like they were put together in the last week of the game?
I just hope to god he comes along with a patch because he looks hella good lol.

Not to be a party pooper, but how come he gets to feel so complete meanwhile so many of the original roster members feel like they were put together in the last week of the game?
I just hope to god he comes along with a patch because he looks hella good lol.
Maybe the patch will update some vanilla characters to be more complete?

OR maybe they'll release more tournament variations?

Anti zoner, Reflecting boulders back at your face with green ancestral shield aura while anti airing you to oblivion the moment your toes leave the ground with raising tomahawks in your nuts.
Ok i just wanna say that i predicted the move been called rising tomahawk, Now where is my cookie?

Ok now im watching the video now and I like what I see, and I am happy because I have intended to play NW since he was announced BUT

I noticed he has a hitconfirmable Overhead combo starter? I thought we were trying to get away from that shit?

His gear is awesome and his Revenant skins are the best looking ones in the game. He looks awesome. So happy you can take the rollerblading helmet off him.

He looks to have really good corner carry.

Nature's Call is the variation I'll be trying out. Or whatever it's called. Whatever one has the launching Tomahawk and Reflect.

His front throw Krushing Blow does 37%. Holy shit. That's more than his 2 bar BnBs will do, most likely. What the hell.

All his Krushing Blows seem really viable and strong. That shoulder KB is really good, even though the damage is rightfully not that high.

If he's able to Arrow Cancel out of strings and continue combos, that would be amazing.
Look closer at the shoulder KB. Aquaman didn't realize it, but he linked his follow ups from the KB. It's a combo starter, like D'vorah's air grab. If it's really like her air grab, he'll even get a jump in.

So that makes the shoulder KB a serious combo extender for all variations, a good anti-zoning tool, and an amazing whiff punisher all in one.

I love the classic head gear. I want to see the other costumes! Surely, a revenant one is coming too. I skimmed through it so maybe i missed it. the mask on him looks a little weird. but maybe it will work with another costume. It's like Kitana. She doesn't look right to me without some kind of headdress. The revenent skins just feel odd without the mask, Actually that revenent Kitana mask is very cool IMO on all her outfits. Sorry. side bar.

Literally my favorite part of the video. I stopped watching right after that to post this. I'm hype af for NW now!

Sleep well Cassie low gunshot (and other various annoying projectiles).

Yes, I play skarlet and am still hype for it. lol
Im so excited for nightwolf. Ancestral Gifts has the Teleport Parry for a bar and on certain projectiles it let's you do a small combo and it has the CMD Grab(High).

But my favorite is gonna be Matoka Warrior his first Tournament Variation with the Launcher and Damage buff. I feel this variation will be the best one but I think the second one might be decent but low damage.

Some of my thoughts:
Nightwolf may not be the best Anti zoner since he doesn't have the projectile evading roll in his Tournament Variations but the parry looks powerful in both Variations, but think about it is it possible that his reflect is like Erron black's Scud Shot? You can hold it as long as you want but does it stop after the first hit reflects or can you reflect multiple projectiles? If so it could be better than EB's and what if it can be used to make strings safe?
His shoulder is like Cassie but better cuz you can Amp on block and its an overhead. Base move too.
He has an 11f mid that is kinda unsafe but has a hit confirmable 17f mid into a low low that's -7 on block.

His arrow looks strong. Having reflect and damage buff with the launcher maybe be a good counter to Cetrion, Cassie and Sonya Zoning but we don't know what projectiles go through it? I'm thinking Shangs Ground Skulls and Corpse Drop and Sonyas Drone might go through it and maybe Scarlets low? So I'm excited to test gameplay with hI'm.
He looks amazing but honest my favorite character so far and that Revanent War paint Skin with Wolf head is so sick

Ok now im watching the video now and I like what I see, and I am happy because I have intended to play NW since he was announced BUT

I noticed he has a hitconfirmable Overhead combo starter? I thought we were trying to get away from that shit?
His overhead is going to have synergy with his high hitting command grab, and it doesn't seem too fast. We'll have to see what the counter play is but I definitely think it's going to be scary blocking against this character. I haven't watched the whole video yet but I wonder what his sweep is looking like as that would be the low mix.

Looks wise: He seems strong but I guarantee you he's going to play as close as Jax without what makes Jax good (in terms of damage, KBs, and the ability to restand your opponent off of a special move).

Haven't seen them in action yet, but at first glance, Ancestral Gift is definitely gonna be the more popular one. He's got a command grab, anti-zoning, and string extensions into throws similar to Jax's Hunker Down variation.
I don't think Ancestral Gifts will be the most popular variation. Motaka Warrior looks better:
He has a metered launcher off hit confirmable mids 11f-17f
He has Wolf Buff on top of 30% damage in all the Krushing Blows in his T1. The other variation sacrifices damage for a high CMD Grab and TP on reflect.
But T1 still has Reflect as a base move that sends back projectiles and may work like Scud Shot On multiple projectiles?

Reflect, Shoulder, Arrow are all base moves so I think he is good in every variation but to me Motaka seems to have the most reward vs Risk. But both look dope.
I hope honeybee overlooked some moves because I really wanted the roll and lightning.

I'm hoping reflect sends back multiple projectiles and doesn't just end after the first projectile gets reflected. It would be great if it can make strings safe on block but I'm thinking the Arrow Cancels may do that for a bar?

His overhead is going to have synergy with his high hitting command grab, and it doesn't seem too fast. We'll have to see what the counter play is but I definitely think it's going to be scary blocking against this character. I haven't watched the whole video yet but I wonder what his sweep is looking like as that would be the low mix.
He is fuzzy blockable from the data HoneyBee showed