What's new

Mortal Kombat 11 Gameplay/Mechanics Discussion

This is a speculative thread to discuss new/returning game-play mechanics that people would like have included or not included in the returning title.

As I fully expect MK11 to be more of an in your face game, I am being realistic with things that are probably 100% confirmed such as running, block button, 50/50/standing resets et cetera, toned down zoning.

If I could pick one thing I would like improved from previous NRS titles it is to tone down jump in attacks such as MKX sub zero, I2 robin, pre-patch batman I2, or I2 flash to give a few examples. If there are going to be fast low arc jumping attacks please give characters the tools to anti ait them if their reactions earn them an AA. I also hope the trip guard/recovery window is a bit bigger on things like MKX sonya divekick and other jump arc changing moves that already make people second guess anti airing with situational moves.

Confirmed MK11 Mechanics:

- Virtual Reality component? Possibly for the mobile version of the game which we won't care about? (https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1072938410845880321)

- Krushing blows (https://testyourmight.com/threads/nrs-email-leak-alleged-new-mk11-details-cover-art-community-reveal-plans.67573/)

-Supers (https://testyourmight.com/threads/nrs-email-leak-alleged-new-mk11-details-cover-art-community-reveal-plans.67573/)

Last edited:

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I would love this game not to have run and use the dash cancel mechanic of mk9. If the game has run, imo it should be a significantly nerfed version with respect to the mkx one. It was too much, to be honest.

I also hope that zoning and defensive options become more viable than they were in mkx, where even after the last patch the offense was overwhelming (or even more than before since armor launchers removal made it less risky to apply).

If they want to include armor launchers, all of them should be unsafe. Also they could go with the two bar option. Non-launching armor should be, in general (imo) unsafe for offensive characters, and safe for defensive characters. Armor should not be used without risk by high pressure characters to prevent you from getting out of pressure.

Also I would like to see mk9 quality antiairs.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
Proper Anti air moves with invincibility on frame 3 that are unsafe on block, Xrays that always scale at 50%,advancing strings to be slow recovering and punishable on block, overheads that DO NOT combo. Wake ups that do not consist of armoring 95% of the time. Plus frames to be in single digits and zoning projectiles to trade perhaps.

Last edited:

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
I feel like (read: hope) NRS will try to make this game's neutral less reliant on 50/50s and armored launchers if the current state of mkx is anything to go by.

As far as the stamina mechanic goes, I did enjoy the inherently faster pace it brought, but I can take it or leave it. I did notice minimal, if any, running in the trailer, so that might be a sign that it's out.

The one thing I'm praying for though is more reliable anti airs. I really don't wanna have to dust off my bachelor's in clairvoyance just to react in time to someone's jump in.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
What was wrong with the run and stamina? I've played a little MKX but I've never been into enough to follow along with any of the issues or whatnot.

FoughtDragon01

What was wrong with the run and stamina? I've played a little MKX but I've never been into enough to follow along with any of the issues or whatnot.
Iirc, it basically made zoning weaker overall in a game where zoning was already pretty sub par compared to the rushdown, double digit plus frames, 50/50s, and armored launchers that the game had, especially in its early days. If the mechanic was toned down or removed entirely, it'd allow more defensive playstyles to be viable.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Iirc, it basically made zoning weaker overall in a game where zoning was already pretty sub par compared to the rushdown, double digit plus frames, 50/50s, and armored launchers that the game had, especially in its early days. If the mechanic was toned down or removed entirely, it'd allow more defensive playstyles to be viable.
If that's the case I hope they find a way to tone it down, but keep it in. Run cancels or run combos seemed to add some interesting creativity and execution to some of the combos.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
My (partial) wish list:
  • If run is in, I hope it is a button a la the MK3 series.
  • Less emphasis on 50/50s, more on the spacing/footsie game.
    • Make all over heads slower, and don't have any lead to combos.
  • Put a hard rule in place that you can only have one projectile on screen at a time, and make the recovery on projectile moves...more.
    • Zoning can/should be strong, but not spammy looking.

Last edited:

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I'm not an expert on gameplay mechanics, I can only mention what I like and don't like.

I hope they keep the gameplay on a 2D plane. I just personally feel that it fits MK best.

I wasn't a fan of the run function. Mostly because of how awkward it felt executing it. And it being tied to a stamina meter seems very inhibiting, so I hope that won't return.

I personally prefer to dash and be able to cancel the dash with an attack, because being locked into the dash and not being able to do anything else before being in neutral again feels stifling and kinda clunky.

I never understood why the games had a Stance switch button... it just seems unnecessary.

I wasn't a fan of the Variation system in MKX. Some of them feel kinda forced, because the devs HAD to think of 3 for each character, so some of them just feels out of place and unfitting for the character. However, it seems like that might not be an issue in MK11 considering the devs making them customisable. We'll see what exactly that means once they show more.

I otherwise like how the gameplay has evolved from MK9 to MKX. Doing combo strings, being able to cancel them into special moves. There were a few times where I was a bit disappointed that some stuff didn't connect right, but I understand that it's part of balancing the characters. I just like to do some cool shit. :p

I've been wondering if it would fit MK to have some kind of unique character trait meter like Injustice has, or like Killer Instinct's Instinct meter and Street Fighter V's V-Trigger. To make each character feel unique by giving them something only they can do.
A few characters in MKX kinda had something like that which was put into the Variation system, like Reptile being smelly or slow down time, Sonya calling on a drone for various purposes, stuff like that. But again, maybe that's something that will be part of the whole customisation thing in MK11.

I think that's all I have for now... from what I can think of, at least.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
I think running won't be back, no hints of it in the trailer like MKX. But stamina I think will be in. It was necessary for cancel chars imo, also worked good for back dashes and maybe will have other appliances.

FoughtDragon01

Another thing that concerns me, even it isn't necessarily gameplay, is how they plan on implementing the Krypt. If there's gonna be gear similar to IJ2, then best case scenario is that the Krypt will be like how it's always been and the gear is unlocked like how it was in Injustice. I just don't want EVERYTHING being locked behind random chance.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I would be okay with run and stamina again as long as it gets reworked. Like how come in MKX we can forward dash for free but back dashing takes 1 of 2 bars of stamina, wtf? Trying to keep the game fast pace by keeping run is fine as long as they don't punish us for using our defensive options again.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
My wishlist:

- Run and stamina thrown into the trash and never spoken of again. Ruined neutral and footsies, turned offense into flowchart cancels, restricted backwards movement. Can't have footsies unless you can move in and out of your opponents range, need movement to be balanced in both directions.
- Replace with either dash cancelling like MK9 or dashes are very short distance with quick recovery in both directions to allow for movement in and out of opponents ranges
- Standing armor never launches
- Uppercuts are universal armor breaker
. Characters either have a low combo starter or an overhead one, never both. Their other mix up option does not lead to combos.
- Uppercuts, ex specials, and xrays are the only moves that can kill with chip
- You can tech throws while still holding block
- Advancing normals are fine and belong in fighting games in general but they need to be balanced appropriately. If you have an advancing mid that advancing mid shouldnt also be your launching mid or your fastest mid
- No double digit plus frames on block
- Make teleport and slide tier specials -50 or more. No more ambiguously punishable specials like Flash lightning kick. Bonus points if you make them spin in there air on block again so they can think about the consequences of their actions
- MKX style brutalities are back (they at least got that right!)

I think people are overestimating the amount of fundamental changes to the game we'll be getting. My guess is we'll see something like we did from Injustice 1 to Injustice 2, rather than MK9 to MKX scale of change.

Run likely isn't going anywhere. It's too big a change that would require quite a rework to the majority of the kast that was in the previous game.

Ger187

Noob
I would be okay with run and stamina again as long as it gets reworked. Like how come in MKX we can forward dash for free but back dashing takes 1 of 2 bars of stamina, wtf? Trying to keep the game fast pace by keeping run is fine as long as they don't punish us for using our defensive options again.
Yeah but if you backdash you were a moment invicible and if you dash forward you could do nothing beside getting punched in yo face

Gamer68

Fujin!
Yeah but if you backdash you were a moment invicible and if you dash forward you could do nothing beside getting punched in yo face
Pretty much all fighting games give you invincibility on back dash within the first few frames. If MKX allows you to run in people's faces for free basically, they should at least give you back dashes with a couple frames of invincibility (that usually doesn't matter or make a difference).

If the invincibility does end up being a problem though -- which again is unlikely -- they could always remove it or reduce the amount of invincibility frames, then if it ends up being too weak they could just make the entire speed of back dashes a little faster that way they still have some use.

There are better ways to approach defensive options without tying them to a meter.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I would see more defensive options for jumping attacks both normals and specials.

Better tools to use as anti airs. If the characters don't have a proper AA. Like like directional interactable throws or pokes.

I liked to see if some of the older features like reversal parry and pushing returned. Especially if it during a 50/50 string where if you press the button you then can follow up with your attack. I don't care if costs 3 bars but something like this would be great. Even taunting could make a return as you gain health back and can be made as only a few taunts a game so it wouldn't be spamable.

Tweaking the input short cuts, alternative inputs and release check would be great. As issuses with inputs in the last 4 games have caused many people to ask for something to be done. Even with all the features turned off the inputs still cause unwanted moves or specials to come out. This is so much not the case with other fighters even though they too have issuses but nrs still needs to address this.

The run mechanics need to be tweaked. Either button mapping it to whatever you desire or running can be exicuted by tapping forward then holding forward and canceling it with button press. Keep stamina as it was annoying but I found it fair. Stance switch button needs to go. Use that for run.

Please please please!!!! For the love of God. Let me get the choice to not have my button mapped to throw, 1+3 x-ray 3+4+blk and so on. Let ME decide what I want to keep and to throw away as the default 6 button layout should be a menu option now. This gives stick players the freedom to NOT HAVE 1+3 ACCIDENTALLY PRESSED DURING THE MATCH!!!!!!

Toned down 50/50 mix-ups and strings that can be reactable without the go too use of meter. Maybe like pushblock or a defective input like in dbfz but also can't be spamable.

A completely revamped training mode that has hitbox & hurt box shaders. Proper ways to record moves, strings, AA, reversals, wake ups, AI demonstrations of moves, specials, reversals, frame counter, ect. The ability to keep certain settings in training mode instead of having it reset once you leave the mode or game. The ability to have it available during queuing up your opponent online instead of looking at stats or various screens. The options to search for online opponents, koth's, player matches and all online featurea directly from training mode.

Menu options needs to be available in character select screens for re-button mapping or changing of settings instead of quitting out or everything back to the main menu.

That's all I can say now.