What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 Gameplay/Mechanics Discussion

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Dash cancelling probably not back but there needs to be degrees of risk involved with the movement so I would like very good walk speed and accelaration, short distance dashes if you cannot cancel them, and running would need to require you to commit to a longer distance before being able to stop it if they are to be bapanced

Walking = low commitment, low risk
Dashing = medium commitment, medium risk
Running = high commitment, high risk

AbeW

Noob
Air run is gonna be fun
Lol, i can already visualize the terror in the hearts of the injustice zoning warriors trying to hijack good ol' MK. Ground runs and air runs to high heaven would scare them back to injustice (as it should).

Lets hope Ed Boon saw the movie " Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" and realized how amazing the air runs were.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Lol, i can already visualize the terror in the hearts of the injustice zoning warriors trying to hijack good ol' MK. Ground runs and air runs to high heaven would scare them back to injustice (as it should).

Lets hope Ed Boon saw the movie " Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" and realized how amazing the air runs were.
BEEP BOOP FATAL ERROR TRASH SCRUB DETECTED BOOP, NO NEUTRAL BEEP MINDGAMES.EXE NOT FOUND

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
It's not just about pure zoning, although that's most noticeable point. Dumb stuff such as up batarang MB (coupled with good meter gain), mechanical bats (at least before nerf when they were basically always up), Starfire's trait cancels, Fate's lack of respect with cross cancels - that kind of dumb to-go options is what I'm referring to as well.

In the end neutral was still relevant, but more often than not sidelined by some "answer to everything" moves.

Did I miss some new info?
i don't really have a problem with any of those except maybe up batarang, 1 because some characters can duck it and others can't....which is dumb. 2 because its so damn fast that its somewhat of a viable wake up for batman especially if your trying to jump on knockdown.

AbeW

Noob
Sindel basically had an air run in MK3, it could happen!!

Finally, top tier.
Many of MKX's unique game mechanics are tied to run, run cancel combos, FBC pressure, etc. So run isn't going anywhere in MK11, me thinks. The dash only no 50/50 slow warrior zone parade will always have injustice 2 to ease into, if run in's are too fast and in your face gameplay is too stressful for them

Speaking of air runs.....air run cancel combos!!!! Fireballcancels in air!!!!! OMG, comboing the sht outta your opponent in air from corner to corner, the possible swag and beauty of it....too beautiful to even visualize. ED BOON, BRING CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON TO MK!

Last edited:

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Many of MKX's unique game mechanics are tied to run, run cancel combos, FBC pressure, etc.
Would like to point out that neither cancels into nothing nor cancelling of charegeables into movement are unique to MKX and, in fact, it's a game where they are executed the most awkwardly.

Last edited:

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I can't understand why so many people would want to have a similar run mechanic when so many complained about it in MKXL. Run was never this wonky has it was in mk3, umk3 and mk4. At least the run meter in those games were managed unlike mkxl were you could run a full screen and a half and was not individually geared to slower or faster characters.

It's like people forgot how bad and unbalanced it was to play against.

When your only option is literally guessing, small gaps, using resources that can't be replenished fast enough or counter picking just for that match up means that a designed gameplay mechanic is not working.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I can't understand why so many people would want to have a similar run mechanic when so many complained about it in MKXL. Run was never this wonky has it was in mk3, umk3 and mk4. At least the run meter in those games were managed unlike mkxl were you could run a full screen and a half and was not individually geared to slower or faster characters.

It's like people forgot how bad and unbalanced it was to play against.

When your only option is literally guessing, small gaps, using resources that can't be replenished fast enough or counter picking just for that match up means that a designed gameplay mechanic is not working.
I still think that this mechanic works fine if it's limited (like MB roll in INJ2). The problem was that it was up so frequently to close gaps on every knockdown, close distance in neutral at will, and go from neutral to pressure so often.

If the usage is restricted so that it's an occasional choice to press your offense I think it'll be fine. The issue wasn't the concept of run; it was being able to run far too much for too low a cost.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I would love this game not to have run and use the dash cancel mechanic of mk9. If the game has run, imo it should be a significantly nerfed version with respect to the mkx one. It was too much, to be honest.

I also hope that zoning and defensive options become more viable than they were in mkx, where even after the last patch the offense was overwhelming (or even more than before since armor launchers removal made it less risky to apply).

If they want to include armor launchers, all of them should be unsafe. Also they could go with the two bar option. Non-launching armor should be, in general (imo) unsafe for offensive characters, and safe for defensive characters. Armor should not be used without risk by high pressure characters to prevent you from getting out of pressure.

Also I would like to see mk9 quality antiairs.
How would you nerf it??

It costs half your stamina to back dash and to use an interactable. You can only get one fireball cancel on block, one run cancel for combos. It costs both bars to break and block break. I think it was nerfed it would be almost useless.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
How would you nerf it??

It costs half your stamina to back dash and to use an interactable. You can only get one fireball cancel on block, one run cancel for combos. It costs both bars to break and block break. I think it was nerfed it would be almost useless.
First option is eliminating it, which is what's going to happen.

Other options would have been limiting it in some ways. Some examples: introducing a small recovery time after a run is ended, not allowing to end a run with a jump or not allowing to do an ex move right after a run.

How would you nerf it??

different run speeds for different characters. That way you can balance it better

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I still think that this mechanic works fine if it's limited (like MB roll in INJ2). The problem was that it was up so frequently to close gaps on every knockdown, close distance in neutral at will, and go from neutral to pressure so often.

If the usage is restricted so that it's an occasional choice to press your offense I think it'll be fine. The issue wasn't the concept of run; it was being able to run far too much for too low a cost.
I agree with this to an extent because that's how mk3 & umk3 was. You didn't necessarily need to run to extend combos or stings as you are forced to in MKXL to get decent amount of damage or postioning on screen.

That mkx run mechanic was and is horrible. It's double mapped to the block button and requires you to cancel out of it by using an input and said button. All the while your maintaining your juggles, pressure, cancels and moves. Cancels being another issuse I hope they improved on.

I admit has I like watching it and exicuting it but it's not fun to play against when you don't have a handy AA, reversal, meter, a fast normal that can interrupt it in their gaps or anything else.

All this was bulit on run being essential and involved in everything you needed to do to be successful in MKXL. Forcing you to use run and stamina otherwise you have no choice but to use weak zoning, playing tag with pokes or the jumpin's with ridiculous hitboxes with no AA.

I feel there was no balance when it came to run and stamina mechanics in that game. This is why has much as I prase NRS for pushing new ways and ideas for their games, I do wish they also stick with what worked well in the past.

Alec

Noob
I have a feeling that MK11 could have a SF4-like focus attack type of move. Basically, a charging move that breaks guard and can probably be cancelled similarly.
I have probably been influenced by leaks also, but, I actually thought about this even before the "krushing blow" leak, which is actually, the most believable leak so far IMO.
The reason I believe this kind of mechanic might be present, is because, I do think that NRS will tone down 50/50s on MK11 like they did on Injustice (I actually believe they will tone down a lot from MKX), and therefore, will need new offensive tools to get around defense, and MK unlike Injustice, can't rely on crossups to open people up because it has a block button.
There's more to it, but since it's just a guess, I won't go much more into it.

DelSchokoladenSaft

Can of Corn Main
I have a feeling that MK11 could have a SF4-like focus attack type of move. Basically, a charging move that breaks guard and can probably be cancelled similarly.
I have probably been influenced by leaks also, but, I actually thought about this even before the "krushing blow" leak, which is actually, the most believable leak so far IMO.
The reason I believe this kind of mechanic might be present, is because, I do think that NRS will tone down 50/50s on MK11 like they did on Injustice (I actually believe they will tone down a lot from MKX), and therefore, will need new offensive tools to get around defense, and MK unlike Injustice, can't rely on crossups to open people up because it has a block button.
There's more to it, but since it's just a guess, I won't go much more into it.
So kinda like Ermac and Johnny Cage's b2's that can be cancelled in mk9?

Alec

Noob
So kinda like Ermac and Johnny Cage's b2's that can be cancelled in mk9?
Yeah, similar, but as an universal tool. As such it's possible that it can be combo-ed into as well.
Now, thinking about it, It is sounding more like Injustice's forward+3/back+3 by the minute, I wish they don't handle it like those, that would be bad :confused:
but hey, I won't worry over my own speculation.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
What do you guys think are the chances that Tag Team returns? I want it to come back so bad!
It's hard to say; but they have telemetry data on how much people were playing each mode, and my guess is that it wasn't a big enough percentage for them to support it for the last few games.

Doesn't mean it won't come back though. I definitely loved it, as broken as it was :cool:

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
It's hard to say; but they have telemetry data on how much people were playing each mode, and my guess is that it wasn't a big enough percentage for them to support it for the last few games.

Doesn't mean it won't come back though. I definitely loved it, as broken as it was :cool:
Yeah they said so, but so many people asked for it since the start of MKX. I have a training buddy which I play basically every fighting game with and a modern version of tag team would be the greatest thing ever!

God that would be the greatest thing!

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper

I feel like a large part of that was due to the fact that you couldn't really team up online. I loved it, but could only play it whenever I could get one of my friends over. I didn't have any interest in controlling 2 characters myself. I certainly couldn't have been the only one. If you could actually invite a friend online to be your tag partner, I'm sure a LOT more people would play it. Kicking ass from the same couch will always be the most fun, but it's not always feasible.