What's new

General/Other - Scorpion MKXL - Which Variation is the best now?

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Or perhaps you just give him a bad fight :DOGE

Hey Eddy, how should I be using S3 in the neutral as Hellfire (NOT asking about anti-airing with it btw, strictly footsies)? Should I be FBC'ing it so I can go into pressure on block, combo on it, or should I just FaF it and use the +frames to pressure on hit?

Also, why is F3 a button Hellfire doesn't need?
s3 is what you use to convert a combo off a d1/d3/d4~flame aura.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
s3 is what you use to convert a combo off a d1/d3/d4~flame aura.
I got no issues converting it or using it as a combo tool, I mean using it in the neutral. Look at some of @Eddy Wang 's Ninjutsu play he gets a shitload of mileage out of S3 as a spacing tool in the nuetral, now I'm wondering if he was playing Hellfire would he be FBC cancelling these standing 3's, to get combo on hit + Pressure on block. I'm also not sure what S3 FBC is on block but tis definitely plus

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
I got no issues converting it or using it as a combo tool, I mean using it in the neutral. Look at some of @Eddy Wang 's Ninjutsu play he gets a shitload of mileage out of S3 as a spacing tool in the nuetral, now I'm wondering if he was playing Hellfire would he be FBC cancelling these standing 3's, to get combo on hit + Pressure on block. I'm also not sure what S3 FBC is on block but tis definitely plus
didnt say it was a bad spacing tool, but for me the first thing that popped into my mind when i saw it was 7 frames was easy FBRC combos off of flame aura.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Or perhaps you just give him a bad fight :DOGE

Hey Eddy, how should I be using S3 in the neutral as Hellfire (NOT asking about anti-airing with it btw, strictly footsies)? Should I be FBC'ing it so I can go into pressure on block, combo on it, or should I just FaF it and use the +frames to pressure on hit?

Also, why is F3 a button Hellfire doesn't need?
Hellfire can use S3 for multiple purposes, you can use it for easy conversion out of flame aura for sure.
You can use in all scorpion variations to stop run ins, i'm sure those are annoying, when they start doubting if they will just run in or do a fullscreen string, is when they will get burn by flame aura.
You can also use to punish mostly any minus move in the game that has a push back where s2 or s1 are really awkward to hit and requires strict timing.

S3 itself is +2 on block with no cancels, it reaches as far as F3 goes and is 4 frames more faster, and if you FBC on hit, it grants a free F4~flame aura combo which can lead to 43% from a bar without counting the chip or jump in, for solely those reasons, i believe hellfire doesn't really have much use for F3 since s3 is a superior normal in almost any way, aside from that lead that can sometimes go over d3s and d4s.

He is not a walking tank, but Hellfire can surely force people out or in with the combination of 2 specials and one normal, it just depends of how well you use them in neutral, considering stuffing flame aura is a real atempt on your life, s3 is safe on block and can only be beat by low profiling, and staying away condiciones them to wait out those two moves, so when they start processing "i will stay away from those two moves for now" is when hellfire will catch them.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Just to confirm those 2 specials and 1 normal are

S3
Flame Aura

and what sorry? Hellfire?
yes, you cannot run blindly at hellfire and expect to get a string going, most of the people tend to wait out and fish for flame aura activation before charge right in.

Tweedy

Noob
Hellfire > Ninjutsu >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Inferno

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
No matter the variation Scorpion is still free to pressure. His standing armor is dookie.
yes, once someone gets in, he is kinda doomed, and spending the bar for armored take downs really doesn't do much justice IMO, but still Hellfire its not a variation that one can just apply pressure relentlessly, because he can easily active flame aura when one is trying to poke out, or to low profile to reverse pressure.
It cannot also be randomed jumped on or just stay away fullscreen in order to outrange him, of all scorpion variation Hellfire is the one that suffer less up close compared to Ninjutsu or Inferno.

Matix218

Get over here!
No matter the variation Scorpion is still free to pressure. His standing armor is dookie.
As a day 1 scorpion main of course I agree with you. But tbh, if he had better standing armor (lets say for example a safe takedown or if ex teleport or spear had standing armor, something like that) wouldn't that be too good? At that point he would have very little weakness. I am glad he has the armor weakness personally because every character has to be lacking somewhere especially when they are as strong as scorpion is in other areas. You weren't saying that his armor should be buffed or anything anyway so i was not meaning to imply you were btw lol

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
As a day 1 scorpion main of course I agree with you. But tbh, if he had better standing armor (lets say for example a safe takedown or if ex teleport or spear had standing armor, something like that) wouldn't that be too good? At that point he would have very little weakness. I am glad he has the armor weakness personally because every character has to be lacking somewhere especially when they are as strong as scorpion is in other areas. You weren't saying that his armor should be buffed or anything anyway so i was not meaning to imply you were btw lol
I would be happy if it was still full punishable on block, just not as crazy on whiff, just like other slides are. But maybe its fair.

All good points. I would trade the takedown armor & TP armor for EX Spear to be armored like MK9. They could also make it as unsafe as normal Spear.

It's a cool weakness because it forces better fundamentals on defense.

yes, once someone gets in, he is kinda doomed, and spending the bar for armored take downs really doesn't do much justice IMO, but still Hellfire its not a variation that one can just apply pressure relentlessly, because he can easily active flame aura when one is trying to poke out, or to low profile to reverse pressure.
It cannot also be randomed jumped on or just stay away fullscreen in order to outrange him, of all scorpion variation Hellfire is the one that suffer less up close compared to Ninjutsu or Inferno.
LBSH Eddy, Inferno is dead lol. Hellfire only gets the nod because of its versatility in situations. Ninjutsu is just slightly better in the neutral & has great okizeme.

HoangS-Z

Learn From This!
I still feel i use Ninjutsu more effectivethan Hell Fire. What kind of combo do u guys use to start a reset. Eg: 214 TP 21 Spear xxx Jip 21 Flame Auraxxx 21 TP and then what do u guys do? Throw? Good idea, but B3 Spear for Low combo starter or F4 Spear for Overhead starter are not good idea because they are all unsafe, F2 is safe but it's a hard KO

JINAMOUNAINAI

He who is on fire is not troubled by the smoke
Huge subject here mate :p first of all i dont use and in my opinion no one should end combos with tp, its only +18 whereas 21 is +24 and s3 is +26. If you end a combo in tp the only followups available are b3/f2/grab. Or go for a blockstring if you need meter etc. S3 into f4 jails, so there you can also mix f4 in the vortex( with ex spear no one should ever do regular spear as a starter)

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
Ninjutsu is really good, but i've played a little bit of scorpion's cancels and i think hellfire is the best.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Huge subject here mate :p first of all i dont use and in my opinion no one should end combos with tp, its only +18 whereas 21 is +24 and s3 is +26. If you end a combo in tp the only followups available are b3/f2/grab. Or go for a blockstring if you need meter etc. S3 into f4 jails, so there you can also mix f4 in the vortex( with ex spear no one should ever do regular spear as a starter)
I would still rather opt for damage and be at +18 because with Scorpion you really don't need the extra frames. Sure, you can go into f4 now, but most good players will be able to fuzzy guard out of that scenario. You are still in a great position after a teleport ender and get guaranteed damage by finishing not cutting a BNB short for more + frames into a potentially unsafe mixup.

The thing I like about Scorpion, is that when you get that first hit that ends with big damage into pressure it leaves your opponent in a position where they have to play a lot riskier and when your opponent plays like that I think Scorp is at his best.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
This is why I would only give stronger armor to Inferno, it would give incentive to use the variation, and not risk derailing the other variations for better or worse.

Matix218

Get over here!
This is why I would only give stronger armor to Inferno, it would give incentive to use the variation, and not risk derailing the other variations for better or worse.
That would be cool. I guess they could give one of the minions standing armor to give some incentive to actually remember that inferno exists