What's new

MKII Tier List Discussion

Bob Dole said:
" the Forceball is useless because you can disable the forceball with a duck lk."

i forgot is this true for mk3 also? my memory is rusty. :?
There was no forceball or reptile in MK3.

RayRokka

Noob
The original tier list is 100% accurate and has been in existence for over 10 years. Its rigid as hell and wont be broken anytime soon.

You might as well take it as the gospel.

ded

Elder God
i agree for mk2 actually but it was the same with umk3, and it was changed... you never know ;]

can you explain that mk3 stuff as too how it used to be. i just like to read that type of stuff, explain the time line as to how it use to be and why it was changed. :D

RayRokka

Noob
I think that UMK is a lot more open not to mention broken and something new could pop up because the margin for error is much greater

ded

Elder God
I think that UMK is a lot more open not to mention broken and something new could pop up because the margin for error is much greater
thats true, "rich juggle system leads to endless juggle opportunities" lol

can you explain that mk3 stuff as too how it used to be. i just like to read that type of stuff, explain the time line as to how it use to be and why it was changed. :D
well the only main changes were actually to ermac and reptile and usub of course. the last one i still dont understand why was listed so low, as for ermac and reptile, they have never been explored so well to see what destroy machines they can be ;]

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
There is a misusage of the term broken in here, UMK3 is not as broken as MKII, it is deeper, which is why the tier list is still not full explored. Combos, tactics, etc, have been found even recently that have changed it a bit. There's essentially a casual player top tier list, and a competitive top tier list, for most games, they usually contain the same characters but in a different order. It's similar to the difference between US and Japanese tier lists for games.

What criteria are you guys looking at to determine if a player is a top tier. ie jax and mileena for MK2?

What do you guys look at to decide a players rank?

how do you determine all of this?

This is interesting

dreemernj

Ambassador
Basically how well they can be used in high level play.

What is a characters strengths?
How well can they be countered?
Do a characters strategies work against all/a lot of characters?
Do they require taking risks in order to do damage?

And this all assumes the character is being used by someone with skill against someone with skill.

Depending on the depth of the game, tiers are often more or less solid. MK2's tier is pretty solid because the game is rather limited. There's only so much variety that can exist between gameplay styles of different players.

And also, the tiers aren't really something that a person or even a few people decided. They are a result of many many people playing the game, trying out countless strategies, and eventually figuring out what characters are the best at winning in high level play.

ded

Elder God
thats correct dreemnj but:

MK2's tier is pretty solid because the game is rather limited.
i'd say that noob saibot is like ELDER GOD in mk trilogy and the game is not limited, sometimes just the developers dont know what they are doing LOL

dreemernj

Ambassador
Good point. Sometimes a character is just so broken their spot on the tier is guaranteed regardless of how much variety there can be.

There's a lot of variety in 3s and Yun/Chun are the champs there aren' they?

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Overall game solidness can mean whether or not you ban a character who ruins the game, ie Noob Saibot MKT.

I see Reptile is placed lowest tier, I can also see why.

If you get a smart player like MK2 Prince behind a reptile though, It can be quite a difficult task to figure out what he's doing and is going to do when he's invisible.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
If Reptile's Forceball came out a bit faster, he'd be better...but still worse than Sub...poor reppy :cry:

ZAQ

Noob
Id love to see what kinda combos I could pull out of him if he had the fast and slow forceballs
:evil:

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
That's how he is in the Genesis UMK3 hack. Fast and slow balls with no limits! Ridiculous. :cry:

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
It has the same hit limits as UMK3 Reptile, but you can put out as many orbs as you want before they start hitting. Still, way broken.

Kazlaz

Noob
i downloaded some mugen shit and then relized this is not what i want if you press hp over and over again it pulls off the full dialed in combo it pissed me off

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
You probably got MKP, which is like, HPHPHPHPHP = 5 hit combo that ends in an uppercut for everyone.