What's new

Match-up Discussion My thoughts on the Shazam Matchup Chart.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
These are just my thoughts and are very Open to discussion, these are mainly based on my opinions so Do not criticize them.
It's still early to tell for sure but let's get a discussion off shall we :)

Bane 6-4
Hawk girl 4-6
Lex Luthor 5-5
Cyborg 5-5
Lobo 5-5
Flash 5-5
Grundy 6-4
Green lantern 4-6
Harley 5-5
Joker 5-5

Ares 5-5
Catwoman 5-5
Deathstroke 4-6
Batman 5-5
Superman 4-6
NightWing 5-5
Green Arrow 5-5
Raven 5-5
Wonder Woman 5-5

Aquaman 5-5
Black Adam 5-5
Doomsday 6-4
Killer Frost 4-6
Sinestro 3-7
Batgirl - 5-5
Scorpion - 5-5
General Zod - 4-6
Zantanna - 5-5
Martian Man Hunter - *Someone with some experience throw me a number*

We need more updates, I don't think many of his MU's if any will change due to the new patch but let's get number crunching!

He beats Aquaman. I am of the belief he beats Doomsday as well. He 5-5s Deathstroke now with the low gun nerf.

Aquaman gets full combo punished for attempting to mix you up and is forced to stop at b1,2 to remain safe. f1 string is capable of being interrupted except when done as a blockstring into scoop, which is punishable even moreso now after the patch. Zoning is not scary, d2 is good for AA against Shazam but Shazam never needs to jump unless he thinks the opponent will jump.

Doomsday is a 6-4. DD needs to push Shazam to the corner but now with the new teleport buff we can get out for free if we time a wakeup perfectly. Doomsday is not scary outside of the corner and he is very easily beaten with proper spacing.

Deathstroke used to shit all over Shazam's breakfast cereal but now they have to be smarter about their space. More backdashing less shooting. Swordflip is a great AA but you can bait it out if they want you away from them and full combo punish. Deathstroke's damage just can't keep up with Shazam's anymore, though Shazam bears the burden of getting in and getting holes plugged in his kneecaps and shoulders.

Batman is a pretty close 5-5. Once inside backdash will get past most of Batman's good offensive strings and force him to play much more safety reliant using bats to cover holes instead of fishing for full screen grapple confirms.

Loses to Harley slightly, her guns are very good at allowing her to build meter and tantrum being an invincible wakeup means if we guess wrong we eat 41% for no meter. She's really good at controlling the area we want to start dashing or teleporting and just stopping them in startup with guns. Popgun is a good use in the matchup since Shazam doesn't really have a good way to punish her from fullscreen and stop her from letting loose. Teleporting through it gets you tantrum'd so it's not wise to try. EX Popgun is ridic.

Black Adam shits all over Shazam. Potentially 2-8 to me. His backwards walkspeed is so good that he can continually chip you and walk himself into the corner, and as soon as you get him there and approach b2 range he can just jump and far dive kick out of the corner and continue walking backwards while chipping you. His trait is also great against Shazam since well, we have to eat that 12% if we're up close just to mix him up. And his wakeup cage beats all our options and is safe on block. Very tough matchup for Shazam.

There's more but that's just for now.

killa_solid

Friendly--foe
He beats Aquaman. I am of the belief he beats Doomsday as well. He 5-5s Deathstroke now with the low gun nerf.

Aquaman gets full combo punished for attempting to mix you up and is forced to stop at b1,2 to remain safe. f1 string is capable of being interrupted except when done as a blockstring into scoop, which is punishable even moreso now after the patch. Zoning is not scary, d2 is good for AA against Shazam but Shazam never needs to jump unless he thinks the opponent will jump.

Doomsday is a 6-4. DD needs to push Shazam to the corner but now with the new teleport buff we can get out for free if we time a wakeup perfectly. Doomsday is not scary outside of the corner and he is very easily beaten with proper spacing.

Deathstroke used to shit all over Shazam's breakfast cereal but now they have to be smarter about their space. More backdashing less shooting. Swordflip is a great AA but you can bait it out if they want you away from them and full combo punish. Deathstroke's damage just can't keep up with Shazam's anymore, though Shazam bears the burden of getting in and getting holes plugged in his kneecaps and shoulders.

Batman is a pretty close 5-5. Once inside backdash will get past most of Batman's good offensive strings and force him to play much more safety reliant using bats to cover holes instead of fishing for full screen grapple confirms.

Loses to Harley slightly, her guns are very good at allowing her to build meter and tantrum being an invincible wakeup means if we guess wrong we eat 41% for no meter. She's really good at controlling the area we want to start dashing or teleporting and just stopping them in startup with guns. Popgun is a good use in the matchup since Shazam doesn't really have a good way to punish her from fullscreen and stop her from letting loose. Teleporting through it gets you tantrum'd so it's not wise to try. EX Popgun is ridic.

Black Adam shits all over Shazam. Potentially 2-8 to me. His backwards walkspeed is so good that he can continually chip you and walk himself into the corner, and as soon as you get him there and approach b2 range he can just jump and far dive kick out of the corner and continue walking backwards while chipping you. His trait is also great against Shazam since well, we have to eat that 12% if we're up close just to mix him up. And his wakeup cage beats all our options and is safe on block. Very tough matchup for Shazam.

There's more but that's just for now.
Black Adam cannot punish torpedo if spaced correctly. Learn the distance and abuse it to get in on him for free. You can also use the tele on wake up tech to punish his cage as a wakeup and chase down his back dash in one move. It's a 5/5 mu imo.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I can accept everything but this, Batman is not 5-5.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Anyone have any MU experience with Joker, I get very little tbh, I play some real good Jokers and lose but that's only because i've had very little experience not because of the MU itself.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Why is Shazam VS Harley Quinn 4-6 in Harley's favor?
I thought 5-5, someone else seemed to argue the fact with her guns, I can kind of get that as she does create a problem for shazam at full screen with them and builds alot of meter.

Wasn't earlier so I assume OP is updating as reasonings are given. I posted up there with this tidbit on the harley matchup.4

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
Wrong thread. ;)

He's a potato to anyone with decent projectiles at full screen.
Zoners give him a really hard time I'll agree. But you can't really count out that vortex. The wake up teleport evens out a lot of match ups I feel like he didn't win before though. I like the the fact that you gave him some 6-4s. This character has so much potential. I can't wait to see how people play him in a few months.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Zoners give him a really hard time I'll agree. But you can't really count out that vortex. The wake up teleport evens out a lot of match ups I feel like he didn't win before though. I like the the fact that you gave him some 6-4s. This character has so much potential. I can't wait to see how people play him in a few months.
The buffed tele on wakeup helps ALOT especially on zoners.
He does have some if only a small amount of 6-4's I believe, But unfortunately for now not many he could have more if he is buffed a tad bit more, There's a fair few people picking up Shazam now he does have potential.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
You know I think he loses the DS matchup, not at all because of the zoning, but because he just doesn't have an answer for J3.

The only other match that I HATE is Nightwing. I think that might be Shazam's worst matchup.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
You know I think he loses the DS matchup, not at all because of the zoning, but because he just doesn't have an answer for J3.

The only other match that I HATE is Nightwing. I think that might be Shazam's worst matchup.
Only in staff form, if he's using the Escrima I find it's in Shazams favour, extremely easy, but once he puts that staff together it's almost impossible to land anything.

J3? Whiff punish it with f22 or d3. Space yourself so it won't hit. Backdash even, just don't deal with the move at all. Not worth your time you're going to lose all the time. Luckily the game has ridiculous trip guard so if a Stroke just jumpin at you or neutral jumping just whiff punish him. B2 f22 d3 bf2 all good whiff punishers for whiffed jump attacks.

Nightwing is indeed a problem matchup. Though to what extent I am not entirely sure yet.

Sinestro is 6-4 unless I can find a ton of shit to throw at him on the stage to help me get in.

When you get knocked down, what options do you have that beat out b.1 anything?
Wakeup Teleport is now invulnerable so we don't have to deal with the Bane game.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Wakeup Teleport is now invulnerable so we don't have to deal with the Bane game.
Look into the Aug tech.
Our b.1 leaves you in front of us and facing away, meaning we get to freely punish you. Its some weird framing, but it works.

By Big_Aug himself in the "Dirty Venom" topic, page 3.

A well timed B1 on a teleport wake up results in the other player "teleporting" right in front of you facing the opposite direction. You can follow the B1 with any special. I imagine it's going to mess with their inputs at first for sure since they aren't where they think they are going to be. You could possibly full combo here if you want to do a standing 1 string.

The good thing is that a b1 stuffs all of Ares' other wake ups. I believe the same is true for Shazam. So it doesn't matter what they do on wake up. You can hit a b1 and then use the advantage for a command grab. I believe the timing is going to be the same no matter what they do.

You aren't actually linking the B1 and command grab. There is a delay there, so if you see them back dash you don't have to whiff your special.
Its not a 6-4 in your favor, and we have it as 6-4 in our favor because of this new tech. Wanna settle on a 5-5?