What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 Post-Release General Discussion Thread

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
So all the good/retro/revamp skins will be in the shop...:mad:

MK11 was boring but at least there were good skins packs coming with dlcs.
Here, MK1 is fun but season pass has the same price without any skins packs.

You suck, WB.
My main thing is I just wish we knew what was actually available for each character like in MK11. It does suck a lot of it is locked behind the premium store, but we also haven't a CLUE what all cosmetics are in the game.

Benlo

PrayforSareena
Guys, you can still get some of those skins at the shrine, for free. Same with the evil Sindel one on the first season.
The story skins, yep.

Skins with a little star are exclusive to the shop. Of course the most interesting ones : /

darklightjg1

Lost Street Fighter Player
Question: Are tournaments still best 3 out of 5 or have they been changed to 2 out of 3 until finals? The online change threw me off and I need to know for the locals I help run (we run multiple fighting games, so it would be good to know for time reasons).

I love how everyone doubts Sonic's judgement like they didn't just win the first MK1 major with a character nobody except Sonic thought was good. How thick do people need to pack on clown makeup before they realize that maybe Sonic knows stuff about fighting games lol.

There's a whole ass thread on the MK subreddit packed wall to wall with people saying how wrong Sonic is about needing to buff kameos. Like...imagine the best player in your chosen fighting game giving an opinion and feeling qualified to say "no you are wrong about this best-MK-player-of-all-time, I know more about what's good in this game and what's good for this game than you do".

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I love how everyone doubts Sonic's judgement like they didn't just win the first MK1 major with a character nobody except Sonic thought was good. How thick do people need to pack on clown makeup before they realize that maybe Sonic knows stuff about fighting games lol.

There's a whole ass thread on the MK subreddit packed wall to wall with people saying how wrong Sonic is about needing to buff kameos. Like...imagine the best player in your chosen fighting game giving an opinion and feeling qualified to say "no you are wrong about this best-MK-player-of-all-time, I know more about what's good in this game and what's good for this game than you do".
I'm sorry, but being a good player and having weird takes regarding tier lists are not mutually exclusive. Sonic also had some questionable tier lists in MK11 IIRC while there was mostly a consensus on the community as well.

There is not a single way, in hell, that Mileena is worse than Reptile, for example. I will die on that hill. Maybe this tier list just reflects "characters sonicfox likes to play the most weighting his sucess rate with them as well". Which is all fine and dandy but doesnt really it should be taken as a traditional tier list.

I'm sorry, but being a good player and having weird takes regarding tier lists are not mutually exclusive. Sonic also had some questionable tier lists in MK11 IIRC while there was mostly a consensus on the community as well.

There is not a single way, in hell, that Mileena is worse than Reptile, for example. I will die on that hill. Maybe this tier list just reflects "characters sonicfox likes to play the most weighting his sucess rate with them as well". Which is all fine and dandy but doesnt really it should be taken as a traditional tier list.
I would agree that Sonic could be some wacko character stan that makes it harder on themselves by playing characters that suck, but the proof is in the pudding. No one thought Rain was good until Sonic won with him. No one thought Sindel was good, and now here we are. Thought Baraka and Cyrax were busted before anyone knew that. Called out Smoke as mid tier while everyone thought he was broken.

I'm not saying it's impossible that Sonic's take on a character is wrong at some given time, but you're talking about the best to ever play the game, and someone who literally dedicates their life to labbing and competing. Your first reaction when someone like that says a character is strong should be to assume they're right and try to get to the bottom of what you've missed before saying "no way, the GOAT is wrong".

And if the argument is that a character is only strong in Sonic's hands, well, that's not really the character's fault, nor Sonic's. A "tier list" to me means the upper limit for a character compared to other characters in a competitive setting, not an indication of how easy it is for the community to figure out and use broken stuff.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
I would agree that Sonic could be some wacko character stan that makes it harder on themselves by playing characters that suck, but the proof is in the pudding. No one thought Rain was good until Sonic won with him. No one thought Sindel was good, and now here we are. Thought Baraka and Cyrax were busted before anyone knew that. Called out Smoke as mid tier while everyone thought he was broken.

I'm not saying it's impossible that Sonic's take on a character is wrong at some given time, but you're talking about the best to ever play the game, and someone who literally dedicates their life to labbing and competing. Your first reaction when someone like that says a character is strong should be to assume they're right and try to get to the bottom of what you've missed before saying "no way, the GOAT is wrong".

And if the argument is that a character is only strong in Sonic's hands, well, that's not really the character's fault, nor Sonic's. A "tier list" to me means the upper limit for a character compared to other characters in a competitive setting, not an indication of how easy it is for the community to figure out and use broken stuff.
Just coming to say that I actually mostly agree with his tier lists, there are just some oddballs here and there (and not in just this particular tier list). It's just the Mileena being worse than Reptile that sticks out as a sore thumb here lol - I main both and while I am light-years behind him and most pro players, she simply is better than Reppy in the current state of the game.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
lol at Sonic tier list ..... KItana , Shao and Reptile above Mileena and Baraka ? such a joke :rolleyes:

the game has only 2 months, so, only after next year, after the first Evo results, where this game will be really tested to extreme, that I will give a shit for some pro player tier list around internet .....

until there, any of these lists are pure bullshit speculation :laughing:

The aspects hes rating on dont affect the laymen, for instance casuals dont flawless block mileena overhead. Hes made some clickbait videos about low tiers being broke in past but lets not act like our opinion can hold a candle to his autistic savant esque views

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
The aspects hes rating on dont affect the laymen, for instance casuals dont flawless block mileena overhead. Hes made some clickbait videos about low tiers being broke in past but lets not act like our opinion can hold a candle to his autistic savant esque views
Casuals also dont exploit the gap in b31 in Reptile, and most Mileena players will cancel Mileena's 12 into Lao's low hat, mixing the flawless block timing, so while I agree his opinions hold indeed a ton more weight than we commoners, they are definitely questionable on some punctuable instances - again, this doesn't detract from the player, as a fully accurate tier list is simply something that hasn't existed NRS games, and probably never will.

I hear what you guys are saying, and I'm not even saying that Sonic is definitely right in this case, but before claiming they're wrong I feel that it's important to understand why they're saying a character is strong before claiming the contrary. If you get the explanation, and the explanation itself doesn't hold water, that's a different thing. But people just kneejerk saying "nuh uh, that character sucks" are doing themselves a disservice by ignoring the fact that the best player on the whole planet is telling them that the character has some tools that maybe people aren't appreciating.

Can anyone explain how this was fine to play in but a wifi connection with 40-60ms has been consistently awful these last few days? I'm perplexed, because when I was matched up with this, I thought it would be even worse than it has been but, no, the only lag that happened was during a Fatal Blow and a outro pose. It's driving me nuts.

darklightjg1

Lost Street Fighter Player
They seriously need to allow you to decline any match beforehand for any reason. Two of the recent matches I had to immediately quit and get penalized anyway even though I knew it was going to be unplayable even before the announcer finishes saying "Round 1 Fight".

Also still open question: Are offline tournaments still going to be 3 out of 5 matches even though KL has been patched to be 2 out of 3?

They seriously need to allow you to decline any match beforehand for any reason. Two of the recent matches I had to immediately quit and get penalized anyway even though I knew it was going to be unplayable even before the announcer finishes saying "Round 1 Fight".

Also still open question: Are offline tournaments still going to be 3 out of 5 matches even though KL has been patched to be 2 out of 3?
it would need to be that it detects the connection is too slow and give the win to the better connection, because if ranked has option to leave it becomes player match

Even though it was said in the patch notes it was fixed,i still cant use shang tsung,tremor and any steam store dlc item like jcvd johnny if im am in offline mode on PC steam,vety annoying.

does it actually work for someone here,and you can access it all offline?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Even though it was said in the patch notes it was fixed,i still cant use shang tsung,tremor and any steam store dlc item like jcvd johnny if im am in offline mode on PC steam,vety annoying.

does it actually work for someone here,and you can access it all offline?
Yeah Idk how you can access that stuff offline. Never understood how that works because I have the same issue on PS5

Yeah Idk how you can access that stuff offline. Never understood how that works because I have the same issue on PS5
the issue alone is confusing but whats even more confusing is they said in the patch notes it was supposed to be fixed yet it still doesnt work haha.

it was a pretty frequent complaint,i guess we will get there eventually...

Why am I so free to Scorpion players that just sit full screen and throw spears and/or Sareena knives? Players like that are a 9-1 matchup for me and it is not a good time.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Why am I so free to Scorpion players that just sit full screen and throw spears and/or Sareena knives? Players like that are a 9-1 matchup for me and it is not a good time.
Spear is a high, so are Sareena’s boomerang knives. So in general, you can either just dash block in and duck, or walk him down and duck. But you also don’t even have to do that. Spear has a lot of recovery. In the past you’ve said you use Shao & Mileena. So with Shao, you can literally full screen punish him by ducking the Spear and then simply db4. Same with Mileena, she can not only roll under his Spear, she can duck his spear and then roll from pretty much full screen for a punish. She also can do her Teleport after ducking the Spear.

Just gotta hit the lab when you come across certain strategies you’re not sure how to deal with.