What's new

More on Krypt Chests and Unlockables

Peter Quill

You’re No Fun
NOTE: This is unfinished, as we still don't know everything. With the Krypt being mostly random, it's hard to find what's not and what is really guaranteed.

Sorry if you already knew this stuff, but I wanted to make a post to try to help everyone understand The Krypt better. You can help me by posting what you've gotten in the higher quality chests below, so I can update this with clearer information.

EDIT: Full Krypt breakdown with maps and more on IGN: https://www.ign.com/wikis/mortal-kombat-11/Krypt_Walkthrough_and_Guide#Developer_Clarification
^This was posted in it's own thread by @LawAbidingCitizen

About Chests:
  • Normal Chests: Mostly random, both in price and contents. Can contain anything from Variation Icons to Skins, and can cost anywhere from 1000 - 250,000 Koins (apparently that's been the reported cap). However, not all Normal Chests are random as some contain fixed contents. Some of these fixed contents are just Key Items for the Krypt to help you progress, but others seem to be actual unlockables like Concept Art and such. Skins aren't out of the question yet. Example: I was told that a chest in the corner of the room you begin at in the Krypt (the one where you meet Shang Tsung) would contain 3 Jade Concept Art, and sure enough it did.
  • Soul Chests: Costs 100 Souls. Seems to guarantee higher quality items; not necessarily Gear and Skins, but things like rare Key Items and such. Some of these can also have Kollector Trade Items.
  • Hellfire Chests: Costs 100 Hearts. Contents in these chests are fixed.
  • Shao Kahn Chests: Costs 250 Hearts. Contents in these chests are fixed.
  • Kronika Vaults (Chests): Appear at specific locations only at certain times. Costs 5,000 Koins. Seems to guarantee Gear with a high chance of a Skin.
  • Blindfold Chests: These are chests that can only be seen when you have the Blindfold on. The locations ARE NOT random, but the contents are. You use Koins to buy these, and the amount they cost can vary. Most that I've opened have contained a Kollector Trade Item.
  • Special Chests: Some Chests are unique in The Krypt. Example: there is a Submerged Chest in the pond in The Dead Woods that cost 250,000 Koins and 3,000 Souls. The contents are set and it gives you a bunch of skins. There may be more special Chests like this.
Additionally, there are more ways to unlock things in the Krypt:
  • Nakadan Shrine: You can donate Koins here to gain random items. The amount you donate may have an impact on the rarity of item you get. There are also certain konsumables you can use in the Krypt that boost the chance of you getting a higher quality item. IMPORTANT NOTES: The first time you donate, you will always get a set Key Item for the Krypt for progression. It doesn't matter if you spend 1000 or 50,000 Koins, you will always get this item. For the first time donating, be sure to only give 1000 Koins so you don't waste any of your currency. Secondly, there is an achievement/trophy assiocated with this Shrine; if you spend a total of 50,000 Koins in donations, you will get it.
  • The Kollector: Only appears at certain times, but it seems you can guarantee him to appear by using certain konsumables. When you speak to him, he will offer 5 random trades. Each of these trades require you to use one of the Kollector Trade Items found in Chests I mentioned above earlier. If you have the item(s) he wants, you can trade them in return for FIXED Skin, Gear piece, or Augment. Can be found in Goro's Lair at these coordinates: 6467, -1396. UPDATE BY @Inzzane_79
  • Fire Spider: In Goro's Lair you will eventually get to a Kytinn Hive area, where Fire Spiders roam and try to kill you. It seems the first one you kill (by using your hammer) will always reward you with a FIXED D'Vorah Skin called "Water Strider" I believe.
  • Reptile: Once found, he will run away and you will have to try to find him. You can only see him with the Blindfold on, and when you hit him with the hammer, he will reward you with 200 Souls. So far he has been found at 3 different spots: on The Pit bridge that needs to be repaired, and in Goro's Lair twice. He may be at other locations, but we don't know. UPDATE BY @Inzzane_79
KOMBAT KAST 4/24/2019 UPDATE w/ NEW KRYPT INFO:

When you enter The Krypt, ALL players get the same items assigned to chests. It's just where these items are at exactly is randomized. There are currently 600-ish chests in The Krypt, and if two different players were to buy them all, they would leave with the exact same rewards. Again, all of the rewards are the same, it's just that the location of these items are randomized. Obviously, you can replenish chests for new random rewards.

Updates will be dropping soon that will lower the difficulty of Towers of Time by nerfing things like the unblockable rockets and also reducing how often they appear. Towers will also reward more Koins allowing you to unlock things in The Krypt faster.

There are no direct Krypt updates coming that has been announced, so the way that Chests work doesn't seem to be changing any time soon. HOWEVER! In the future, all players will get 500,000 Koins, 1,000 Souls, 500 Hearts, and 1,000 Time Krystals for FREE. This is enough to get a lot of Normal Chests, 10 Soul Chests, 2 Shao Kahn Chests (or 5 Hellfire Chests), and 2 Skins from the in-game shop or other "premium" items of your choosing.

You can also spend Souls to progress in certain areas of The Krypt, so it may be worth saving those for that.
Everything about this is so convoluted it hurts my fucking brain

Opposite to the mk1 statues there's a wall with headstones for each character with a box and a prompt for each of them. Anyone found out what these are or how they can be unlocked?
You have to do certain numbers of Brutalities, Fatalities and Mercey's with each Kharacters. I think it's

50 x Brutalities
50 x Fatalities
20 x Mercey's

Am I the only one that likes that somebody hasn't unlocked the entire Krypt yet? It keeps the mystery alive and anyone still has the potential to find something amazing.

I still think that NRS will keep to there promise of not having NPC's or repeat DLC. My theory is that if you unlock every chest you unlock Sektor and if you get all the heads on spikes in the Warrior Shrine you unlock Cyrax!!!

Lun

proud TERF!
Literally just a few posts above yours it says what you get in it.

"A bunch of skins"?

Aren't those specific skins? If so, which ones?

By the way, how do I get heads in the Krypt? I can spear corpses with Scorpion's weapon to get hearts to use for the Krypt, but I get no head trophies.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
"A bunch of skins"?

Aren't those specific skins? If so, which ones?

By the way, how do I get heads in the Krypt? I can spear corpses with Scorpion's weapon to get hearts to use for the Krypt, but I get no head trophies.
The skins you get are for Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Noob Saibot, Kitana, and Jade. You get a character's Head by performing 50 Fatalities or Brutalities on them.

Reactions: Lun
This krpyt is a arbitrary crutch from the ground up, even if i find the locations its all a rng.

This krypt is tailored for players to explore this games mode & keep coming back to it just to find easter eggs or the history of this franchise.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I’m a bit disappointed that Shang doesn’t talk more often. When they had that announcement that he’d be your “guide”, I pictured something more like Mimir from GoW.
Shang has barely said a damn thing since I started exploring four days ago.

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
Opposite to the mk1 statues there's a wall with headstones for each character with a box and a prompt for each of them. Anyone found out what these are or how they can be unlocked?
50 fatalies on that charcter in tower mode classic

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I restocked the chests using Kronika's wall thing. The chests are actually filled with some good stuff. Two of the chests so far, both around 11,000, had 100 hearts each.

I can also confirm that restocking does add new items to the chests. Mostly concept art, but I did get a new Johnny Cage skin from one too

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Some skins have a requirement listed as ?????? In the menu. Does anyone know how to unlock those or do I have to get lucky with the premium store?

I can also confirm that restocking does add new items to the chests. Mostly concept art, but I did get a new Johnny Cage skin from one too
Is there a way to tell that a chest is restocked vs original? I thought about restocking a few to test it out but then I'd have no idea which ones they were.

Is there a way to tell that a chest is restocked vs original? I thought about restocking a few to test it out but then I'd have no idea which ones they were.
From what Daanash said on Twitter there are Chests that don't shuffle (Heart Chests, Krypt specific and Kharacter Specific) but the others can be obtained anywhere. You can unlock all basic Chests and never leave the courtyard. But what would be the fun in that?

So I got Kenshi's mask, made it back to the Court Yard because I want to get in the Dojo to get Johnny's Shao Kahn chest. The mask has worked fine up until now, every time I activate it nothing happens, WTF! Is this happening to others or am I missing something?

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
So I got Kenshi's mask, made it back to the Court Yard because I want to get in the Dojo to get Johnny's Shao Kahn chest. The mask has worked fine up until now, every time I activate it nothing happens, WTF! Is this happening to others or am I missing something?
You need Soul Fragments (the green skull coins) to use Kenshi's blindfold. Word of advice: do not keep it on for extended periods because otherwise you'll run out of Soul Fragments really quickly.

Last edited: