What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 - Kombat Kast Summary

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Finally gonna sit down and watch the two streams now. I feel that I still need a lot of information on today's kasts since I was stuck in traffic from work.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Seeing Steve's change in looks was more interesting than the reveal tbh.

Kabal is mkx allover again, not digging it.
I disagree, he had some pretty good mix-ups but none of them actually led to big combos or huge damage and his real mix up tool is a gear move so it’s not in every variation.

Also notice that both of them pushed the enemy far away so he can’t keep up 50/50 pressure, and in a game with no safe run to clear the entire screen he has to either go to zoning or try to get in with a risky dash.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
So interesting reveal(though we knew) one thing I don't get is they took away his gas blast, yet kept the option to keep his MK 9 dash cancel...:confused: but, at least he still has zoning tools with the saws so I can't complain that much. All in all he looks fun, think I'll use him more in this game. MK 9 he was fun but OP and typically picked as one of the tier whore characters so I dropped him in the first month. He looks more balanced here though.

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
Props to 16 bit. That transformation isn’t easy.

Game looks good. Still a lot we won’t know until the beta and they’re not giving away optimal combos, setups etc. That d2 counter was hype in the exhibition. Looking forward to that being in the meta. I’m hoping it has the same properties if you read a short hop.

Kabal’s fatal is the best so far.

I think they will alternate obvious character vs surprise character for the casts from here on out. My guess is Cassie next week.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I find it INCREDIBLY stupid they aren't showing real variations and instead are showing only kustom ones. What the fuck?
Like Ed said, they are still balancing the game. I'd be more worried if they had variations ready this early.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I disagree, he had some pretty good mix-ups but none of them actually led to big combos or huge damage and his real mix up tool is a gear move so it’s not in every variation.

Also notice that both of them pushed the enemy far away so he can’t keep up 50/50 pressure, and in a game with no safe run to clear the entire screen he has to either go to zoning or try to get in with a risky dash.
I cannot argue any of your points.
I can't say I'm reassured yet but time will tell.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Like Ed said, they are still balancing the game. I'd be more worried if they had variations ready this early.
Erm... no, you design first, then you balance. First you figure out which moves you want the character to have, then you figure out a way to make them work without breaking the game. Not the other way around. Other way around is how you end up with shitty unfun characters who have bizarre movesets that don't feel iconic or memorable. Reaching a balanced game state faster is not worth that.

I think it's incredibly odd that they're focusing on custom variations. It kind of suggests that they want people to take the game modes with custom variations seriously, instead of blowing them off as a strictly casual option.

JDM

Noob
So they just threw moves out there and hope they stick? If they didn't create moves with balance in mind these are worthless as competitive players because some of these moves might never be able to be picked in real tournaments.

MKX had set variations with gameplans, that's not too hard to do. Instead they've seemingly gone the route of making moves and hoping they fit somewhere. I don't like it.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Erm... no, you design first, then you balance. First you figure out which moves you want the character to have, then you figure out a way to make them work without breaking the game. Not the other way around. Other way around is how you end up with shitty unfun characters who have bizarre movesets that don't feel iconic or memorable. Reaching a balanced game state faster is not worth that.

I think it's incredibly odd that they're focusing on custom variations. It kind of suggests that they want people to take the game modes with custom variations seriously, instead of blowing them off as a strictly casual option.
I don't know how many successful games YOU have designed so far, my man, but I'm going to trust NRS to know what they are doing after 30 years in the industry.

So they just threw moves out there and hope they stick? If they didn't create moves with balance in mind these are worthless as competitive players because some of these moves might never be able to be picked in real tournaments.

MKX had set variations with gameplans, that's not too hard to do. Instead they've seemingly gone the route of making moves and hoping they fit somewhere. I don't like it.
You have the right not to like it but I'm going to just wait and see.

pure.Wasted

I don't know how many successful games YOU have designed so far, my man, but I'm going to trust NRS to know what they are doing after 30 years in the industry.
I trust NRS just fine, what I don't trust is your interpretation of what they're doing and why they're doing it that way.

I already provided an interpretation that I think is far more plausible. They don't want people to dismiss custom variations the way we did in Inj2. Maybe they want the primary ranked mode on ladder to have custom variations.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I trust NRS just fine, what I don't trust is your interpretation of what they're doing and why they're doing it that way.
So you're arguing me for arguing's sake. :D
Ed said they are still balancing the game. It's not my interpretation, it's what he said.
And this is as much time as I've had for this horse shit.

Wait and see lmfao

pure.Wasted

So you're arguing me for arguing's sake. :D
Ed said they are still balancing the game. It's not my interpretation, it's what he said.
And this is as much time as I've had for this horse shit.

Wait and see lmfao
Yes, Ed said they are balancing the game.

He did not say "we're not sure which moves are going to end up in which variations, and which moves are not going to end up in any variation."

You made that up.

I agree that "horse shit" is a very good way to describe you pretending that Ed said anything remotely like what you said.

Last edited:

MKR

Noob
5. Will Mortal Kombat 11 be region locked?
No, it will not be.

I am looking for this answer

kcd117

Noob
We don't even know if we'll have a regular variation system or a custom one for competitive play yet.

It's kinda pointless to worry about how they will balance a game at this point since we don't even know how they want their game to be played at the highest level.

Kombat Kast's purpose is to show some characters, build some hype and answer some questions. I'm pretty sure they'll have an answer for that soon but for now, the only set-in-stone piece of info we can get from KK is that x character or y character is in the game.

trufenix

bye felicia
oh my god, there are going to be so many character intros. Does anybody have a clip of that part for the very beginning?