What's new

MKX: The end of character loyalty for some?

Khaoz77

Don't run, you're gonna trip...
All the characters look pretty fleshed out (yes, even you Kung Jin), so I can see how it would be difficult to just play one.

I am a hardcore character loyalist, I use Balrog wherever he is playable, low or top tier. As for MK, it's the only game where I have different mains for almost every iteration. Mained Cage in 2, wasn't in 3 so I played a lot of Jade and Stryker, both of them weren't in 4 or MKDA, so I had to choose different characters for those and so on.

Now it's MKX and I have resorted to just playing Jason since I am a hardbody horror fan and Jason is the ONLY motherfucker that has instilled fear in my heart. Just when I think I want to just play Jason, I take into account all the cool shit I have been seeing for the game, like my MK2 main and all his beautiful shit talking glory just seducing me to pick him up again (his daughter too, damn you inheritance), Kitana with a Jade (RIP my beautiful waifu) variation, and Kano, whose redesign looks so badass.

Yep, i'm suffering over here...

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I wouldn't say" the end." MKX has actually increased my character loyalty. Im already maining my three characters Ive always stuck with (mostly Subby and Kitana cause Kenshi came in the MK Armageddon days.) However, even though I am only focusing on those three, I plan to try everyone out that interests me; Kung Lao, Tadeka, Predator, Mileena, etc.

E

Eldriken

I wouldn't say" the end." MKX has actually increased my character loyalty. Im already maining my three characters Ive always stuck with (mostly Subby and Kitana cause Kenshi came in the MK Armageddon days.) However, even though I am only focusing on those three, I plan to try everyone out that interests me; Kung Lao, Tadeka, Predator, Mileena, etc.
I'm interested in too many characters! My interests may increase/decrease for characters as time progresses, however. I may wind up liking a character I thought I wouldn't and then disliking a character I thought I would like.

So much time is going to be spent on this game. I must make sure my marriage doesn't suffer. :DOGE

I think this is actually a very positive thing. While being encouraged to use more characters because they look awesome, players are bound to develop varied and complex play styles, and will become more adaptable to different situations. This whole process can only enrich the playing of the game as a whole. Having the variations, however, allows character loyalists to still have enough tools to deal with diverse opponents, so it's a win-win.

EGP Awesomo

R.T.S.D
I dont think its the end, I know alot of people who are happy with their mains being in. Like myself for example, Ive been maining Johnny in every MK hes appeared in since I was 7, in mk9 he suits my playstyle, I use smoke and noob as alts. Judging from what Ive seen in mkx Johnny can zone like noob and has smoke like mix ups(overhead starter and d3 d4 pressure along with his vast amount of pressure options). Yes I like other characters as well but Ill never NOT main johnny. I think variations give people the options to play their favorite character however they like (zoning keep away scorpion or rushdown subzero for example)

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH
I've been saying this for YEARS now. Character loyalty in a series like MK is absolutely overrated. Game in & game out, the same characters have been so different that staying loyal is just absurd. When a new MK is coming out, sure there is characters I'd like to try out more than others based on my love for the character without knowing how they'll play & some characters that through their introduction & Kombat Kast's that tell me I'd like to try them. But until i get the game & play it & find out who works best for me, I'm not declaring anything. Play the game, carve out your own niche & then take it to the next level.
I 100% agree with this. I actively go into every MK game expecting that I probably won't main the same character from the last game. However, once I find my main in the new game I stick to him/her pretty fiercely.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Well I choose characters that I like lore wise, my main will be kenshi since he is my favorite video game character, since well, he is a blind man with telekinetic powers and a mystical sword, can't get much cooler than that, and even if a character doesn't match my midrange, sort of rush down sort of zoning play style, then I will make it work, but yeah , kenshi, erron black, then maybe scorpion or Takeda, haven't decided on the third character yet

Plop

Noob
I mained Kano in MK9 and Harley in IGAU. Until this last stream I was adamant I was just gonna use Kano and his 3 variations, but now I dunno.
Mileena looks hella good, Takeda's tickled my fancy and we haven't even seen Jason or Goro yet

It was Fujin and Shinnok for me since MK9, but it looks like i'm only going to be getting Shinnok but i'm okay with that. I'll definitely be using Goro and Erron Black as well, but I have to say everyone looks fun as hell. I end up learning every character anyway, but i'll definitely be loyal to the fallen Elder God.

Although.. If Fujin blows his way into the game as DLC, i'm going to betray Shinnok like Quan Chi did in MK4.

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
Mk always had more interesting characters than injustice in my opinion. If it wasn't for Lobo being announced, I would have quit injustice early. So with the new mkx on the horizon, the hype is real because not only do we get some of our classic favorites in beautiful renditions and 3 variations, we get well designed fresh new characters to try to master.
Who are you liking the most at the moment?

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
It was Fujin and Shinnok for me since MK9, but it looks like i'm only going to be getting Shinnok but i'm okay with that. I'll definitely be using Goro and Erron Black as well, but I have to say everyone looks fun as hell. I end up learning every character anyway, but i'll definitely be loyal to the fallen Elder God.

Although.. If Fujin blows his way into the game as DLC, i'm going to betray Shinnok like Quan Chi did in MK4.
I'm pretty interested to see if Fujin is in the game as well. He was always pretty cool.

CallMeTetris

draxx them sklounst
Absolutely. Injustice and KI already started breaking me out of the "play one, ignore the rest of the roster" mindset, and as for MKX.....the count is already at 4 characters I want to somehow simultaneously main, and about 5 others I wanna spend some serious time with. And that's not even counting Jax, Jacqui, Shinnok, Kenshi, and Erron.