What's new

Netherrealm Studios Crunch 80-100 hours work

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
https://www.pcgamer.com/former-devs-speak-out-about-severe-crunch-at-mortal-kombat-studio/
80-100 hours were normal at NRS for weeks or months at a time, while contractors struggled with low pay. After some publicy of the Fortnight contreversy, former devs of NRS spoke out about the brutal hours they had to do during MK9, Injustice 2 and MKX. Beck Hallstedt, who contributed to Injustice 2 as a contract concept artist, weighed in on Twitter with more allegations in response to Longstreets tweets, saying that Netherrealm Studios "Needs to be exposed for predatory and abusive behaviors in the same ways Riot, Epic and TellTale have". Hallstedt claimed that the studios relies heavily on temporary workers "on a 9 month on, 3 month off cycle with no benefits near minimum wage, strung along with lukewarm messaging that maybe you'll be hired "after the next contract"
Another employee who wanted to remain anymonous said she tried to file a complaints about Netherrealm Studios to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. "We brought up harrasment the bathroom issue, the secret nicknames that devs had for all female employees, the lack of woman who had full-time jobs, the singling out that we experienced, ect ect. It took a year for the EEOC to decide that apparently nothing bad had happened and on top of it all NRS insulted my co-worker and me, telling us we were misremembering everything and taking personal jabs at our skills"
Another former QA analyst who requested to be quoted anymonously, confirmed the $12 hour wage and how it fed into the crunch. "I managed to get by for a while but iy got to a point where I had to put my Student loans on hold. If it wasn't for the money made during the crunch, I've likely have had to settle for a different job and industry, which is something I didn't want to do because this was something I finished school for and was my passion for. I didn't want to throw it all away but I should have thought differently".
"Nothing improved after injustice 2. Everything was down to the wire. Everything was worse". -Rebecca Rothschilds
When the studio was in crunch mode, it was common to see workers walk around in pajamas. "One guy was notorious for being in a bathrobe" Rothschilds said.
A worker by the name of Miguel supposedly died at his death during crunch time.
I'd like to point out that's its not crazy to think twice about posting a complaint about MK11 or any game for that matter as a consumer, whether its about the latest patch, certain animations or the designs of the female characters. These aren't just game devs, these are real people with real lives and are at the mercy of greedy industries.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
This isn't the only company that did that. Same goes for a few others, like EA.

tbh, it was kind of common in China, thus the constant suicides off the rooftops of their respective workshops. Never have thought of seeing the crunch at NRS. After NRS brought this upon herself, others talked about EA and the other companies doing this shit to their own workers.

NRS needs to get her shit together and stop brutaly work them to the bone. :/

The same way they do with us (exploring our passion for the franchise with disguised loot boxes and predatory tactics like shao kahn for dlc) they do with their employees, sucking their energy and time.

Listen guys, all of the shit that you are seing in mk11 is the fault of warner brothers and rich fuckers that are way above nrs.
Do not let this thread die....we admire the work and the passion of talented people who make these games and we as a community should wish well for all of them.

Fuck warner brothers and fuck the parasites responsible for the suffering in the nrs work environment.

Last edited:

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
I came into the industry at the beginning of 2009 when there were NO jobs and people that complain about making MK seems insulting. Don’t work for $12 an hour if you don’t want to. A company’s only job is to make profit, any company that does differently will get consumed by competitors. The fault for the poor conditions, if fault exists, is in lawmakers hands. In America all employment is at-will. Cool jobs like making Mortal Kombat are very competitive so they’re going to pay a lot less. And if working at NRS is the “only way to remain in the industry” then it sounds like they’re the good guys. I don’t pretend to know what their specific situation was like, but I know it is/was their decision to work there and there are plenty of dev and QA jobs everywhere; especially in a big city like Chicago. I will say those places SUCK to work at, it’s not easy getting out of a situation like that so I feel for them.

So, let's see what we have here:

• content gating to push micro-trannies in a non free-to-play game
  • always online DRM further gating said content
  • semantical lies up the ying-tang, re. "no loot boxes", "everything can be earned in-game", "no gameplay-affect content [will be held to ransom]" and so on
  • "standard", "premium", "deluxe"... buy-in retail modelling
  • $ea$onal content rumoured (all but confirmed via data miners)
  • inhumane work hours and working conditions...

Hmm... I'll take ELECTRONIC ARTS for $400, Jim! :DOGE

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
So, let's see what we have here:

• content gating to push micro-trannies in a non free-to-play game
  • always online DRM further gating said content
  • semantical lies up the ying-tang, re. "no loot boxes", "everything can be earned in-game", "no gameplay-affect content [will be held to ransom]" and so on
  • "standard", "premium", "deluxe"... buy-in retail modelling
  • $ea$onal content rumoured (all but confirmed via data miners)
  • inhumane work hours and working conditions...
Hmm... I'll take ELECTRONIC ARTS for $400, Jim! :DOGE
Wow it's almost like you know absolutely nothing about MK11!

Not defending NRS or anything but you're so off the mark you're hitting the JRPGs minding their own business.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
They all had the choice to work somewhere else. Some of them did quit, and some of them stayed. It's choice, this isn't slave labor. Nobody was chained up or beaten. Working Overtime is not the end of the world. Harden up.
To an extent, such as overtime or workload, you're not wrong. If what they're saying is true about the physical conditions of the work space and the harassment by permanent staff are true, that isn't kosher and NRS goes from an inept gamemaker to a shitbag company.

Its pretty common in design jobs. When i started being an intern at a local webdesign firm there were times i just slept in the office for a few hours and back at it again. People have a choice and choices to make. If you want to change the conditions you need a union comprising of all low wage workers in every major game studio. Otherwise best is to delve into a different career or pick a another game studio. Its quite simple.

People who talk about jobs and poor conditions in work enviromnent linking these with "choice" sounds like one of the most naive things that I ever heard in my life.

Jobs are not choice man....wake up. If we had a choice, all of us....we wouldn't never accept humiliation and waste of time in a exporatory environment. People have bills to pay and there are psychological pressure and brainwashing too. Honestly....wake up.

If we all had a choice....work would never exist, or, it would be waaaaaaaaay different than it is.

HAMMER

Noob
Welcome to the real world. This is not exclusive to NRS.

And that is just the hours they may be present.

Some of us only work 3-4 hours at our 9-5.