What's new

Match-up Discussion Nightwing Match-Up Discussion (1.06 and on)

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
At midscreen, I don't think it's that hard tbh. Fuzzy block the overhead/crossup overhead then the teeth. Or the low into teeth. You don't have to respect a lot of his setups either.

We should try connecting
The unblockables are not midscreen.

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
You can't punish a jump out of d2 teeth or gas can when done properly, don't judge the matchup out of just 16 games.

I'll record with any nightwing, hit me up.
Hey, man. It was 20 games. Big difference.:joker:

When I get outta school I'll ft100 you if the connection connects.

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
I played Tom a while ago in two very long sets. He got the majority of wins, but it's one of my favourite Nightwing matchups. It's also one that he can comfortably stay in staff. There is a huge trident/ground pound meta.

Nightwing cannot get a guaranteed pound unless he blocks the trident. If he tried to do Aquaman can stuff it with his trident.

But as soon as Nightwing gets a pound out, Aqua has to either jump, block the pound, or move.

It becomes a pretty fun battle, one where Grayson plays a huge role as well.
It seems like a 5-5 but leaning towards Aquaman just based on Aquaman being able to build meter and abuse NW if he's in Escrima. I don't know what normals in Escrima can punish most of Aquaman's normals like F1 (7 frame startup thats +3) and B1 (9 frame low starter) Aquaman's D2 alone pretty much denies anything NW has to offer.

Sajam played an Aquaman at SCR, he did a pretty good job and fought cleanly. I was trying to study it from that footage. I still feel like I'm not understanding enough, especially with players like Theo, Rico, Syknis, Limbodawgz, etc out there playing Aquaman at a high level.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
It seems like a 5-5 but leaning towards Aquaman just based on Aquaman being able to build meter and abuse NW if he's in Escrima. I don't know what normals in Escrima can punish most of Aquaman's normals like F1 (7 frame startup thats +3) and B1 (9 frame low starter) Aquaman's D2 alone pretty much denies anything NW has to offer.

Sajam played an Aquaman at SCR, he did a pretty good job and fought cleanly. I was trying to study it from that footage. I still feel like I'm not understanding enough, especially with players like Theo, Rico, Syknis, Limbodawgz, etc out there playing Aquaman at a high level.
Honestly, in the aquaman matchup it's one of the few matchups where switch is not totally necessary. Aquaman will win on a trade with any projectile so switch to go from ground spark to pound is not that beneficial here. It's much more fun to play the ground pound/trident meta. He is always negative after his faster start up trident, where you are always plus and WILL force him to move.

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion

I think the worst part is Aquaman's D2 blows up flipkick.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I think I've played Theo at almost every WNF, and he knows the MU better than anybody I know. When an Aquaman really understands the MU you can't sit in staff, he can force you to approach in escrima, which really sucks.

Once the Aquaman player understands to dash forward, back dash, or jump the next pound, it becomes hard to out turtle him without bar. It's also hard to comeback in staff, since his mb b3 shuts down you offense and his chip makes you attempt to use escrima to get in and make something happen.
When I play Tom online this is how I feel. I HAVE to go into escrima for the match with carefully placed staff switches. I'd just like to watch some. you think you could find some for me?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Honestly, in the aquaman matchup it's one of the few matchups where switch is not totally necessary. Aquaman will win on a trade with any projectile so switch to go from ground spark to pound is not that beneficial here. It's much more fun to play the ground pound/trident meta. He is always negative after his faster start up trident, where you are always plus and WILL force him to move.
don't know about this. I prefer staff too but when intractables are available, Aquaman can dash pounds on reaction and get big damage from them as well as dash and many times whiff punish gp for 20%. That makes up for the chip and possible 16% combo you get if you land a mb pound from full screen.

my gameplan is to stay in escrima until interacables are out of the way...then go to staff and play footsies/GP game. But even then, you HAVE to know when they are going to try to back dash and punish it. Its just hard because its like your frame traps don't even matter.

gpmoney

CORN | gpmoney. Saltier than a bag of chips.
in all honesty I prefer escrima in this over staff. In the match I never still still though. ground spark staff cancel GP is really good in this

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Footsies.

Whiff punish b1 with b2.

Punish trident in block with normals if in range

WD dashes or punish his movement in other ways

Trip guard his jumps

gpmoney

how do you open Aquaman up in escrima?
fuck with him lol. d1 and d12 are your sex machines. FOOTSIE TIME!. In the game of footsies you gotta outplay the opponent. Use their knowledge against them. see what you can get away with.
for example Conditioning your opponent to make mistakes or change their play style by punishing them or changing yours. if someone always tries to hit a button after D1 in escrima I back up and let them whiff then punish. What this dose is condition the opponent to stop pressing buttons after D1 giving me free frame traps since they do not want to press anything. like B112 is a good string but start up sux so its really hard to land, So if I condition you into letting me do so after D12 I can do it and get set ups. I condition you to letting me hit b112 by punishing you for hitting buttons after d1, since you are afraid to press anything on D1 ill do D12 into b112. This is just an example of the meta game of conditioning players. I learned all I know about footsies from friends and local OG Streetfighter players in my sceene

gpmoney

I really wish I would have kept playing street fighter cause my footsie game is as 'in match'. I need to play more to sharpen my skills Im too much of a theory fighter who makes bad reads, DL players too slowly and doubt myself too much

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
I really wish I would have kept playing street fighter cause my footsie game is as 'in match'. I need to play more to sharpen my skills Im too much of a theory fighter who makes bad reads, DL players too slowly and doubt myself too much
lol I wish NW had some in Escrima, more of his normals are just too slow to even try. Thats why I was worried about going against Aquaman in Escrima because Aquaman has like 4 normals that bodies mostly everything NW has. I guess I gotta level up my reaction time to Aquaman's quick B1. NW is like a low volume boxer in this game.

gpmoney

lol I wish NW had some in Escrima, more of his normals are just too slow to even try. Thats why I was worried about going against Aquaman in Escrima because Aquaman has like 4 normals that bodies mostly everything NW has. I guess I gotta level up my reaction time to Aquaman's quick B1. NW is like a low volume boxer in this game.
you have to look at a few things though. yes AM has these normals but is the opponent going to use them correctly. You make options to stop them from using them or trick them to not doing it so you can get into your comfort zone. For me after getting punished so much I worked on options for what to do if my rush down fails

macro

Eezeepeezee
@Eric Z19 How do you feel about the matchup since we were playing this morning.
But i think vs Aquaman it's also best to stay in staff because you can rely on it ranging
them out. But in escrima your best options are to throw some carefully placed
Wing Dings or try and and see when he is going to anti air your Wing Dings
and do Flying Grayson. Also something that the Aquaman player will
be looking out for is when your going switch from Escrima
to staff to do a Ground Pound Because From The Deep
will catch you and now your playing the Aquamans
game. Also one of the best ways to start your
pressure is to go for a 112 in escrima then go for a F213 into Staff Spin
then your at neutral and your in his face whatever he does and
you block it like B12 Trident Rush now he has to play your
game of pressrue. now it's also good to do 1F2 in this matchup
because it's easy to stuff all of his wake up in staff
and it's a good mixup with 1F1.

macro

Eezeepeezee
I almost forgot to say you need to know your options after a clash.
If you won the clash your best options are to dash two times dash once and throw Wing Dings
or to switch into staff and Ground Pound. if you lose the clash you can block. lol

Honestly, I don't feel comfortable enough with my pocket Aquaman to be engaging in any sort of matchup discussion with him. There's a ton of things I'm sure that I'm doing wrong in that fight just because he's still so new to me. Hell, I have to remind myself to do F1 a lot of the time.

I almost forgot to say you need to know your options after a clash.
If you won the clash your best options are to dash two times dash once and throw Wing Dings
or to switch into staff and Ground Pound. if you lose the clash you can block. lol
If you're low on life and can't take the chip you can also backdash. One of my finer clutch moments when I pulled this off as arrow and stole the round.