What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 - Kombat Kast Summary

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Looks cool but what a fucking waste to have certain moves locked away under non competitive customization options.. literally what a waste

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
3. Does wakeup roll have frames that can be hit out of it?
Yes, but ONLY with throws. Otherwise they are invincible.
16 bit also said they have recovery so they are only invincible on startup. Those juicy reads will still get a reward. I hope juicebox plays this game, he's a real lab monster and does great educational streams.

Ken and Steve both looking so fit since I last saw either of them! That pink hair is rad as fuck too! Glad to see both looking good on stream. That naptown clutch moment had me falling out laughing.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I loved how they made Kabal mix up moves punishable so he wont be as dominant as he was in MK9. But he still looks like a very strong character with crazy reaching normals.

I wonder if his dash attacks beats out projectiles tho.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Damn. I got hyped watching the Kabal trailer, thinking maybe this was a fighter worth learning. Then I saw the unmasked skin and was shocked to see Kabal being played by former NY Yankees hot-corner man Alex Rodriguez. Arrggh! As a die-hard Sox fan, my hatred for A-Rod is obligatory and runs deep. Oh well, at least now I know who my training dummy is going to be.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Besides Kabal I think the best thing I saw was an implementation of Sub Zeros krushing blow. He kept confirming into EX Slide to pick up damage and knockdowns and build up to the KB. Then he finally cashed it out to get 40% off an air to air. Usually the scaling would mean comboing into it nets like 30/35 overall.

I just liked that decision making a lot.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
So they just threw moves out there and hope they stick? If they didn't create moves with balance in mind these are worthless as competitive players because some of these moves might never be able to be picked in real tournaments.

MKX had set variations with gameplans, that's not too hard to do. Instead they've seemingly gone the route of making moves and hoping they fit somewhere. I don't like it.
Keep in mind they have specifically stated that there will more than likely be at least three main variation that they’re going to use for balance.

It also seems that they want to fit every move in, so there wouldn’t be anything you won’t be able to see.

If you look at the character movesets we’ve seen so far they pretty much all follow a theme(flag day Baraka uses all of his selectable flag attacks and nothing else for example), leading me to believe they did design the variations first but are allowing us to mix and match the moves between them.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
did anyone notice what tyler said when he was talking about why he likes sonya
"she has some good two player animtations" before saying something different :

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/375713909?t=01h19m40s

it seems weird to desribe throws as two player animations?

It's dev lingo. Two player animations mean stuff like throws, the elaborate scripted animations involving both characters together.

Im not happy about Kabal being in the game. Imo he ruined MK9 by 7-3 or worse alot of the cast due to his dash cancel and flash parry. Mk11 has no run so now i have to worry he will do the same type of shit

trufenix

bye felicia
I'm under the impression that Kabal's NDC is locked. Correct me if I'm wrong
The biggest misconception so far about custom varations is that moves will be missing or unlocked like i2. They have said about a hundred times (well, 4, but still) that ALL the moves will be represented in the "default" variations they build for competition. Just like MKX.

What they haven't decided are how many defaults there will be and what moves will go where.

So yes, there will be an NDC variation in competition.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
The biggest misconception so far about custom varations is that moves will be missing or unlocked like i2. They have said about a hundred times (well, 4, but still) that ALL the moves will be represented in the "default" variations they build for competition. Just like MKX.

What they haven't decided are how many defaults there will be and what moves will go where.

Could you please provide a link? I have apparently misconcepted.

Doctor Future

Baraka Lives!
Kabal looks dope to me. I never played him before (MK3/MK9), but his reveal trailer has me hype and thinking I may add him to my team this time around.

Well done guys!

Xelz

Go over there!
I hate to criticize, and I usually love the Kombat Kasts, but this one felt like a dud. No big news was revealed: they had pretty much already confirmed Kabal, and Geras already had a deep dive video from K&M. So basically Kabal’s moveset and no region lock were my biggest MK news highlights. That and 16bit v2.0, plus Matt finally got on camera.

Don’t get me wrong, I plan to play Kabal as an alt if not a main, and the Kast gave some good info to sink my teeth into. But as the first Kombat Kast of MK11, you’d think the goal would be to keep the hype train rolling from the reveal events. I didn’t see much new info that would be “hype”, so this felt like a marketing misstep more than anything. And the Xbox stream got the real unexpected news: D’vorah’s reveal.

gas blast is gone. completely. no iagbs. but he has buzz saw projectiles instead. fitting to say iabs now.
also ground buzz saw is gone. completely. but he can throw his new buzz saw on the ground instead.
and nomad dash cancel is gone. completely. except you pick it from the move list. then its there, totally, as ever.
The cancels will likely not be in tournament play. Still wondering how it’s going to work.

Xelz

Go over there!
And if I interpreted the Kast correctly, it sounded like they recognize how strong the NDC is and therefore the trade off costs will be high to select NDC in a moveset.

trufenix

bye felicia
Could you please provide a link? I have apparently misconcepted.
https://www.gamecrate.com/mortal-kombat-11-developer-interview-towers-of-time-how-gear-works-secret-characters/21980

GC: So you can unlock cosmetics, you unlock different moves, you unlock augments, things like that. A big question with Injustice 2 was how that translated into online play, like stuff that actually improved your stats. What's the relationship between the stuff you unlock and how powerful your character is in Mortal Kombat 11?

PG: So the special moves, you don't actually unlock them. They're all there at the start. So you get to just set your character variation the way you want. But when you play in competitive mode or tournament mode there will be a pre-set set of moves that's just the moves themselves from that bucket. But all the cosmetics themselves, those all fully function. So you can make your character look the way you want, but when in competitive mode you'll play with pre-set variations that we've defined. But then players who want to play Towers stuff, they can sort of mix and match.
https://twitter.com/EGPWonderChef/status/1086057328841912320

Paulo said that in competitive MK11, each character is gonna have preset balanced variations to choose from. Different characters might have different amounts, and they want to try to release more for characters over time. Pretty sick.

trufenix

bye felicia
And if I interpreted the Kast correctly, it sounded like they recognize how strong the NDC is and therefore the trade off costs will be high to select NDC in a moveset.
Well, its already got a HUGE nerf because its tied to the defense bar. The cancel costs 1 bar and it cost a bar of the other one for armor.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
https://www.gamecrate.com/mortal-kombat-11-developer-interview-towers-of-time-how-gear-works-secret-characters/21980

"GC: So you can unlock cosmetics, you unlock different moves, you unlock augments, things like that. A big question with Injustice 2 was how that translated into online play, like stuff that actually improved your stats. What's the relationship between the stuff you unlock and how powerful your character is in Mortal Kombat 11?

PG: So the special moves, you don't actually unlock them. They're all there at the start. So you get to just set your character variation the way you want. But when you play in competitive mode or tournament mode there will be a pre-set set of moves that's just the moves themselves from that bucket. But all the cosmetics themselves, those all fully function. So you can make your character look the way you want, but when in competitive mode you'll play with pre-set variations that we've defined. But then players who want to play Towers stuff, they can sort of mix and match."

https://twitter.com/EGPWonderChef/status/1086057328841912320
Erm, I don't see any confirmation here that every single special ability will be accounted for in a competitive-friendly variation. That's the part I haven't seen confirmed and was looking for direct confirmation of.

Rearawt

Noob
Erm, I don't see any confirmation here that every single special ability will be accounted for in a competitive-friendly variation. That's the part I haven't seen confirmed and was looking for direct confirmation of.
https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2019/01/17/ed-boon-talks-mortal-kombat-11s-variations-changes-and-roster

Do you think that between those three variations, those will be a character’s entire moveset, or will there be custom-only moves?

No, I don’t think from the base three variations we’ll be adding to that. We want those things to be fixed, so players can know, "That’s the variation, I know how it plays, I’m learning how to fight against it.”

Across those three – that will be the character’s entire moveset?

Yeah. We don’t want to leave stuff out, so I imagine that’ll be the base three, and they’ll encompass all of what that character can possibly do.