What's new

Match-up Discussion My thoughts on the Shazam Matchup Chart.

SZSR

Noob
Nightwing(Staff Stance) is possibly worse than that. With all the push back he gets, you can barely make even trades, much less comeback when he has a life lead. And Nightwing's zoning in staff stance works astonishingly well on Shazam.

Flash 6-4 - The AT wins this for me. With it beating out the RMS flash needs to headbut forward and in this matchup shazam can actually throw projectiles :O !

Green lantern 3-7 - GLs mixups plus his great spacing and zoning tools make this 3-7 for me.

Deathstroke 2-8 - Worst matchup by FAR. No answer to: low gunshot + mb, high gunshot + mb, ji3 and iags. A combination of these just obliterate shazam. You can't AT in, using teleport is stupid because you're asking to get hit out of it, and the sword spin on wakeup is safe esp with mb thus rendering a knockdown and the vortex useless.

Batman 3-7 - bats bats bats bats bats and more bats. I HATE those bats! Batman is just too good. His pressure game is solid vs shazam and as we doesn't really have a solid AA it makes it too difficult. At full screen the bats, in

combination with batarangs that can be MB and push back, make it tough. The random grapple with risk of mb just adds to the pain.

Raven 4-6 - Ive only played this matchup a few times with a really solid raven player and it is not easy. You can be punished for dashing forward for gods sake and if raven has two bars, she can even combo off of it. Shazam only has a dash to get in, and with they being punishable, it pushes it in ravens favour. When shazam is in, I feel like I can really sustain a solid offence (until the round ends that is and the bloody floor becomes a bouncy castle and the opponent goes flying to the other side of the screen).

Aquaman 3-7 - Aquaman plays off waking backwards. This is how SZ was in MK9 and hence why (i think) brady plays him today. My knowledge may be limited, but I have no idea how to get in without using a risky AT. After the patch, this MU, MAY, be a 4-6 but i've left it as 3-7 because it doesnt make too much of a difference for shazam.
Flash is 5-5, he does more damage and can negate our wakeup attacks with OTG Pound and OTG d1. He also has solid 50/50s that we don't get much for blocking. He also has very good wakeups that are hard to bait. Throwing projectiles for us never works in any matchup except to trade with another projectile.

Lantern beats him clean but not because of mixups. Gatling gun alone is super abusable in the matchup and requires a clean read to Torpedo it's startup or eat a 40% combo on block via lift.

Stroke is not 2-8, you're super overrating how good Deathstroke is. Guns are not a problem at all anymore. Check out the other thread showing Mercury Storm punishiment, Deathstroke can't wakeup safely against us.

Batman is pretty hard but not a 3-7. His pressure game sucks, you can backdash most of his strings on reaction or jump out of. He doesn't have an AA either without meter so we can take to the skies too as well to fight him. Random grapples should always be punished.

Raven is pretty troublesome yeah, but crossover j2 beats all her wakeups and puts her into a 50/50 situation. Just get in and stay in, but 6-4 is right.

Aquaman is not 3-7, we punish every single one of his options on block. Just turtle it up and walk him into a corner and force him to do something.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
\Bane 7-3 - The charge punish is big in this MU and I think that banes strings (for me) are just a bit too slow and when in debuff it is just a bit too easy - This could actually be a 6-4 or 5-5 based on the new patch but I have not had a chance to play bane since.
Maybe not THAT bad for Bane! I definitely feel it's Shazam's favor though.

Hawk girl 3-7
-This is a hilarious matchup because its like tom and jerry. We are tom and its just funny to try and catch tom with all the obstacles in the way.

I think you have to play this really strangely. Our fireball game is somewhat effective here, and it builds the meter you need to MB B3/F3 through her mace charge. Potentially tele through mace charge could work well too but idk if you can do it on reaction.

Green lantern 3-7 - GLs mixups plus his great spacing and zoning tools make this 3-7 for me.
This could honestly be a huge problem matchup. Gotta play it more.

- Ares' projectiles (mb and normal) with his trait makes this difficult for shazam. Ares has NO reason to even try to go in.
His projectile game isn't quite as scary as it seems at first. Once you get used to it, it's totally possible to duck all of his projectiles, and then block the MB ones on reaction. This could be 5/5 maybe?

Deathstroke 2-8
- Worst matchup by FAR. No answer to: low gunshot + mb, high gunshot + mb, ji3 and iags. A combination of these just obliterate shazam. You can't AT in, using teleport is stupid because you're asking to get hit out of it, and the sword spin on wakeup is safe esp with mb thus rendering a knockdown and the vortex useless.
2-8 is really pushing it, haha. I do definitely feel like it's one of Shazam's worst matchups though.

Batman 3-7
- bats bats bats bats bats and more bats. I HATE those bats! Batman is just too good. His pressure game is solid vs shazam and as we doesn't really have a solid AA it makes it too difficult. At full screen the bats, in combination with batarangs that can be MB and push back, make it tough. The random grapple with risk of mb just adds to the pain.
Shazam d2 can actually AA Batman j2 or trade a lot of the time. Teleport on reaction to his bats can work pretty well. Also you can pushblock his bats if he moves along with them and he loses his pressure. At least Shazam can get out of pressure with tele on wakeup pretty easily. Still probably Batman's advantage because "he's Batman."

Superman 3-7
- Just watch Rip vs EGP Wonder_Chef. Superman can run like a little b**ch with even the slightest health lead and zone away. The mb eyes that track don't help and they blow up teleport and AT completely.
Heyyyy I won! Shazam has a great backdash and d1 so he at least has options against the f23 xx breath pressure. I could have punished some of those air lasers with AT but I wasn't thinking. Still though Supes beats us at all points on the screen. Definitely Supes advantage.

NightWing (staff stance) 4-6
- one word (letter and number), d1
Also standing 1! I swear this is our worst match. I've been brainstorming and I can't figure out a single answer to this character with Shazam. I might just counterpick honestly.

Aquaman 3-7 - Aquaman plays off waking backwards. This is how SZ was in MK9 and hence why (i think) brady plays him today. My knowledge may be limited, but I have no idea how to get in without using a risky AT. After the patch, this MU, MAY, be a 4-6 but i've left it as 3-7 because it doesnt make too much of a difference for shazam.
I actually like this matchup a lot.

If the Aquaman just walks backwards, check him with a dash up > HM. That is my go to answer for that situation in all matchups, and it works great.

This makes it really dangerous to use stabs against Shazam:

Black Adam 3-7
- He has such strong punishes with such high damage and solid zoning that despite shazam being able to put up a solid fight, any wrong read and you're dead. This is in addition to black adams setups etc - when you get hit, you get hit hard.
Maybe slight Bladam favor but just slight. Air to air j.2 is really good vs Bladam. If he starts dive kicking a lot, do jump back j.3. He can't easily punish AT either. Honestly Shazam can deal with this match pretty well.

Sinestro 4-6
- Not only is his zoning so solid, but the stupid stupid stupid stupid claw on wakeup. Can someone explain why that hits on both sides? Blimin' heck!
I think it's 5-5. I can't believe Legend hit me with that wakeup when I was doing such a super deep crossup =[

Still though, Shazam has every tool he needs to get in and stay in. My matches with Legend were SUPER close. I bet it all in the end that one projectile would kill him, and when it didn't quite get him, I knew I had lost.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
wtf it keeps automatically screwing with my quoting in the last post.

I did it correctly and then it messed it up, so I went back in and fixed it and it automatically re-messed it up...

Shawi

Noob
wtf it keeps automatically screwing with my quoting in the last post.

I did it correctly and then it messed it up, so I went back in and fixed it and it automatically re-messed it up...
Yeah haha WTF is wrong with it! I know you beat Rip but that round where he just ran away kinda showed that if he new the matchup better he'd have the advantage. I'm gonna try and see if that mace change can be punished with the mercury storm although it comes out fast.

The thing with the DS matchup is that it reminds me of Ermac from MK. At full screen your opponent needs to dash block in as you try force push him away, then once at jump distance you can jump in and start pressure - same sort of thing for DS. It's his game to dictate.

RoGE

Noob
yeah at the very least the bane MU is 6-4, Shzam just needs to play really lame in this match up and frustrate Bane from full screen imo

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Grundy does NOT beat Shazam!
I honestly think that Grundy has the upper hand in the matchup. He has some crazy awesome reach (meaning he can punish psycho crusher) , can easily trade with any sort of lighting bolt on reaction (ex swamphands), then perform WC (or a WCC into another move if opponent jumps) right out of the vortex, and do I even need to talk about Grundy's amazing AA game?

7-3 in Grundy's favor.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Grundy does NOT beat Shazam!
I honestly think that Grundy has the upper hand in the matchup. He has some crazy awesome reach (meaning he can punish psycho crusher) , can easily trade with any sort of lighting bolt on reaction (ex swamphands), then perform WC (or a WCC into another move if opponent jumps) right out of the vortex, and do I even need to talk about Grundy's amazing AA game?

7-3 in Grundy's favor.
Have you played a Shazam with grundy? :confused:
Swamp hands is predictable as hell, his aromoured grab can be whiffed by B23, but not punished fortunately for Grundy, You could always tele it on reaction and full combo whiff punish.

You don't need to use bolts in this MU, AT keeps you at range advantage without being under risk of being grabbed unless it gets blocked, You can also AT through someone going to grab then combo punish. You can't grab us. Chain grab can be another story however.

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
Very accurate chart man. I agree with everything minus a few. I'd say supes is a worse matchup than batman, maybe 7-3. Or even a 5-5 with bats 6-4 supes. Also, thank you for not over estimating Dd, it any other match that takes a little work.

Good shit bro.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Have you played a Shazam with grundy? :confused:
Swamp hands is predictable as hell, his aromoured grab can be whiffed by B23, but not punished fortunately for Grundy, You could always tele it on reaction and full combo whiff punish.

You don't need to use bolts in this MU, AT keeps you at range advantage without being under risk of being grabbed unless it gets blocked, You can also AT through someone going to grab then combo punish. You can't grab us. Chain grab can be another story however.
Dude he is my secondary. I know how Shazam works perfectly fine. I even used him in tournament when my Grundy couldn't beat a Batman player. What you're basically saying is you can punish a Grundy who aimlessly throws out swamp hands and WC.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Dude he is my secondary. I know how Shazam works perfectly fine. I even used him in tournament when my Grundy couldn't beat a Batman player. What you're basically saying is you can punish a Grundy who aimlessly throws out swamp hands and WC.
I can beat most gundies, one of his easier match ups no doubt.
and i'm not talking about those ranked ones, talking about the people who play Grundy for a main and take the game seriously.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
You were at level 3 venom, yes? If so, that would be impossible unless you chose a move that isn't given venom properties.
At level 3 venom, your 11 frame overhead is projectile immune as well, by the by.
It's not 11 frames. It's in the 20-frame area.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Any ideas about Scorpion Vs. Shazam?

Anyone who would want to run sets sometime and see?
someone with both decent Shazam & Scorpion play so we can get two sides of the story.

XBL - ZigZagGamer95

Shawi

Noob
I think Shazam can really go toe to toe with Scorpion. Once he starts to respect that you can block the teleport and punish I think Shazam has the upper hand. AT is great to close distance and can be used to punish a whiffed teleport and hellfire. Hell even spear can be punished with a reversal AT.