What's new

MKT Tournament Rules Discussion

REO

Undead
Noob Saibot - I'm fine with keeping him legal but I can understand why most want him to be banned. Yeah, he's the easiest character to use in the game (there's more meaning to his name "Noob" than just Boon's name spelled backwards :p ) and his infinite is the least hype of the entire game. I would be fine with having him banned if that's what everyone wants and feels is right. Just know that he has a few 5-5s when it comes down to it..

Rain - His infinite should be allowed. It doesn't work on every character in the game, and it requires some form of positioning to keep reps going. It's also hype.

Character Specific Infinites (Kung Lao, Reptile, Stryker, Rain, Nightwolf, etc.) - They should stay. If it was 1v1 I'd understand, but it's 3 vs 3. You technically have three lives and they're all hype.

Ermac Corner Death Combos - They should stay. No reason why making a mistake in the corner should not cost you one of your characters. It's also hype.

Corner Jab infinite - It was allowed in UMK3 and that game was 1v1. I see no reason why making a mistake in the corner should not result in you losing one of your characters.

d+HK corner infinite - This should be allowed. Again, why should you be tapped on the wrist for messing up in the corner instead of losing a guy?

Aggressor - I agree with this being off for now.

3 v3 No Character Repeats - I agree with this. Having a a team of three different characters is something I'm sure we can all come together and say is without a doubt best for the game on all accounts. It eliminates repetitiveness, forces you to be sharp and in sync with a full team, awesome for viewers, puts a placebo strategy effect in lines with a"feeler", "momentum extension", and "anchor". (I just used three random names, but they can be named whatever you guys want. lol) But BEST of all, it makes MKT unique and a blast to play!

Death combos and infinites should not be looked at as penalizing in this game as other games. You technically have "three lives" due to the 3 vs 3 so essentially it's three mistakes, and you're out.

MKK hanzo

Haha thats the recipe for killing a game. Inf here dont need skill and are just repeetitions of 2-3 moves constantly. This is not marvel.

Showing that you will just kill the game, possible scene and you will learn nothing if you are serious about playing it competitively. Ban all that and you will force the players to learn footsies zoning and combos not going always for the one hit kill.

Well just my 2 cents

Edit: no offense but how do you do a matchup with Noob at 5-5 when you guys doesnt even know the differences between both MKT versiions? Noob doesnt even need the paralyzer ball or shadow toss to be deadly. Even without his tlpt or paralyzer hes broken beyond comprehension with the shadow toss wich trades and has zero recovery haha

SMH

REO

Undead
I think handing out rule books at tournaments will turn players off of the game more than just playing with something simple like a one character ban.

Shit, thinking about all these rules just makes me want to go play MK9 or MKDA instead.

I mean, MKT is way less repetitive than UMK3 so I really don't see the big deal honestly.

MKK hanzo

Then make it simple:

Ban all infs and noob and you are fine :)

Dont watch it as a rule book. I like ti think that its more like an "unnoficial patch".

Just imagine mk9 without patches. Cause mk9 is "playable" today cause of ppl demand and to what they think the game should be. There is no way to patch mkt this is obvious but these rules would be what a imaginary balance patch will look like.

Mkda is "good" by accident (I love it)

Quick edit: have you seen the rules for smash bros? THAT is a rule book and the scen is alve and well

REO

Undead
Then make it simple:

Ban all infs and noob and you are fine :)

Dont watch it as a rule book. I like ti think that its more like an "unnoficial patch".

Just imagine mk9 without patches. Cause mk9 is "playable" today cause of ppl demand and to what they think the game should be. There is no way to patch mkt this is obvious but these rules would be what a imaginary balance patch will look like.

Mkda is "good" by accident (I love it)
I have no problem with all infinites being banned. BUT I won't be the guy subbing as a referee or telling players what they can and can't do. If someone volunteers to be a referee for every match, and someone else would like to be the person to go around and ensure all participants are aware of the rules, then that would be greatly appreciated and ideal I feel.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The problem is you can't simply "ban infinites". You have to establish how many reps are allowed. This isn't SA where everyone has been playing MKT for years where all the rules are agreed upon and where new players don't play in tournaments. We want to get people into the game before we start making tons of rules. If we determine certain things need to be banned, then we will ban them. We don't have years of experience with MKT in tournaments, that's why we're taking your advice and using the SA rules as a guideline. But we need to experience the game first hand and then make our own rules accordingly.

Noob
MKK hanzo I have to agree with AK Juggs here, in that we will use your rules as a baseline and go from there. If more bans are warranted and we see the game getting less play and enjoyment, we'll do things accordingly.

MKK hanzo

Sorry I may have not explained myself well due to my slow phone.

I meant: ban all infs and reps. Just "no" haha.

Juggs: thats good then. Any way play the game with "all on" then "patch it" as you see fit :D

Just make sure you dont 1 button inf a newbie. That will be like one possible player less.

Imagine just how crybaby is this gen o players with the current games. Imagine them "suffering" 70%+ combos and semi unescapable traps etc all at once

Sadly ppl nowadays like baby-like games (looking at you sf4)

pherleece

Woolay
Like I was telling Phil earlier, sure some characters would be able to compete with infinites of their own or playing perfectly with no mistakes. But that turns the game into a "who can land the infinite first" type of gameplay, which would be neither fun to play or watch.
Sounds like umvc3

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Sounds like umvc3
Exactly, and I've fallen asleep more than once watching Marvel finals. Not even saying that to be funny, I've literally fallen asleep multiple time watching Marvel finals, because they are incredibly boring. The crowd getting hype is the only hype thing about Marvel, the gameplay is hella boring.

pherleece

Woolay
Exactly, and I've fallen asleep more than once watching Marvel finals. Not even saying that to be funny, I've literally fallen asleep multiple time watching Marvel finals, because they are incredibly boring. The crowd getting hype is the only hype thing about Marvel, the gameplay is hella boring.
many people feel that way but i think more then 3 times as many people enjoy watching marvel. i like watching the top 8s at majors. but some mk infinites do look boring to watch tho.

i would like to see a everything legal but noob MKT tournament. maybe one with noob

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The corner jab block string infinite variants are 100% bullshit, shouldn't exist and I will credit a marked difference between a 100% combo, infinite and block string frame trap by saying with this frame trap you actually are giving the player back control of their character and taking it away again immediately with no chance of recovery, rather than simply never giving back control with a legit combo, but their only options here result in taking more damage or respecting the frame trap, over and over. I will go as far as to say using it to win is borderline disturbing, childish and disgraceful.

You don't even have to make much of a real mistake in the corner to be destroyed by it. For example, you can be facing the corner against a Human Smoke and if he gets a lucky harpoon, then it's game over? For getting a harpoon on a kara block slip? That is preposterous. I mean granted, yes you can get 60% with him mid screen without a relaunch, but we're talking about converting a legit combo into a brain dead frame trap for a guaranteed, unearned win from a scenario where you otherwise would never lose even if punished hard.

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
LOL sorry, @AK Juggs I read this one too late. But I also agree with some points from verious players. For example, limiting Ermac combos makes no sense to me either. MKT is not popular here, so when we do tournaments, we only ban noob/rain, same-char teams, kodes, aggressor and that's it.