What's new

General/Other My thoughts on Deathstroke

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Anybody who stuck with him knew it. After the initial panic and a lot of players abandoned ship, the rest of us got back to work. I think this has possibly been one of the most productive and positive character forums overall, since all we have left is true loyalists who want to really show Deathstroke's capabilities. I wanted to make a list of commendable players for their dedication, discussion and lab time for the respect they deserve, but it's such a big list that I fear I'd leave some valuable and important people out - and everyone here who's stuck with DS deserves credit for their contribution. Respect.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Yeah DS is still great. I tried picking him up and he wasnt quite my style, but if he fits you and you do work you can get VERY far with him.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Anybody who stuck with him knew it. After the initial panic and a lot of players abandoned ship, the rest of us got back to work. I think this has possibly been one of the most productive and positive character forums overall, since all we have left is true loyalists who want to really show Deathstroke's capabilities. I wanted to make a list of commendable players for their dedication, discussion and lab time for the respect they deserve, but it's such a big list that I fear I'd leave some valuable and important people out - and everyone here who's stuck with DS deserves credit for their contribution. Respect.
I havent really checked the forums much since they were a mess after the initial patch haha. Most of my tech o either talked to you personally about or found out myself

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Deatstroke in this game got me into comics. I liked him, wanted to learn about him so I bought his comics and a bunch of others since. I now make weekly trips to the comic shop. In his honor I have even score his number #1 from 1991 and his first appearance in the New Teen Titans #2 from 1980.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Excellent post. All very true points.

DS's zoning is still one of the best in the game, there's no getting around it. He's not as good as Cyborg (fair since he takes home a more vicious melee game), and about even with Sinestro. He's still a better zoner than anyone else in the cast. Seriously, is there anyone you can claim has more efficient keepaway than DS? All his pistols come out and travel very quick, and you're right, MG is underrated (still not amazing though).

When it comes to meter, I most often find myself spending it on MB bounce moves. But since we dont really use meter in combos, DS combos are noticably weaker than characters who primarily use it though (like Superman and Green Lantern). Still, 30% free is nothing to laugh at. It's better than what some characters have *coughCyborgcough*

F3 is friggin messed up. I feel it's almost too good sometimes. Starts combos, massively positive on block, huge ass hitbox, free mixups, crosses up, good lord. You can just throw it out sometimes and be okay. This is Deathstroke's Superman punches.

Interactables are a blessing to DS (of course, on stages good for gadget characters). More interactables = better, that's why Ferris is so flippin amazing. DS has the freedom to throw interactables around while denying the opponent the same option.

yeah i just tested it out. its 0 on hit.

I would just like to confirm that it's only 0 on hit for standing opponents. If you end a juggle combo in the corner with this, you CAN (and I HAVE X_X) be punched before you recover.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
DS's zoning is still one of the best in the game, there's no getting around it. He's not as good as Cyborg (fair since he takes home a more vicious melee game), and about even with Sinestro. He's still a better zoner than anyone else in the cast. Seriously, is there anyone you can claim has more efficient keepaway than DS? All his pistols come out and travel very quick, and you're right, MG is underrated (still not amazing though).
There are some match ups in which both high and low gunshots are unusable. Characters like Raven and The Flash punish any one of Deathstroke's projectiles 3/4ths of the screen away and others like Aquaman and Martian Manhunter get guaranteed checks on block using From The Deep and Alien Pillar respectively, both of which also do more chip damage than low gunshots.

What efficient zoning!

This thread reeks of misinformation and fanaticism.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
There are some match ups in which both high and low gunshots are unusable. Characters like Raven and The Flash punish any one of Deathstroke's projectiles 3/4ths of the screen away and others like Aquaman and Martian Manhunter get guaranteed checks on block using From The Deep and Alien Pillar respectively, both of which also do more chip damage than low gunshots.

What efficient zoning!

Holy shit, you're dumb. Raven doesn't get a punish on quick shots, Flash can't punish from "3/4" screen and Aquaman's "free check" gets him shot in the fucking face for free. Get out.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Seriously, why are you here? You don't play this character any more, you don't know how to play this character, everyone knows you're wrong including the people who for some indescribable reason like you, and nobody asked for your horribly misinformed opinion. Pack it up and take your bitchy bullshit elsewhere.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Seriously, why are you here?
- Aquaman can play the From The Deep + trait activation when he has a solid life lead. If you try to punish with high gunshots, the second bullet is blocked and Aquaman gets yet another check.
- Flash punishes any one of Deathstroke's projectiles slightly further than half a screen away.
- Killer Frost punishes high and low gunshots anywhere on the screen.
- Martian Manhunter gets guaranteed checks using the Alien Pillar, which is safe full screen away.
- Raven can crouch and punish/whiff punish any one of Deathstroke's projectiles as long as she is in d,f+2's range.

There is a plethora of misinformation in this forum, and your fanaticism is part of the problem. I am here to educate fools like you.

Vagrant

Noob
He is one of the most balanced in igau.

Very solid tools and requires players to study every inch of every matchup to succeed at a high level. His frame trap mixup game is a bit overrated though. Some backdashes completely get out of it.

Success with DS is dependent on excelent reactions, reads, and a MASSIVE amount of matchup study. No f23 ing your way to victory ;)

drywall

Noob
m2dave is correct about the punish scenarios. DS' zoning is VERY reaction based while being able to punish alot of things. For example you can shoot superman out of the startup of any of his ground projectiles, just watch for when he pulls his face back. Then if he jump lasers you can punish with machine gun anywhere inside of full screen.

For once..... I wish he'd try to not call people he disagrees with fools or idiots....

Maybe not just "for once", I'd much rather it be "at all times", but it would be an improvement at least.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
In that sense, Flash can just about hurt any zoner. It's really not hard for him to close the gap on anyone with that lightning tackle. I'd like to see someone pick Zod and try to zone out a Flash.

All downsides to DS's projectiles you've mentioned are common flaws of projectiles themselves, not a DS exclusive. If you duck under a projectile you can whiff punish it? GEE, WHO WOULDA THUNK IT?

And there goes the mentioning of what punishes DS's guns on block. Have you ever stopped to think what the guns punish on block themselves? Blocked Green Lanterns Might, Sinestro boulder, Raven grabs, Aquaman's From the Deep, etc. are ALL punished by quick fire. Does that make them useless moves?

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog

What efficient zoning!

who gives a shit if they can punish deathstroke if deathstroke can punish them too?

Crathen

Death is my business
M2Dave has some good points tho , Aquaman can really be bullshit when he does have a lifelead , if you try punishing his FTD with MB gunshot he can trait->crouch and punish the guns on whiff for 20% with 1 bar.

I find hilarious how NW can wingdings for 6% , Batman 3 something % with Batarangs ( 5% with EX with more guaranteed chip ) , BA 5-6% with EX lighting , Batgirl 6% chip with a safe 50/50 Cartwheel...yet DS does 1.30% chip with LGS and QF and do not guarante another LGS unless you hit a MB LGS fullscreen and you followup with a perfectly timed LGS when some of this other tools give KNOCKDOWNS on hit?

Why was that nerfed in the first place? Why they nerfed his meter building when he is forced to spend meter to not get punished for LGS in many matchups?

People argue that he's a monster upclose...he's not , or at least he's not bullshit like other top tiers. His damage is okayish , not GOOD, if i want to spend meter how much damage i can squeeze in a combo? 3-4% more? Man...He needs meter for LGS zoning , he needs meter for MB f3 , he needs meter for MB QF punishes and then he needs meter to clash...

And then i gotta read shit like Perfect Legend saying "oh sorry i think DS is top 5" , gtfo here...

G4S Silent Jay

I enjoy hurting you.
And there goes the mentioning of what punishes DS's guns on block. Have you ever stopped to think what the guns punish on block themselves? Blocked Green Lanterns Might, Sinestro boulder, Raven grabs, Aquaman's From the Deep, etc. are ALL punished by quick fire. Does that make them useless moves?

Considering they're all much better moves and net way more damage AND chip than DS's guns on block, no, I think they're quite far from useless. Not to say they're completely useless, but in some match-ups, you can only use them as a really low-damage punish and can never actually use them to zone except for outside of 3/4 screen distance.

Not that it wasn't already easy to get passed DS's zoning pre-patch. Just annoying for people when they first jump into it.

who gives a shit if they can punish deathstroke if deathstroke can punish them too?
When your gunshots only nets you like, 6-16% damage as a punish (based on QF vs LGS and if you burn meter), yet you can take 20% for getting blocked anywhere 3/4 screen and closer for a bar. And then, as icing on the cake, you do even less chip damage... Yeah, I think it makes a big deal what can punish them.

Don't get me wrong, I love Deathstroke, and he's stay'd my main since Day 2. But I really don't think it's productive to pretend his gunshots are still awesome tools outside of a few match-ups. They're actually pretty average now from my experience.

I'm sorry, but what keeps DS even close to the Top 10 with characters like Supes, BA, KF, AM, Batman, GL, WW, DD, Flash, Nightwing, Batgirl, GA, or even Sinestro?

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
are you really complaining about 4% damage? you get 6-16% instead of like 8-20% but quick fire comes out 7 frames faster, can punish from spots where aquaman can't. in that match high guns stops him from doing this from outside of the range that he can punish.

I think KF, BG, GA, Sinsetrom, doomsday and deathstroke are all around the same in tier placement and any of them can be top 10 contenders. I do think at this point though KF and BG are kinda overrated though

G4S Silent Jay

I enjoy hurting you.
are you really complaining about 4% damage? you get 6-16% instead of like 8-20% but quick fire comes out 7 frames faster, can punish from spots where aquaman can't. in that match high guns stops him from doing this from outside of the range that he can punish.

I think KF, BG, GA, Sinsetrom, doomsday and deathstroke are all around the same in tier placement and any of them can be top 10 contenders. I do think at this point though KF and BG are kinda overrated though

Not complaining. Just trying to make a point that a mistake hurts a lot more for DS, than it would for Aquaman in that particular MU. And that's just shots vs FTD, and not even going into all of Aquaman's other crap I just hate dealing with personally.

And I wouldn't put DS too far outside of Top 10, I just don't think he has enough dirt to really get him in there. He has solid zoning and solid mix-up/runshdown tools, but nothing that really excels in any particular spot over other characters. I think that's why I like him so much though. Is that you have to use him differently based on MUs (unlike a lot of the Top-Tiers that just do what they do regardless) and that lets me go back and forth from zoning to rushdown. Which avoids me having to switch to Batman if I REALLY felt like changing things up. Now I let them pick another character, and blam. Now I play differently.

KF, definitely, but I think she never lost footing in top-10, but certainly fell out of top-5 in my personal opinion.

Again, I'm not trying to bash Slade, especially seeing as how he's my main AND one of my favorite DC characters. But his guns getting nerfed as hard as they did, without a doubt in my mind, hurt him more than some will let on and they're not as great of a tool as I get shit for constantly when it's usually from people unwilling to learn the MU, when as a DS player, I really need to try to understand every MU and how to play them just to not get slaughtered (such as the MU against Aquaman).

drywall

Noob
BG as in Batgirl? Batgirl has alot of tools which covers everything deathstroke wants to do. In addition to that she also has high damage, wakeups, antiairs, a better vortex and she can choose to play footsies or not. And to top it off her trait is useful for when you don't know what to do anymore and are just sitting in the corner crouch blocking. It is going to take a while for someone to really open up batgirl but I'm surprised people aren't crying for nerfs.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Not complaining. Just trying to make a point that a mistake hurts a lot more for DS, than it would for Aquaman in that particular MU. And that's just shots vs FTD, and not even going into all of Aquaman's other crap I just hate dealing with personally.

Aquaman aint all that hard to deal with. keep him out of range and use more high guns than low guns because it stops him from moving. if he does FTD into trait, MB assault riffle wastes all of the trait time.

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
Seriously, why are you here? You don't play this character any more, you don't know how to play this character, everyone knows you're wrong including the people who for some indescribable reason like you, and nobody asked for your horribly misinformed opinion. Pack it up and take your bitchy bullshit elsewhere.
^^^ All the recent crap in the Lobo forums, on topic to the thread yes DS is still pretty good even after the patch. The only reason what happened had happened is because casuals were complaining about spammers. I've messed around in the lab with DS and he has a fun play style just not as fun as my main. Though in a MU DS clearly takes the advantage because of his zoning capabilities. He even has a few tricks up close and a safe wake-up. Very solid character.

G4S Silent Jay

I enjoy hurting you.
Aquaman aint all that hard to deal with. keep him out of range and use more high guns than low guns because it stops him from moving. if he does FTD into trait, MB assault riffle wastes all of the trait time.

I'll keep that in mind the next time I play that MU. Thanks.