What's new

MKII Tier List Discussion

S

scheissn

black album said:
Whoa, how long did you work on that for?
Way longer than it should have taken me, I'll leave it at that.
Konqrr said:
Still the old version lol ...the numbers at the right still don't update.
All that, and I renamed the file wrong lol. Updated, refresh

For future reference, if that happens again (if there is something wrong with it and I update) just look in the directory, I'm just gonna leave all the versions in there

*EDIT: Tested it with two sets(current numbers and just all 1's and 9's to see if it added up right) of numbers and it worked. Should be good now, but I would appreciate it if someone would do some tests with different numbers.

Once ppl test it out and this is all done and working, it wouldn't be very hard for me to make them for UMK3 and (especially) MK1 too now that I have the code working. As long as someone wants to make the graph images. :)

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
It works good, but what would be a GREAT help would be if you started on the top left (as you should)...once you enter a number, the program should automatically move the focus to the next cell to the right (or next line down, left cell if you are at the end) and continue right until it gets to the middle then down again until the last box.

Also, couldn't you have it calculate on the fly and if you click on a cell (or use the arrow keys go navigate through them) that already has a number in it, have it highlighted so you can just hit a new number and it will cycle to the next cell, etc.

I think almost everyone would agree with that. I think some might not agree with Kung Lao being the number 4, but I would.

*edit- Whoops, my bad, I got the order wrong. I didn't notice Baraka > Sub-Zero. That matchup, straight up, favors Sub-Zero. I also think Sub-Zero has an easier time dealing with some of the top-tiers and mid-tiers than Baraka does.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
Sub-Zero in the right hands can be lethal. I rank him as mid tier in my rankings. The problem is that he gets clobbered by spammers such as Kang, Mileena, and Jax during MGP.

ScheissNussen said:
I think he is undeniably the worst character in the game.
Agreed...which is prob why I have been playing him so much (like the challenge). He can be a bastard inside though, knee, kick, RH can be tough to get out of, and when pretty much any character that runs, eats a long jump kick. When it comes to teleports though he massively fails. I wouldnt mind playing a top sub, cage, or rep player to see the end results.

AriaDelano said:
When it comes to teleports though he massively fails. I wouldnt mind playing a top sub, cage, or rep player to see the end results.
Can't he just buffer the blade fury and catch them as they come up? Like with Kitana, tapping forward and HP, the opponent is like "look at that [ban incoming]" then they teleport and get lifted.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
scheisse said:
IMO Sub is higher than Baraka and even Cage.

I know that it doesn't necessarily prove anything and people can argue that they are higher due to their properties, but Sub comes out on top in most cases. I honestly don't think most people consider his ability to trade hits for a successful ice as an asset.

If you land the ice, you can give around 50%+ every time. He really is a bastard in the amount of mix ups he can do with both projectiles, and almost every sweep is a successful ground ice, uppercut as well.

Baraka is complete shit. I haven't heard of or seen a single person use him exclusively on PS3 as well as on kaillera and even arcade as long as I've played, which almost never happens with any character in any fighter. I think he is undeniably the worst character in the game.

What does he have on Reptile? He can't get close due to aaRH, slides and spit. If you throw invisibility on top of that he is completely raped, making a situation that has one of the highest possible opportunities for a flawless in the game.
One of the reasons that Sub and Reptile are so low are their hitboxes. They get raped by most characters jab games, especially the characters that can use the LPHPHP variations (Kung Lao, Baraka, Cage, Female Ninjas), which if hit force them to stand and eat more punishment. Why their HP's hit crouching characters is beyond me.

The other reason is because Male Ninja jabs are sooooooo shitty. This game revolves around waiting for someone to messup so you can punish them and then closing the distance and using your jab game to set stuff up...the Male Ninjas can't do that so they have to play keep away all match = fail.

The fact that Sub can get 50% if he freezes you is really the only thing he has going for him besides his god-tier roundhouse and sujk.

On to Baraka...

He has some of the best jabs in the game, and up close with his knees and jabs it is very hard to stop him.
His aaRH is harder to time but hits literally everything with it's range. It is better than the Male Ninjas aaRH easy.
His sweep is very fast and abusable.
Blades own teleporters, Raiden can't teleport out of the jab game because the Baraka player can be tapping forward when doing jabs to catch him. You can do Blades to Kung Lao on reaction when he teleports.

The Baraka vs Sub match is tricky. All it does is shut down the spark move, though, and he doesn't need it anyways. Once Baraka gets close, it is very hard for Sub to get out. This is sort of like fighting Guile in SFIV...back him to the corner and keep him there. He can't Ground Ice from there and his only options are to freeze or slide out which aren't very good options. At first I thought this matchup would be like 7-3 or 8-2 in Subs favor, but that's only if you play keep away with Baraka and that's not how he is played. 6-4 Sub

Really, what does Reptile have on Baraka? Acid Spit and Slide? hmmm...This is pretty much the same matchup as Sub but once Reptile is cornered he only has Slide to get out, no real damage options. If he manages to get a Forceball out he can do some damage if it hits but that's really it. It's not easy to hit Baraka with an aaRH either, but I guess someone who has practiced the timing can do it reliably...but it's not possible at certain distances. It's all about backing Reptile to the corner and/or getting close where Rep has virtually no good options. 7-3 Baraka

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I think Cage is a pretty shitty character, not as bad as Sub or Reptile, but close...he has some serious mismatches.

He's decent against Sub, Reptile, and Kitana.
Against Shang and Baraka, whoever gets the life lead wins.
He doesn't have a chance really against Liu, Jax, or Mileena.
Not many good options against Scorpion or Lao.
Raiden is a tossup because it could go either way.

Cage just doesn't have many good matchups at all. He's pretty much 5-5 in the matchups against Kitana, Sub, Shang, Baraka, and Raiden...but the rest are worse for him. Maybe Reptile is 6-4 him, but invisibility and acid spit potentially make up for that.

Cage isn't horrible...but he really doesn't have anything good except being able to duck block under jabs and decent jabs/uppercut.

Konqrr said:
I think Cage is a pretty shitty character, not as bad as Sub or Reptile, but close...he has some serious mismatches.

He's decent against Sub, Reptile, and Kitana.
Against Shang and Baraka, whoever gets the life lead wins.
He doesn't have a chance really against Liu, Jax, or Mileena.
Not many good options against Scorpion or Lao.
Raiden is a tossup because it could go either way.

Cage just doesn't have many good matchups at all. He's pretty much 5-5 in the matchups against Kitana, Sub, Shang, Baraka, and Raiden...but the rest are worse for him. Maybe Reptile is 6-4 him, but invisibility and acid spit potentially make up for that.

Cage isn't horrible...but he really doesn't have anything good except being able to duck block under jabs and decent jabs/uppercut.
Disagree with the Lao/Scorp matchups. Cage can reliably play Lao from around sweep distance and mix him up with cheap sweeps, jump kicks, high bolts, and shadow kicks. Come in close and Lao gets raped with jabs, ball punches, close HP, crossover combos, and MORE cheap sweeps. Kung Lao players (myself included) often like to fish around for SUJP/dive kick combos for anti-air, but Cage's JK from most distances takes priority over Lao's SUJP. This matchup is around 6-4 Lao, possibly 7-3 if you spam the toe.

Scorpion is a lot easier. Kara jabs shut down the turtle game (a telepunches). Cage's uppercut and nut punch do a good job of punishing crossover spam, which, in effect, takes away Scorpion's two best weapons. Scorpion can still make a jump happy Cage eat aaHP combos and air throws, but if you keep Cage on the ground and play smart with him, this is a very close matchup. I use Cage all the time to annoy Scorp spammers in the lobby. He's not as effective as Shang, but again, he rapes Scorp up close with jabs, close HP, throws, and cheap sweeps. You can nail the crossover combos, too, you just have to be more careful (air throws). Cage also has some fun aaHP combos and high bolts to shut down jump ins. I'm gonna go crazy and give Cage a 5-5 matchup here (it would be slightly in Scorp's favor if we use a larger sample size, say 46-54).

Cage gets raped by Mileena and Liu and has a tough time with Jax, too. He goes 5-5 with most of the mid-tiers, though, and owns everyone not named Shang up close with high priority jabs and crossovers. The biggest problem with Cage is that opponents like to nail you early and then spend the rest of the match running away. Cage has a hard time chasing down Liu, Jax, Mileena, and Raiden once they get ahead of him. I'd give Cage lower mid-tier status without question.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
dudemcrude said:
Disagree with the Lao/Scorp matchups. Cage can reliably play Lao from around sweep distance and mix him up with cheap sweeps, jump kicks, high bolts, and shadow kicks. Come in close and Lao gets raped with jabs, ball punches, close HP, crossover combos, and MORE cheap sweeps. Kung Lao players (myself included) often like to fish around for SUJP/dive kick combos for anti-air, but Cage's JK from most distances takes priority over Lao's SUJP. This matchup is around 6-4 Lao, possibly 7-3 if you spam the toe.
Cage has the exact same sweep as the Male Ninjas. It is good and spammable, but far from the best. Anyone spamming sweeps against a good Lao player will eat a dive kick. Spamming sweeps is a good tactic for sure, but it's not going to win a hard matchup. Chip damage and jump check are the main goal for sweeping.

As for Cage's JK, it is among the best, but still easily taken down by half the roster's standing HK or even easier with RH. At those distances where the JK would beat an anti-air option, just blocking it and walking backwards watching for a surprise shadow kick is all one needs to do to keep Cage out.

Cage does have very good jabs and Close HP, once he gets close to you it's hard to get out...but getting close is the hard part. If you know how to abuse them, Lao's HP jabs are better than Cage's even though they don't hit Cage or Shang, they work better on the rest of the cast. Baraka and Lao LPHP mixups keep people locked down nearly as good as Shang's jabs do.

Lao's JP from jumping back beats almost every move in the game (same as Liu), even Mileena's Telekick and Kitana's Square Wave! That's a free Dive Kick, or whiffed Dive Kick into aaHP, Hat Throw combo or worse.

Lao can, on reaction, see what fireball Cage is throwing and if it is the low one, he can jump over and dive kick Cage for free. Cage's only option is to get close. Cage's only strength from a distance is if he has the life lead where he can win the projectile war (Cage vs Baraka comes to mind).

I see the matchup as 6-4 Lao also. The Lao/Liu toe kick is not as abusable on Cage because his jump kick can and will hit you out of it unlike the Male Ninjas. It owns all of his sweep attempts though so it forces him to cross you up...but if he is jumping you can just uppercut if you do it early enough.

dudemcrude said:
Scorpion is a lot easier. Kara jabs shut down the turtle game (a telepunches). Cage's uppercut and nut punch do a good job of punishing crossover spam, which, in effect, takes away Scorpion's two best weapons. Scorpion can still make a jump happy Cage eat aaHP combos and air throws, but if you keep Cage on the ground and play smart with him, this is a very close matchup. I use Cage all the time to annoy Scorp spammers in the lobby. He's not as effective as Shang, but again, he rapes Scorp up close with jabs, close HP, throws, and cheap sweeps. You can nail the crossover combos, too, you just have to be more careful (air throws). Cage also has some fun aaHP combos and high bolts to shut down jump ins. I'm gonna go crazy and give Cage a 5-5 matchup here (it would be slightly in Scorp's favor if we use a larger sample size, say 46-54).

Cage gets raped by Mileena and Liu and has a tough time with Jax, too. He goes 5-5 with most of the mid-tiers, though, and owns everyone not named Shang up close with high priority jabs and crossovers. The biggest problem with Cage is that opponents like to nail you early and then spend the rest of the match running away. Cage has a hard time chasing down Liu, Jax, Mileena, and Raiden once they get ahead of him. I'd give Cage lower mid-tier status without question.
Scorpion's whole game is keep away. When he gets a life lead against some characters, Cage included, it is nearly impossible for them to come back from it. All Cage has at this point is to close the distance while keeping in a position to block an escape attempt teleport and back Scorpion into the corner. Any projectile attempt that Cage tries is easily punished on reaction by a teleport. This might work in Cage's favor if his back is close to the corner, this is where you want Scorpion so he can no longer escape to safety. Scorpion's crossup game is almost nullified by Cage's uppercut but not entirely. Scorpion can do chip sweep to safe teleport to chip sweep all day long on Cage with no real fear of punishment.

I see this matchup as 6-4 Scorpion. As long as Scorpion can keep his distance, he wins. It may be even 7-3 Scorpion...

---

Everything Scheisse said is spot on...especially this quote:
Scheisse said:
Cage is almost never used to his ability but that is mainly because he simply cannot compete against higher tier and nobody wants to main him long enough to learn his tactics.

dubson

Noob
I agree with pretty much everything Konqrr said except with Scorp > Cage.

IMO Cage rapes Scorpion.

Scorpion is also like Cage in that he cannot win matches from a distance, as he doesn't have a powerful enough projectile barrage like the top tier characters do.

It is going to be whoever gets a life lead and then turtle. Because up close, Cage rapes Scorpion. But they are both good turtles. Cage just has to back him in a corner and its over, or walk him down. He can't run forever, or he won't win anyway... Scorp can't jump in on him because he has infinite ways to knock his ass back, including aaHP into Shadow Kick. He can't even get close to Cage, at all.

I'm willing to test Cage against anyone who has a good connection and good credibility, whenever.

EDIT:
Just noticed dudemcrude said pretty much all the same shit. Good shit sir. But I also said it a few years ago, on ultimatemk ;)

dubson

Noob
ScheissNussen said:
That's going to be impossible to back up.

You can say "all he needs to do is get close" but that is much much easier said than done against a teleporter with a gody aaRH. What is your strategy of getting close exactly?

Walk, kara-jab (pray for spear), shadow kick... oh no pushback! start over.
JK, aaRH'd! start over.

Trade hits with a teleport for a fireball to gain distance?
That's funny that your best bet is it get hit with playing Cage vs Scorpion.
From there you can only hope that your opponent is dumb enough to do that too close to the corner.

Sweeps, dodged shadow kick uppercuts and SUJK, air throws for Scorp... all he needs against Cage. The spear is just a bonus.
I just noticed that JC's ducking normals are terrible when I was trying to play footsie the other day too, they are like half the reach that the frames show.
Terrible ducking normals? His ducking LP is great....

Dodged Shadow Kicks? What is this Cage player just throwing out Shadow kicks? They should be used to punish and never whiff, so idk where you see people throw out random shadow kicks, but they are bad.

All he needs to do is get close, and it is real. Cage's up-close game is ruthless.

Scorpion has to get in on Cage to win, like I stated above, he doesn't have a projectile barrage good enough to sit back and win with like the top tier in this game, hence he is human and has to get in and win.

Uppercut? Gotta be close for that.... Sweep? Yep, that too....

We can play theory fighter all we want, it's going to go nowhere. I'm not going to waste my time with theory fighter, I am willing to do some real kombat.

My Cage against any Scorpion, or whoever. Just for testing results. Because quite frankly, I've barely seen anyone play Cage right IMO.

He is a fucking tank and against someone like Scorpion, all he has to do is walk his ass down, he can't do shit but run away, and do nothing.

If you wanna play theory fighter, here is the end to it.

Whoever get's a life lead, and turtles better, wins the match-up.

If Cage get's a life lead, Scorp is fucked, because he HAS to get in. And you can say the same, the other way around. Because if Cage spams projectiles (since he DOES have a superior projectile game over Scorpion obviously) he will catch a teleport punch to the back of the head.

Stalemate.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
The fact is that Cage MUST get in to beat Scorp, that is his ONLY option! But Scorpion has 99 seconds to run away and chip Cage with sweeps and teleporting to safety or to hit cage while he tries to use his "superior" projectile. Scorpion has many more options than Cage in this matchup.

The matchup IS a stalemate...BUT Scorpion has more options to get away and stay away when it counts. That's why I said 6-4 Scorp. Once Scorpion has the lead, Cage has NOTHING but to try and back him to the corner where he can't teleport away. Once Cage has the lead, Scorpion can use safe teleports to get in chip damage sweeps.

This has got to be the second most boring matchup in MKII history under Sub-Zero mirrors lol

dubson

Noob
Pretty much...

But with that logic you could say he could get out and away from anything because his teleport is just so godlike...

We need to try our connection on PS3 again Konqrr...

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Teleport gets him out of nearly anything coming at him, not when Cage is on top of him jabbing him to death lol

I remember we had some slowdown/delay when we played, but it was hardly unplayable...I have downgraded my internet from $65 cable to $20 dsl now so guaranteed it will be worse. I'm willing to give it a try though!

Kensidj

10 ft Tall Roadblock
scorpion>cage easily imo

i'll try both matchups with ya'll. i'm pretty high level with scorp and can hang with the best with cage. cage would clobber scorp in close range, but if you're playing an experienced scorpion close range should be non-existent. Teleporting at the right time and distance should keep you in a sweep range and still allow you enough time to get outta there before the jab pressure barrage can set in. mixing up cross ups, air throws and turtling. scorp wins.

I'd h ave to agree with kensi on that one. I'm one of the few that doesn't seem to hate cage but he just can't mess with a teleporter. his greatest atribute is that he can duck under everything under the sun. I'd kill for his shadow uppercut to be functional!

dubson

Noob
Good shit, Kensi. Glad to see you posting on this.

I know your Scorp is among the best around, I'll send you an invite next time I see you on. Win or lose it should be fun.

Same for you Konqrr, who knows it may be better now with DSL, lol.

PSN is weird like that, I swear.

Scheisse and Konqrr can vouch that I've always liked this match-up for Cage, I've been preaching this for years lol.... Seems to always come down to us 3...

I'm glad to see more input.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I check this thread daily (several times if I am home). Love the discussion, let's keep it up.

Dubs, I spent a couple hours tweaking the matchups in the tier grid a few weeks ago and I think it's more accurate now. I'll have to post it soon to let you see. It puts the characters in this order now:

Jax, Liu, Mil, Lao, Kit, Sha, Rai, Sco, Cag, Sub, Bar, Rep

This is a bit more like the tier list of old, kind of wierd how it worked out that way lol

EDIT: Here's the updated Tier Grid

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2920/mkiitiergrid7.png