What's new

General/Other My thoughts on Deathstroke

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Hey everyone, jonnitti here. Some of you may have seen me on Jaxel's stream at the break, especially from second week when i frauded it out to winner's finals lol. But anyways, I have been playing Deathstroke since the game first dropped and always played strictly him. I wanted to make double sure that post patch it was worth dropping a character that i feel fit my playstyle so well. After labbing it up a bit I came to the conclusion that Deathstroke is still one of the better characters in the game.

I'd like to preface that i don't think I'm a very good player. I think I have the mind to be a decent player but overall, i have dogshit reactions and yomi. I also lack matchup experience and I'm not the greatest at blocking mixups, but I understand the character well enough to have a strong opinion on him.

Here is my reasoning.

1. His zoning game is still really good - lets face it, his guns are still really useful. you just have to mix in high guns with low guns now that low guns are a lot more negative on block. high guns i always think of as the "stop moving" button since it will catch the startup of both dashes and jumps. also the assault riffle i think is very under rated. the assault riffle kind of covers both air air and ground at the same time. since it stays out there longer, it can catch people on their way down if the end up jumping. and as we all know, getting hit by any guns in the air causes a lot of pushback. blocking the grenade on the MB version gives pushback. i personally like to use it to push characters out of the range where they can punish low guns. i also feel that even in matches where low guns are punishable, guns are still really effectives (with the exception of the flash). you have to make them want to do shit. be content with chilling out and waiting for them to do the first move and remember high guns do stop people form moving if you can read them going for dashes. and if you're reactions aren't dogshit like mine you can react to jumps and airguns or if your excution isnt dogshit like mine you can iAG then on their way down. and also remember that any character that can punish your guns from 3/4 distance on can also have their shit punished by high guns at least. flash and batgirl for example get a 323 punish. killer frost slide you're going to have to hold that but icebergs you can get high guns. against characters that will inevitably get in (like batman), just take your chip where you can and when they get to a range that is scary (usually outside of the range that they can punish low guns) try to make a read on how they approach you. you're options are they jump at you (jb3) they dash up and push buttons (block, jb3, MB B/F3 all work in some of these situations), they wait to see what you do or they do some character specific stuff (slides, batman trait, command grab). also keep in mind all guns can't be wagered if they aren't combo'd into.

2. His meter isn't really needed for combos - and it's fucking awesome. you can still do a lot of damage without meter and you can save your meter to use MB B3s and MB F3s and use it in zoning or for push blocking.

3. Da F3 of da godz - honestly this move is pretty cheap. it's +10 like a lot of F3s but what makes this one different from everyone else's is that it moves him forward, so he doesn't have to dash in for a mixup after its blocked. there he has access to b2 (i13) and b1u2 (i16) for a low overhead mixup, ji3 to try to catch a backdash, do another one (why not?), do nothing, grab, the list goes on. thats pretty fucking plus. also it anti airs which is awesome and since it launches you can juggle ji2 123 to set up the flying ninja vortex that was posted in here before.

4. His pressure can be pretty annoying to deal with - f23 (i7) is +9. also his ji3 on block gives him the ability to go for the low/overhead mixup i discussed before, just be careful using it since d2s are a lot better (when i go for the ballsier jump ins i usually go for ji1 since it has a weird hitbox, i wouldn't recommend doing it a lot but it beats out some d2s, food for thought). it can get to the point wher eint he corner you can kind of just throw around b1u2, f23, f3, b22 xx spin and throw. that can get pretty tough to deal with sometimes.

5. He has great mobility - and honestly because of that, i think hes one of the best zoners (i dont think his actual zoning is the best but i feel like as an overall character hes better than most of them). he has the ability to move around the stage better than the rest of them. he's able to create distance with backdashes relatively well and while jumping back, he has good answers in jb3 and air guns. his jump arc is really nice (you used to be able to jump out of f23 breath when it was +1 and jb3 if you delayed the 3as long as you blocked breath standing). most of the zoners in the cast have goofy jump arcs, walk even slower and have shittier dashes. this makes him much harder to deal with because it lets him transition into a pressure game easier if the player wants to switch styles.

6. He can switch form zoning to pressure easily - like i said before his mobility makes it easy to switch from a pressure style to a zoning style and vice versa, but more importantly, his combo enders let him do that even more so. ending with sword spin in the corner can open up more optoins because you are at advantage and your opponent can't wake up. ending with 123 or landing b222 sets up flying ninja vortext. pizza cutter ender gives you the option to back up, go ham or get guaranteed chip on character it works on (pretty much batgirl, superman with super, the flash and shit like that).

7. He is the king of interactables - this is really where Deathstroke shines. this is also where everything comes full circle. I have found things with related to interactables that make him stronger in all of wht i discussed before.
  • point 1. he can shoot people out of interactables and as a gadget character, the bombs comber a very nice area that at leasts stops people from moving. also since all interactables give hard knockdowns you can dash away or go for guaranteed chip
  • point 2. since his meter isn't used for combos, you can use them to MB interactables.
  • point 3. interactables all give hard knocdowns so you can start playign with crossup F3. not really that big of a deal but you can consider it
  • point 4. interactables can play in with pressure because they all give hard knowdowns. and hard knockdowns are obviously really important with starting pressure
  • point 5. this is where him as a gadget character really shines. he can get out of corners really easily on some stages, he can blow up things and jump away. most of where power characters get their huge damage interactabls (which i believe all the over zoners that i can think of are power characters), deathstroke trades that for being able to get the fuck out of places and creat distance. i approve of that.
  • point 6. theres goofy setup with corner interactables that i found. if you land crossup f3 go for a corner interactable. you will jump away and you will get a really long hard knockdown and be full screen away. a really interesting way to change from pressure to zoning.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
he wasn't that OP before he got nerfed, he should get some of that back on his zonning.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
he wasn't that OP before he got nerfed, he should get some of that back on his zonning.

i dont think he necessarily needs it. i dont think he was OP before (i actually dont really think anyone is OP per say but there are a few retarded things here and there), but certainly a top 5 contender. i think you just need to use your guns differently now

Axel_Redd

the problem is, 1 blocked guns and everyones pretty much in your face, that shouldn't be the case. It might be acceptable if his trait was useable, kinda like sinestro, and not only that, sinestro gets full combo's off his zoning so its understandable that its super negative on block.

death stroke cant full combo with his zonning so its not that serious. The other problem is that DS has tools in his arsenal that are completely worthless,his rifle shots and his trait.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Godlike. This is a stellar writeup, and almost perfect. The only thing I'd have said differently is that he doesn't really have great mobility, since his dashes are middling (and his backdash is pretty poor in particular) and he has no effective tools for covering forward space outside of dash and jump. I think his mobility looks better than it truly is because of how hard it is to move against DS, with people having to try not getting caught with quick fire or a sword flip at all times.

You're the man, Nitti.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
the problem is, 1 blocked guns and everyones pretty much in your face, that shouldn't be the case. It might be acceptable if his trait was useable, kinda like sinestro, and not only that, sinestro gets full combo's off his zoning so its understandable that its super negative on block.

death stroke cant full combo with his zonning so its not that serious. The other problem is that DS has tools in his arsenal that are completely worthless,his rifle shots and his trait.

i have found uses for riffle like i said before. his trait is uselss ill give you that. the thing about DS zoning that makes it so good is that it is for the most part instant. think of is guns more so as something like dhalsim stretchy arms instead of projectiles. also a lot of characters will get popped with high guns if they try to dash after blocking low guns. deathstroke is more of a "get the life lead and then be annoying" character than a damaging character.

Crathen

Death is my business
He's still very good , no one doubts it , with the finds of safejumps , hdk that fucks up many characters wakeup game , nice 50/50 mixups , SF anti air , guns space control and such he will never be a low tier per se.

This character has to be one of the most balanced in the cast , he's pretty much on DD level , he has good things but he doesn't have ( anymore ) bullshit that polarizes matchups , pre patch low gunshot fucked up many characters it wasn't even funny , the recovery on whiff was better , LGS was -15 point blank and -6 fullscreen , he had anti dash setups with guns , air gunshots were very hard to punish on whiff.

He was OP and only certain top tiers could hang with him.

His damage is pretty fair ( although mediocre for what other characters get with one bar or even meterless ) for what he does and he isn't meter dependent for combos , only aspect of him i think it could be better is the trait , i'd either change what he gets for activating it or increase it VERY slightly ( 10 - 15 frame MAX ) and i'd like to see his 32 string hitbox not whiff at max range and that's it ,some people asked for SS to be + frames on hit disregarding the gravity scaling but imo that would only create another batgirl-like bullshit character always setting up 50/50 , others asked for better recovery on LGS and QS and i honestly don't think he needs that anymore , maybe chip dmg up to 1% per bullet instead of 0.69 for better meter building.

On my potential "tier list" he's either #10 or just outside it , but ATM i really think he's outshined by characters with some overwhelming tools( Batgirl , Flash , Black Adam , Superman , WW , Batman , GL , Aquaman , KF ) , and even then not by much.

Crathen

Death is my business
whats his safe jump again? also whats hdk?

Safejumps are character depending ( wakeup depending ) , mostly are with d2xxSF combo ender but there also are from 23 enders or 12xxSF , HKD = hard knockdowns ( opponent cannot techroll them ).

DS as of now has to adapt different strategies in lots of MU and as a player you must know every little detail on the wakeup game setups , gunshots spacing , when and where to SF AA , when to use AR and so on , he certainly isn't a braindead character anymore and i enjoy that.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
On my potential "tier list" he's either #10 or just outside it , but ATM i really think he's outshined by characters with some overwhelming tools( Batgirl , Flash , Black Adam , Superman , WW , Batman , GL , Aquaman , KF ) , and even then not by much.

i think i might like him over batgirl or KF. the problem i see with KF is that she seems to have a hard time dealing with zoning from what i can tell. even though she can punish things, if you can get her to want to do shit, dash forward, jump and airdash, slide or just something she can have a hard time with it, and batgirl also has the same issue. only batgirl's vortex is way less damaging than KF's and KF has a slide while Batgirl has bola. i find them to be both very similar characters in a way. im not afraid of either of them as DS. i think hes around as good as they are but obviously since i'm biased im going to say i think DS is a little better :p. against both these characters i like to sit back and do nothing and wait for the m to do something before i start shooting.

Axel_Redd

Safejumps are character depending ( wakeup depending ) , mostly are with d2xxSF combo ender but there also are from 23 enders or 12xxSF , HKD = hard knockdowns ( opponent cannot techroll them ).

DS as of now has to adapt different strategies in lots of MU and as a player you must know every little detail on the wakeup game setups , gunshots spacing , when and where to SF AA , when to use AR and so on , he certainly isn't a braindead character anymore and i enjoy that.
whats AR? and thx for the set ups but, how do u actually perform the Safe jumps? what do u use to do it? is it j3? tell me if im wrong, but is the idea to jump in and hitting the jump 3 at just the right time so that, if your oponent just blocks, ur safe, if they wake up you can block, and if they get hit u get a combo?

drywall

Noob
AR is probably assault rifle. You get setups after all of his hard knockdowns. At the very least you get 2 dashes in, after that it gets specific to the wakeup options of your opponent.

Crathen

Death is my business
whats AR? and thx for the set ups but, how do u actually perform the Safe jumps? what do u use to do it? is it j3? tell me if im wrong, but is the idea to jump in and hitting the jump 3 at just the right time so that, if your oponent just blocks, ur safe, if they wake up you can block, and if they get hit u get a combo?

http://testyourmight.com/threads/deathstroke-new-d2-discussion.35050/page-3#post-1030508 you post the same question like the post below it lol ( and yes you got it right that's a safejump ) , yeah AR is assault rifle or MG whatever you wanna call it

Hey everyone, jonnitti here. Some of you may have seen me on Jaxel's stream at the break, especially from second week when i frauded it out to winner's finals lol. But anyways, I have been playing Deathstroke since the game first dropped and always played strictly him. I wanted to make double sure that post patch it was worth dropping a character that i feel fit my playstyle so well. After labbing it up a bit I came to the conclusion that Deathstroke is still one of the better characters in the game.

I'd like to preface that i don't think I'm a very good player. I think I have the mind to be a decent player but overall, i have dogshit reactions and yomi. I also lack matchup experience and I'm not the greatest at blocking mixups, but I understand the character well enough to have a strong opinion on him.

Here is my reasoning.

1. His zoning game is still really good - lets face it, his guns are still really useful. you just have to mix in high guns with low guns now that low guns are a lot more negative on block. high guns i always think of as the "stop moving" button since it will catch the startup of both dashes and jumps. also the assault riffle i think is very under rated. the assault riffle kind of covers both air air and ground at the same time. since it stays out there longer, it can catch people on their way down if the end up jumping. and as we all know, getting hit by any guns in the air causes a lot of pushback. blocking the grenade on the MB version gives pushback. i personally like to use it to push characters out of the range where they can punish low guns. i also feel that even in matches where low guns are punishable, guns are still really effectives (with the exception of the flash). you have to make them want to do shit. be content with chilling out and waiting for them to do the first move and remember high guns do stop people form moving if you can read them going for dashes. and if you're reactions aren't dogshit like mine you can react to jumps and airguns or if your excution isnt dogshit like mine you can iAG then on their way down. and also remember that any character that can punish your guns from 3/4 distance on can also have their shit punished by high guns at least. flash and batgirl for example get a 323 punish. killer frost slide you're going to have to hold that but icebergs you can get high guns. against characters that will inevitably get in (like batman), just take your chip where you can and when they get to a range that is scary (usually outside of the range that they can punish low guns) try to make a read on how they approach you. you're options are they jump at you (jb3) they dash up and push buttons (block, jb3, MB B/F3 all work in some of these situations), they wait to see what you do or they do some character specific stuff (slides, batman trait, command grab). also keep in mind all guns can't be wagered if they aren't combo'd into.

2. His meter isn't really needed for combos - and it's fucking awesome. you can still do a lot of damage without meter and you can save your meter to use MB B3s and MB F3s and use it in zoning or for push blocking.

3. Da F3 of da godz - honestly this move is pretty cheap. it's +10 like a lot of F3s but what makes this one different from everyone else's is that it moves him forward, so he doesn't have to dash in for a mixup after its blocked. there he has access to b2 (i13) and b1u2 (i16) for a low overhead mixup, ji3 to try to catch a backdash, do another one (why not?), do nothing, grab, the list goes on. thats pretty fucking plus. also it anti airs which is awesome and since it launches you can juggle ji2 123 to set up the flying ninja vortex that was posted in here before.

4. His pressure can be pretty annoying to deal with - f23 (i7) is +9. also his ji3 on block gives him the ability to go for the low/overhead mixup i discussed before, just be careful using it since d2s are a lot better (when i go for the ballsier jump ins i usually go for ji1 since it has a weird hitbox, i wouldn't recommend doing it a lot but it beats out some d2s, food for thought). it can get to the point wher eint he corner you can kind of just throw around b1u2, f23, f3, b22 xx spin and throw. that can get pretty tough to deal with sometimes.

5. He has great mobility - and honestly because of that, i think hes one of the best zoners (i dont think his actual zoning is the best but i feel like as an overall character hes better than most of them). he has the ability to move around the stage better than the rest of them. he's able to create distance with backdashes relatively well and while jumping back, he has good answers in jb3 and air guns. his jump arc is really nice (you used to be able to jump out of f23 breath when it was +1 and jb3 if you delayed the 3as long as you blocked breath standing). most of the zoners in the cast have goofy jump arcs, walk even slower and have shittier dashes. this makes him much harder to deal with because it lets him transition into a pressure game easier if the player wants to switch styles.

6. He can switch form zoning to pressure easily - like i said before his mobility makes it easy to switch from a pressure style to a zoning style and vice versa, but more importantly, his combo enders let him do that even more so. ending with sword spin in the corner can open up more optoins because you are at advantage and your opponent can't wake up. ending with 123 or landing b222 sets up flying ninja vortext. pizza cutter ender gives you the option to back up, go ham or get guaranteed chip on character it works on (pretty much batgirl, superman with super, the flash and shit like that).

7. He is the king of interactables - this is really where Deathstroke shines. this is also where everything comes full circle. I have found things with related to interactables that make him stronger in all of wht i discussed before.
  • point 1. he can shoot people out of interactables and as a gadget character, the bombs comber a very nice area that at leasts stops people from moving. also since all interactables give hard knockdowns you can dash away or go for guaranteed chip
  • point 2. since his meter isn't used for combos, you can use them to MB interactables.
  • point 3. interactables all give hard knocdowns so you can start playign with crossup F3. not really that big of a deal but you can consider it
  • point 4. interactables can play in with pressure because they all give hard knowdowns. and hard knockdowns are obviously really important with starting pressure
  • point 5. this is where him as a gadget character really shines. he can get out of corners really easily on some stages, he can blow up things and jump away. most of where power characters get their huge damage interactabls (which i believe all the over zoners that i can think of are power characters), deathstroke trades that for being able to get the fuck out of places and creat distance. i approve of that.
  • point 6. theres goofy setup with corner interactables that i found. if you land crossup f3 go for a corner interactable. you will jump away and you will get a really long hard knockdown and be full screen away. a really interesting way to change from pressure to zoning.
great post, finally someone explains DS correctly, thank you!!!!

Axel_Redd

you can't end with sword spin in the corner btw, it might leave them standing but ur at a disadvantage and could probably even get punished for doing it.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
you can't end with sword spin in the corner btw, it might leave them standing but ur at a disadvantage and could probably even get punished for doing it.

you certainly cant get punished. you can block if they decide to push buttons that are faster than yours

Axel_Redd

yeah i just tested it out. its 0 on hit.
maybe on a grounded opponent, last i check tho, it is confirmed to be quite negative if u use sword spin on a long juggle, go ahead and ask in the other deathstroke thead, im sure they'll say the same thing.

Espio

Kokomo
This was really interesting and insightful, especially since I don't play the character and sometimes struggle dealing with his pressure.

I'd love to see breakdowns like these for every character :).

Breaker

~AKUMA~
He is a great fucking character my no matter who joins the roster Deathstroke will remain my favorite of all time, Deathstroke: The Terminator, just because of how badass he is how could I not.
But in reality you literally have to be in sync with the character 100% in order to be effective 100% of the time.

Fantastic post, good to see some Deathstroke love.