What's new

Mortal Kombat Movie Release Date: April 16, 2021

After lots of rumoring, various delays, and years' worth of hopes and expectations, the time is finally upon us -- the upcoming Mortal Kombat movie has a release date: April 16, 2021.

The producer, Todd Garner of Broken Road Productions, tweeted the date on Monday afternoon, along with a note to expect a trailer early in 2021. Release is set for both theatres and HBO MAX.

Comments

She sorta was in her incredibly light skinned MK9 render and she's been race swapped to asian in Annihilation but now?
Yeah people would not like it.
You are completely right, but when MKA was released the racial discussion wasn’t really going on and internet wasnt as accessible as it is now. But absolutely hated that asian Jade as i hated asian Kitana/Mileena on MK11. All those are not the characters i’ve first met and liked.
They also turned Tanya’s skin to a very light one on MKX story, but fixed it when she got released as a DLC.
Well, anyway... this movie is gonna suck anyways and i am happy Kitana is not part of it (and won’t be, cause i’m sure they won’t make a 2nd one cause this might flop hard).

btw, that Mileena looks like a 2-arm sheeva lol

Well I don’t mind in the slightest, and this is coming from someone who adored her look in Legacy but am happy to see another interpretation.

Plus this girl is simply stunning; I’d consider the monstrous razor fangs and inevitable disembowelment a worthwhile trade off if she ever planned to seduce and devour me for Outworld’s gain... sigh, if only :rolleyes:

View attachment 18010
whew she could play liu kang and i would not give a damn

Those posters and characters look awesome. Even though this movie was kind of promoted badly, I'm still pretty excited for it mainly just for the fact I've wanted another movie since watching annihilation.

I've had fun watching the older films as a kid so I didn't really pay much attention of how bad they were.

Loving those animated posters now they've all been unveiled (think only half of them were there earlier when I first checked). Damn, Shang looks great (though I feel like I'm cheating on Tagawa :oops:), Sub Zero and Scorpion looked absolutely excellent, Mileena can have my plump juicy intestines for breakfast tomorrow (I'll baste up my belly right now if she'll eat me any sooner) and even the goody-gang all looked suitably impressive.

And I second Pizza's post, give me that Sonya and Jax in MK11!!!! Really hope if the movie's good there's tie-in DLC of some kind, would be such a wasted opportunity if there isn't.

Looking forward to the trailer tomorrow :laughing:

You are completely right, but when MKA was released the racial discussion wasn’t really going on and internet wasnt as accessible as it is now. But absolutely hated that asian Jade as i hated asian Kitana/Mileena on MK11. All those are not the characters i’ve first met and liked.
They also turned Tanya’s skin to a very light one on MKX story, but fixed it when she got released as a DLC.
Well, anyway... this movie is gonna suck anyways and i am happy Kitana is not part of it (and won’t be, cause i’m sure they won’t make a 2nd one cause this might flop hard).

btw, that Mileena looks like a 2-arm sheeva lol
Personally I think asian Kitana looks better than whatever the fuck MK9 was going for.

I am also happy Kitana is not part of it but that's more because I'm starting to like Kitana less and less as the years go by.

I think the costumes (what precious little we can see of them) look pretty good except for Kano and Mileena. The actor for Kano looks fine, but his most important feature, his cybernetic eye, looks really bad and lazily done. Also, while the actress for Mileena is attractive, I just don't think she's a good fit lookswise for Mileena, and would make a much better Jade instead.

Regardless, this movie is going to be a heaping pile of garbage, so it's not like much of value is being lost. I'd say the thing I'm most interested in is seeing whether or not it's better or worse than MK: Armageddon. Looking forward to laughing at Cole.

I hope the ice guy does something with his ice power, and that the Asian guy hits that other Asian guy with that thing he does.
And then that hot chick takes a shower with that weird chick.

I'll be honest, I'm not that hyped about it but of course I'll watch it when it comes out.

I do find that it's awesome that Hiroyuki Sanada (who's pretty awesome) is playing Scorpion & Lewis Tan who played The Drunken Master, Zhou Cheng in Iron Fist are both in it. I find it funny that Hogun of the Warriors Three from the Thor movies is playing Raiden & Mehcad Brooks who plays James Olsen in Supergirl is Jax.

Bro, it's hollywood, they make EVERYONE black, totally giving the finger to Hispanic, Asian, Indian, Arabic, and Native actors.

Jimmy Olsen? Black.
Heimdall? Black.
Hawkman? Black
Hawkgirl? Black
Valkyrie? Black
Deadshot? Black
Perry White? Black
Iris West? Black
Wally West? Black
Black Canary? Black
The Little Mermaid? Black
Annie? Black
Electro? Black
Gunslinger? Black
Black Adam? Black
Mary Jane Watson? Black
Human Torch? Black

And these are just the main characters. I have a handful of PoC actor friends here in LA who aren't black and they just love seeing every role given to other people. My British friends who've never been to America think we have WAY more black people in America than we really do because of movies and tv shows and the casting. [Also, the guy who plays Jax in this upcoming movie is the one who plays current Jimmy Olsen... lollllllllllll] Personally I don't care, but it DOES suck for other PoC, they're totally getting shafted.

Last edited:
Bro, it's hollywood, they make EVERYONE black, totally giving the finger to Hispanic, Asian, Indian, Arabic, and Native actors.

Jimmy Olsen? Black.
Heimdall? Black.
Hawkman? Black
Hawkgirl? Black
Valkyrie? Black
Deadshot? Black
Perry White? Black
Iris West? Black
Wally West? Black
Black Canary? Black
The Little Mermaid? Black
Annie? Black
Electro? Black
Gunslinger? Black
Black Adam? Black
Mary Jane Watson? Black
Human Torch? Black

And these are just the main characters. I have a handful of PoC actor friends here in LA who aren't black and they just love seeing every role given to other people. My British friends who've never been to America think we have WAY more black people in America than we really do because of movies and tv shows and the casting. [Also, the guy who plays Jax in this upcoming movie is the one who plays current Jimmy Olsen... lollllllllllll] Personally I don't care, but it DOES suck for other PoC, they're totally getting shafted.
Yeah clearly Zoe Saldana and Michael Peña, Benicio Del Toro etc. can't get any roles.

Raiden seems kinda meh, so that's a shame. Hopefully he's got a cool scene somewhere.
Based on the posters Shang Tsung looks legit cool af. Mileena is a big question mark regarding why they didn't bother with her teeth.

Based on the tv spot the masks on Scorpion and Sub look hilariously large, which makes it weird for me. The dialogue so far seems pretty weak too.

Raiden seems kinda meh, so that's a shame. Hopefully he's got a cool scene somewhere.
Based on the posters Shang Tsung looks legit cool af. Mileena is a big question mark regarding why they didn't bother with her teeth.

Based on the tv spot the masks on Scorpion and Sub look hilariously large, which makes it weird for me. The dialogue so far seems pretty weak too.
It’s a tv spot, some of the dialogue may not even make it in, just like with Rogue One. Already Sonya’s “invitation” dialogue has proven to be different from the HBO Max teaser.

As for the masks, they look fine to me, but that may be because I’m still haunted by the ridiculously enormous thing hanging off Rain’s face in Conquest:

They shouldn’t be calling that a trailer. It’s a teaser...and it’s not really good to be honest. It feels low budget.

There was the trailer in Russian, but it got taken down. It looks ridiculously good, I'll just Say that. Also there are more caractere than show previously.