What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 Tanya face model found - Sydney Cross

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I'm talking about the face, the one thing you didn't really go into detail about.
Ah. Well it’s the least of all my issues with her design by far, and I wouldn’t even call it an issue really. I can look at her face in two ways. As an original creation, it’s good.
As a recreation of Sydney Cross’s face, I stand by what I said, they did her dirty. The jaw and cheeks look quite altered is the main thing, which makes me wonder why, more than actually upsetting me. And I mean the “why” genuinely, not like “WHYYYY DID THEYY MAKE HER UUUUGLLLYYYYY?” Because game Tanya is an average looking woman, so it only stands out compared to Sydney Cross who is way above average.
But to be clear, this really isn’t the hill I want to die on, I don’t think it’s that terrible and nowhere near comparable to pre launch Injustice 2 Aquaman and Supergirl.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
About her eyes - she actually does have glowing eyes during some of her gameplay, so it appears as though they kept that part of her lore, just with a twist.
Yeah... there is something going on there. Not sure, with luck we'll get a kombat kast with her game play... but we have that sorta yellow orb, glow thing she has and sometimes her eye emitted yellow smoke and light during gameplay. So I think there is some kind of special meter like Jonny has for this one.

Mr.Khen

I am you
her design is not good, Tanya is my fave female character and they did the OG fans dirty, the model she's based on is VERY beautiful but the execution isn't good, sure maybe she'll look much better in the final game, and maybe.. this is as good as it gets, love it, hate it... this is the new NRS, all of the young MK fans have anime thumbnails and they hate attractive and sexualized women and they have to cater to them... or they'll get cancelled.

Cicada 5

Noob
her design is not good, Tanya is my fave female character and they did the OG fans dirty, the model she's based on is VERY beautiful but the execution isn't good, sure maybe she'll look much better in the final game, and maybe.. this is as good as it gets, love it, hate it... this is the new NRS, all of the young MK fans have anime thumbnails and they hate attractive and sexualized women and they have to cater to them... or they'll get cancelled.
Yes, we all know how much anime fans hate attractive, sexualized women.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
... this is the new NRS, all of the young MK fans have anime thumbnails and they hate attractive and sexualized women and they have to cater to them... or they'll get cancelled.
This is not remotely true. They don't care about making kids on twitter mad they care about not alienating mature/female customers.

Social media is melting your brain.

Mr.Khen

I am you
This is not remotely true. They don't care about making kids on twitter mad they care about not alienating mature/female customers.

Social media is melting your brain.
Ok bot "Duuuurrrr sowsial medhia ish melthin yur brAin" yuck
moving on from this.....

JGillette

My thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched
she just needs her hair changed, those stupid hair accessories need to go and her white/yellow eyes have to be permanent. tanya has always been black, the model is insanely beautiful. but somehow nrs manages to mess up implementing face scans on characters. this is much more important when it comes to a character like tanya who needs more appearances in next games. that's actually what bothers me a lot because the game is shaping up to be very beautiful and tanya needs to make much better impression than her appearances in previous games, so that her fan base can expand (although there are many who love her so much).

Art Lean

Noob
With the greatest respect to her fans, I didn't even realise the character of Tanya could inspire such controversy :confused:

To me, she's always retained that lingering feeling of being just a last minute roster replacement to MK4 (which she was) with about as much staying power as Reiko, given how rarely she's reappeared in the series (although I appreciate that Tanya's been in 5 mainline games compared to Reiko's more meagre 3, Reiko can at least boast that he appeared in the expanded cinematic media too, featuring in Conquest, Legends: Battle of the Realms and MK21, whilst Tanya's never been on screen outside of the games). And just like Reiko, she just seemed to be one of the ninjas with the mask removed (and not gonna lie, I always wanted both to have an alt skin with a mask just for consistency's sake, since I'm weird like that).

Or maybe it's just her dreadful MK4 ending that's just left me scarred for life during the start of MK's sad "dark age" haha (which felt like a double-bill presentation that same year with Jade playing the exact same role in the abysmal MK Annihilation):

But as I said, I write the above with the greatest respect to her fans; if you've found something rich to enjoy in her character's story and I'm aware it's come a lot further, as well as her classic design, then that's awesome and it's great that our beloved series makes so many diverse and dynamic characters that people can latch onto and find a favourite that may be so different to many others :)

So for me, given my lack of investment in the character previously, I honestly have absolutely no issues with her redesign, think she looks great, the model's just heavenly and I'm actually really looking forward to her becoming so much more. From what little I've seen of her gameplay, she looks great fun to play too, taking elements from Jade and Sindel's staff styles in MK11 and expanding it further and making it far more dynamic. As long as the controls are nice and fluid (I found Skarlet quite clunky in MK11 for example), then I'm thinking I'm really going to enjoy playing as her.

Last edited:

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
With the greatest respect to her fans, I didn't even realise the character of Tanya could inspire such controversy :confused:

To me, she's always retained that lingering feeling of being just a last minute roster replacement to MK4 (which she was) with about as much staying power as Reiko, given how rarely she's reappeared in the series (although I appreciate that Tanya's been in 5 mainline games compared to Reiko's more meagre 3, Reiko can at least boast that he appeared in the expanded cinematic media too, featuring in Conquest, Legends: Battle of the Realms and MK21, whilst Tanya's never been on screen outside of the games). And just like Reiko, she just seemed to be one of the ninjas with the mask removed (and not gonna lie, I always wanted both to have an alt skin with a mask just for consistency's sake, since I'm weird like that).
You can dislike Tanya if you wish, but she is a popular character. EB said she is one of the more in demand characters outside the core group in past titles - to the point that she was going to be the next DLC character in MK9.

As far as controversy goes, I would argue that she is probably the most controversial in the series given this is the second time Tanya has been the center of debate. It got to the point in MKX that her entire character model was changed at the last minute before she was released. No other character has caused that level of controversy.

While the expanded universe is great for die hard fans, most casuals (the overwhelming majority of the market) have limited interest in it apart from the movie. Reiko may be more popular with those that read comics or cartoons etc, but those that play the game seem to prefer Tanya - that is why she is in more titles.

Or maybe it's just her dreadful MK4 ending that's just left me scarred for life during the start of MK's sad "dark age" haha (which felt like a double-bill presentation that same year with Jade playing the exact same role in the abysmal MK Annihilation):

But as I said, I write the above with the greatest respect to her fans; if you've found something rich to enjoy in her character's story and I'm aware it's come a lot further, as well as her classic design, then that's awesome and it's great that our beloved series makes so many diverse and dynamic characters that people can latch onto and find a favourite that may be so different to many others :)

So for me, given my lack of investment in the character previously, I honestly have absolutely no issues with her redesign, think she looks great, the model's just heavenly and I'm actually really looking forward to her becoming so much more. From what little I've seen of her gameplay, she looks great fun to play too, taking elements from Jade and Sindel's staff styles in MK11 and expanding it further and making it far more dynamic. As long as the controls are nice and fluid (I found Skarlet quite clunky in MK11 for example), then I'm thinking I'm really going to enjoy playing as her.
Tanya is without a doubt one of the more popular characters in the franchise. Her MKX and MK1 reveals led to probably the two biggest character related controversies in the NRS era because of her popularity. The fact that they completely changed her look a second time after the MKX debacle means that someone at NRS also doesn't understand how popular Tanya really is.

Her design is very divisive because some fans interpret Tanya's previous designs to be middle-eastern/Egyptian and the other interprets her to be black. This debate has been going on for decades. NRS made the mistake of overlooking the fact that Tanya is an established character with both sides having decades to establish their position on her design inspirations.
The other debate with Tanya is whether she is a ninja or not. This debate has been going on since her first appearance in MK4.

The initial MKX design went too far one way and it led to a huge backlash that made them change her design upon release. The MK1 design went too far the other way and it led to a huge backlash from the opposing side. NRS may be flabbergasted as to why Tanya of all characters receives such a big and seemingly disproportionate response compared to other characters, but it's simple really. She is a popular character with an established design.

The only way for NRS to avoid controversy is to give her a design more close related to the final MKX design (which was positively received by both sides) and the Deception design. I don't know how NRS didn't see this coming.

Jade and Tanya are two characters NRS needs to keep consistent if they want to avoid a debate about sensitive topics. They seem to be able to do it with Jade but not with Tanya.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes

That ending was sick! A little lame for Tanya maybe but lmao MK4 endings were the best

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?

Nobody bad mouth my boy reiko , ill kill you .. ill kill all of youuuu !!!!