What's new

Mortal Kombat 1 Official Announcement Trailer

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
If the leaks are true, KP1 will have 3 guests, Peacemaker being one of them.

While I don't hate any of the rumoured characters in their own media, I'm not sure how well they'd fit with MK1's seemingly more grounded tone.

The reason I bring up Peacemaker is because I feel like even in his own show he looks goofy as fuck, and I think he'll be a bad fit, but at the same he's a reminder that we could have gotten Injustice 3.

I am very very happy we did not get Injustice 3.
I hate guest characters in general, but if they must be in I definitely don't want goofy ass mfers like peacemaker. We have Clown Chi, that's enough clown for the whole franchise. I prefer more serious characters like Kratos.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!

While I don't hate any of the rumoured characters in their own media, I'm not sure how well they'd fit with MK1's seemingly more grounded tone.

The reason I bring up Peacemaker is because I feel like even in his own show he looks goofy as fuck, and I think he'll be a bad fit, but at the same he's a reminder that we could have gotten Injustice 3.

Let it be known I have often defended guest characters on this site, but Peacemaker and Homelander seemingly do not fit the tone of this game at all. But Johnny is confirmed, so we might have some more modern arenas and elements, it may make sense eventually.

Conan was also leaked by the MK1 leakers and I can see him easily fitting into the tone this game is setting up at the very least. Idk we'll see

Agilaz

It has begun
Let it be known I have often defended guest characters on this site, but Peacemaker and Homelander seemingly do not fit the tone of this game at all. But Johnny is confirmed, so we might have some more modern arenas and elements, it may make sense eventually.

Conan was also leaked by the MK1 leakers and I can see him easily fitting into the tone this game is setting up at the very least. Idk we'll see
Conan would legit be amazing.

Watch them leave out Kotal and give his moveset to Conan lmao

He already had what was basically a Conan skin in MK11

Hey man

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
Conan would legit be amazing.

Watch them leave out Kotal and give his moveset to Conan lmao

He already had what was basically a Conan skin in MK11
If Kotal isn't in the game, I legit bet this is what they will do lmao. Also, calling it now, Red Sonja kameo to go with him.

Actually yeah, I bet the kameos could match some of the dlc. Peacemaker could have Vigilante come with him. Say we get Sareena for example, Jakarta could come with her

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Looks interesting conceptually. Exited to see gameplay. I’m assuming Sub Zero will be Bi-Han this time, and Scorpion might be a human but I couldn’t tell. Could be a fun change.

Shang as the preorder bonus though? Could we at least get a character that wasn’t DLC in the last game or in the base roaster a few games ago? Goro and Shao Kahn were much better choices for a pre order bonus

Looks interesting conceptually. Exited to see gameplay. I’m assuming Sub Zero will be Bi-Han this time, and Scorpion might be a human but I couldn’t tell. Could be a fun change.

Shang as the preorder bonus though? Could we at least get a character that wasn’t DLC in the last game or in the base roaster a few games ago? Goro and Shao Kahn were much better choices for a pre order bonus
Agreed. It's also crazy to put Shang (a dlc character) in the trailer as the antagonist, since Liu Kang erased him from existence in the last game. He probably won't be in the story mode but that's still weird.

Onryoki

We all die alone. So love yourself before you go.
The kameo thing I dislike because I don’t like fighting games with assists. NRS does this thing in which they change things up, sometimes drastically, but instead of sf6 with modern controls or other games where it’s optional, everyone HAS to play this way. Variations weren’t optional we had to all play with some moves locked away, if this kameo stuff is like a separate mode I’m not tripping. Then if someone wants to play it they can but people like me don’t have to. But I’m sure they will make it mandatory which means more than likely I won’t be playing the game sadly just isn’t my thing.
Don’t you think it’s a tad too early to already make up your mind? I’m sure the assists will work out fine and will most likely just be a part of solo gameplay.

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
Maybe raiden is the new shujinko, just some martial arts and can copy styles or whatever it was shujinko did
Please don't.... Copying moves of others is so lame & boring that only guest characters are worst. In my book of course.

I now just wonder if those two we see in the trailer are indeed Sub-Zero & Scorpion or just some casual Shiray-Ryu & Lin Kuei goons. They are also the faces of the "KAMEO Fighters" on the MK website - and to be honest, they look so... normal? just not like our well-known, pimped and polished poster boys.

What do you guys think?

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Okay, my quick thoughts:

Liu Kang looked Godlike (heh)

Kitana and Mileena looked amazing

Kung Lao and Raiden looked good enough - I am not sold on the attires

Scorpion and Sub Zero looked like cheap shit. I hate hoodless masks for the male ninjas and thank God for alt skins

No, people - Shang Tsung killing the cast is not canon. It's the same shock value we had in the MK11 trailer where Scorpion kills Raiden (for those who have doubt)

Prediction: This game will have the ENTIRE MK roster. 40 playable MK characters, and all the rest 40-50 will be Kameo Fighters (glorified assists). But at the end of the day, all the characters will have models and will be visible.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Agreed. It's also crazy to put Shang (a dlc character) in the trailer as the antagonist, since Liu Kang erased him from existence in the last game. He probably won't be in the story mode but that's still weird.
pretty sure Shang will be in the story mode. Saw speculation that both of the endings in MK11: Aftermath could be canon

I now just wonder if those two we see in the trailer are indeed Sub-Zero & Scorpion or just some casual Shiray-Ryu & Lin Kuei goons. They are also the faces of the "KAMEO Fighters" on the MK website - and to be honest, they look so... normal? just not like our well-known, pimped and polished poster boys.
This is most definitely not the case. The character designs are obviously just more simplified in this game (And honestly thank Christ for that.)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Can you blame them? MK has always been focused on 1v1. Yeah NRS has the tendency to just throw out entire game systems between entries, and that tends to piss people off.

Just look at how many people hated MK11 because it lacked most of the bullshit MKX had. With NRS' balancing track record, people are more than right to be worried lol

Best case scenario it's gonna be a 1v1 fighter with well balanced assist moves, worst case scenario it's gonna be MK11 holiday towers but in online PVP
Yes, I can. There’s no point in putting energy into complaining about something that you have absolutely no idea what exactly it is, and/or how exactly it works. I’d at least be more understanding if they showed the mechanic off and went over how it works. I’d say it’s probably still premature, but as I said, it’s a hell of a lot more understandable than acting like this is the worst news ever when you don’t even fully understand what the mechanic is. It could, in fact, be the best thing about the new MK game. We just don’t know yet.

If people were just saying “I’m worried about the Kameo Fighters and how that’ll work out, hopefully I’m wrong but I have my doubts” or something to that effect, again, that’d at least make some sense and be better than acting like the sky is falling based on a limited text description on what exactly it is.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Also, personal opinion of mine:

Playable (MAIN) characters will NOT be Kameo Fighters

Kameo Fighters will NOT be playable characters.

So Kameo roster will be used in a way to effectively deconfirm playable characters. So if Ashrah is a Kameo Fighter, I will consider her 99.9% NOT playable.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!

So Kameo roster will be used in a way to effectively deconfirm playable characters. So if Ashrah is a Kameo Fighter, I will consider her 99.9% NOT playable.
I think this HAS to be the case because they already confirmed Kameos will be DLC on their own, and I doubt they'll sell you the same character twice in the same game.

I love Kameo Fighters as a way to show off some MK characters who didn't make it into the main roster. I'm just worried about NRS balancing.

Relatedly, I was disappointed to see the trailer end on a Liu Kang fatality, meaning he's a playable character... MK11's favoritism of him made me salty enough to not want to see that with god powers on top.

I really like that they confirmed that yes, Mileena still has her teeth. And that Kung Lao and Raiden seem to have finally given up on wearing their silly headsocks.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me

Actually think this is true. At first I thought "Maybe every playable character can be a Kameo, but not every Kameo can be playable."

But looking at the website it does say "Choose from a UNIQUE roster of Kameo fighting partners to assist you in battle."

And the FAQ also reiterates it's a unique roster of characters.