What's new

Mortal Kombat 9 General Discussion & Survey Inside

Solo

Shadow Priest
"Do you think this gamewill bring MK back on the map?
MK has been back on the map since MKDC and MKSM, MK9 being 2D again will only increase that...so is MK on the map? Is the sky blue on a sunny day? Yep"

......Wow, have been dreaming or hallucinating???
If MK9's first appearance don't impress anyone, then no. A lot people will buy MK9 for 2 reasons MKDC and 2D.

MKDC because MKDC wasn't bad and MK caught their attention.(Like me)
2D A lot old school will either come back and give MK another chance.

That's just my opinion.

All depends on the game play, how balance the game is, and believe it or not, online.

When the game is release people WILL make it their goal to expose MK9.

AC1984

Kaballin!
MK9 looks very nice and very impressive IMO, Shaolin Monks was an adventure game so I don`t even know what that has to do with the regular MK games...I agree that some of the usual MK fans got hooked but the game's main target were new fans...For DC i have nothing to say...My personal top worse MK game ever....The bottom line is that MK hasn't been on the map since 1997...when things blew up completely. Nowadays a lot of the fans don't even play the game...they just like the story and the art of it....For the rest who play mk games, the new-generation mk games are simply not enough challenging to give up time and learn.
I spent 30 min. playing Armageddon and that was even more than enough...i ended up playing the racing game and UMK3 as a bonus to the game.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
When I said back on the map I meant "really have it recognized like a SF game"... and I believe MK9 might do that. I do not think MK's gotta the attention it deserves for a while. MKA imo was crap... I hated the aerial kombat and the fatalities were the dumbest shit ever.

MK9... is also in the hands of WB, and therefore I believe it'll get the attention it deserves.

AC1984

Kaballin!
Storms, Amen. That's exactly what i meant by saying "on the map"...it doesn't have to be big as SF4 ( cause imo one good game is not gonna accomplish that, there must be at least 2-3 good games in a row to keep the fans wanting more and more), but at least some good recognition.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
To each his own I guess, MKDC to me was far better and playable then the 3D MK's (which had tons of infinites, glitches etc) reason why I say this is because I'm an overall MK player(not just 2D or just 3D) I play them all lol, the 3D games are fun in a way but have nothing on the classic MK's....MKSM was good in it's own right and an adventure game but reason why some people think MK9 has some MKSM-isque elements to it, such as the faster paced combos. Some shots I can't tell it might be the storyline mode but it's tough since it's so fast.

The 2D fighting clips were obvious though like Sektor vs. Mileena and Subby vs. Cage.

But yeah just saying MK was back technically on the map with Deadly Alliance being better then MK4 and selling better as well via the home ports(just about every game is except maybe MKD and MKA) even though I'd rather play MK4, MK4 I'm positive is more hated...just how it seems, everytime you mention it, typical gamer will be like "MK4 sucked" lol

MKSM caught peoples interest in terms of oh a new kind of MK game, and MKDC despite how anyone feels about it was a success...it sold over 2 million copies(a feat far more then the 3D MK games did) and the gameplay believe it or not was actually far more balanced with the RAGE meter, being 2.9 Dimensional and getting rid of the stupid easy glitches that plagued the previous 3D MK's.

But I definitely think MK9 will even further more bring MK back higher on the map, I personally don't care if it matches SF because no fighter IMO will ever match "SF's level" but just to get MK turning heads again like it once did. The fact that it's 2D and will have a setting of in between MK2-MK3(which I read, we'll soon find out more) is great since MK2 is easily one of the best, popular MK games out there. And UMK3 speaks for itself.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Storms, Amen. That's exactly what i meant by saying "on the map"...it doesn't have to be big as SF4 ( cause imo one good game is not gonna accomplish that, there must be at least 2-3 good games in a row to keep the fans wanting more and more), but at least some good recognition.
The game doesnt even have to be really any good to put MK back on the map. Look at SFIV. :) The fact that its 2d is gonna draw ALOT more players back. No matter what MK9 is or does, I expect MK10 to be the best ever. lol

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Right, the fact that the game is going to be 2D means Boon isn't AS dumb as I originally thought. I just want the game to come out already so we can play it and see how shitty it is (or isn't).

Tim Static

Adminerator
I am actually starting to think that Ed isnt actually running things like he has. I wonder if he is actually did lead programmer etc

MKF30

I don't think Boon is dumb, he just gambled with the 3D MK's and found out which is more popular(but MKDC I and MKSM I will say were good) the 3D MK's ehh...had issues to say the least lol I mean look at Capcom with SF 3D(uber fail 10x worse then any 3D MK)

I think personally two franchises that NEED to always stay 2D are SF and MK....let VF, Tekken be the 3D fighters...they've always been the best 3D wise anyway...

But that aside, I definitely think MK9 like others have said(besides myself) will be big again just for being 2D again hehe, and MK10 I want to see have the same graphics as MK9, but play more like UMK3 :) how sick would that be? Just replace the run with dash please(as fun as UMK3 is, I would prefer a bit more breathing room when I'm on the defensive)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I don't think Boon is dumb, he just gambled with the 3D MK's and found out which is more popular(but MKDC I and MKSM I will say were good) the 3D MK's ehh...had issues to say the least lol

But that aside, I definitely think MK9 like others have said(besides myself) will be big again just for being 2D again hehe, and MK10 I want to see have the same graphics as MK9, but play more like UMK3 :) how sick would that be? Just replace the run with dash please(as fun as UMK3 is, I would prefer a bit more breathing room when I'm on the defensive)
That's one thing that makes UMK3 great! Rushing that shit down!!

MKF30

Oh I know, it makes things exciting(well that and the dial ups work well with that game too) :) but maybe slow it down a tad, still keep the rushing/charging game there for aggressive players but balance it out even more :) MK4 also had a fast run but that whole game was like on speed lol.

From the looks of that teaser I'd imagine the rush game will be like MKDC with a dashing option but there's like almost a year away til MK9 comes out so obviously I'm not sure, and things can change.

Did anyone see the G4TV Special on friday night on SpikeTV? According to a friend on PSN, they showed lots of new stuff for MK.

MKF30

Did anyone see the G4TV Special on friday night on SpikeTV? According to a friend on PSN, they showed lots of new stuff for MK.
hmm, no I didn't know that but I'm going to check out the net now for hopefully G4 videos

Tim Static

Adminerator
Tim like i have said, I have heard boon is not the lead programmer which is why it has a chance.
Forget about that place in your sig. please stop wasting your knowledge and time there. In the mean time, change your sig please :)

MKF30

Boon is still the lead guy of the team though despite programmer or not this time...he's the main man, obviously he wanted 2D again and gore(like the fans demanded), so we you got 2D :).... But I'm just happy WB backs them now, not Midway. Oh btw, I forgot MK, MK2 and UMK3 and MKSM and MKDC were done by Ed leading yet they were successful....but I love it how certain haters just ignore that lol...amusing.

Here's to MK9!

Dark_Rob

Noob
Its really very simple. For MK9 to be on the map it has to be tournament worthy. You guys have seen what we are doing with UMK3 in the northeast. We could do the same thing with MK9 if its good enough. It doesnt have to be great, just good enough to be played at tournies. But trust me, if its utter garbage like MKDA through MKDC was, then none of us will waste our time trying. We will just keep pushing UMK3.

MK9

Noob
who care if he is in "charge" when you learn what a lead programmer does, you wouldn't make a dumb ass comment. the main reason why all the 3d mks were such a fail was cause the LEAD PROGRAMMER was clueless.

guys did you no MK was at EVO.

Tim funny how certain people said they would never come here, but yet here they are.

trust me Team Saleen has had enough of the MKDC jerk offs over there.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Tim funny how certain people said they would never come here, but yet here they are.
Red, we both know who your referring to here, and so will he. Its been proven time and again that the two of you can not co-exist peacefully. And while I wouldnt technically call this flame baiting, your certainly baiting some kind of response. My "advice" is to let it go here and now. Because trust me, that fued will not spill over on to these forums. Leave him be and I will make sure he does the same by you.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
The game doesnt even have to be really any good to put MK back on the map. Look at SFIV. :) The fact that its 2d is gonna draw ALOT more players back. No matter what MK9 is or does, I expect MK10 to be the best ever. lol
MK4 broke my heart. I was like "what the fuck did they do!?!"

MKF30

Yes, Dark Rob I agree and don't want MKU's drama or their haters coming at me on here or your site(I understand that)

I was asked to join here by several people and figured it would be better then drama elsewhere...

I was just saying Boon is still the head guy(at first I didn't know who he was but then I realized the second post)... personally don't get why people who shit on the franchise constantly come to MK sites to begin with...but then I have to remind myself of what pig and killer b told me way back...lol I know if I had an MK site I wouldn't want constant bashing(constructive criticism, sure) but bashing? No...but I understand some people out there will never change in general towards certain series.

But I agree with Dark Rob, hopefully it'll be good enough to get a scene like UMK3 does ;)