What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 Post-Release General Discussion Thread

PrinceGoro

Apprentice
@CanoCano Bro you just posted,harada shooting down mindless DEI hacks on twitter,pestering him about diversity lmao.

You literally posted evidence of what im saying.

One of the premises of tekken is the tournament gathering the storngest fighters from ALL ACROSS THE GLOBE.So when he is talking about carefully researching the culture of a particular country its because when making a new character they want it to be correct and represent the country.Not because of DEI.

And it was created that way naturally not because some cult demanded diversity.

As for leo,i dont remember what his original lore is when he was created,something like its a guy going undercover posing as a girl or something like that,and then as people wanted clarificaation if he is trans,some being even demanding tbat he is,harad said its open to interrpretation,he is whatever you want him to be along those lines.

So yeah,thanks for the twitter caps i guess.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
@CanoCano Bro you just posted,harada shooting down mindless DEI hacks on twitter,pestering him about diversity lmao.

One of the premises of tekken is the tournament gathering the storngest fighters from ALL ACROSS THE GLOBE.So when he is talking about carefully researching the culture of a particular country its because when making a new character they want it to be correct and represent the country.Not because of DEI.

As for leo,i dont remember what his original lore is when he was created,something like its a guy going undercover posing as a girl or something like that,and then as people wanted clarificaation if he is trans,some being even demanding tbat he is,harad said its open to interrpretation,he is whatever you want him to be along those lines.

Leo is trans. They were androgynous in their debut game, then later on it was hard confirmed Leo is a woman, and in Tekken 8 Leo is now referred to as a man

Juxtapose

Master
To add to this, the 2 Year Cycle (which was most likely pushed by WB) doesn't help either
Two years is by far not enough to make a polished AAA game these days so conditioning the execs and public to expect an MK game every four years definitely hurt MK12's chances of having longer development time
According to Digital Foundry, most AAA games (polished or not) now take around 4-6 years to develop and release.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
To add to this, the 2 Year Cycle (which was most likely pushed by WB) doesn't help either
Two years is by far not enough to make a polished AAA game these days so conditioning the execs and public to expect an MK game every four years definitely hurt MK12's chances of having longer development time
The two-year cycle has been around since the very first game, before WB. Shortest between games has been 1 year, longest has been 3 years (only in the gaps between generations. Arcade-Special Forces and Armageddon-MK9).

But it seems like it's done now. The biggest hurdle was COVID, which took everybody out of the studio.

Subby Z

Mortal

Sooo I agree with you.

I think MK1 in particular injected a whole new Universe (that doesn’t work btw) in order to shoehorn a lot of progressive ideas. That’s why it’s torn the fanbase because whether this other part of the fanbase wants to admit it or not nobody likes this shit. They ruined their 30 year old characters for what? Do you see Tekken or Street Fighter doing this? I don’t.

There will be the detractors coming in here placing laughing emojis or downplaying you as racist or bigoted. It’s just a way to negate or downplay your opinion and make them feel superior, but it’s valid just as there’s is. Harada arguing with that twitter user is a PRIME example of trying to bully someone into doing something and it’s why the progressive shit is failing.

Nobody wants to feel forced or bullied into an opinion nor feel preached at when they turn on a game or any form of media.

Racism and Bigotry are abhorrent and we should all shun those views. However, the gender swapping, race swapping, and virtue signaling have become tired. It seems like everyone making MK has really lost the plot.

Subby Z

Mortal
and which would that be?
Liu Kang’s Universe. It’s not good and lots of shit just makes zero sense. The changes don’t make sense because Liu Kang says he can’t alter anyone’s fate in some areas, but then he apparently can in others which is just insane. The shit didn’t work. Go ahead and tell me it did and when even less fans come back for the next game we can talk about this again.

Nobody wanted their favorite characters heavily changed or just made into someone else entirely. Nobody asked for that. Sorry

kabelfritz

Master
Liu Kang’s Universe. It’s not good and lots of shit just makes zero sense. The changes don’t make sense because Liu Kang says he can’t alter anyone’s fate in some areas, but then he apparently can in others which is just insane. The shit didn’t work. Go ahead and tell me it did and when even less fans come back for the next game we can talk about this again.

Nobody wanted their favorite characters heavily changed or just made into someone else entirely. Nobody asked for that. Sorry
liu kangs struggle is that he can actually change individual lifes and circumstances for a while, but in the end the flow of time always forces things into the same direction. its said in the story and the same happened to kronika. so this is not really contradictory. and about the changes, i actually like what they did to the chars, like young raiden or quack shang.

Eji1700

Kombatant
liu kangs struggle is that he can actually change individual lifes and circumstances for a while, but in the end the flow of time always forces things into the same direction. its said in the story and the same happened to kronika. so this is not really contradictory. and about the changes, i actually like what they did to the chars, like young raiden or quack shang.
Eh some of it is interesting, but most of it is pretty bland?

There are some neat narrative ideas in there (like say, shang/quan being pissed as hell finding out that they've been damned by god), but the plot undercuts the shit out of them to basically make everyone good or have an excuse to be bad (except literally sub zero, who's apparently just an asshole).

The "I can't change destiny" thing is fine, but boring, and technically not even super consistent given it sure seems like the evil characters could make good guys evil in their universe. Or looking at someone like sindel (although if she was always fucking evil or not I don't even think NRS knows anymore).

All in all it's a pretty wet blanket of a plot. Yes it makes some sense that traditionally evil characters are now good guys because Liu rules the universe and is trying to be a positive force. Mostly this feels like bad comic book writing where you get some "game changing plot event" that really just means they gender bend/twist a few characters somehow but otherwise it's business as usual.

I'm not saying fighting game plot should be shakespear (hell mk is probably one of the better written fighting game plots), but it certainly isn't remotely ambitious given the material they have to work with.

kabelfritz

Master
Eh some of it is interesting, but most of it is pretty bland?

There are some neat narrative ideas in there (like say, shang/quan being pissed as hell finding out that they've been damned by god), but the plot undercuts the shit out of them to basically make everyone good or have an excuse to be bad (except literally sub zero, who's apparently just an asshole).

The "I can't change destiny" thing is fine, but boring, and technically not even super consistent given it sure seems like the evil characters could make good guys evil in their universe. Or looking at someone like sindel (although if she was always fucking evil or not I don't even think NRS knows anymore).

All in all it's a pretty wet blanket of a plot. Yes it makes some sense that traditionally evil characters are now good guys because Liu rules the universe and is trying to be a positive force. Mostly this feels like bad comic book writing where you get some "game changing plot event" that really just means they gender bend/twist a few characters somehow but otherwise it's business as usual.

I'm not saying fighting game plot should be shakespear (hell mk is probably one of the better written fighting game plots), but it certainly isn't remotely ambitious given the material they have to work with.
i didnt say the story was great. but i think it doesnt have is weakness in the premise but i the awfully cheesy dialogues and individual scenes.

and which would that be?
-Turning Sektor and Cyrax into Iron-man/blue beetle ripoffs
-Turning Tanya into a ripoff of black panther
-Almost every classic villian (Baraka, Reptile, Shao, Quan Chi, Havik) now has some self-pitying sob story. No need to have actual villians when the multiverse exists, right?
-Marvel is just plastered everywhere in general. Johnny Cage's entire personality is making lame quips the entire story mode, the whole plot is a ripoff of Endgame, etc.

kabelfritz

Master
-Turning Sektor and Cyrax into Iron-man/blue beetle ripoffs
-Turning Tanya into a ripoff of black panther
-Almost every classic villian (Baraka, Reptile, Shao, Quan Chi, Havik) now has some self-pitying sob story. No need to have actual villians when the multiverse exists, right?
-Marvel is just plastered everywhere in general. Johnny Cage's entire personality is making lame quips the entire story mode, the whole plot is a ripoff of Endgame, etc.
while imitating stuff isnt great (and marvel neither imo), i dont see the political connection you made.