What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 Post-Release General Discussion Thread

Spear is a high, so are Sareena’s boomerang knives. So in general, you can either just dash block in and duck, or walk him down and duck. But you also don’t even have to do that. Spear has a lot of recovery. In the past you’ve said you use Shao & Mileena. So with Shao, you can literally full screen punish him by ducking the Spear and then simply db4. Same with Mileena, she can not only roll under his Spear, she can duck his spear and then roll from pretty much full screen for a punish. She also can do her Teleport after ducking the Spear.

Just gotta hit the lab when you come across certain strategies you’re not sure how to deal with.
Yeah, if I spent 10-15 minutes getting used to the timing of it I would probably have a easier time dealing with it. My issue is that I freeze up and let myself be pinned down by it. In the heat of the moment I get so stressed out by it that it becomes a bigger problem than it really is lol

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Yeah, if I spent 10-15 minutes getting used to the timing of it I would probably have a easier time dealing with it. My issue is that I freeze up and let myself be pinned down by it. In the heat of the moment I get so stressed out by it that it becomes a bigger problem than it really is lol
Again, the lab helps that as well. But also, don’t be worried about making a mistake or even losing, especially online. There is literally nothing at stake of any value. You should treat online like a training ground, not a proving ground. Online is you in the dojo improving your technique, learning new moves and strats, and sparring with all the things you have learned. Offline/tournaments are the competitions where you actually prove yourself. And that doesn’t mean you have to compete in tournaments. And if you don’t, that should make you even less nervous about online matches.

As an example I’ve told before, I will oftentimes go into a match 100% willing and expecting to lose. My goal is NOT to win, but it’s something else. For instance it may be that I can’t jump a single time in the entire match. Or that I can’t initiate anything in neutral, I can only react, whiff punish, block punish, and just work on my defense, spacing and footsies. But I’ll 100% commit to these goals which means the goal is no longer to win as I said. It’s to improve in a certain area, typically one that I’m struggling with. So for your specific situation, I’d purposely keep getting full screen and then trying to punish Scorpion or whatever other character. And force yourself to keep putting yourself into that situation over and over. The issue is that once you punish them a couple of times, they’ll most likely stop doing it. That’s another layer of all of this, if you’re not doing anything to discourage a player from doing X, they’ll keep doing X because there’s no reason not to. You have to force them to stop doing X!

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
If you don't mind using Motaro I came up with some anti Scorpion tech. You can react to Spear with teleport and Motaro will save you from it, then give you oki vs the knocked down Scorpion player

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
If you don't mind using Motaro I came up with some anti Scorpion tech. You can react to Spear with teleport and Motaro will save you from it, then give you oki vs the knocked down Scorpion player

I guess that’s not a terrible thing to do if you’re using Motaro. But people don’t seem to realize just how much recovery Scorpion’s Spear has. And since it’s a high, every single character in the game can duck it from full screen and punish it.

Some of these characters can punish it in more ways than I listed, but literally every single character can punish Scorpion’s Spear full screen without the use of a Kameo. To clarify, these are ALL full screen punishes:

Kitana: Duck & then Fan Toss or Far Fancy Flick

Mileena: Duck & then Roll or Teleport

Tanya: Duck & then Heavenly Hand or Drill Kick

Rain: Duck & then Water Beam or Rain God

Smoke: Duck & then Smoke-Port (and he can also Vicious Vapors through it and get a full combo punish)

Scorpion: Duck & then Flame-Port or Spear or Devouring Flame

Reptile: Duck & then forward dash into Dash Attack or EX Death Roll

Sub: Duck & then Slide

Li Mei: Duck & then Nova Blast or forward dash into Chain Reaction

Kenshi: Duck & then Far Demon Drop or forward dash into Ancestral Guard

Baraka: Duck & then Bleeding Blade or jump it instead & then Air Death Spin

Geras: Duck & then Far Sandstorm

Omni-Man: He can punish it in like 10 different ways lol

Young Shang: Duck & then Straight Skulls (all 3 versions)
Old Shang: Duck & then Far Ground Skull

Shao: Duck & then Death Quake

Sindel: Duck & then Low Hairball or Hairball

Reiko: Duck & then Assassin Throwing Stars or Charging Pain

Raiden: Duck & then Electric Fly or Electric Orb (you can even Lightning Port and get a full combo punish but the timing is really strict)

Liu Kang: Duck & then Cosmic Flame or Dragon’s Tail

Johnny Cage: Duck & then forward dash into Shadow Kick (you can even duck into Shadow Dash and then do a forward dash and cancel that into f1 for a full combo punish. But the timing is really strict)

Kung Lao: Duck & then Buzzsaw or Hat Toss

Ashrah: Duck & then Astral Projection or forward dash into f2 for a full combo punish

Nitara: Duck & then forward dash into Quick Taste or forward jump into Dark Plunge

Havik: Duck & then forward dash into Blood Bath
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

And yes, I just personally tested all of these which is why I know the names lol. Which, this took quite a lot of time believe it or not (over 2+ hours). Again, some characters probably can punish in different ways I didn’t mention, but every character CAN punish it in at least one way. But like I said, this already took forever going through each character and figuring out 1 or 2 things they can do to punish his Spear from full screen, then writing it down. I wish I would’ve recorded each successful punish so I could make a video showing all the punishes, but I wasn’t thinking about it at the time.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Game is dead af.
How so? There is a Mortal Kombat 1 tournament almost every day.

If the game were dead or bad, players would not be participating.

There is a "lack of expression" and "copy/paste gameplay" because the game is streamed on Twitch 24/7. People emulate what other people do because everyone wants to use what is effective in order to win.

By the way, the superfluity of streaming is a very recent phenomena. In the old days of Mortal Kombat 9, the Chicago, New York, and Cleveland scenes would stream once or twice a week, which is all that you would get. Nobody hosted online tournaments for obvious reasons.

Top players go where the money goes. Why post content for free on TYM when you can monetize on YouTube? The same individuals who complain about this issue are sometimes the same individuals who left TYM ten years ago to pursue monetization on various other social media websites.

As far as scattered tournaments are concerned, if I know that Ninja Killa has entered a tournament and I want to enter another tournament in order to compete against players who are more or less my equals in terms of skill, what is wrong?

WB executives "currently killing a lot"... not "currently"... they have been since Mortal Kombat 9. Anyone who used to travel and compete back in the day knows better from private conversations...

I could go on and on...

I like Mr. Aquaman's commentary and content, but he says a lot without saying anything valuable or innovative.

I don't believe MK1 is dead or anywhere close to dead. The DSync and Netcode needs fixed along with modes and features added. That's what's mainly frustrating the majority of competitive players including me, but I know NRS is working on fixing these issues as we speak.
Blew my mind when the NRS employee on Pigs stream said it costs a lot (over $55,000) to just do one small patch on PS5 let alone XBSX.
I don't think the DSync issue is as easy as dropping a new patch or hotfix. From what I understand the PC version only had intro dialogues removed as a test to see if they where the problem causing the DSyncs on PS5 and it's related to a glitch with skipping cut scenes on start of match but do we really know why?
And it's said what fixes the problem on PC doesn't work for PS5 or Xbox.

I have respect for NRS because several people are good peps but I have zero respect for WB. I feel they should have at bare minimum matched what NRS put into Pro Tour and the next logical move is to drop a 3 Skins to fund Pro Tour where 50%-80% of profits go to Major's payouts. That way WB makes money, Fans get cool skins, MK1 gets a strong Pro Tour and Top Pro players can actually make a living putting all their time into the game like they do in SF6

Last edited:
@StormGoddess One thing from Aqua's tweat that rings true not just for Mortal Kombat, but all game franchises is that people need to learn to have fun again. These are games, they're entertainment, and they're truly only careers for an extremely small percentage of people.

Years ago I saw someone say eSports had done so much harm to gaming and game design, and they weren't wrong (it's also done good as well).

WB executives "currently killing a lot"... not "currently"... they have been since Mortal Kombat 9. Anyone who used to travel and compete back in the day knows better from private conversations...
As someone who enjoys business and understanding business mentality, I'd be curious to hear more about this.

Blew my mind when the NRS employee on Pigs stream said it costs a lot (over $55,000) to just do one small patch on PS5 let alone XBSX.
I can't speak for PlayStation (but expect it to be the same), but doing a patch on the Xbox platform has always been a major expense since at least the Xbox 360 days.

I feel they should have at bare minimum matched what NRS put into Pro Tour and the next logical move is to drop a 3 Skins to fund Pro Tour where 50%-80% of profits go to Major's payouts.
NetherRealm Studio's contribution is WB Games contribution. WB Games is the parent company, they own NetherRealm and would have had to either approve said donation or would even have been the ones to set it in the first place. NetherRealm's profits and funds are WB Games'.

Last edited:

haketh

Noob
I really think the lack of offline and lack of focus on community building is the source of how blah things feel for a lot of people. Even when you’re just spectating a local event three states away, the feeling is just completely different from watching a bunch of dudes in a discord call commentating a lobby.

IDK how we get back to what we had but I wish Darth Arma nothing but success for his event & hopefully it gets more eyes on it. We’re growing a bit here in Seattle offline but entries are inconsistent (including myself here) and we don’t have a stream setup for broadcasting it. I know NorCal has something going on cuz my boy TZA post up results but IDK if they stream.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
I'm telling y'all the d-syncs comes from them adding INTRO DIALOGUE to towers in invasion mode (who the hell asked for this again?) Ever since then the D-syncs been running wild.

NetherRealm Studio's contribution is WB Games contribution. WB Games is the parent company, they own NetherRealm and would have had to either approve said donation or would even have been the ones to set it in the first place. NetherRealm's profits and funds are WB Games'.
From what I understand is that WB put a disclaimer on the ECT tourny info before the event started claiming WB is not funding Pro Tour and that NRS was the ones paying out of pocket alone. Yes I agree WB owns NRS but maybe they are more focused on other games.
Maybe I'm mistaken but don't understand why they would say WB isn't funding Pro Tour if they where on a official Major?
Roofle read the legalize and tournament info and it clearly states:
"The League or Tournaments is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with WBIE"

I'm telling y'all the d-syncs comes from them adding INTRO DIALOGUE to towers in invasion mode (who the hell asked for this again?) Ever since then the D-syncs been running wild.
I believe it's from intros added to KL start of match not Invasion's.
Literally hoards of Fans under Boons/MK official Twitter and in their Community Forum on WBGames all had thousands of requests for intro dialogues in towers, PVP and PVE, said it felt stale. The last patch caused Into Dialogues on KL to create DSync issues if it was skipped and sometimes when it wasn't skipped by either player.
At first they thought skipping it caused the DSyncs but then confirmed it happened when not skipped but happened more when both players skipped.
At this point they don't know what's causing the DSyncs and just removing Intros from KL doesn't seem to be the proper fix for this issue. And from what a NRS employee said on Pigs stream the Fix is different for different platforms like PS5 vs PC.
But he did say they are all working on fixing DSyncs, Glitches, Netcode and bringing our Crossplay nonstop along with adding multiple modes and features they wanted to be in the game on release.
I feel they are absolutely late on fixes but t some degree understand how it could be hard to fix with just a patch like many think.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
@StormGoddess One thing from Aqua's tweat that rings true not just for Mortal Kombat, but all game franchises is that people need to learn to have fun again. These are games, they're entertainment, and they're truly only careers for an extremely small percentage of people.

Years ago I saw someone say eSports had done so much harm to gaming and game design, and they weren't wrong (it's also done good as well).

As someone who enjoys business and understanding business mentality, I'd be curious to hear more about this.

I can't speak for PlayStation (but expect it to be the same), but doing a patch on the Xbox platform has always been a major expense since at least the Xbox 360 days.

It's not the people's fault if they don't find the game fun, and are playing only for money.

When ppl can't play for fun or money what do you think it's going to happen?

I honestly think SF6 it's an extremely fun Game despite what some pros say about no patches, it's one hell of a balanced game, and so is Tekken 8. In both I had way more hours, in MK1 I barely made it to 60H and deleted the game afterward, the game just stinks, and the current design of it, the way characters jump, micro ducks, and breakers not affecting Kameos, kameos that get nerfed every month, the terrible online that Africa continent can't even play among themselves because we get a much longer ping than Sonic fox vs Javier, I made my peace with it and decided to move into a different direction.
I can understand some of you think it's fun, well, those who think it is, should support the game, play in tournaments, and go the offline events, just don't force everyone else who doesn't to do the same.
That would be a far more realistic perspective rather than trying to blame everyone else for not enjoying the game and not knowing what is fun and what isn't.
From a business perspective makes sense to please the fans and make the game workable in the areas that should, to get ppl to play it often even with little money, which is something MK1 as a product wasn't made for.

Sonic fox said in the release that this was the best MK game ever made, we're just staring at him ever since then

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
It's not the people's fault if they don't find the game fun, and are playing only for money.

I honestly think SF6 it's an extremely fun Game despite what some pros say about no patches, it's one hell of a balanced game, and so is Tekken 8. In both I had way more hours, in MK1 I barely made it to 60H and deleted the game afterward, the game just stinks, and the current design of it, the way characters jump, micro ducks, and breakers not affecting Kameos, kameos that get nerfed every month, the terrible online that Africa continent can't even play among themselves because we get a much longer ping than Sonic fox vs Javier, I made my peace with it and decided to move into a different direction.
I can understand some of you think it's fun, well, those who think it is, should support the game, play in tournaments, and go the offline events, just don't force everyone else who doesn't to do the same.
That would be a far more realistic perspective rather than trying to blame everyone else for not enjoying the game and not knowing what is fun and what isn't.
From a business perspective makes sense to please the fans and make the game workable in the areas that should, to get ppl to play it often even with little money, which is something MK1 as a product wasn't made for.

Sonic fox said in the release that this was the best MK game ever made, we're just staring at him ever since then
Thank you. People don’t want to address the elephant in the room that the game isn’t good enough to illicit real passion from most players.

Using these scapegoats like Covid as if other scenes aren’t continuing to grow. Some people in certain countries can’t even play online!

Even our EVO champion doesn’t like the game.

Maybe I'm mistaken but don't understand why they would say WB isn't funding Pro Tour if they where on a official Major?
That's sounds more like legality reasons. My own company is a TV production company, we have our parent co and our productions are separate entities. This is a major legal distinction: Parent Company A needs to be separate in dealing from Production Company B.

The reality is Parent Company A is the one calling the shots. If Production Company B wants to through and event, they need the internal approval and budgeting from Parent Company A.

I think they're going to stop playing the game. Which is what they should do. It's a game.

haketh

Noob
WB is $10+ billion dollars in l debt due to acquisition & previous support for other games didn’t have the ROI for the current owners to justify a larger prize pot. NRS put their own money into the pot for this year, and can we please stop acting like the money that’s up for grabs isn’t a life changing amount still lol.

The million Capcom put up has been a mistake lol.

WB is $10+ billion dollars in l debt due to acquisition & previous support for other games didn’t have the ROI for the current owners to justify a larger prize pot. NRS put their own money into the pot for this year, and can we please stop acting like the money that’s up for grabs isn’t a life changing amount still lol.

Yeah guys, be nice to the multi-billion dollar media conglomerate!

30k is 1st place for Final Kombat. After Taxes and Fees, prolly 20k or so. That's less than a Minimum wage job for a year. "LIFE CHANGING." What you meant to say was "That money that's up for grabs should help Sonic pay rent for a year or so, and the people in 2nd-8th should be able to continue eating food and keep their internet on."

Immortal

Blind justice....

What? You can't be serious. Life changing amount? Even if it was 30k(it's not)... I don't live in USA but man if 30k is life changing amount there i should book my flight right away and move there coz 30k here(EU) is like below average yearly solary. You will live here on it but it wont be anything special and at best can be "life changing" for your dog or cat. Man, life in USA must be cheap lol.

On a serious note it's not even a joke how bad the pro comp is. Capcom did it right, WB just said F.... you, we got your money, you deserve "nothing". That's a sad truth no matter how you or anybody else will try to spin it.

LEGEND

YES!
So much of the current complaints wouldn't even be mentioned if the online wasn't worse than 2011 era. I somehow used to play people in the south and midwest from Socal all the time online on 2mbps Down and 1mbps up Wi-Fi with less problems than I do playing someone now that's 90 miles away with modern internet speeds and wired.