What's new

Netherrealm Studios Crunch 80-100 hours work

Rice

SIRO FOR MK1
I feel a tad guilty for playing MK11. Should I? I mean I paid $120 for it so. I just can't shake the feeling that I'm unintentionally "supporting crunch culture" for playing. I just got the game I don't want the hype ruined for me :(
Buying and playing the game means that their hard work wasnt for nothing.

Not buying a game and not playing doesnt change anything about this work culture that is pretty common.

It sucks but consumers have almost none influence to that.

Crunch culture being highlighted is going on for over a decade now and can only fought against with unions and changes inside the industry itself.

No consumer should feel guilty about this and think they support crunch culture because most, even indie games have crunch nowadays.

Last edited:
Having experienced both, I would rather work 80-hour weeks in a kitchen than 40-hour weeks in a dev shop.

Try being at your maximum stress tolerance and not being able to get it out of your body with physical labour because development is static, sedentary work.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
I wish Jax could go back in time and undo all of this abuse as well and there wouldn't be nearly as much controversy. Make it happen Raiden. On a serious note, they need to make the 40 hour work week a law in all states. No exceptions. I feel a little bad for playing, but at the same time I paid $100 soooooo.

HAMMER

Noob
"This is the way things are... therefore, this is the way things should be"

Galaxy brain argument right there
Wasn't an argument at all. It takes two to argue and I didn't throw my hat in the ring.

A lot of Americans simply just cry for the sake of crying.

You defending this nonsense says more about you than me.

Phased

Noob
To the people saying work is a choice:

to a certain extent yes, but this is the real world. People have have bills and family to support. Some people may have a passion for their career, and may not want to just up and quit and not finish the blueprints for what they started. They may not want to leave their friends & coworkers cut and dry by quitting out of the blue, and now THEIR already hetic scheduled just got worse because of it.

There are a multiude of reasons why someone may temporally stay in this type of work place. The arguement of "just quit bro lol"doesnt exactly have merit. We all have choices, that doesnt exempt big companies from criticism of unfair work conditions or harassment in the work place. You have been sold a bill of goods.

Last edited:

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Wasn't an argument at all. It takes two to argue and I didn't throw my hat in the ring.

A lot of Americans simply just cry for the sake of crying.

You defending this nonsense says more about you than me.
But wasn't it crying that led to safer work environments, better pay, benefits and so on? Why would anyone cry, just to cry?

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
WHERE IS THE PATCH!! WHERE IS THE PATCH DAMMIT!!!??!?! WHY U NO FIX STEAM VERSION, NRS!??!?! WE WANT IT FIXED TODAY!!! LOL, NRS SO LA-ZZYYYYY!!! WHY U NO FIX THE TOWERS OF TIME, ALREADY!!??!?! HOW MUCH MORE WILL WE HAV TU W8T, NRS?!?!?! F U NRS, PATCH THIS SHIT YESTERDAY!!!

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
It goes beyond just crying, they’re working like dogs and their pay sucks too. In the other thread wasn’t it said they were making like 12 bucks an hour? I would never work for that low of pay, that fucking sucks, especially not for that type of work. They probably put up with that high amount of hours because their wage is shit. That really sucks and definitely isn’t just people complaining

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
WHERE IS THE PATCH!! WHERE IS THE PATCH DAMMIT!!!??!?! WHY U NO FIX STEAM VERSION, NRS!??!?! WE WANT IT FIXED TODAY!!! LOL, NRS SO LA-ZZYYYYY!!! WHY U NO FIX THE TOWERS OF TIME, ALREADY!!??!?! HOW MUCH MORE WILL WE HAV TU W8T, NRS?!?!?! F U NRS, PATCH THIS SHIT YESTERDAY!!!

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Yeah. I'm disgusted by the story. By all aspects of it.

But what disgusts me the most is how the women over there seem to be treated. Having to share bathrooms with the men, just because they're not as many? That's mind-boggling to me. I live in Germany and here the entire society laughs at the mere idea of that.
And then the harassement with "secret nicknames" behind the womens backs? It's so ironic given how NRS has been dressing their female characters in tents more and more, while in the back some of them are still behaving like neanderthals.

One would expect co-workers to stick together. If they're already all getting trashed left and right by the corporate suits, that's one thing... but that one thing should form some kind of a unity - a bond. But instead some of the more fortunate devs seem to be assholes.
If I was working at NRS I make sure that women have their own bathroom. Even if it's just 3 of them compared to 50 men. And if I heard anyone talk mad shit about a woman behind her back, if she doesn't deserve it..? Oh boy.

Yeah. I'm still hoping for a hit piece from Jason Schrier on this topic to clarify all the things. If NRS is as shady as these crunch stories make it sound like, then they need to get their shit pushed in, no matter how much we all love Mortal Kombat. A franchise you like shouldn't justify people suffering for all the wrong reasons.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Buying and playing the game means that their hard work wasnt for nothing.

Not buying a game and not playing doesnt change anything about this work culture that is pretty common.

It sucks but consumers have almost none influence to that.

Crunch culture being highlighted is going on for over a decade now and can only fought against with unions and changes inside the industry itself.

No consumer should feel guilty about this and think they support crunch culture because most, even indie games have crunch nowadays.
This.

Remember an episode in Friends, where Phoebe dated a health inspector and wherever they went to eat, he ended up closing the restaurant because of violations and by nightfall they had ran out of places to eat? I'm somehow reminded of this.

If people want to boycott any product that is produced by crunch, they will forego at least 60% of the stuff they eat/play/listen/view/experience.

If you want to blame someone, blame capitalism, the stockmarket, the poor implementation of laws, human greed … take your pick.

I don't know if Boon is the bad guy here. We don't know the timetables that Warner imposes on NRS, we don't know how much of that crunch is because of bad management (yeah, that's a thing), unreasonable demands by WB, incompetence on the side of the dev team (which crunch will only amplify), or simple human greed. We need more evidence before we can come to a solid conclusion.

At this point, the leak that happened back then, with the half-JPGed roster/Noob/MK3 Kano/Cetrion/Kollector/Erron Black? Wouldn't surprise me if it was a disgrunted employee who was fired by Boon and wanted to give him the middle finger by leaking all of the roster and piss all over NRS' hype train schedule.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
I think you misunderstood him. He is making a good point in a funny way.

That's how we all sound like. We expect mistakes and nonsense fixed three days ago. And that forces devs to put in more work.
So we have to be more rational with our complaints in general, no matter if it's directed at NRS work speed or their toxic work environment.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm

But what disgusts me the most is how the women over there seem to be treated. Having to share bathrooms with the men, just because they're not as many? That's mind-boggling to me. I live in Germany and here the entire society laughs at the mere idea of that.
And then the harassement with "secret nicknames" behind the womens backs? It's so ironic given how NRS has been dressing their female characters in tents more and more, while in the back some of them are still behaving like neanderthals.

One would expect co-workers to stick together. If they're already all getting trashed left and right by the corporate suits, that's one thing... but that one thing should form some kind of a unity - a bond. But instead some of the more fortunate devs seem to be assholes.
If I was working at NRS I make sure that women have their own bathroom. Even if it's just 3 of them compared to 50 men. And if I heard anyone talk mad shit about a woman behind her back, if she doesn't deserve it..? Oh boy.

Yeah. I'm still hoping for a hit piece from Jason Schrier on this topic to clarify all the things. If NRS is as shady as these crunch stories make it sound like, then they need to get their shit pushed in, no matter how much we all love Mortal Kombat. A franchise you like shouldn't justify people suffering for all the wrong reasons.
This happens in my workplace all the time - I live in Greece. There's always gossip and a particular employee gives insulting nicknames for every employee that fails his standards of the Perfect Human Being. For both men and women. Behind their backs, of course. In front of them, he's all shits and giggles. The irony is that he's so charismatic, everyone wants to hang out with him.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I feel a tad guilty for playing MK11. Should I? I mean I paid $120 for it so. I just can't shake the feeling that I'm unintentionally "supporting crunch culture" for playing. I just got the game I don't want the hype ruined for me :(
It's not YOUR fault, if they would just stop getting these games out too soon then that would fix their crazy work hours. It's not the consumer's fault, we can't force anyone to get a game out quickly, even if people are hyped you know, a dev is not gonna say 'well shit I gotta work another 8 hours because people really want this'. It's the company and higher-ups that forces those things on their workers.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator

Unixes bathrooms are okay, I worked up north in a small camp and we had those, but it does depend on the people there. We were like a tight-knit family, but I get that some people are a-holes no matter what. It seems like they're trying to hide their actual sexism through covering up the women.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I don't feel guilty at all, because I am not the one who overworks the employees, nor am I the one who makes those decisions. Now, if we were talking about child exploitation or something like that, I would be a lot more condemning.

The only way I can see this changing is with guys like Jason Scheiffer reporting news such as this. Such stories cause other future employees to never go to work for NRS, and as a result, NRS will be forced to make the work hours more bearable. Buying less copies of the game doesn't solve the problem - it simply makes those overworked people get paid even less (by reducing their bonuses).

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
This isn't something that is just a game industry problem, this is an American problem. Across all kinds of different industries.
Wrong. This is a worldwide problem. In China, work conditions are so inhumane it makes the American workplace look like heaven. Other third-world countries often overwork their employees and give them crumbs in return.

Wrong. This is a worldwide problem. In China, work conditions are so inhumane it makes the American workplace look like heaven. Other third-world countries often overwork their employees and give them crumbs in return.
yes just think about foxconn which manufacture all the computer parts