What's new

New Balance Patch Podcast featuring m2dave, P2W, REO, and Slips

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I will never agree with the statement "You can't react to a run in this game" That's just not true. If I can do it, everyone can.
Not everyone plays a character with long-range normals that have no hurt boxes, so the risk/reward for trying to "react" to a run isn't the same universally.

It's not JUST reacting to the start up of a run. Distance matters, for one thing. If we're talking full screen, sure. But if you have a character with footsie tools or strings that cover a lot of space, reacting to a run isn't that simple.

There's a whole metagame behind running. Will they cancel into a jump? Will they block to bait? Will they run and mash out armor? Will they use an advancing string/mid?

Not every character has the same recovery when it comes to whiffed normals. So when they run, and you throw out a poke to stop it, and they jump instead, some characters are stuck in recovery and have to hold that.

Plus there's characters like Mystic that regulate so much screen space that they get to run in for free because you're looking for other things.

It's not as simple as a pure reaction.

Rude

The fact that people think AAs are still bad baffle me. There are a couple of outliers, but you have other options against them than just "d2". Watch any of my matches I AA all the damn time, even Alien's j2.

You play a character with some of the best anti-air options in the game, including an uppercut with no hurt box.

TTH, I think you're seeing the game through the eyes of D'Vorah.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Not everyone plays a character with long-range normals that have no hurt boxes, so the risk/reward for trying to "react" to a run isn't the same universally.

It's not JUST reacting to the start up of a run. Distance matters, for one thing. If we're talking full screen, sure. But if you have a character with footsie tools or strings that cover a lot of space, reacting to a run isn't that simple.

There's a whole metagame behind running. Will they cancel into a jump? Will they block to bait? Will they run and mash out armor? Will they use an advancing string/mid?

Not every character has the same recovery when it comes to whiffed normals. So when they run, and you throw out a poke to stop it, and they jump instead, some characters are stuck in recovery and have to hold that.

Plus there's characters like Mystic that regulate so much screen space that they get to run in for free because you're looking for other things.

It's not as simple as a pure reaction.
I use s1 to stop run ins, d3 and d4 are unreliable for me. Throw out a poke and at the distance you know where the moves stop.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
You play a character with some of the best anti-air options in the game, including an uppercut with no hurt box.

TTH, I think you're seeing the game through the eyes of D'Vorah.
s1 though lol, I've seen Jax d1 for an AA. More people should be playing these two characters tbh.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
That's bullshit.

Puddle forces characters into her footsie range, it trades with projectiles for full combos. It has quite a few uses. It trades with poke out attempts and characters without advancing strings/armor have to risk jumping out or holding that +22 into a mix up.
Every character can get out of puddle if they choose to sit there and let me do f112 puddle. Even Quan. It should trade with projectiles, that's her design, trade to get in. Only thing puddle forces midscreen, is letting me get in.

Rude

I use s1 to stop run ins, d3 and d4 are unreliable for me. Throw out a poke and at the distance you know where the moves stop.
It's still a read. They could block, armor, jump, etc. There's also the fact that some characters like Cage, can crush poke attempts with their advancing mids.

Rude

Every character can get out of puddle if they choose to sit there and let me do f112 puddle. Even Quan. It should trade with projectiles, that's her design, trade to get in. Only thing puddle forces midscreen, is letting me get in.

They can jump out, but lets not pretend she cant blow people up for trying. Doing puddle forces them to block or run in to avoid it. Thus forcing them into the space of your footsie tools.

It assists her neutral in a way other characters can't.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
They can jump out, but lets not pretend she cant blow people up for trying. Doing puddle forces them to block or run in to avoid it. Thus forcing them into the space of your footsie tools.

It assists her neutral in a way other characters can't.
I thrive on people trying to jump out of puddle instead of using the proper option. They will be in space regardless of puddle tbh.

Rude

I thrive on people trying to jump out of puddle instead of using the proper option. They will be in space regardless of puddle tbh.
Not all options are created equal.

I know it's a struggle for D'Vorah mains, but can we admit it MIGHT be a good move?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
What I would like to see:
  1. Back dash to have instant recovery ,and to be special cancelable, so, characters can actually counter attack gaps as a read: and it will increase the defensive capabilities of the cast.
  2. D2 high priority over air attacks a.k.a no hurt-box over the head.
  3. Make plus on block launchers negative, like d'vorah puddle.
  4. Back 4 sweeps become 0 on block Universally.
2. High priority over air attacks its not the same has no hurtbox over the heads, if you give d2 no hurtbox over the heads will also give priority vs overheads and high attacks depending of the angle.