What's new

Mortal Kombat – Official Restricted Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect, I think the new movie's Reiko is actually a lot more game-accurate than you're all giving them credit for. This is very close to how he looked in Armageddon, the only thing missing is the eye makeup and he has a shirt on.

View attachment 18112

And let's not forget that this is Reiko we're talking about here, who was just a last-minute skin swap for Noob Saibot in MK4 so they had some new characters. He had a rubbish story, terrible ending, whose only defining traits were that he wore a burgundy ninja suit and... oh my god... had some Alice Cooper makeup on! :eek:

When he was so lame in the first place that he was just a palette swap with some face-paint on, is it really the end of the world that in the new movie he just doesn't have two oversized doodles of eyeliner? Because by moaning he doesn't have the 80s wrestler greasepaint to me just goes to show how lame Reiko always was; that's all he had going for him, that's his only characteristic.

Anyway who knows, maybe something happens in the film that results in his face being burnt that result in similar black charred scarring, or he receives ceremonial face-paint further along in the story, or maybe they performed screen-tests with the makeup and it just looked terrible?

Regardless, the above comparison for me shows that he's actually really quite accurate to his Armageddon appearance... and really is there much risk of them ruining one of the weakest and laziest character designs that MK's ever had anyway just because of some face-paint?
Neat man, I have absolutely nothing riding on Reiko. I do not expect this to be the Reiko movie. All I'm saying is he looks COOLER with the face paint and glowing eyes. And more accurate to how he was in the game (to the extent that most of us wouldn't have even known it was him in the movie without being told). No where in my post did I "moan" it was "the end of the world" if he didn't have face paint. The depiction of Reiko has no barring on whether this movie will be good or not to me, that would be insane.

Also I'm not about to defend Reiko as a character on the goddamn internet, but yeah I've always thought he was kinda a neat character too. Fuck me, right?

Art Lean

Noob
And more accurate to how he was in the game (to the extent that most of us wouldn't have even known it was him in the movie without being told). No where in my post did I "moan" it was "the end of the world" if he didn't have face paint. The depiction of Reiko has no barring on whether this movie will be good or not to me, that would be insane.

Also I'm not about to defend Reiko as a character on the goddamn internet, but yeah I've always thought he was kinda a neat character too. Fuck me, right?
Not saying you were moaning or that you suggested it was a big deal at all, so wasn't singling you out, it's actually something I've seen complained about by numerous people across the internet that I just wanted to counter; namely that in my opinion the only major thing separating the Armageddon Reiko from the new movie Reiko are aesthetic details about his eyes... and if that's all that's different about him to not be recognisable as Reiko, well that for me says more about Reiko than anything else.

You're more than entitled to like the character, hell I quite enjoyed him in Conquest, it was nice to see Kahn having a truly loyal general, and I love burgundy so actually really like his colour scheme haha, so please don't misinterpret my post as a dig against you, it honestly wasn't and meant no disrespect, was just a general defence of the new movie's design for him. :)

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
Mortal Kombat Stars Ludi Lin & Max Huang Want a Shaolin Monk Spinoff [EXCLUSIVE]
Exclusive:
Mortal Kombat stars Ludi Lin and Max Huang want a Shaolin monk spinoff starring Liu Kang and Kung Lao set after the new movie.

BY COOPER HOODPUBLISHED 4 HOURS AGO

Mortal Kombat stars Max Huang and Ludi Lin want to star in a Shaolin monk spinoff next. Warner Bros. is nearing the launch of its live-action Mortal Kombat reboot. The popular video game franchise had a short-lived movie franchise in the late 1990s, and it took over two decades for another attempt to be made. Mortal Kombat includes most of the game's iconic characters and has immediate franchise or cinematic universe potential given the expansive nature of the source material.

The massive roster of fighters Mortal Kombat features includes Liu Kang and Kung Lao. Former Power Rangers star Ludi Lin plays Liu Kang, one of the central protagonists in the franchise and repeat defender of Earthrealm. Kung Lao will be played by longtime stuntman Max Huang. Kung Lao and Liu Kang are both Shaolin monks in the Mortal Kombat world and have one of the strongest friendships in the series. The friends will both participate in Mortal Kombat's tournament, but the actors are already hoping for a spinoff.

Prior to Mortal Kombat's simultaneous release in theaters and on HBO Max on April 23, 2021, Screen Rant spoke to the cast and crew about the film and what they'd like to see happen next. During our interview with Max Huang and Ludi Lin, we asked them about their hopes for the franchise's future. They both think there are a lot of directions Mortal Kombat could go next, including a Shaolin monk spinoff for their characters.

Max Huang: I think because the world and all the realms and the whole universe of Mortal Kombat is so big and it's constantly growing - that's the beauty of it, that it's constantly evolving - I think that I would love to see a Shaolin monk spinoff. Telling Liu Kang and Kung Lao's original story. That would be the ultimate dream, because I have so many ideas that I would love to put it in there. And that would be my favorite.

Ludi Lin: I would spinoff of that, because I think the end of the movie leaves a perfect setup for that series. Liu Kang loses something that's really important to him, without missing any spoilers. It's another world and a perfect opportunity to walk through some of those doors.

A Liu Kang and Kung Lao spinoff does have some precedence in the Mortal Kombat franchise, so Huang and Lin could get their wish. The two fighters first appeared together in 1993's Mortal Kombat II but Midway developed a spinoff for them several years later. Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks explored Liu Kang and Kung Lao's stories in a non-canon alternate reality between the events of the first two games. The game follows them traveling to Outworld to stop Shang Tsung's plans to conquer Earthrealm and features other major characters like Sonya Blade, Raiden, Johnny Cage, and Goro.

Even though Warner Bros. hasn't announced any plans to continue the Mortal Kombat franchise beyond this first film, a Shaolin monk spinoff for Liu Kang and Kung Lao could be a great decision. It could be developed as a spinoff movie or HBO Max Original series. While Liu Kang and Kung Lao will appear in Mortal Kombat, it is unclear how prominent their roles are since the story revolves around Scorpion and Sub-Zero's feud and the movie's new character Cole Young. If Mortal Kombat is a hit upon its release, it might not be long before multiple spinoffs or sequels enter development.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I can’t remember where I saw it, and for some reason can’t find it (well, I saw it on twitter, but it was a link to an article). But I had read somewhere that one of the potential reasons the Mortal Kombat movie got delayed slightly may be because of some technical issues currently with HBO Max. There were a few listed, but the only one I remember was there’s an issue of a white bar appearing on the right side of some users TV. I thought it was strange because the movie is being released in the theaters as well. I’m not sure whether or not these movies that are being released on HBO Max as well as the theaters get more views on HBO Max or the theaters, but I’d imagine it gets more on HBO Max.

Anyway, like I said, I can’t find that source anywhere. It could have been just someone making a guess just for clickbait.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Reptile has been living in a bizarre modern reality since 1997

Regarding Reiko, I'm probably one of his biggest fans. And yet I don't see any reason to complain about his depiction so far. Guy that isn't Shao Kahn using a war hammer is basically Reiko. You could already tell from that still image released months ago where Jax was holding against a big hammer.
Reiko isn't a popular character, not even a big portion of the MK fanbase care about him. But we Reiko fans (all ten of us) will be happy to see him in the movie. And dying at the hands of Jax, another one of my favourite characters no less.

And look:

It may not be his traditional face paint, but he still has some shit on his face.

Slymind

Noob
Everyone from the actors to people behind cameras seems to be excited about the project, i really hope for the best.

Art Lean

Noob
Really can't wait to see this, that behind the scenes reel looks fantastic. We've come so far from that first promo shot of the main hero cast in a supermarket that everyone feared for a K-Pop boy band rendition of a Mortal Kombat movie.

Reptile has been living in a bizarre modern reality since 1997

Regarding Reiko, I'm probably one of his biggest fans. And yet I don't see any reason to complain about his depiction so far. Guy that isn't Shao Kahn using a war hammer is basically Reiko. You could already tell from that still image released months ago where Jax was holding against a big hammer.
Reiko isn't a popular character, not even a big portion of the MK fanbase care about him. But we Reiko fans (all ten of us) will be happy to see him in the movie. And dying at the hands of Jax, another one of my favourite characters no less.

And look:

It may not be his traditional face paint, but he still has some shit on his face.
Here's an even clearer shot of Reiko's facial markings and turns out he does actually have white eyes (albeit with pupils):

Art Lean

Noob
Just for the fun of it, let's go back in time and revisit those first ever cast photos from the end of 2019 that looked like a k-pop band (the guys even joked about it too, see below) and had everyone fearing the worst :D

“Are we going to 1. Cook the most delicious Asian fusion dinner you ever had 2. About to drop a fire pop album in four different languages 3. About to have an epic fight scene in the middle of the supermarket over the last green tea ice cream. You pick... Great working with these talented actors who can fight !! #MortalKombat“ – Lewis Tan

“With my new brothers!” – Max Huang

“A quad of Asians coming soon to a grocery aisle near you!” – Ludi Lin

“’Fatality Boys' new album cover!!! R-rating poses !! R-rating location #liukang #kunglao #bihan #mortalkombat“ – Joe Taslim

Spoilers are coming in for this film and holy shit after reading so many and having the 2018 script draft myself, I am 100% excited to see this film in a couple of weeks here in America. I'm so happy with what I am hearing.

Slymind

Noob
It really suprises me that Boon is completely ignoring this movie, he tweets about everything concerning entertainment and yet not a single tweet for this movie.

I assume he is being cautious in case the movie is not good.

Anyway, starting to get excited about this as we approach the release date.

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
HOLY SHIT KUNG LAO TELEPORT

I guess Sub-Zero isn't going to be defeated by a bucket of water this time!
LOL ! ! ! ! ! !

Nice ! ! ! :):):)

I'm guessing Joe Taslim's subzero is going to need scorpion's and kang's fire combined to have his butt kicked.

And ,yes, Kung Lao looks amaaaaazing

It really suprises me that Boon is completely ignoring this movie, he tweets about everything concerning entertainment and yet not a single tweet for this movie.

I assume he is being cautious in case the movie is not good.

Anyway, starting to get excited about this as we approach the release date.
It's possible that there's movie related content coming and Boon and the other NRS employees aren't allowed to tweet or mention it until whatever their working on or is announced or the movie is officially out in the US. It's very weird none of them have mentioned anything about the movie yet.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Small bit of a fight scene...
No spoilers actually, but I thought I'd mask it under the "SPOILER" filter anyway...

Can we appreciate the fact that the knockdown of sub-zero from kung lao's hat was pretty brutal looking.
I really hope the movie shows brutal fight scenes, less like Marvel fights and more like The Raid fights

Status
Not open for further replies.