What's new

Match-up Discussion My Joker matchup chart

MMH definitely 6 4 based on the tools both have. Since MMH is great at zoning and counter zoning, he make it hard for joker to zone and for joker to get in. Also MMH's offensive/oki game is nasty and that will make it quite hard on joker. Also MMH's will do him well if joker tries to come in/ is good for MMH to keep joker in the corner. MMH's wakeups have to be respected, so that will stop up joker's offense unless he wants to get pushed back.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
MMH definitely 6 4 based on the tools both have. Since MMH is great at zoning and counter zoning, he make it hard for joker to zone and for joker to get in. Also MMH's offensive/oki game is nasty and that will make it quite hard on joker. Also MMH's will do him well if joker tries to come in/ is good for MMH to keep joker in the corner. MMH's wakeups have to be respected, so that will stop up joker's offense unless he wants to get pushed back.
Are you sure only 6 4?

Are you sure only 6 4?
I haven't played it much, i'm going off tools unfortunately because there is like no joker players barely (at least I haven't found any really and haven't seen almost any at the tournaments I've attended so far). 7 3? if MMH has a guaranteed way to escape joker's oki setups (especially those in the corner) then yeah. I'd need to play this matchup some though, I dnt know of a MMH who has played this matchup a lot, but there might be one.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I haven't played it much, i'm going off tools unfortunately because there is like no joker players barely (at least I haven't found any really and haven't seen almost any at the tournaments I've attended so far). 7 3? if MMH has a guaranteed way to escape joker's oki setups (especially those in the corner) then yeah. I'd need to play this matchup some though, I dnt know of a MMH who has played this matchup a lot, but there might be one.
youre not on xbl huh?

MrSoloLobo

I have a keen eye for all things broken.
I really dont think there any way joker raven is even. Raven dominates with soul crush and empty void. Joker will have trouble getting in. Its 4-6, my opinion of course.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Batman wins vs Joker 7-3.

Anyone saying diferent has no idea what a good keepaway Batman looks like. End of story.
I think you're being generous with that.

The reason people disagree is because it's almost even vs a rushdown Batman, which is how most play. A zoning Batman however... Oh god...

I had a chance to play this MU quite a bit Saturday, and while all that you say is true, Joker has ways around a lot of this stuff. For example, if I place close teeth on the ground, teleport no longer works (I can convert off of teeth even if you hit me with the teleport) and I recover fast enough to block your projectiles if you reacted to teeth (If you read teeth though I will get hit.). We can also hit you out of projectile startups on reaction (Except the MB spire). That said, you have ways to punish everything we do at full screen with a proper read and with the exception of teleporting into teeth, we don't punish you too hard for a bad read.

Due to the previous stuff I said, everything just becomes mindgames, similar to when playing against Raven actually. To stop me from getting in, you have to predict what I will do since I can punish you for guessing wrong or throwing stuff randomly. Similarly, I have to make sure that you can't read me, because otherwise I get blown up.

In close range, both characters have nasty oki games and trap set ups. However, while we also both have high/low mixups, MMH definitely gets more off of them than Joker does (Our highs tend to suck for the most part unless we already have teeth on the ground...). That said, Joker can make pretty much everything safe on block thanks to acid flower or can use blockstun to set up teeth traps. From my experience, it felt like MMH had to commit to his 50/50s since he doesn't seem able to hitconfirm his strings and was punishable if he guessed wrong. Is that the case or was my opponent messing up?

We also both have good wakeups, and both of us have ways around those wakeups. Your wakeup is a pain in the ass, but if I don't see MMH tech roll when I end a combo with teeth on him, I'm assuming the wakeup is coming and doing MB F3 for an armored near-unblockable. Joker's flower can sometimes get him out of your oki traps too, but if you modify your timing/spacing to accomodate for it then it isn't too much of a problem. I actually didn't think of trying to tech roll though.

All that said, I do agree with the 6-4 ratio because while it all feels pretty even, that changes the moment you hit your trait. Your trait makes you decimate us in mid range for as long as it's active, and mid range is usually a pretty good place for Joker to be.

insomnia_ftw

It's simple.. We normalize the superman.
Anyone have tips for approaching the Raven matchup? I have no idea how to deal with soul crush unless the person just throws it out so I can block it and dash in. Do I just slowly but surely move her into the corner?

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Anyone have tips for approaching the Raven matchup? I have no idea how to deal with soul crush unless the person just throws it out so I can block it and dash in. Do I just slowly but surely move her into the corner?
Full screen she can be tough like that. You need to treat her like you would any strong zoner- slowly work your way in, be patient, use gunshots wisely and mix in dash cancels, and any time you block a soul crush, get you dash(s) in. Once you're in her face, she struggles alot more. She has some safe strings and can cross up with her j3 (I think). She has shit for wakeups, so once you knock her down, go ham- there isn't much she can do about it.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Raven is 6-4, ive played @zaff The Slaj Jazz AK Glass_Sword and Zoidberg747

gunshot is a free dash, she can't do anything to punish it unless you dash in her face.

After everything she does in demon mode you get a free gunshot check, if reflected just jump forward.

Abuse J3 and 212 teeth and D2 very much, her wakeups are sub-par and her mobility is not the greatest.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
whats giving you trouble?
I don't know his strings, but it's a 3 hit string that when blocked gives him a free trait grab. Also I stopped playing for two months, but I've noticed that you can't parry his trait grab at all anymore. And he has a really good D2 too.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I don't know his strings, but it's a 3 hit string that when blocked gives him a free trait grab. Also I stopped playing for two months, but I've noticed that you can't parry his trait grab at all anymore. And he has a really good D2 too.
you can backdash or neutral jump and punish the grab, its not guaranteed off of anything on block.

his d2 is shit vs j3

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
you can backdash or neutral jump and punish the grab, its not guaranteed off of anything on block.

his d2 is shit vs j3
What about his air grab? I played a set with a nice Grundy earlier in the week that made me Jump In attacks non existent. It could be the online affecting me too.
Any how the neutral jump does work, when I back dashed he was doing an armored grab.
Thanks for the tips though.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
What about his air grab? I played a set with a nice Grundy earlier in the week that made me Jump In attacks non existent. It could be the online affecting me too.
Any how the neutral jump does work, when I back dashed he was doing an armored grab.
Thanks for the tips though.
early j3 will never be anti aired if the opponent is not expecting it, ive caught doomsdays, grundies, aquamen, sinestros off guard with it both off and online
if you always backdash or jump he can do MB cleaver for a combo, its a mixup