What's new

General/Other My thoughts on Deathstroke

G4S Silent Jay

I enjoy hurting you.
np dude. remember, high guns is more of the stop moving button than anything since it can catch the startup of dashes and jump arcs

Well, for jumps I try to go for iaQF, but it stopping dashes is always nice. I think my bigger issue comes in when he's just outside of b1u2/f3 range though.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Well, for jumps I try to go for iaQF, but it stopping dashes is always nice. I think my bigger issue comes in when he's just outside of b1u2/f3 range though.

yeah if he gets in that range he certainly wins. i wouldnt be that close to him unless hes in the corner

M2Dave

Zoning Master
And there goes the mentioning of what punishes DS's guns on block. Have you ever stopped to think what the guns punish on block themselves? Blocked Green Lanterns Might, Sinestro boulder, Raven grabs, Aquaman's From the Deep, etc. are ALL punished by quick fire. Does that make them useless moves?
Green Lantern's might is a 10F launcher. Raven's grab is 13F as long as she is in range. Aquaman's From The Deep is Freddy's EX spike but slightly slower and less safe. Your comparisons are atrocious, but Sinestro's boulder is too unsafe. Sinestro, in general, is too unsafe, which is why both Pig and Wound Cowboy have dropped the character for General Zod and Black Adam respectively.

Deathstroke is still a solid character. Probably around high mid tier at this point. But you fan boys in this forum have to admit that the low gunshots were "over-normalized". Deathstroke fell from the top 5 to mid tier for a reason.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
yeah he was "over normalized" but he is still a really good character. the fact that raven has dogshit answers to rushdown and doesnt do very well outside of squeeze range makes the matchup pretty bearable IMO. Green lantern all his stuff from full screen is reactable to and lift is his only wake up option and does barely any damage if you armor through it so he kinda has to hold F3 on wakeup if you have meter. you at least get +10 on block and then mixups.

drywall

Noob
Deathstroke is still a solid character. Probably around high mid tier at this point. But you fan boys in this forum have to admit that the low gunshots were "over-normalized". Deathstroke fell from the top 5 to mid tier for a reason.
You didn't call us fools! :D Besides low shots, what else do you think needs to be changed on Deathstroke?

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Green Lantern's might is a 10F launcher. Raven's grab is 13F as long as she is in range. Aquaman's From The Deep is Freddy's EX spike but slightly slower and less safe. Your comparisons are atrocious, but Sinestro's boulder is too unsafe. Sinestro, in general, is too unsafe, which is why both Pig and Wound Cowboy have dropped the character for General Zod and Black Adam respectively.

Actually, GLM is a 10 frame launcher WITH meter. In comparison, DS's guns are safe, instant travel, decent chip damage projectiles WITH meter. You could argue that trait makes GLM a launcher for no meter, in which case DS gets a full screen instant travel unblockable.

Raven's grabs are launchers again ONLY with meter. Your comparisons here are just as "atrocious" in that sense. If they have to be meter burn moves, so does DS's.

I dont feel like going down the entire list of projectiles to compare it to, but you really do look at this game way too much from an "on paper" standard. It's pretty hard in practice to outzone a DS and punish EVERY single gun he throws out. As a result, he still remains to be one of the top keepaway characters.

And I get you hate the character now. You despise him, and wish for every DS player to abandon ship in favor of Superman or Black Adam, but must you constantly torment the community with your constant whining? You claim it's to "educate us fools." Who exactly are you "educating?" No DS player as far as I know has ever claimed him to be the best character in the game, even before his nerfs. We claim he's a solid character, and sell him as nothing more (and you openly admit that DS is solid as well). And why exactly are we "fools?" For adhering to a character we enjoy the playstyle of instead of tier whoring and putting other character communities down? I don't see why you don't rip on the Shazam or Harley Quinn community instead.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Actually, GLM is a 10 frame launcher WITH meter. In comparison, DS's guns are safe, instant travel, decent chip damage projectiles WITH meter. You could argue that trait makes GLM a launcher for no meter, in which case DS gets a full screen instant travel unblockable.
First of all, Deathstroke's trait is trash. Second of all, who cares whether GLM launches or not? If it were safe, it would be overpowered.

As much as I criticize Deathstroke and low gunshots, he is still my best character. The fact that he is still considered one of the top zoning characters says how mediocre zoning is in this game.

You didn't call us fools! :D Besides low shots, what else do you think needs to be changed on Deathstroke?
Nothing.

If low gun shots were safer by 5 frames, Deathstroke would be perfect in the current meta game.

Owerbart

I miss you
I feel Deathstroke is a pretty solid and high tier character mostly because I started using him after the 1.03 nerf. He has great normals, and guns are much more of a spacing tool rather than a zoning one.

Srryimwhte

RM PTH
M2Dave has some good points tho , Aquaman can really be bullshit when he does have a lifelead , if you try punishing his FTD with MB gunshot he can trait->crouch and punish the guns on whiff for 20% with 1 bar.

I find hilarious how NW can wingdings for 6% , Batman 3 something % with Batarangs ( 5% with EX with more guaranteed chip ) , BA 5-6% with EX lighting , Batgirl 6% chip with a safe 50/50 Cartwheel...yet DS does 1.30% chip with LGS and QF and do not guarante another LGS unless you hit a MB LGS fullscreen and you followup with a perfectly timed LGS when some of this other tools give KNOCKDOWNS on hit?

Why was that nerfed in the first place? Why they nerfed his meter building when he is forced to spend meter to not get punished for LGS in many matchups?

People argue that he's a monster upclose...he's not , or at least he's not bullshit like other top tiers. His damage is okayish , not GOOD, if i want to spend meter how much damage i can squeeze in a combo? 3-4% more? Man...He needs meter for LGS zoning , he needs meter for MB f3 , he needs meter for MB QF punishes and then he needs meter to clash...

And then i gotta read shit like Perfect Legend saying "oh sorry i think DS is top 5" , gtfo here...
i agree with this the major nerf in desthstrokes game wasnt the recovery you can get around it the major problem was the chip he lost as well as some of his meter building

Srryimwhte

RM PTH

dave you do know that deathstroke rapes green lantern probably 7-3 right

M2Dave

Zoning Master
i agree with this the major nerf in desthstrokes game wasnt the recovery you can get around it the major problem was the chip he lost as well as some of his meter building
The biggest issue IS the recovery. The chip damage and meter building reduction was a necessity, particularly in today's meta game. I would even support a damage reduction on the low gunshots (i.e., 2% per hit) as long as the recovery frames were kept the same. These nerfs would undoubtedly make Deathstroke worse, but his meta game would remain unchanged.

dave you do know that deathstroke rapes green lantern probably 7-3 right
You are in for a big surprise should you ever play a competent Green Lantern player. The match up is even now. It was 6:4 pre-patch.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
i felt like that match was pretty even throughout the entire game
I would argue that Deathstroke had an advantage pre-patch as Green Lantern was unable to forward dash blocked low gunshots into high gunshots full screen away. Lantern can obviously do so now, but he received an indirect nerf when NRS fixed the wake up system.

Green Lantern gets dominated anywhere on the screen but close and mid range, where he has a tremendous advantage because Deathstroke cannot play footsies against b+1.

Also, aside from Scorpion, Deathstroke is the only character in the game that cannot forward dash punish blocked b+1,3 xx close rocket.

Srryimwhte

RM PTH
The biggest issue IS the recovery. The chip damage and meter building reduction was a necessity, particularly in today's meta game. I would even support a damage reduction on the low gunshots (i.e., 2% per hit) as long as the recovery frames were kept the same. These nerfs would undoubtedly make Deathstroke worse, but his meta game would remain unchanged.

You are in for a big surprise should you ever play a competent Green Lantern player. The match up is even now. It was 6:4 pre-patch.
i play alot of them thank you if you score a knock down he cant get up with out problems i think you just want to shoot too much first and not for the right reason

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
I'm mildly horrified by agreeing with Dave.

Deathstroke does fine against GL when they're right in each other's faces, though. It's not "close range" where GL will mop him up, but rather "you can't do anything against b1 ha ha" range.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
I would argue that Deathstroke had an advantage pre-patch as Green Lantern was unable to forward dash blocked low gunshots into high gunshots full screen away. Lantern can obviously do so now, but he received an indirect nerf when NRS fixed the wake up system.

Green Lantern gets dominated anywhere on the screen but close and mid range, where he has a tremendous advantage because Deathstroke cannot play footsies against b+1.

Also, aside from Scorpion, Deathstroke is the only character in the game that cannot forward dash punish blocked b+1,3 xx close rocket.

i always though the point of playing against lantern was to keep him out of lift/b13 range. i don't know why being able to play footsies against him or not is really a big deal because it doesnt seem like many characters can.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
i always though the point of playing against lantern was to keep him out of lift/b13 range. i don't know why being able to play footsies against him or not is really a big deal because it doesnt seem like many characters can.
You are correct. Nobody can play footsies with Green Lantern, not even Superman.

My point is, ever since the low gunshots were normalized, playing footsies is a very important aspect of Deathstroke's game, but Green Lantern's b+1 and lift say "no, you cannot".