What's new

MKII Strategy Guide WIP - Johnny Cage Draft is up, NEED INPUT.

nice konqrr, that is great info,a few things in that were helpful.

not sure but if i remember correctly(not 100% certain) but when the sweep connects on that exact frame of connection, it can be countered.

if i remember right, a while back i used to play this style where if you for example did a jump kick at mileena,as soon as the split second of the kick hits my head,you can counter roll the jump kick! and i think as soon as the sweep hits, on that frame you can roll it out!

again, not 100% certain, but something funny is happening in that area of gameplay.

and what i do know about cage is that you can shadow uppercut the sweep from the maximum sweep distance that it can be performed.

nice work konqrr, i wanna see more character guides,very benneficial

another cage note......

***** if mileena spams sais(the only way to spam sais the fastest,witch is to sai and leave the LEAST ammount of distance from feet to ground) then 1 of cages fireballs will automatically duck them,100% work around with cage if mileena spams sais! UNLESS mileena is on the ground spamming sais it will hit cage,and thats not the correct way to spam sais as its not the fastest

dvdcsn

Noob
Yeah, but how close do you have to be to hit a sweep? You'd have to time it like a "clean hit" Shoryuken and that is way too risky to try in a serious match. Also, if it's blocked or not Cage just hangs there in the air begging to be hit. It's just not worth it unless you KNOW it will hit.
Its only too risky when the opponent expects it. Everyone is patternesque to some degree. Even the best players in the world. You can only consciously think of one think well at a time. Everything else is subconscious and thusly habitual. Eeons of players are OVERLY habitual. Take advantage of this at every possible turn. When they're in the repetitive sweep sweep sweep mode or any other close quaters unsuspectingly, shadow uppercut if you know it will hit. The move may leave you suspended in the air, but your opponent will be flying across the screen. No risk there.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
The move may leave you suspended in the air, but your opponent will be flying across the screen. No risk there.
Very true ^_^

if i remember right, a while back i used to play this style where if you for example did a jump kick at mileena,as soon as the split second of the kick hits my head,you can counter roll the jump kick! and i think as soon as the sweep hits, on that frame you can roll it out!
This was in MK1 and I think I've done it a few times in MKII. It is not a very reliable tactic, but it doesn't hurt to try because you are already blocking! Like you said, you have to do your special move on the exact frame that you block your opponent's move. This is especially beneficial to Sub-Zero and Reptile as their's is the easiest by holding Back+Block+LK and mashing LP as you block a hit like a sweep. Way easier in MK1 though.

i wonder what the chances are that if your opponent does a jump kick at you and as soon as the kicks meets your head,the very next frame aaHP.(blocking the opponents jump kick then aaHP)

imagine if that would work,i dont really see why it would not,and you would actually be able to do it on a regular basis because it would be easy to anticipate and not overly tough to time.

just a shot in the dark,probably doesnt work.

Nope, I'm sure it only applies to special moves.
yeah, i didnt think so. but imagine if it was possible,the game would be "upped" a notch!

im gonna go back to doing those,im gonna try to "special out" jump kicks,i used to do them so i wont have a problem.

dvdcsn

Noob
Hey Konqrr, I was thinking about writing one for liu kang and possibly helping to co-write mileena with like say dookz :)D) or something, as she used to be my main for a long time! I need to test my skill again against good players though first.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Hey Konqrr, I was thinking about writing one for liu kang and possibly helping to co-write mileena with like say dookz :)D) or something, as she used to be my main for a long time! I need to test my skill again against good players though first.
That's a wonderful idea. Get playing!

Sub-Zero

Sub-Zero is a fun character to use, and while he has a difficult time against quicker or more powerful characters (especially Liu Kang), he can intimidate via mind-games, which should be your general strategy. Aside from his excellent aaRHK, his defensive game is weaker than his offense. The important thing is to keep your opponent guessing.

His basic moves are the same as the other ninjas', so you can copy/paste that here from another ninja's strategy guide..

Generally, you'll want to trick your opponent into thinking you'll do a ground freeze when you want to do a normal freeze, and vice-versa. The mind-game frustration should eventually cause your opponent to jump at you or use some other punishable special. Of course, even though this is likely, one should never count on it. Always assume your opponent has unlimited patience.

If your opponent is ever frozen in a standing position, don't just walk in and uppercut. You should always jump in with a deep JK -> ground freeze -> and THEN uppercut. You need to be fast, though, or your opponent will jump out of it, or if Liu, hit you with a flying kick to the head.

After an uppercut, walk forward a couple of steps, pause as if you're going to ground-freeze, and then execute a regular freeze. I've found that 85% of the time, if your opponent hasnt' already caught on, he will jump back, and your freeze should catch him just before he lands.

The best time to fake a ground-freeze is obviously in close range. You can use the fact that the opponent will be trying to jump away to your advantage. For example, after a deep cross-over JK, execute a sweep and then a regular freeze. If your opponent was expecting a ground-freeze after the cross over JK, he should be caught by the sweep. At that point, he'll expect the ground freeze to come after the sweep, so he will still be trying to jump away. Your normal freeze will then hit him as he is getting up from the sweep. Another good opportunity for a cross-over JK -> ground freeze -> uppercut.

The slide should catch most people off guard, unless you spam it frequently and they're expecting it. Hence, it should be used very sparingly. Use it under high projectiles, but be aware that if you use it too late, you'll get hit by the projectile during the beginning frames of the slide. Using it out of the blue is risky, so I wouldn't recommend it. If you happen to connect, it will likely annoy your opponent into jumping forward, at which point you can counter in a number of ways (aaRHK, suJK or suJP, etc).

Sub-Zero will always win in a projectile fight (except against liu), and this is one of the reasons he is strong against Baraka (his projectile goes over Sub's head during the freeze animation) and Cage (his projectile's arc goes over Sub's head at mid-screen).
If your opponent has an air-projectile attack, execute a freeze every time they jump away. Some people can't help but throw out a projectile every time they're in the air, and that should cause them to land on the freeze projectile. Even if Sub gets hit by the projectile, your opponent will stay frozen long enough to land an uppercut or corner combo. The damage from that is hard for any projectile to beat.

Overall, a very powerful character in skilled hands, but struggles against quick characters like Liu, Lao, or anyone else above him in the tier list.

*feel free to mention anything that needs to be added or changed. I'm sure I forgot something. I'll edit this post accordingly.

oBryant

Noob
how bout a basic guide? i donno what clips/jab pressure is on mk2.. im kinda dumb.. help a handicap out!

Wow no one has posted on here in a while I hope someone sees this. But I really would love what obryant is asking for a basic guide. I seem to have alot of the characters combos down but I struggle with up close basic combat and that seems to make people strong. Please someone revive this thread. Also it would be real cool to get a guide on liu. I didn't see one in here.

BeRB

Noob
I could probably do liu kang, Since im pretty dedicated to liu kang, Just let me know if there's some format for posting it

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
No need for a Kitana guide, we have a pretty good one already. Scheisse wrote a decent Kang guide, but feel free to post a writeup.

Basic gameplay guide for MKII? I don't have time to do one, perhaps someone could post something?

BeRB

Noob
As far as a basic gameplay guide goes, I can post the basics from my book if that helps any at all

Edit: I also don't see his kang guide maybe im missing it